Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Zhongli has no "selfish" ability that causes him to personally deal more damage through attacking or even being on the field. This is why he'll never be a proper DPSer.

Trying to make Zhongli DPS is like trying to make Jean DPS. Like, maybe you can work something out, but they won't compete with the proper DPSers. And they would've been much more effective performing a different role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Has anyone with a max constellation Xinyan experimented with bloodstained chivalry with regards to getting some strong spin-to-win synergies going? I got her maxed, but haven't had the time or resources to get a strong 4 piece set.

I'm not a fan of greatsword charge attacks but throwing up a shield before going into a prolonged spin at least seems viable.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wizard Whateley posted:

Has anyone with a max constellation Xinyan experimented with bloodstained chivalry with regards to getting some strong spin-to-win synergies going? I got her maxed, but haven't had the time or resources to get a strong 4 piece set.

I'm not a fan of greatsword charge attacks but throwing up a shield before going into a prolonged spin at least seems viable.

Hmm, I kind of dismissed her C6. But seeing as I'm getting into multiple shield teams, I might as well try something out.

Does the 4-piece bonus only activate if they're on the field?

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.

gandlethorpe posted:

Hmm, I kind of dismissed her C6. But seeing as I'm getting into multiple shield teams, I might as well try something out.

Does the 4-piece bonus only activate if they're on the field?

I'm going with the assumption that Xinyan has to get the kill to activate the bonus spin dmg. But haven't tested it myself. Might blow through some fragile resin to try and make this happen. But if someone has already tried and it's not worth it compared to a more standard setup, I'd be quite curious before investing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It wouldn't be a waste of time to farm at least. Noblesse pieces are useful. Idk if you should use fragiles for it though.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

Good point! I got a Mona I've been leveling off and on. And could totally use that for either her or Xianling.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just pulled Xingqiu (needed to pull 4 more to get to 50, and this was a surprise), is it worth starting to use? I'm pulled a little thin in terms of resources, but having a couple more useful people might be helpful. My current party has been Kree, Jean, Fischel, and Barbara. I have two at 80 and 4 at 70 (including the MC) and it seems ages until I have enough poo poo to move forward anyway.

Also, I didn't want to spend any money on this game, but somehow I'm almost at 50 on the BP, is it worth to pay the 9.99 at that point? It seems like the best deal.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LorneReams posted:

I just pulled Xingqiu (needed to pull 4 more to get to 50, and this was a surprise), is it worth starting to use? I'm pulled a little thin in terms of resources, but having a couple more useful people might be helpful. My current party has been Kree, Jean, Fischel, and Barbara. I have two at 80 and 4 at 70 (including the MC) and it seems ages until I have enough poo poo to move forward anyway.

Also, I didn't want to spend any money on this game, but somehow I'm almost at 50 on the BP, is it worth to pay the 9.99 at that point? It seems like the best deal.

Spending money on Welkin Moon and the BP are both very good uses of money if you spend any at all-- as opposed to top-ups which is a terrible use of money.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Mr Snips posted:

One other thing, when it says Qiqi's abilities scale off her ATK, that's just her base ATK + weapon ATK right? Am I right in thinking that if I gave her a +ATK% sword her abilities don't gain anything from it?

No, abilities that say "ATK% + (some amount)" in their details page calculate damage using your total attack, including any ATK% bonuses. Abilities that scale off base attack use character base + weapon base and say base attack specifically, like Bennett's Q.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If nothing else, the BP is a nice dopamine hit of watching a million resources pour in at once, and thinking you're rich until you hit the next ascension level.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I'm a couple of weeks in at AR29 running a pretty rubbish MC, Xiangling, Barbara, Amber party. Other than Sucrose, I only have the characters you get through story progression, what's the best thing to be pulling?

I've done both beginner pulls and I'm not remotely interested in Zhongli, but am I best pulling against that banner anyway, or should Ijust save up until there's a banner with a character I actually want?

I just feel I'm bumping up against what I can do with the team I have without investing in leveling them all up a lot more and I don't really want to do that until I've got a character I want to play for the long term.

Any suggestions?

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

the strangest thing about Diona is her Skill being press/hold. the hold is strictly better in every single way (except cooldown I guess) and only takes like and extra .5 seconds. maybe if you're really trying to generate energy quickly you'd use press a couple of times?

Diona's shield gives you the Cryo status for a split second, which will cleanse any other status you have. Tap means you have more access to the cleansing effect, which is great for domains that debuff you while you have a particular element, like the Liyue weapon upgrade domain.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Loonytoad Quack posted:

I'm a couple of weeks in at AR29 running a pretty rubbish MC, Xiangling, Barbara, Amber party. Other than Sucrose, I only have the characters you get through story progression, what's the best thing to be pulling?

