Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

I managed to grab a SF750 with a 50 buck markup off Amazon, and have one for MRSP back-ordered. If the second PSU comes in soon I'm happy to sell you the spare SF750 at cost if you haven't found one yet.

Awkwardly, I've managed to grab all the parts I wanted (3080FE, 5600X*, MSI 550-I, SF750), but the NR200P is now overdue to ship. Since I'm impatient and want to build and game soon, how stupid of an idea is it to grab a random ATX case off Amazon and put my parts in there while I wait for the actual SFF case?

*am cancelling my scan 5900x order, gently caress it, 5600x should be fine and cool better in a FormD T1 eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Rhaka posted:

Since I'm impatient and want to build and game soon, how stupid of an idea is it to grab a random ATX case off Amazon and put my parts in there while I wait for the actual SFF case?

Just build it outside of any case on a wooden or other non-conductive surface clear of other objects, imo

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
build it on top of the motherboard box

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Space is a bit poo poo, so my options for that are limited (metal desk, etc.). Would buying a cheapo test bench work, something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wendry-Com...6867780&sr=8-17

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kunabomber posted:

build it on top of the motherboard box

Unironically this. Your case is a fancy box to hide the guts and keep the dust off.

edit: and the cats out

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Welp. Guess I'll paste over my metal desk with some cardboard and do that, then.

Man it's gonna get so dusty.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
There's always this plastic "test bench" too (similar to the amazon thing really)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viS7iIpSChE

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rhaka posted:

I managed to grab a SF750 with a 50 buck markup off Amazon, and have one for MRSP back-ordered. If the second PSU comes in soon I'm happy to sell you the spare SF750 at cost if you haven't found one yet.

Awkwardly, I've managed to grab all the parts I wanted (3080FE, 5600X*, MSI 550-I, SF750), but the NR200P is now overdue to ship. Since I'm impatient and want to build and game soon, how stupid of an idea is it to grab a random ATX case off Amazon and put my parts in there while I wait for the actual SFF case?

*am cancelling my scan 5900x order, gently caress it, 5600x should be fine and cool better in a FormD T1 eventually

Thanks man, I’ll keep looking but I’m pretty sure we have the same Amazon back order. Also not surprised the Scan estimate for the NR200P slipped. I actually got my 5900X on monday and I had forgotten to order a cooler for it, so now I’m just waiting on that to build it in my current ATX case :negative:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

Unironically this. Your case is a fancy box to hide the guts and keep the dust off.

edit: and the cats out

And also the wiring for your power button. Enjoy jumping the board with a screwdriver.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CaptainPsyko posted:

Enjoy jumping the board with a screwdriver.

Real men use knives. Just sayin'. (which they then wave threateningly at the board when it doesn't work right)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rhaka posted:

Welp. Guess I'll paste over my metal desk with some cardboard and do that, then.

Man it's gonna get so dusty.

It's really not bad, I've run an open air case for years and every 6 months I hold the fans still with my fingers and blast it out with one of these: https://amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B00SI67YRU

You can get them for $30-40 on sale/used from Amazon, invest in one and you'll never have to buy any cans of compressed air for the rest of your life. Just don't touch the tip straight to components because I've heard they can build up a static charge.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

It's really not bad, I've run an open air case for years and every 6 months I hold the fans still with my fingers and blast it out with one of these: https://amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B00SI67YRU

You can get them for $30-40 on sale/used from Amazon, invest in one and you'll never have to buy any cans of compressed air for the rest of your life. Just don't touch the tip straight to components because I've heard they can build up a static charge.

I have this same blower and can recommend. Careful using it on your keyboard tho cause it'll blow the caps right off on the high setting.

Also I had my computer guts just sitting on my desk for like a week before my case arrived. I just put it into sleep mode to avoid having to short the power pins every time.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Question on SFF cases for my specific application:

I'm building a replacement PC for my SO, targeting 5600x and 3070FE for occasional gaming, photo editing, and to last a good while (current PC is from 2012).

It needs to fit within a 39cm wide, 28cm high, 50+cm deep envelope, so I was originally looking at Silverstone SG13. Seems like the 5600x with 120 AIO cooler and the 3070FE would fit in that without too much trouble.

