Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Apparently Alamo Drafthouse is doing so bad financially that the CEO is selling off his/their entire collection of Mondo posters, some ~2300 in all. Alamo owns Mondo so I can only assume this is one of almost everything Mondo has ever released.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/records/80/sort/4/15.html

Holy poo poo what is with some of those prices? I mean I know Mondo and all... but those are way above market value. Is it because it's a charity thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

Holy poo poo what is with some of those prices? I mean I know Mondo and all... but those are way above market value. Is it because it's a charity thing?

There's a bunch I saw that seem pretty consistent with prices I've seen over the years (Olly Moss' Star Wars, Tyler Stout's Kill Bill, Drew Struzan's The Thing). A bunch of them are really low number versions and they are coming right from Tim League's collection. Seems cheaper than most ebay auctions to me.

edit:

Related: been unpacking some art that has been in boxes since my move and hung this up in my office last night. I know it's probably not close enough to the ceiling for some folks, but I absolutely love it.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 9, 2020

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

There's a bunch I saw that seem pretty consistent with prices I've seen over the years (Olly Moss' Star Wars, Tyler Stout's Kill Bill, Drew Struzan's The Thing). A bunch of them are really low number versions and they are coming right from Tim League's collection. Seems cheaper than most ebay auctions to me.

edit:

Related: been unpacking some art that has been in boxes since my move and hung this up in my office last night. I know it's probably not close enough to the ceiling for some folks, but I absolutely love it.

I guess so - also I thought that Laurent Durieux Jaws was newer than 2013. Nevermind I guess.

Shame my signed Laurent Durieux BTFII Mondo isn't worth that much ha.

Also I'm about to get rid of my entire Mondo and BNG collection (well except for a few rarities I have actually hung up).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My interest in Mondo tanked almost immediately once it became impossible to actually buy a print from them directly and you had to hit ebay 5min after they sold out because everyone was using bots to rush their site. Kinda seemed like the artist quality also really dwindled in the last 5-7 years.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

My interest in Mondo tanked almost immediately once it became impossible to actually buy a print from them directly and you had to hit ebay 5min after they sold out because everyone was using bots to rush their site. Kinda seemed like the artist quality also really dwindled in the last 5-7 years.

Yeah I had a really bad customer support sitch with them and that soured me on them. Then I moved over to Bottleneck Galleries who are loads better. Or they were....

Just today there was a Gabz LOTR triptych going on sale. I wanted to get the foil variant. And, it should be noted that, when I'm ready, I've been 100% able to get what I wanted from BNG. They actively cancel bot orders and aren't as in-demand as Mondo.

But today - as I was hittin' F5 - the *second* the Foil Variant popped up it was sold out. Ugh. Of course people on twitter are all "uh.... wtf BNG?" and they haven't responded.

That combined with the subject matter just being the same over and over and over again... I'm done with the poster game for a while. I don't even hang most of them. It's a dumb obsession!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I had a really bad customer support sitch with them and that soured me on them. Then I moved over to Bottleneck Galleries who are loads better. Or they were....

Just today there was a Gabz LOTR triptych going on sale. I wanted to get the foil variant. And, it should be noted that, when I'm ready, I've been 100% able to get what I wanted from BNG. They actively cancel bot orders and aren't as in-demand as Mondo.

But today - as I was hittin' F5 - the *second* the Foil Variant popped up it was sold out. Ugh. Of course people on twitter are all "uh.... wtf BNG?" and they haven't responded.

That combined with the subject matter just being the same over and over and over again... I'm done with the poster game for a while. I don't even hang most of them. It's a dumb obsession!

Had never even heard of Bottleneck Galleries before, guess I'll keep an eye on them. Though, I am not really in the movie poster collecting game anymore, it really is just the same properties over and over.

Do you happen to know of any good sites for discussion and resale for a lot of these things? Not just gig and movie posters but artist print editions. I'm aware of Expresso Beans, which is an ugly website filled with lovely people with a pretty robust resale area and release discussion community, but I don't know of anything else (Reddit either sucks for this or I suck at searching). Trying to discover new artists and art to collect but I only ever seem to hear about things after editions are sold out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

Had never even heard of Bottleneck Galleries before, guess I'll keep an eye on them. Though, I am not really in the movie poster collecting game anymore, it really is just the same properties over and over.

Do you happen to know of any good sites for discussion and resale for a lot of these things? Not just gig and movie posters but artist print editions. I'm aware of Expresso Beans, which is an ugly website filled with lovely people with a pretty robust resale area and release discussion community, but I don't know of anything else (Reddit either sucks for this or I suck at searching). Trying to discover new artists and art to collect but I only ever seem to hear about things after editions are sold out.

Yeah BNG is basically like a Mondo alternative (with a few crossover artists). Just not as lovely as Mondo. Other than the Gabz attempt today I'm pretty much out of poster game too. Occasionally I popped off to get an artist print from Daniel Danger or other folks, but that waned away too.

I don't really go anywhere to discuss them. Just here back in the day. I've been in several artist centric groups on FB from time to time.

But ultimately I've just discovered that these sort of "drop" communities are just almost always toxic. It's very rarely people collecting to get the product, but people just hell bent on reselling it on eBay instead. That's part of what drove me off collecting them as well.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sirotan posted:

Apparently Alamo Drafthouse is doing so bad financially that the CEO is selling off his/their entire collection of Mondo posters, some ~2300 in all. Alamo owns Mondo so I can only assume this is one of almost everything Mondo has ever released.

That textless version of The Thing is great but you can find hirez versions of it online and order a print for like $30 at most, lmao.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inzombiac posted:

That textless version of The Thing is great but you can find hirez versions of it online and order a print for like $30 at most, lmao.

I mean, sure, but it won't be a screenprint that is signed by Drew Struzan. They also did a glow in the dark variant that I still kick myself for not picking up when it wasn't absurdly expensive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sirotan posted:

I mean, sure, but it won't be a screenprint that is signed by Drew Struzan. They also did a glow in the dark variant that I still kick myself for not picking up when it wasn't absurdly expensive.

Speakin' of I have the Blade Runner textless (aka "art print") signed by Struzan up in my office at the moment. One of my prized possessions but he signed them with dark purple pastel on a black background. You can barely see it. When I point out it's signed people point to the OG signature that's part of the print and are like "oh yeah!" and I'm like "no not that one...." and then people squint and say "ah... ok ... yeah?" lol

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

BonoMan posted:

Speakin' of I have the Blade Runner textless (aka "art print") signed by Struzan up in my office at the moment. One of my prized possessions but he signed them with dark purple pastel on a black background. You can barely see it. When I point out it's signed people point to the OG signature that's part of the print and are like "oh yeah!" and I'm like "no not that one...." and then people squint and say "ah... ok ... yeah?" lol

Lol I have the titled version of this signed print, and yep.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sirotan posted:

If he's the CEO of Alamo, and Alamo owns Mondo, then couldn't he replace all of these just by having Mondo print more for him?

It's the perfect crime

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

There's also a coffee table book The Art of Mondo if you want to look at them all without paying top dollar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I haven't bought any screen prints in a good few years, I loved them but it's such an expensive game to be in. Also still remembering the time I cut my finger open on the edge of a tube my first ever order came in and got blood on the canvas, d'oh. Luckily the frame hides that bit.

Alas, all my stuff whether in frames or in poster tubes is several thousand miles away from me right now. Severe lack of wall space in my current house means that probably won't change for a while either :(

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I got Tyler Stout’s Robocop from his site back in the day.

Again, hanging on a wall in another country. I think maybe it’s actually sitting in a closest now since it was my bedroom but now it’s a guest room.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, now I really want to get that BNG Lord of the Rings poster thanks to this thread....

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Man, now I really want to get that BNG Lord of the Rings poster thanks to this thread....

The Gabz stuff is fun (I have his Star Wars triptych rolled up in my closet) but ultimately it's just too busy for me to hang. I like his subtler singles (I have this Indy hanging in my home office: https://bottleneckgallery.com/products/gabz-indy).

The amount of posters stacked in tubes in my work office (not home) and in my closets at home is embarrassing. It's part of why I had to stop. Like... 80% of my stuff will never be hung.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Thinking about it, I have no idea how you'd do a good poster for that film.

John Wick style where it’s a wall of white hands pointing guns at the pregnant woman of color.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This is so extra. I love it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm excited for the Greta Thunberg cinematic universe.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

im so hyped for this

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Browsing the Mondo auction and I think I've fallen in love with the tall blue 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea poster but I could never justify spending $500+ on it :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

In terms of good movies that got lovely posters, it's hard to top Existenz

Only the Japanese one is decent

Instead of making new posters for movies that already had good posters like The Thing or Star Wars, Mondo should focus on making posters for Existenz

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Gripweed posted:

In terms of good movies that got lovely posters, it's hard to top Existenz

Only the Japanese one is decent

Instead of making new posters for movies that already had good posters like The Thing or Star Wars, Mondo should focus on making posters for Existenz

I mean, I like eXistenZ as much as the next guy, but I think its American marketing pretty much conveys the level of quality you’re in for... as far as 1999 movies go, The Matrix this is not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think Jude Law licking that quasi-yonnic portal of light actually does a decent job of preparing you for a Cronenberg film.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

zenintrude posted:

I mean, I like eXistenZ as much as the next guy, but I think its American marketing pretty much conveys the level of quality you’re in for... as far as 1999 movies go, The Matrix this is not.

I mean it's better than The Matrix but go on

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Maxwell Lord posted:

Talking about production quality which I’m not sure is really comparable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

zenintrude posted:

Talking about production quality which I’m not sure is really comparable.

eXistenZ has arguably the best prop in movie history

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I know you're talking about the cool rear end bone and teeth gun, but I like the fleshy game pod and dumb little glowing putty phone too.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

I know you're talking about the cool rear end bone and teeth gun, but I like the fleshy game pod and dumb little glowing putty phone too.

Dog prosthetic?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair, those definitely all look like the first thing that would pop into your head as the poster for something called eXistenZ. They look destined to be printed out on the inkjet in the computer lab which is running slightly low on ink.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

you must be joking

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

you must be joking

Don't get me wrong, The Matrix is a fine film, but eXistenZ is Cronenberg in top form.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Are there any other movies which embrace the idea of organic/fleshy tech the way eXistenZ does?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If those existenz posters didn't have people on them and I already didn't know it was a movie, I'd think it was gas station dick pills.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Are there any other movies which embrace the idea of organic/fleshy tech the way eXistenZ does?

Assuming you’re meaning “other movies” to actually read “other movies [besides other Cronenberg films]” because...

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

It' such a shame that James Woods turned out to be a CHUD and a sexual harasser, 'cause Videodrome is such a motherfucker of a movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vincent posted:

It' such a shame that James Woods turned out to be a CHUD and a sexual harasser, 'cause Videodrome is such a motherfucker of a movie.

Its really weird that nobody has remade Videodrome because the idea works just as well today as it did 40 years ago. Just substitute "website" for "cable TV."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

Its really weird that nobody has remade Videodrome because the idea works just as well today as it did 40 years ago. Just substitute "website" for "cable TV."

Well there's always Computer Hearts

https://vimeo.com/340562046

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

muscles like this! posted:

It's wild that there has been exactly one good piece of fiction about the internet, it came out in 1998, and hasn't aged poorly at all.