Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I was asking if there was a source for the statement that "the pattern they sourced it from is literally the device used to trigger epileptic seizures in sensitive individuals."

That would be pretty wild if they sourced it literally from the device used to trigger epileptic seizures. Not impossible, but somehow more effort than just throwing in some flashes. It was an early cut of the game, so it may have changed, but when I saw a video including that scene, it looked a lot like camera flashes that rapidly flash then flash big to reduce redeye. Of course, red eye reduction flashes are also known to trigger seizures in sensitive people!

You would never get CDPR to admit to that, or anyone to admit to "we sourced the pattern from an epilepsy machine". At most you might get an oops, and a patch to fix it, which is what I hope they did, because a boilerplate right before the EULA stating "videogames can cause epileptic seizures" is not a big enough warning when you have intense flashing light patterns in your game like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

orange juche posted:

because a boilerplate right before the EULA stating "videogames can cause epileptic seizures" is not a big enough warning when you have intense flashing light patterns in your game like that.

No argument there.

I was just curious if they literally put an epilepsy test in their game, and the answer seems to be "no, but they did something fuckin' stupid and functionally similar."

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

orange juche posted:

Probably most likely they followed the "rule of cool" and sourced a cool flashing pattern for the brain dance sequence. The problem is the pattern they sourced it from is literally the device used to trigger epileptic seizures in sensitive individuals. They could source a different sequence and replace it but yeah it's going to be hard for them to undo this fuckup, and their fanbase who did that should get in some sort of poo poo over it, but that's separate from anything CDPR is responsible for, as they did not encourage dumbass fans to do that to a reviewer. The reviewer could pursue civil charges versus the individuals who did it though for sure.

Didn't this exact thing happen on twitter/social media in the last couple of years? People deliberately sent gifs to someone to give him a seizure, and he tried to sue them or have them charged? Does anyone remember what the hell I'm thinking about?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I remember what you're talking about, can't remember who

Eta: it was Kurt Eichenwald, it was charged as aggravated assault

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
fwiw the part about CDPR cultivating that fanbase is a reference to how their social media spouted Gamergate references and all kinds of baiting gamer behaviour. It's not a very strong claim but I don't think it's a stretch to think that having the game's official accounts getting in on edgy shitposting helps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Didn’t they fire that guy?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Fallom posted:

Didn’t they fire that guy?

Sounds like they axed a GOG guy but unclear on the Cyberpunk tweet.

https://kotaku.com/gogs-community-manager-was-fired-for-offensive-tweets-1830922081

I think they did apologize for both the GOG and cyberpunk tweets.

E: the twitch streams look pretty great cant wait to play later tonight

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I don’t think CDPR did anything malicious but it was stupid enough for me to not pay $60+ for the game.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll wait until it comes up on gamepass.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Woofer posted:

I don’t think CDPR did anything malicious but it was stupid enough for me to not pay $60+ for the game.

I just watched a stream with the thing - it's literally just 2 strobes that flash for - 3 seconds to signal the transition to the memory recall. You'll see more intense strobes walking down the street.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

TCD posted:

I just watched a stream with the thing - it's literally just 2 strobes that flash for - 3 seconds to signal the transition to the memory recall. You'll see more intense strobes walking down the street.

I don’t think strobe lights should be flashing in the street either.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
One of my favorite street taco trucks used to face white and red strobes toward an intersection. Pretty sure the cops made them take it down cause, well, it was pretty awful even if you had no light sensitivity.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

One of my favorite street taco trucks used to face white and red strobes toward an intersection. Pretty sure the cops made them take it down cause, well, it was pretty awful even if you had no light sensitivity.

Sorry - in the game in the club zones. Even the streamer was looking around and was like - that's it?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There was some ad or something on Adult Swim a few nights ago and it was jarring to me with the intensity of the flashes, it couldn't have been good for someone sensitive to them.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Please tell me you're not saying "I don't think it's that big a deal" about the strobe effect when someone actually suffered a grand mal seizure because of it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Please tell me you're not saying "I don't think it's that big a deal" about the strobe effect when someone actually suffered a grand mal seizure because of it.