The other requirement I just found out is that it needs to have an integrated SD card reader (so not a USB dongle, I lost that argument). I haven't seen any SFF cases that have integrated readers, so the options I found so far are something like a Cooler Master Elite 130 or Fractal Design Core 500 that have a 5.25 external slot, so I could put a card reader like this in it: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...ctronics&sr=1-3

The other option I found is a silverstone RVZ01 case, with their thin card reader in the optical drive slot: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=717

Thoughts, or other things I should look at for this volume envelope and the card reader?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Vikings posted:

Question on SFF cases for my specific application:

I'm building a replacement PC for my SO, targeting 5600x and 3070FE for occasional gaming, photo editing, and to last a good while (current PC is from 2012).

It needs to fit within a 39cm wide, 28cm high, 50+cm deep envelope, so I was originally looking at Silverstone SG13. Seems like the 5600x with 120 AIO cooler and the 3070FE would fit in that without too much trouble.

The other requirement I just found out is that it needs to have an integrated SD card reader (so not a USB dongle, I lost that argument). I haven't seen any SFF cases that have integrated readers, so the options I found so far are something like a Cooler Master Elite 130 or Fractal Design Core 500 that have a 5.25 external slot, so I could put a card reader like this in it: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...ctronics&sr=1-3

The other option I found is a silverstone RVZ01 case, with their thin card reader in the optical drive slot: https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=717

Thoughts, or other things I should look at for this volume envelope and the card reader?

If you're going for the 5.25" bay option, you can always get a card reader/usb hub with more usb ports than just two in the one you linked. Never hurts to have more usb, especially in a sff case.

Also the Elite 130 is a solid case. It was the first case I ever built a sff pc in.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I like my Fractal Design Core 500 quite a bit too. Lots of options for expansion and a 3070 should fit without fanfare. Also, you can fit an a pretty big CPU cooler (NH-U12S, e.g.) in it, so water cooling isn’t strictly necessary.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 3, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Cross-posting my 5800X temps from the AMD thread...

denereal visease posted:

I've done "an amount" of testing myself and I suspect there may be a sweet spot between 120 and 130W for PPT for balancing temperatures, performance, and average clock speed...

Didn't grab TimeSpy CPU Test data since I encountered an issue where my system wouldn't return to the pre-test baseline temperature without a reboot & I was out of hobby time for the weekend :shrug:

I want to do some testing with the NF-A9 as intake as well...

e:
NCase M1 at 72F (22.2C) ambient
Asus Strix X570-I
2x8 GB G Skill 3800 C14
NH-C14S with NF-A12 Chromax & 2x NF-A12x15 Chromax (exhaust) @ 80%
NF-A9 chtomax (exahust) @ 80%
2x NF-A14 Chromax @ 20%
EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 (fans locked at 10%)
Corsair SF750 Platinum (in SFF PSU position)

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 3, 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Thanks for posting that data, always nice to see people’s setups and the temps they get for various workloads.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

Romes128 posted:

If you're going for the 5.25" bay option, you can always get a card reader/usb hub with more usb ports than just two in the one you linked. Never hurts to have more usb, especially in a sff case.

Also the Elite 130 is a solid case. It was the first case I ever built a sff pc in.
Any specific recommendations? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DKDHMGR/?coliid=I2V30HV1ESH8PC&colid=55ZMNZK5CCX6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it looks like it has good ports, but I'm a little wary of random brands. Startech we use at work and seems fairly legit.

nitsuga posted:

I like my Fractal Design Core 500 quite a bit too. Lots of options for expansion and a 3070 should fit without fanfare. Also, you can fit an a pretty big CPU cooler (NH-U12S, e.g.) in it, so water cooling isn’t strictly necessary.
Good point, I have a D15 on my desktop, might go with a NH-U12A as lots of testing vids seem to conclude that a 120AIO might be hotter/louder than a good air cooler.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

The Vikings posted:

Any specific recommendations? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DKDHMGR/?coliid=I2V30HV1ESH8PC&colid=55ZMNZK5CCX6&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it looks like it has good ports, but I'm a little wary of random brands. Startech we use at work and seems fairly legit.

