Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The fridge that came with the house has one of those stupid water dispensers and an almost equally useless ice dispenser. The worst part? Whatever delivery installers they used didn’t get the right adapter for the spigot in the bay for this purpose and instead ran it down into the basement onto a really long stretch of pipe and used a vampire tap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

I was gonna ask why on earth your fridge had a water connection in the first place, but then I remembered those drink-dispenser thingies on the front panels that some of them have. Now this post is about how I have an out of date fridge and therefore am an inferior Jones.

Even without a drink dispenser thingey......ice makers have been a thing for a very long time.

devmd01 posted:

really long stretch of pipe and used a vampire tap.

Always. Always.

You should always get rid of those when you can of course. I still have one that was here when i moved in a couple year ago. I need to get around to doing that before it comes back to bite me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

devmd01 posted:

The fridge that came with the house has one of those stupid water dispensers and an almost equally useless ice dispenser. The worst part? Whatever delivery installers they used didn’t get the right adapter for the spigot in the bay for this purpose and instead ran it down into the basement onto a really long stretch of pipe and used a vampire tap.

Whomever installed the water line for the fridge in my last house laid it across a hot water pipe from the boiler

It was happenstance I found the slow leak when I was in the crawl space checking for creatures

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Motronic posted:

Even without a drink dispenser thingey......ice makers have been a thing for a very long time.

I just had to go pull my fridge out to check this, because I had an ice maker at my last apartment with no water connection (it was siphoning condensate), and yup, this one has a water connection. Huh. I guess that's why I get more than like 5 ice cubes per day out of it now. :downs:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sundae posted:

I had an ice maker at my last apartment with no water connection (it was siphoning condensate)

I did not know that was a thing. Ewwww.....

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

The fridge won't be covered under insurance since it's not "part" of the house. I'm doubting the rest of the damage will be enough to be worth making a claim. Still enough to gently caress me financially for a good long time!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Oof, that's a timely disaster because I keep batting around the fridge plan as my next project. My place has an almost-new fridge with a water dispenser and icemaker, but no water line to it, and I've been waffling about what to do with it. It would be neat to have the thing actually functional because it's superficially annoying to have this big panel with blue lights be fully nonfunctional and have so much freezer space devoted to nothing. On the other hand, if we had bought our own fridge, we would have just gotten one that doesn't have that stuff even if we did have a water line.

Pros: it'd be an easy run of braided stainless, just need to drill through the cabinets and there's room to tap the sink with a tee fitting, no saddle valve bullshit

Cons: these motherfuckers seem like they leak all the time even when done properly, and why would I introduce that risk for a thing that is mostly just an appeal to compulsion?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Fridge waterline talk is making me feel super good about having a huge access panel for the back of the fridge in my kitchen redesign, which will be accessible via basement stairwell.

Current fridge is a dumb basic Frigidaire with neither an ice maker or dispenser and we get along fine with it. Ice maker would be very nice but no way in hell would I ever want to deal with a dispenser. Pitcher of water in the fridge serves the same purpose without a bunch of gimmicky failure-prone electronics and sensors and filters that need changing and poo poo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I keep thinking about hookinig up the ice maker, then I read about this and realize I"ll just fill trays.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Has manual ice cube making technology advanced at all in the last century? I don't even have ice now because I've got a stupid half sized fridge with microscopic freezer and decided I didn't care enough about ice cubes to sacrifice the space. Whenever I get around to my kitchen remodel I had assumed I'd get something with an ice maker but this discussion has me reconsidering. Is there anything better out there besides little plastic trays that I always end up spilling inside or on the way to the freezer?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jesus Christ just hook it up.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Dave posted:

maybe once my kitchen gets a remodel and i feel like having a run of an actual water line to it without a saddle valve.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Sharkbite has a kit specifically for replacing those vampire taps, I’ve been meaning to do that for a while now.

But also yeah, ice makers are great. gently caress filling trays and accidentally spilling water in your freezer.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sirotan posted:

Has manual ice cube making technology advanced at all in the last century? I don't even have ice now because I've got a stupid half sized fridge with microscopic freezer and decided I didn't care enough about ice cubes to sacrifice the space. Whenever I get around to my kitchen remodel I had assumed I'd get something with an ice maker but this discussion has me reconsidering. Is there anything better out there besides little plastic trays that I always end up spilling inside or on the way to the freezer?
Pros:
You don't have to fill ice cube trays.

