Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

the short man is efficient and ruthless, being a tall guy is like owning a neo geo instead of a gameboy

Oh I always wanted to be tall but I guess you're saying it... sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I always wanted to be tall but I guess you're saying it... sucks?

it's like, someone asks you to type something for them on their keyboard without moving from their seat, and you have to do it bent double while the blood rushes from your fingers, things like that

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

someone asks you to type something for them on their keyboard without moving from their seat

:confused:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

as in "please type this sentence for me correctly because i cant spell" or "please type your password"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

as in "please type this sentence for me correctly because i cant spell" or "please type your password"

And you... you do it? Tall people are weird.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

And you... you do it? Tall people are weird.

noblesse oblige and so on

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Shibawanko posted:

all men under 185cm have some form of short man syndrome, either pronounced or latent

In my experience, short men are very, very good at all sexual things. Maybe that's a form of short man syndrome? Fine by me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Short people live longer, eat poo poo tallailures

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Short people live longer, eat poo poo tallailures

Not much of a difference between being short and being dead.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All the greatest and worst people in history were short

Long people are basically just filler

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Past a certain level of height, everyone looks like a gangly "Hills Have Eyes" Mutant

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't use the metric system, as god intended, so can someone please break down how tall 185 clown measurements or whatever "cm" stands for is for regular people? Sounds really tall though. Like the height of an apartment complex.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You never see an unhappy tall dude while it’s impossible to find a happy short guy

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've met some fun shorties. You go lil' buddy!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't use the metric system, as god intended, so can someone please break down how tall 185 clown measurements or whatever "cm" stands for is for regular people? Sounds really tall though. Like the height of an apartment complex.

It’s like 6’ or 6’1”

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

I've met some fun shorties. You go lil' buddy!

they always seem like theyre in a hurry though, they're funny little buggers

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

oh sorry, it's like 20 mushrooms tall

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

oh sorry, it's like 20 mushrooms tall

Thank you. Yeah, that's not super tall or anything. I thought it would be like 22 mushrooms tall and was gonna call you crazy.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Being tall has its perks. All surfaces, cabinets, and the ceiling are my domain. Nothing is hidden from me and bugs are not safe even in their domain (the ceiling). But it also has its perils such as most shirts being too short or too wide because it's assumed that you're buying bigger shirts because of fat.

Also my short boss looks very funny talking up to me all serious like one of those boss babies but I suppose he makes more money so who is really the victim here

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Eighteen hands, Mister Vice President.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Being tall has its perks. All surfaces, cabinets, and the ceiling are my domain.

Yeah love to get back pain because every kitchen counter, stove, and sink is built for people at least 10 cm shorter than me. (I'm not even tall.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Being tall has its perks but in my experience it is mostly an exercise in hitting your head on things, always being wary of ceiling fans, and being stopped by complete strangers in stores who ask you to get things for them off high shelves.

Although that last bit's not so bad as they are usually little old ladies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

docbeard posted:

Being tall has its perks but in my experience it is mostly an exercise in hitting your head on things, always being wary of ceiling fans, and being stopped by complete strangers in stores who ask you to get things for them off high shelves.

Although that last bit's not so bad as they are usually little old ladies.

Why do they stock the little old ladies on the high shelves?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

at 6'1" I never think about height at all unless someone is taller than me

I guess if everyone was taller than me it would suck

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Here’s a hot take: being more widely accepted is the only reason the metric system is better. People didn’t live in black and white infomercial world before they decided to use base ten to measure. In fact base ten isn’t inherently more logical than base 12 or any other system.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I read somewhere that base 12 comes from counting the joints of your fingers with your thumb, and also because 12 is divisible by 2, 3, and 4

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Even countries that use the Stupid System use a decimal system at some scales. For small stuff you use inches, for smaller stuff you use fractions of inches (how handy!), for even smaller stuff? Thousandths of an inch congratulations you just went decimal!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shibawanko posted:

it's like, someone asks you to type something for them on their keyboard without moving from their seat, and you have to do it bent double while the blood rushes from your fingers, things like that

Do you go for an awkward around the side method or go all in and drape your arms over their shoulders in some sort of Ghost scenario but with a keyboard

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Even countries that use the Stupid System use a decimal system at some scales. For small stuff you use inches, for smaller stuff you use fractions of inches (how handy!), for even smaller stuff? Thousandths of an inch congratulations you just went decimal!

Because that’s the system of counting we adopted, not because it’s inherently logical

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because that’s the system of counting we adopted, not because it’s inherently logical

I'm not saying it's logical or not logical, just pointing out that it's literally impossible to use a non-decimal system across the board and it makes people who try a laughing stock.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Making the second the time base of SI was a mistake. SI should have gotten its own unit that could be fixed to atomic vibrations.

The second could then be associated with the length of the day, which is increasing in the long term. It is inconvenient to add leap seconds to the end of December or June to account for this. Eventually, two seconds per year won’t be enough and our descendants will be adding them daily.

It will be even worse if the proposals to kick the can down the road pass and we just ignore the error till it has accumulated to a minute or more.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm about 169cm tall -- short enough to be comfortable in an economy airplane seat, tall enough to reach most shelves.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah love to get back pain because every kitchen counter, stove, and sink is built for people at least 10 cm shorter than me. (I'm not even tall.)

That's why, as a majestic 198cm person (about 23 mushrooms), I ensured all benches in our renovated kitchen are about 5cm or so higher than standard. Suck it, future shorty, who will have to deal with it when I'm dead.

On the other hand, I have to get the little old ladies out of the top cupboards for my wife, who isn't quite as tall.

I also literally have no decent long pants at the moment because buying pants longer than 34 inches is impossible in Australia and civilized countries with long trousers don't want to mail them here at the moment.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I wonder if its better to be tall in hot climates and short in cold ones

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

The second could then be associated with the length of the day, which is increasing in the long term.

About six hours currently, less tomorrow, less the day after that, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the US system was base 12 it would be fine. It's being base nothing that's hosed up.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

3D Megadoodoo posted:

About six hours currently, less tomorrow, less the day after that, etc.

Nice try, Finn, but here in the land of the pharaohs, the day begins and ends at high noon.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm not saying it's logical or not logical, just pointing out that it's literally impossible to use a non-decimal system across the board and it makes people who try a laughing stock.

No it's not, decimal systems have not always existed. Dividing an inch into fourths or eighths or whatever is another way of perfectly viable measurement that doesn't require a decimal system. You don't need to understand that .75 and 3/4 are the same to understand what 3/4 of an inch is or that 9 inches is 3/4 of a foot.

Aphrodite posted:

If the US system was base 12 it would be fine. It's being base nothing that's hosed up.

Why? What problems does it cause?

Like I'm "fluent" in both and I've lived in countries that use both. Never in the US is anyone ever inconvenienced at all.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Dec 9, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In fact base ten isn’t inherently more logical than base 12 or any other system.
It is the system we use for counting though. If we wrote numbers in base 12 then it would make more sense to use base 12 for everything, but we don't. If we counted in base eight and used base ten for measures it would be just as bad, because ten would be written "12" and one-hundred would be written "144", whereas eight would be written "10" and sixty-four would be written "100". Using the same system keeps things simple and straight-forward.

And imperial measures aren't base 12 anyway, they're just random nonsense. A gallon is 160 fl oz. A mile is 5280 feet. An acre is the area of a rectangle with sides of one furlong and one chain (which are 660 and 66 feet respectively) or 43,560 square feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I have never run into a situation in my entire life that would be made even slightly easier or better in any way by using the metric system.

"I'll have 4.7 deciliters of beer please" get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense