Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

So potentially silly question: I'm not really hearing much of a difference between Decapitator and a number of cheaper/free saturation plugins, including Cubase's stock saturation. Is there something subtle I'm missing or do these vsts all essentially do the same thing if you work them right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So potentially silly question: I'm not really hearing much of a difference between Decapitator and a number of cheaper/free saturation plugins, including Cubase's stock saturation. Is there something subtle I'm missing or do these vsts all essentially do the same thing if you work them right?

Decapitator is a very well done model of analog hardware saturation effects. Some built in or cheaper saturation effects may not be trying to do any actual analog modeling, while the ones that are trying to do analog modeling might not be as well done as Decapitator (and of course Decapitator isn't the only well done option). Whether or not you need and expensive analog saturation plugin is a separate, impossible to answer question. Saturation is already often times supposed to be a subtle effect, and when used in that manner that means the differences between plugins are going to be even more subtle.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

prom candy posted:

I bought Decapitator and Little Alter Boy, looking forward to doing sweet vocal chop stuff and saturating the hell out of every track

Those are the exact two I want too haha. Currently trying to decide between just paying for those two or scooping the bundle. I think I might use Echo Boy, but the rest seem pretty well covered by Ableton and/or the few other paid VSTs I already have.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

aunt jenkins posted:

Those are the exact two I want too haha. Currently trying to decide between just paying for those two or scooping the bundle. I think I might use Echo Boy, but the rest seem pretty well covered by Ableton and/or the few other paid VSTs I already have.

Yeah that was how I felt, especially with the new effects coming in Ableton 11. I don't need an echo VST when i barely understand the one that came with ableton.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Yep. Alright, pulled the trigger. The first black friday purchase has been occurred, the seal has been broken, and it's only downhill and financial ruin from here.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

I bought Decapitator and Little Alter Boy, looking forward to doing sweet vocal chop stuff and saturating the hell out of every track

I love Little Alter Boy so much. Man it feels creepy to type that but it's true.

The big temptation I am currently just barely resisting is UAD's Capitol Chambers plugin. It's 60% off and I've been coveting it since it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niAcxT49EMM

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I got the SoundToys bundle on a similar black friday deal years ago, and I'd say I use Decapitator, EchoBoy, FilterFreak 1/2 and PhaseMistress the most (and Crystallizer but to a lesser extent). There are a few others I feel I should use more, but for whatever reason haven't made it into my "go-to" reflex yet.

In terms of how they compare to Live's built-in effects: Live's effects are generally much more transparent and in some cases more single purposed. SoundToys are generally much more colored and in some cases are a combination of multiple effects. In some cases you can probably get close replicating SoundToys plugins with built-in Live effects, but will often take a lot of effort and won't always get you 100% of the way there. SoundToys also tends to have more/better presets and controls for getting you close to where you want to be quickly. I see effects like SoundToys more as complimentary to Live's plugins, rather than overlapping but 'better'. If I'm adding effects to a guitar track for instance (or otherwise still working on the sound design of a track and want something more warm/hardware sounding), I'm almost always going to opt for a SoundToys plugin over a Live plugin, but if I already have the sound I want dialed in and need an effect more for mixing purposes, I'd grab a Live effect.

EchoBoy in particular is awesome IMO. If you're on the fence because you already have Live's Echo, I'd definitely grab the SoundToys demo and compare the 2 (roll through the presets and play around with them on a few different sounds) to see how they compare (and in general this should really be the process for any plugin purchase that offers demos).

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I did get hella good results from EchoBoy very quickly on some tracks when I demo'd it. In some cases some of its presets saved my tracks very quickly by adding a much-needed vintage character I was having a hard time dialing in with other delays.

Tremolator also gave me some ideas very quickly I wouldn't have thought of using my usual tremolo/chopper vsts.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you're looking for a cheap Decapitator like saturation that will most likely get you 85% there, Audio Assault's Head Crusher is on sale for $7. I quite like it.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

As for saturation plug-ins, I recommend Klanghelm plug-ins, SDRR has a lot of cool flavors, and their MJUC is a compressor that adds an analog feel as well as mild saturation. I also like the character of Arturia plugins, their preamp emulators and their compressors.

As for free, the JS waveshaping distortion with mild settings is surprisingly usable.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Korg stuff is on sale https://www.korg.com/us/news/2020/1119/

I really like gadget on my iPad for sketches and recently bought the plugins to be able to continue them on ableton.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do any of the major acoustic drum VSTs (addictive, superior, ez, etc.) tend to go on sale on black friday? I have the packs that came with Ableton but it'd be nice to have something really full featured for when I'm doing rock/rnb type stuff

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

Do any of the major acoustic drum VSTs (addictive, superior, ez, etc.) tend to go on sale on black friday? I have the packs that came with Ableton but it'd be nice to have something really full featured for when I'm doing rock/rnb type stuff

It isn't one of the heavy hitters, but I've been using and satisfied with SONiVOX's Universal Big Bang for a little while now, and so far its handled new wave, post punk, surf rock, funk, and 80s lofi goth rock really well. It's on sale for $4.99.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
dang, glad i asked! thanks

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Komplete also has some really good drum libraries, and I think there's a holiday sale on now.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Komplete also has some really good drum libraries, and I think there's a holiday sale on now.

1/2 off. I picked up Kontakt as my big purchase for myself this season for $200.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the deal with Kontakt? It seems like the base software is really expensive and then there's a bunch of libraries that are also really expensive?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pretty much. It's a powerful, easy to use sampler that is easy to make libraries for, so there are tons of incredibly high quality sample libraries for it.

I'd rather use vst synthesizer plugins for synths for the flexibility, but for stuff like strings, horns, and other, weirder poo poo, it's hard to beat. I picked up Audiothing's Organetta on sale a while back which is a sampled toy organ from the 60's complete with a mix knob for the sound of the fan. Can't get something that out of the norm anywhere else.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

aw dang, it looks like NI sales don't stack with crossgrade discounts any more:

quote:

Please note that some upgrades and crossgrades for this product are currently disabled, as the full version is cheaper in the CYBER SEASON Sale.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

i am really liking pendulate for growling bass, has tons of character

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3
I remember seeing an Andrew Huang video within the last two weeks about XLN audios plug-in, XO. For the life of me I cannot find it anywhere. Was wondering if anyone knows the video I’m talking about in might have a link to it. I’ve checked his Instagram, I’ve checked his YouTube, XLN’s site,nothing.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Was it this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JP2nAoRgl0

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

That’s it! Because it listed the electric harp at the beginning, I didn’t watch it through to the end. Thanks, appreciate it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I keep seeing those taishokotos for cheap in the secondhand shops around Naha, I should probably just pick one up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heads up, Izotope's BreakTweaker Expanded is currently around $10 USD, plus you can choose from 1 of 4 free gifts when you buy.

I have a major project coming up that this is going to work perfectly with, I'm so happy :toot:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Soniccouture released a free version of their piano VST: https://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/p322-hammersmith-free/
4.8 GB sample library and 21 velocity layers, not bad for $0.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Heads up, Izotope's BreakTweaker Expanded is currently around $10 USD, plus you can choose from 1 of 4 free gifts when you buy.

I have a major project coming up that this is going to work perfectly with, I'm so happy :toot:

This is worth it even just for the 3GB or so of percussion samples it comes with.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Agreed; I don't really get on with breaktweaker itself (I tend to want more lanes to use) but the sample libraries themselves are fantastic

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have two of the four freebies they are offering. Royal Compressor is nice, but doesn't do anything really special. It saturates nicely when pushed, but it tend to go for a light touch with compressors and don't get much out of that.

Fundamental Bass, on the other hand, goes on every synth bass track I make. Being able to select a frequency at which to split the signal between bass and treble, with bass and treble both having independent stereo imaging letting me keep basa frequencies dead center mono and anything above the cutoff at some point in the stereo image that doesn't clash with anything else in the same frequency range, is incredibly powerful, especially with a strong envelope filter.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
u-he stuff is all 50% off right now (via NI for some reason), more if you get the bundle. Lets see if I can resist the urge to pickup Diva even though I have absolutely no need for another vintage analog modeling synth.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Arturia’s V8 being on Splice’s rent to own is seriously tempting... what’s $25 a month right

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

UncleBlazer posted:

Arturia’s V8 being on Splice’s rent to own is seriously tempting... what’s $25 a month right

You end up paying a lot more going that route (unlike Serum where the rent price works out to about the same as the one time price -- plus the one time price never goes on sale)...isn't it for 24 months? V Collection will drop to the $250-$300 range for new users when they do their big sales, and I've even seen it as low as $200 if you managed to pickup a freebie Arturia plugin when they do a promo. So at the end of the rent-to-own you've paid at least double what you would've paid if you waited for a sale on the one time purchase. Just save your money until next Black Friday (if not sooner...maybe they'll do a summer sale).

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Splinter posted:

u-he stuff is all 50% off right now (via NI for some reason), more if you get the bundle. Lets see if I can resist the urge to pickup Diva even though I have absolutely no need for another vintage analog modeling synth.

Get ZebraHZ then, it does everything and has Diva's filters

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Splinter posted:

You end up paying a lot more going that route (unlike Serum where the rent price works out to about the same as the one time price -- plus the one time price never goes on sale)...isn't it for 24 months? V Collection will drop to the $250-$300 range for new users when they do their big sales, and I've even seen it as low as $200 if you managed to pickup a freebie Arturia plugin when they do a promo. So at the end of the rent-to-own you've paid at least double what you would've paid if you waited for a sale on the one time purchase. Just save your money until next Black Friday (if not sooner...maybe they'll do a summer sale).

Very true, hadn’t thought about sales. For 50% off it’s worth making do until then

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
You also get a discount with Arturia hardware, in case you're thinking about buying a Keystep or Beatstep

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
It's that Free VST gift time of year

Arturia - Juno 6 Chorus
https://www.arturia.com/freegift-chorus-jun6

Native Instruments - Yangqin - Chinese hammered dulcimer
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/celebrate-the-holidays-with-us/

crimedog fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 23, 2020

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

crimedog posted:

It's that Free VST gift time of year

Arturia - Juno 6 Chorus
https://www.arturia.com/freegift-chorus-jun6
Will be interesting to compare this Arturia one to the TAL free version. And, I guess, to the guitar pedal TC Electronic did. Guess it's free because this particular market is very saturated atm?

Tangentially related question, does anybody have any experience with U-he Dark Zebra?

I have the Arturia Moog filter freebie from a while back, and also have Zebra 2, but not this expansion, which is on sale right now. Supposedly the Moog filters from Diva are included in ZebraHZ, but I already have a plugin for that, so unless the quality is significantly better, I'd essentially be paying for a bunch of patches (and a free upgrade in 2 years or so)? I know this goes against against the spirit of the thread, but I'm finding it hard to justify the purchase. Are the new additions worth it? Would love to hear, if anyone's used it before...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anybody else not getting the account confirmation email from Arturia?

edit: nvm, just took like 40 minutes

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The NI Yanquin showed up pretty much instantly in Native Access for me. Last years freeby, Raum (reverb) took days.
I havent tried it yet other than a quick scan through the presets in Komplete Kontrol but they sounded really nice. Not something I'd ever buy but as I have it I'll probably use it somewhere.
The free update for Guitar Rig 6 to 6.1 has some really neat additions, a nice shimmer reverb/delay and an additional version of Replika.
I need to remember that I can use this as an fx host on stuff other than guitar as there's effects in there that I don't have as part of Komplete 13.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Anybody have experience with orchestral scoring libraries? I have the free BBC one from Spitfire and it’s great, just looking for more articulations / varieties along with some techniques to not go crazy with the tracks etc.