I've done both beginner pulls and I'm not remotely interested in Zhongli, but am I best pulling against that banner anyway, or should Ijust save up until there's a banner with a character I actually want?

I just feel I'm bumping up against what I can do with the team I have without investing in leveling them all up a lot more and I don't really want to do that until I've got a character I want to play for the long term.

Any suggestions?

Xiangling is probably the best 4* carry in the game when you put the craftable 4* spear Crescent Pike on her, and MC is a fine support/off DPS. Barbara is a fine healer but drop her the second you can raise someone better. Amber is generally agreed to be the worst character in the game due to bad % numbers on her talents.

For rolling, you should probably decide whether to roll based on how whether or not you like the 4*s on the banner, since those are the units you're most likely to get before ~75 rolls, when the 5* soft pity starts kicking in. Your intuition not to roll on the standard or weapon banners is correct. The weapon banner might be better in the future, but you should only roll on the standard banner with the fates you get for free.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bennett should be on next banner so ideally you'll want to save 50 rolls to have a good shot at hitting him. Its not a meme when people say he is second best unit in the game (and is super fun on top of it).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

Bennett should be on next banner so ideally you'll want to save 50 rolls to have a good shot at hitting him. Its not a meme when people say he is second best unit in the game (and is super fun on top of it).

Oh dang I am definitely pulling hard on the next banner. Hopefully I'll still be close to pity once Ganyu comes around since Albedo will surely be my next pull. I have C1 Bennett, but getting those talent boosts would be absolutely delicious.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

No Wave posted:

If the next region depends on having a source of fire, it would make sense to have an all fire 4* cast for the next banner. Though character banners tend to be diverse, and Xinyan in the current banner has a fire shield that cleanses the ice debuff.

Flair fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 9, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The two characters that lots of leaks have indicated will be on the next banner are albedo and rosaria, which are geo and cryo. Bennett is the only 4* to not be rate up so people are expecting him as well. This means - assuming no elemental overlaps ewhich has been true until now- the last one would have to be electro, hydro, or anemo, meaning the only options are sucrose/fischl/beidou/razor/barbara/xingqiu. Beidou+Razor seem too recent so I'm excluding them, Barbara is in the shop this month so it would be bizarre to have her, meaning it should be a pretty great banner for 4*s (I'm personally hoping for fischl).

Amber/Kaeya/Lisa arent even in the pool of units you can pull on the rate up banner so we're probably safe from them as well.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

LorneReams posted:

Xingqiu with Klee is awesome, especially if you have a sac sword. Favonious sword is next best thing. His ult can do a poo poo ton of damage. I don't think there another ult that does as much single target damage. I'd replace Barbara with him if you've become comfortable with Jean as a healer. He gives some damage mitigation as well.

I was running Jean and Barb for a while, but focusing on leveling up Jean's ult talents has let me use her as my primary healer.

My main team right now is Klee/Zhongli/Xingqiu/Jean

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ashenai posted:

That's overstating it a lot. The lowest XP mat is 1000 XP, which is around 10 mob kills maybe, depending on your WL.

It's still not worth farming mobs for XP, but if they were worth even just 5 times as much then it absolutely would be.

And that's understating it a lot. Mob kills aren't worth 100xp

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Flair posted:

If the next region depends on having a source of fire, it would make sense to have an all fire 4* cast for the next banner. Though character banners tend to be diverse, and Xinyan in the current banner has a fire shield that cleanses the ice debuff.

Hopefully true. Pyro really needs the spotlight.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

No Wave posted:

I got him, but thought he sucked when looking at his powers so left him alone...what makes him good?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he provides near constant healing and raw atk to your team in addition to cleansing some debuffs, with his ascension stat being ER% so it's easier to build him for that

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

His heal works unbelievably fast, he can overheal past 70%, he generates more particles with A4 than any other character in the game (by like 33%). You basically get a 10 second circle where you can't die on a 12 second cooldown, with a 40% damage buff on top of it, while he charges your ults faster than anyone else can. You really have to bring him to 60 and ascend him to see how dumb it is.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 9, 2020

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Magus42 posted:

And that's understating it a lot. Mob kills aren't worth 100xp

Don't forget that each party member gets the full xp. A 17xp hillichurl is actually 68xp split 4 ways. It's still not a lot but that's only 15 kills for a green book. Its not nothing but it's not a meaningful amount until you aggregate the whole party across days of play.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
He heals much faster and more often than other healers and can also generate a ton of energy. It also helps that he's Fire incase you need two for the attunement buff.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
2 questions.