Cons:
More expensive up front cost.
Can't make clear ice cubes with hot water.
Might destroy your house.
Still need supplemental ice if you have people over.
Less freezer space overall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

:smug: Not if you pay too much for an LG fridge where it's all in the door. Then it's less fridge space.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Over a decade ago I bought a set of these 2" actual cube, ice cube trays

https://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Lasting-Sturdy-Silicone-Fade-Resistant/dp/B01M0CLQ72/

IMO they're far superior than anything that comes out of an automated machine. They're extra awesome if you like making cocktails at home, and you can crush them with a hammer (in a ziploc bag) for margarita ice in an emergency etc etc

You'd think the novelty wears off, but it really doesn't, 2" cubes are far superior to those half moon shaped things

That said, our next fridge is getting an ice maker

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Dik Hz posted:

Pros:
You don't have to fill ice cube trays.

Cons:
More expensive up front cost.
Can't make clear ice cubes with hot water.
Might destroy your house.
Still need supplemental ice if you have people over.

I don't care about clear ice cubes, it won't destroy your house, just cause damage, and the ice maker I have provides so much ice I've never run out at a party. The ice bags are for the troughs of beverages.

I've even had mine fail and it was not that bad. I'll replace it with a real valve at some point but it's probably as likely to fail as a dishwasher.

Edit: back before I had an ice maker, I had trays with covers. A little more hassle but it kept the ice neutral tasting. The lids prevented them from absorbing the smells of the fridge.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 9, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

StormDrain posted:

I don't care about clear ice cubes, it won't destroy your house, just cause damage, and the ice maker I have provides so much ice I've never run out at a party. The ice bags are for the troughs of beverages.

I've even had mine fail and it was not that bad. I'll replace it with a real valve at some point but it's probably as likely to fail as a dishwasher.

Edit: back before I had an ice maker, I had trays with covers. A little more hassle but it kept the ice neutral tasting. The lids prevented them from absorbing the smells of the fridge.

Storage space is my problem. Our current fridge has an ice maker in it (one of the old types where it just fills a hopper inside the freezer and you reach in to grab some ice) and if I could rip that thing out and have more room for frozen food I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The real answer is a chest freezer but that's not happening any time soon

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

It's still totally worth hooking up the water to your fridge you nerds

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cyrano4747 posted:

Storage space is my problem. Our current fridge has an ice maker in it (one of the old types where it just fills a hopper inside the freezer and you reach in to grab some ice) and if I could rip that thing out and have more room for frozen food I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The real answer is a chest freezer but that's not happening any time soon

Why no chest freezer? They're great. I found mine free in the neighborhood but I would have paid double that.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

StormDrain posted:

Why no chest freezer? They're great. I found mine free in the neighborhood but I would have paid double that.

Panic food buying at the start of the pandemic wiped out the freezer supply in the US. Lead time is measured in months right now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Pros: it'd be an easy run of braided stainless, just need to drill through the cabinets and there's room to tap the sink with a tee fitting, no saddle valve bullshit

Noooo. Not braided through cabinets and poo poo. Do it right.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-I2K-1-2-in-Brass-Compatible-Copper-Sweat-Connection-Ice-Maker-Outlet-Box-with-1-4-Turn-39130/202078128

It's a real water connection and it should be treated like one. Proper structural copper or pex up to a shut off valve located in the wall near the appliance.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Cons: these motherfuckers seem like they leak all the time even when done properly, and why would I introduce that risk for a thing that is mostly just an appeal to compulsion?

Saddle valve and plastic water lines like you get in the cheap hookup kits are what I see leak. The fridge itself leaking is quite unlikely. Obviously it's possible, but it's not something I'd be basing my concern and mitigation around.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Sharkbite has a kit specifically for replacing those vampire taps, I’ve been meaning to do that for a while now.

FYI, I consider sharkbites temporary plumbing as well. So like, don't do that.

TL;DR:

The Dave posted:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Ghostnuke posted:

It's still totally worth hooking up the water to your fridge you nerds

no. something could happen one day

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I had a hell of a time finding a fridge without in door ice and water.

My reasoning being that it's generally the most failure prone part of the unit. It does have a trough it dumps ice into in the freezer, and it's roughly 6x6x3 feet so I have plenty of space.

I got a deep freeze from a sketchy appliance shop in the ghetto, it was first come first serve first thing in the morning and I gambled and showed up with a home depot rental truck and snagged it. It's old but it works.

The lead times are in fact measured in months normally..

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DaveSauce posted:

Panic food buying at the start of the pandemic wiped out the freezer supply in the US. Lead time is measured in months right now.

Yeah I'm aware but I also saw a stack of them at Home Depot two days ago. If you want a chest freezer you can get one sooner than a few months.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

StormDrain posted:

Yeah I'm aware but I also saw a stack of them at Home Depot two days ago. If you want a chest freezer you can get one sooner than a few months.

Huh, I must have spot checked the wrong ones. My local Lowe's does have a few chest freezers available.

I thought they were still months out for anything. Heard countless people complain about needing one and not being able to find them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Huh, I must have spot checked the wrong ones. My local Lowe's does have a few chest freezers available.

I thought they were still months out for anything. Heard countless people complain about needing one and not being able to find them.

Yeah, they were all 6 months out 8 months ago. I know time hardly makes sense anymore, but that was all during the great TP panic of 2020. They've caught back up and people aren't hoarding as much now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a particular dishwasher that goons recommend? Ours is dying and needs replacing and I ask goons every other "what should I spend money on" question

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a particular dishwasher that goons recommend? Ours is dying and needs replacing and I ask goons every other "what should I spend money on" question

Bosch 800 series.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

Bosch 800 series.

This is the right answer.

I will say my current house came with a higher end Whirlpool dishwasher that does a good job and is pretty quiet (47db). I have no plans to replace it until it dies a natural death, but when I do replace it, it'll be a Bosch 800 series.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Motronic posted:

Bosch 800 series.

I needed a dishwasher, knew this, and bought a nice floor model from another brand instead, and have regretted it ever since.

Bosch 800 series.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My 2007 Kitchenaid is back to brand new after fixing a tiny issue. The appliance repairman said he repairs more Whirlpool/Kitchenaid (same company) dishwashers than anything else though, so in his anecdotal opinion their quality is no good now

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Motronic posted:

Yeah, they were all 6 months out 8 months ago. I know time hardly makes sense anymore, but that was all during the great TP panic of 2020. They've caught back up and people aren't hoarding as much now.

I saw sporadic availability on HD locally but they had nothing a few weeks ago. Costco just got a small/midsize chest freezers back in stock a few weeks ago.

I don’t really understand how appliance warehousing and distribution works.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Motronic posted:

Bosch 800 series.

We had a high-end GE that broke after about 18 months. Credit card warranty paid us back for it and we turned around and bought a... Bosch 800 series. It's great.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ChineseBuffet posted:

We had a high-end GE that broke after about 18 months. Credit card warranty paid us back for it and we turned around and bought a... Bosch 800 series. It's great.

I have a benchmark series which has the extra drying thing in it (it's just a heat sink with an extra marketing wank name) and it's sooooooo good that it dries plastics nearly all the time. Someone here or in another thread recently said the 800 series now has this as well. So basically the only thing you lose from the benchmark series is the super nerd floor-projected countdown timer (that I decided I couldn't live without) and a built in water softener. Most people need neither of those so the 800 is an even better deal now.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

But also yeah, ice makers are great. gently caress filling trays and accidentally spilling water in your freezer.

I'm so excited for our new fridge to arrive in a few months. Can't wait to finally have a chilled water dispenser and ice cube maker :sun:

Crossing my fingers and hoping there's no issues with the current fridge before then... this year of all years just had to be the one for cascading appliance failures

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

I have a benchmark series which has the extra drying thing in it (it's just a heat sink with an extra marketing wank name) and it's sooooooo good that it dries plastics nearly all the time.

This makes me want to return what I bought from Costco 6 months ago and get it. The ONE time I don’t ask SA for help—I looked at Bosches and talked myself out because some random reviewer probably named xX420Jeepathon69 said it didn’t dry well, which was one of my top criteria

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I have the cheapest Bosch (Ascenta) and it's still the best dishwasher I've used. Absolutely sold on the brand.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

Wait... y'all actually use the drying feature in your dishwasher?? I always have seen it as a waste of electricity & just put my tupperware on a drying rack on the counter (everything else dries on its own just from being hot after a wash.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eig posted:

Wait... y'all actually use the drying feature in your dishwasher?? I always have seen it as a waste of electricity & just put my tupperware on a drying rack on the counter (everything else dries on its own just from being hot after a wash.)

European style dishwashers do not have a "drying feature" like a domestic dishwasher. There are no electric loading coils in the bottom to burn any plastic that may have fallen off the racks. They boost the water temperature for the final rinse and heat the entire tub, then turn off and run a countdown timer while the tub and dishes cool and steam off moisture. It's surprisingly effective when implemented properly like on these Boschs and painfully ineffective when not.