Right? Then they were harassed by people trying to give them more seizures. Not exactly something to play off

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'll wait until it comes up on gamepass.

i think someone said it was on the nvidia now thing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't have a gaming pc, so it's wait until gamepass for me.

I have plenty to waste my time until then, still working on Gears Tactics, all that EA poo poo is now on gamepass. Besides, probably need to wait until I can find a Series S. My xbone overheats too much as it is.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

TCD posted:

The electric soldier porygon strobe sequence in Pokemon was only about 3 seconds long and sent hundreds of kids to the hospital in Japan. It doesn't take much, just someone who isn't aware that they're sensitive to epileptic triggers to look at it without averting their gaze as soon as they realize what it is. Usually folks who know they are epileptic have methods to cope with the potential for triggers simply as a survival mechanism (averting their eyes if they see a flash, eyepatch to ensure that they're looking at 2 separate things, though i'm not saying either is really the way this should be handled). The game should have been delayed again while they comb over everything for potential epileptic triggers and deal with them, either removing them wholesale or flagging them off via a toggle in the options menu, first option is safer and likely won't be noticed by 99.9% of gamers, as well as a prominent epilepsy warning just in case there's anything possible they missed, or a potential geometry bug causes a strobe sequence.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought people were saying they intentionally added a known seizure trigger but now it seems more like they unintentionally missed some triggers from lighting effects and will fix it ASAP

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

McNally posted:

The strobe effect and machine in question has been shown for at least 6 months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCAhG52Fe50&t=97s

It wasn't like CDPR hid this from gamers and left it to be an easter egg for epileptics. What I am saying is that as someone who isn't photo/light sensitive, I thought it was going to be more an intense experience based on the feedback the author's post created. Instead the stream was more of the same footage already demonstrated.

While not a huge genre buff, I thought the game's implementation was a bit of a nod to some of the other source material including:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwl5MBzTCRQ

Should CDPR have had more warnings besides the two in the EULA - yes? Should they have a toggle to disable flashing lights - yes? Should the feature be stripped from the game for everyone - no? The author has self-admitted to repeatedly playing multiple games that cause her seizures, which is one of the reasons why the video games have all of these warnings in the first place - to warn the segment of the populace that have extreme photosensitivity.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Why are you dying on the hill of make video games safer?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fallom posted:

I thought people were saying they intentionally added a known seizure trigger but now it seems more like they unintentionally missed some triggers from lighting effects and will fix it ASAP

They were, which is typical Twitter hyperbole. People in the bad thread were repeating that the devs intentionally inserted seizure triggers for the laughs, which I mean, 2020, but at the same time wow at the massive legal liability this would introduce if it was intentional. No amount of "videogames may cause epileptic fits" boilerplate would shield CDPR if it were discovered that they knew and intentionally inserted seizure triggers.

I am not a lawyer but if it were discovered (via leaked internal communications or the discovery process in a potential case) that CDPR knew that the sequence caused epilepsy but left it in because rule of cool or whatever, is there any grounds for a potential lawsuit for malicious actions?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 9, 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

TCD posted:

The strobe effect and machine in question has been shown for at least 6 months.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCAhG52Fe50&t=97s

It wasn't like CDPR hid this from gamers and left it to be an easter egg for epileptics. What I am saying is that as someone who isn't photo/light sensitive, I thought it was going to be more an intense experience based on the feedback the author's post created. Instead the stream was more of the same footage already demonstrated.

While not a huge genre buff, I thought the game's implementation was a bit of a nod to some of the other source material including:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwl5MBzTCRQ

Should CDPR have had more warnings besides the two in the EULA - yes? Should they have a toggle to disable flashing lights - yes? Should the feature be stripped from the game for everyone - no? The author has self-admitted to repeatedly playing multiple games that cause her seizures, which is one of the reasons why the video games have all of these warnings in the first place - to warn the segment of the populace that have extreme photosensitivity.

Wait, was the part the flashing blue lights? Because that was not at all what I expected. I didn't know something that seemed so minor could trigger something so crazy.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fished this out of the bad thread

That Italian Guy posted:

E: moved to the new page for visibility.

Doing a rough transcript of the spoilerfree Q/A from this super long video so that you don't have to go through 3h of it. I may miss some short Q/A here and there but it should be most of the content. Also, I'm going to skip Qs where the answer is "I don't know". I've skipped Q/A that were too spoilery for my taste, although I've included some very light spoilers under spoiler tags.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_w3SNmw-Y8

This is everything* from the first 1h32m of the video.
* with the above caveats.

• How bad are bugs?
    Didn't encounter many, mostly cosmetic, only 1 gamebreaking (unable to complete a quest). She has a lot of tolerance for jank, though.
  • Are there enough interiors?
    There's a ton of them, you won't see them all in a playthrough.
  • Do you think you will keep playing after finishing the game?
    Game is fun, rather do another playthrough though.
  • Are guns floating all the time?
    Seen some, not many.
  • Where can I learn more about the lore?
    Linked playlists.
  • Can we make V look like M. Kusanage?
    Not sure if there is an appropriate hairstyle.
  • Bullet sponginess?
    A bit, especially at first, until you start mixing in other types of damage (IE: combat hacking).
  • Can you go into cyberpsychosis?
    No, V doesn't have enough implants allowance to get into it. But you encounter a lot of people affected by it.
  • Can we change the hairstyle after the start?
    Haven't found a hairstylist yet.
  • Does the game feel short?
    No, 50h in she feels like she has just scratched the surface. She thinks a 15-20h completion is only possible in a "speedrun" way of playing the game. (skipping dialogue, only main quest, etc).
  • Are there Activities in Night City beside side quests?
    Yes, several types.
  • Can the game be paused at any times?
    Yes.
  • Can you enter the NET at any time?
    No, it's tied to the story/quests.
  • Does you character change appearance based on the cyberware installed?
    Yes, although not noticeably for most things.
  • Is the lore in the game good, as an expert?
    Yes, and the more you know before playing, the more you'll appreciate the game. You won't be able to get the full experience on a second playthrough cause you'll already know what's going to happen; and you won't know the lore on the first one.
  • What should I concentrate on if I want to learn lore?
    Not really a spoiler, but Johnny Silverhand, Samurai Band, Nomads, Arasaka. Also megacorps in general. The Soulkiller Virus and Alt Cunningham.
  • How is the game handling LGBTQ and T matters in particular?
    Can't answer without spoiling stuff, but according to her, better than most games.
  • How viable is non-lethal/stealth/hacking?
    Very, although it's easier to just shoot people in the face.
  • What's the best origin?
    Depends on preference, she picked Street Kid as a starter and she later discovered it's the shortest.
  • Male Romances?
    Couldn't find one yet, not even paying. There are sex scenes though.
  • Can you harvest enemy cyberware?
    Yes, but you will have to go to a ripperdoc to have it installed.
  • Can you change the size of your character?
    Not sure, but she doesn't think so.
  • Leisure activities in Night City?
    Not sure, she went to clubs during quests. Only found one 1 night stand.
  • Is the main story "a master piece" from the lore pov?
    She hasn't finished it yet, but she is positively impressed by the depth and complexity of the Cyberpunk-specific lore.
  • In your opinion did this game live up to the hype?
    Yes. The only thing she didn't like is the melee combat.
  • Is Braindance only used in mission or can you use it as entertainment?
    It's used for several things, not just detective things.
  • How's the shooting, as a FPS aficionado?
    It's satisfying, especially when combined to other mechanics.
  • Is the hacking minigame still a thing?
    Yes.
  • How does the level/weapon/enemy scaling work?
    Not many quests reward you with gear, you can dismantle looted equipment and craft stuff or sell it and buy better equipment. You can also upgrade existing weapons. There are also side-upgrades (IE: tracking or ricocheting bullets). Items are usually tied to the neighborough (some are cheaper with shittier equipment, other are fancier and have better equip). Street Cred is also important cause fixers pay you more if you have more cred/some items require a min level of cred to be used.
  • Are you forced to wear specific clothes due to the stat they provide?
    No. Also if you have a piece of equipment you really like that is not cosmetic, you can keep upgrading it instead of replacing it.
  • How's the gore? Can you see bulletholes in enemies?
    The game is quite gory, but no bulletholes that she could see.
  • Is there more than 1 HMG?
    Yes.
  • How serious/comedic is the game?
    Quite comedic, especially with certain characters Johnny Silverhand.
  • Can you censor nudity?
    Maybe, haven't tried.
  • Recomended difficulty?
    Normal, unless you feel it's too hard/easy to be fun. Quest themselves have several tiers of difficulty.
  • Are there unique items/guns?
    Yes. And you can keep upgrading them if you like them.
  • Can we :420:
    Haven't tried, not sure if there are recreational drugs, although there are a lot of consumables.
  • Are there shurikens?
    Haven't seen any.
  • Is there more than 1 save slot?
    Yes.
  • Can you customize the look of your cyberware?
    No.
  • Will reading just the Cyberpunk Red book be enough to prepare for the lore?
    No. CB R gives you the basic, but you should at least learn more about Arasaka
  • Cyber pets?
    Haven't seen any.
  • How is the driving?
    She likes it, she doesn't like driving in general. She thinks GTA driving sucks, for a comparison. Driving with a controller feels really different vehicle from vechicle. She recommends bike because peak hour city center traffic is bad.
  • Do the non main NPC feel more realistic than other games'?
    They look really good, they are not super memorable/interactable, although they react to stuff. Crowds feel very different location from location, though.
  • How much does your life path matter?
    Not sure, but it opens quests/dialogue options. It matters a lot how much you feel like roleplaying your V.
  • Are boss fight fun?
    They are ok, but nothing memorable.
  • Should I preorder this?
    Preordering doesn't really add much, so only do that if you want to play at launch.
  • Is the city as alive as it shows in the trailers?
    Yes, depending on the location and time of the day.
  • Can you pay to have sex with men in the game?
    She's tried, but couldn't yet.
  • How's the crafting?
    You can create or upgrade items, you need blueprints and materials. It's quite standard. You can craft anywhere.
  • Is the exploration worth it?
    Yes, the city is beautiful.
  • Fastest way to make Eddies?
    Sell everything you loot at first.
  • Can you become enemy of certain factions?
    Maybe, she may have become an enemy of the NCPD
  • Can you join gangs?
    Not really, you are a mercenary.
  • How many voice options are there?
    Two.
  • Can you use the restrooms in game?
    Didn't try.
  • Can you customize your character height/weight?
    Not sure.
  • Are there any failstates outside of dying?
    Doesn't think so.
  • Are there locations with hidden/special loot to reward exploration?
    Yes (although she has only found 1, not looking for it specifically though).
  • Are there any long coats?
    Yes.
  • Are cars/bikes expensive?
    She's not sure, she got hers through quests or stealing.
  • Is money useful?
    Yes, higher end equipment/cyberstuff is more expensive.
  • Is this your GOTY?
    GOTY year just started so difficult to say.
  • Are there good options in combat?
    Yes.
  • How are the clothing customization options?
    You have a ton of them.
  • Can you take selfies?
    Yes, just use the selfie emote and them move the camera where the phone would be.
  • Are you enjoing this more than Skyrim?
    Yes, although she didn't like Skyrim/doesn't like fantasy in general.
  • Are there GTA style wanted levels?
    No, either NCPD is looking for you or they aren't.
  • Can you create a Transexual character?
    Yes* (*depending on the definition of Transexual, I would add).
  • Are there gloves?
    Haven't found any.
  • Are you satisfied with how Arasaka was presented in the game?
    Yes :D
  • Can you read books?
    Found only 1 book that she interacted so far and it was an easter egg.
  • Is there something lorewise that you didn't expect?
    Yes.
  • Is the dialogue in real time?
    No, although you may have limited time to pick an option on certain dialogues, like in TW3 (otherwise you'll stay silent).
  • Do iconic items/people look different from the lore?
    Yes, everything has been redisigned to fit the new aesthetic.
  • How hard is to make a lot of money?
    You can grind, it's not too hard to make money. The difficult part is not to spend it all immediately on all new shiny crap.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Intensity of stimulus to normal people has nothing to do with how epileptic people respond jesus christ lol