Good point, I have a D15 on my desktop, might go with a NH-U12A as lots of testing vids seem to conclude that a 120AIO might be hotter/louder than a good air cooler.

Yeah, throwing it out there is all. Air cooling is working fine with a 3600 in that case. Most intense application is gaming though.

As for the expansion bay, I imagine it will work fine, but you might lose function on the case’s USB ports. Depends on the motherboard of course and she might not care.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I'm thinking of adding air filters to the Sliger CL530 whenever I get it. Does anyone make these? Or, does anyone know how to make your own?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Demcifilter will make basically whatever size you want. I have one for the back of my nr200, seems good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Looking to transplant my i7 8700k GTX 1800 ti into a SFF PC from the atx beast it is now.

Was eyeing the NR200 but I'm a little stuck on mobo choices. I'd love optical audio and on board bluetooth since I'm using a USB dongle now which is spotty at best.

I'm also using a NXTZ closed loop water cooler now that I'm not attached to, but it seems air cooling is the way to go in the NR200.

Also any guides for air flow and adding more/fans?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Z370 and Z390 mini itx boards are slim picking since they aren’t being made anymore. The Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX is generally regarded as the best z390 itx board, I used one with a 9900K and it was good. If you’re looking at a newer intel board I like the gigabyte aorus ultra and have heard good things about MSI too. I’ve read the asus strix itx board has some socket compatibility issues with some liquid coolers and the asrock itx boards are mediocre for z490. I don’t know much about AMDs itx boards.

The NR200 does work well with air coolers but liquid cooling is still a good option if you want to reuse your cooler. If you install fans below your GPU set them as intake, place your AIO on the side bracket as intake and mount the top fans as exhaust. I’d replace the included 120mm fan with something else, they are poop. The NR200 comes with a 92mm and 120mm fan.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 6, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

B-Mac posted:

Z370 and Z390 mini itx boards are slim picking since they aren’t being made anymore. The Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX is generally regarded as the best z390 itx board, I used one with a 9900K and it was good. If you’re looking at a newer intel board I like the gigabyte aorus ultra and have heard good things about MSI too. I’ve read the asus strix itx board has some socket compatibility issues with some liquid coolers and the asrock itx boards are mediocre for z490. I don’t know much about AMDs itx boards.

The NR200 does work well with air coolers but liquid cooling is still a good option if you want to reuse your cooler. If you install fans below your GPU set them as intake, place your AIO on the side bracket as intake and mount the top fans as exhaust. I’d replace the included 120mm fan with something else, they are poop. The NR200 comes with a 92mm and 120mm fan.

Yeah, if you're able to find Z-3xx boards, you shouldn't have too big of an issue finding one with Bluetooth and SPIDF.

Absolutely get some good fans for the bottom intake. Admittedly I'm running a 3080FE, which is basically perfect for this, but the extra air blowing right on the GPU is very helpful in SFF designs. If you put your NZXT on the side bracket like B-Mac suggests, you'll pretty much have a saner version of what I have in my Ncase M1. If you can get away with it though, I'd probably put the radiator on the top just for simplicity sake.

If you can't, side mount with fans as intake works great. Taking my experience with the M1, the radiator fans will blow on your RAM which will give it a bit of active cooling, and the general direction of airflow will be up and out the top of the case.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Great, thank you both.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

VorpalFish posted:

Demcifilter will make basically whatever size you want. I have one for the back of my nr200, seems good.

Thanks! I remember finding them when looking for filters but didn't think to look for their custom services. They also apparently have a strange deal where they'll build you a full set of filters and refund you the full cost of the order if you fulfill some specific requirements. I guess this is them essentially crowdsourcing R&D. Neat.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Amazon has the new silverstone 750w platinum psu in stock. I can’t find any reviews really, but it’s probably decent?

SilverStone Technology SX750 750W SFX Fully Modular 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply SST-SX750-PT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PHGCDZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_ptXZFbZ3JFCBY

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Just an FYI, the NR200P does not include the smaller fan. It just comes with 2x 120ml fans.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The smaller fan on the back is pretty much useless most of the time anyway.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
And gets in the way of a lot of the best tower coolers that fit in there

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

It is 100% useless. Top and bottom fan mounts are where it's at for the nr200.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
https://www.techpowerup.com/275208/asrock-rack-brings-amd-epyc-cpus-to-deep-mini-itx-form-factor

https://www.techpowerup.com/275694/asrock-rack-unveils-m-2-slot-graphics-card

The future of SFF builds right here.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Royal mail lost my 5600x. I'm just going to keep waiting for my 5900x backorder from scan, and grab a 3900x in the meantime.