1. If you pull a 5-star before 70, does that reset the pity effect? Got Jean at 50 but still wishing for Diluc. Also, does the 90 pull 5-star guarantee only apply to the limted time banners?

2. I'm at adventurer level 31, with no quests anywhere and the map almost fully explored. How do I get to level 35 for the next quest?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Cobalt-60 posted:

2 questions.

1. If you pull a 5-star before 70, does that reset the pity effect?

Yes.

quote:

Got Jean at 50 but still wishing for Diluc. Also, does the 90 pull 5-star guarantee only apply to the limted time banners?

No, both character banners have a 90-pull 5* guarantee and a 10-pull 4* guarantee. The weapon banner also has a similar guarantee, but at 80 pulls for a 5* instead of 90.

(To answer your next question, the three pities are separate: pulling 40 on the Wanderlust banner and 50 on the Zhongli banner will not guarantee a 5*. However, pity does carry over between character banners, so if you pull 50 on the Zhongli banner and don't get a 5*, then you'll get a 5* within your next 40 pulls on the next banner.)

quote:

2. I'm at adventurer level 31, with no quests anywhere and the map almost fully explored. How do I get to level 35 for the next quest?

Do all your commissions every day, and find chests to open. There are also a bunch of one-time domain exploration bonuses, so do all the domains you can where the rewards say "Explore:" (like Hidden Palace of Guizang Formula).

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 9, 2020

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I guarantee there are rich veins of chests to open for you somewhere on the map.

Also there are several hidden quests, some of which are pretty cool!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

No Wave posted:

His heal works unbelievably fast, he can overheal past 70%, he generates more particles with A4 than any other character in the game (by like 33%). You basically get a 10 second circle where you can't die on a 12 second cooldown, with a 40% damage buff on top of it, while he charges your ults faster than anyone else can. You really have to bring him to 60 and ascend him to see how dumb it is.

Venti probably charges your ults faster but it's venti

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chests aren't a real source of XP. Every chest on the map is like 8 days worth of daily commissions. Daily commissions are where basically all AR xp comes from long term.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Andrast posted:

Venti probably charges your ults faster but it's venti
I'm using that goon's chart:
But yeah if A4 Venti ults 3 times a minute and you fully count the swirled element he wins hands down at something deranged like 74 particles/min. Outside of that Bennett wins easily at 48 particles/min under ult - the next runner ups are Razor/Venti without swirl at 29.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 9, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Diona isn't on there? I'm using her hold E as my battery and I'm pretty pleased with her output, although I don't know the numbers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think that pre-dates diona. I would be surprised if she did much more than 20/min, even with 200% ER it takes me more than 3 holds to get the 65 energy I need. (No Xinyan/Zhong/Tartaglia either)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

Chests aren't a real source of XP. Every chest on the map is like 8 days worth of daily commissions. Daily commissions are where basically all AR xp comes from long term.
the stretch between 30 and 40 isnt long term, tho, and its dry as hell, so using that boringass stretch to get the chests (which you're gonna do anyway) makes sense, if you havent got them already. it's also about the point where you unlock the treasure hunting gadgets so...

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth

No Wave posted:

So if I want to advance in this single-player game, I need to quit playing and just log in for dailies for weeks? What the gently caress.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Apparently, some accounts are randomly getting a version of Zhongli's burst with like ~1 second longer duration. Could be testing to put in a buff.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cobalt-60 posted:

So if I want to advance in this single-player game, I need to quit playing and just log in for dailies for weeks? What the gently caress.
It's rough. There's a whole three hours of story content you're missing out on if you quit now.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

No Wave posted:

It's rough. There's a whole three hours of story content you're missing out on if you quit now.

dont be an rear end. the problem with the 30-40 stretch is that it empty of content AND theres no meaningful character progression you get during it. At least at 40 you can start getting good poo poo from artifact domains, and getting the occasional yellow in a great set feels amazing when you've been using purple berserkers gear for the last 25 ARs.

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 9, 2020

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Yep. Sorry! (Oh also, use all your resin every day.) Genshin is a hybrid action-RPG and mobile gacha game, and the "mobile gacha" part is what you're experiencing now, complete with progress gating.

These games are meant to be played at low intensity for a very long time (years). If you can't accept this part of it, you should be aware that it's going to get worse from now on.

Your other option is to accept that you're basically done with the game for now, and play something else until new content comes out (Dragonspine Mountain will be released on December 23, it should be a pretty solid new chunk of content.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Cobalt-60 posted:

Some of the chests respawn and just exploring will eventually get you levels. I haven't grinded anything much (except for right now getting characters and weapons to 80) and I hit 43 and am now just finding it slowing down. And there is tons of poo poo I'm sure I missed in GEO land.