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Eej posted:

Intensity of stimulus to normal people has nothing to do with how epileptic people respond jesus christ lol

Right it's like holy fuuuuuuuuuuuck

If you want a good idea of what it's like to be epileptic, check out the biographical graphic novel Epileptic (L'Ascension du haut mal ("The Rise of the High Evil") in its native French). This dude inspired the art style of Persepolis. It's a fascinating insight into a hard to understand affliction and you have no idea how awful and callous it is to treat people with such disregard.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
:lol: the corpo start went pretty much exactly like i thought it would

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Did you find the corpo potheads smoking joints in the bathroom?

Anyways, Cyberpunk 2077 is every bit as cool as I thought it would be so far, it's immersive as gently caress. I easily get distracted just running off and checking things out.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I found a dead drunk driver with his car underwater with records saying he won a pure breed cat while gambling. And there is a cat there with him....underwater, and alive but you cant do anything with it. Robot cat? Bug? Who knows! But at least I got some good loot from the drunk driver.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I did not notice which thread I clicked until after I read that post.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean it might be army thread

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Assault rifles and smg does less damage than a pistol. :psyduck: Oh and shotguns have a range of about 2 feet. :rolleyes:

In one of the first missions I said gently caress it and .... drew my katana. I could kill everyone while barely getting hit. Using a gun? Nope sorry you have to hit them more and they will blast you even behind cover.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
game is extremely good

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ded posted:

Assault rifles and smg does less damage than a pistol. :psyduck: Oh and shotguns have a range of about 2 feet. :rolleyes:

In one of the first missions I said gently caress it and .... drew my katana. I could kill everyone while barely getting hit. Using a gun? Nope sorry you have to hit them more and they will blast you even behind cover.

Once you get a decent AR, you'll move off the pistol imo, I'm going with AR, tanto, and sniper rifle.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

The electric baton is surprisingly capable if you dont want to kill everyone you meet. If you do want to kill them I guess you could pop a few security rounds on the way out.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I haven’t bought it yet, but I have some questions.
How’s the actual gameplay feel?

Is it a responsive shooter along the lines of a counter strike/CoD or something less responsive, either because of implementation (euro jank / fallout 3) or because of design (typical rpg shooter where if feels good but you have a pea shooter because your skill rating isn’t grinded up?)?

How’s movement? Is it grounded and weighted, floaty and like your on ice? Someplace in between because you can get different upgrades that push you in one direction or another?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I haven’t bought it yet, but I have some questions.
How’s the actual gameplay feel?

Is it a responsive shooter along the lines of a counter strike/CoD or something less responsive, either because of implementation (euro jank / fallout 3) or because of design (typical rpg shooter where if feels good but you have a pea shooter because your skill rating isn’t grinded up?)?

How’s movement? Is it grounded and weighted, floaty and like your on ice? Someplace in between because you can get different upgrades that push you in one direction or another?

I'm still starting out - it feels... it's not as polished as CoD. And at the start, most enemies will still take multiple HS which is different than most other shooters. My initial take is somewhat better than Fallout, but it's not a FPS.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

TCD posted:

I'm still starting out - it feels... it's not as polished as CoD. And at the start, most enemies will still take multiple HS which is different than most other shooters. My initial take is somewhat better than Fallout, but it's not a FPS.

I’ll wait for someone a little further on. I’m ok with a skill grind to an extent, but if everything just seems lagged and slow I have trouble getting into it. I never finished Fallout 3 because of it. New Vegas didn’t feel as bad, plus it actually had a decent story so I was able to finish it. So if Cyberpunk is at least up to that I should be able to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Am I crazy or is there no way to see your weapon's ammo count in Cyberpunk?