I really don't think the NR200P will get delivered before the T1 arrives sometime in January. FFS, this build is cursed.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Rhaka posted:

Royal mail lost my 5600x. I'm just going to keep waiting for my 5900x backorder from scan, and grab a 3900x in the meantime.

I really don't think the NR200P will get delivered before the T1 arrives sometime in January. FFS, this build is cursed.

Hang in there UK 5900X NR200P guy, I've personally just resigned myself to building my NR200 build between Jan - March next year. Will hopefully bag at 3080ti FE at launch if I can.

Still flip-flopping on just how much I want to go crazy with the guts of the build for my dream editing / grading and gaming rig. Found myself trying to justify getting a 3090 today...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

They did it, the absolute mad lads...

At least if their going to do a proprietary elongation of ITX they went with the direction that my chonker 3080 extends in.

Resonance22
Dec 17, 2006

Canna Happy posted:

Amazon has the new silverstone 750w platinum psu in stock. I can’t find any reviews really, but it’s probably decent?

SilverStone Technology SX750 750W SFX Fully Modular 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply SST-SX750-PT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PHGCDZH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_ptXZFbZ3JFCBY

Speaking of SFX PSUs, anyone have opinions on the Cooler Master SFXs?

I got this 650W Gold from Amazon for $120: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBBQERG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could not find many reviews, but the 10 year warranty gives me some confidence.

On the off chance a Corsair SFX 750w Plat becomes available, is it worth the extra $65 or so? I have a 5600 and am trying to get a 3080 (hahaha).

Resonance22 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 9, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

They did it, the absolute mad lads...

At least if their going to do a proprietary elongation of ITX they went with the direction that my chonker 3080 extends in.
Dan made minor alterations (a cutout to rotate the PSU I think) to his C4 design for builds using that (called the Linus Tech Tips option), it's great :v:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Resonance22 posted:

I got this 650W Gold from Amazon for $120: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBBQERG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could not find many reviews, but the 10 year warranty gives me some confidence.

On the off chance a Corsair SFX 750w Plat becomes available, is it worth the extra $65 or so? I have a 5600 and am trying to get a 3080 (hahaha).

No idea on the Cooler Master PSUs. My last bucket of PSUs have been from SilverStone or Corsair, and I haven't had a problem with either. Given the relative price between the Corsair and SilverStone 750s (and the fact the Corsairs are basically vaporware at this point) I'd give serious consideration to the SilverStone. My only comment is that the Corsair has individually sleeved cables that are extremely easy to bend and move around, while the SilverStone cables are stiff plastic "ribbons."

I'm not sure where they get off saying that makes cable management easier on the Amazon ad. :psyduck:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Resonance22 posted:

They're new which is why you can't find too many reviews but there's no reason to doubt the brand, and 650W is plenty for your 3080 and 5600x.

I wanted a Corsair SF750 for my build (with the same CPU and GPU as you) but it looked like it was out of stock until some undetermined time in January on every site so I saved a bit of money and went for the SF600. OptimumTech did testing and even with an OCed 10900k and 3080 the SF600 never tripped.

Machines & more has a few videos reviewing and comparing those coolermaster PSUs to Corsair ones if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Butterfly Valley posted:

They're new which is why you can't find too many reviews but there's no reason to doubt the brand, and 650W is plenty for your 3080 and 5600x.

I wanted a Corsair SF750 for my build (with the same CPU and GPU as you) but it looked like it was out of stock until some undetermined time in January on every site so I saved a bit of money and went for the SF600. OptimumTech did testing and even with an OCed 10900k and 3080 the SF600 never tripped.

Machines & more has a few videos reviewing and comparing those coolermaster PSUs to Corsair ones if you're interested.

Just don't try and redline that system with the 10900k overclocked to the gills. Ask me how I know. :v: