Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Wasn't paying attention and my Brother who was my vassal got disposed and there was a new vassal in his place. Perhaps he got usurped?

My solution was to revoke that guys' lands away and gave it back to my Brother.

How did this happen and how can I avoid this? I'm on the max level of crown authority so I thought this was impossible for vassals to fight one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They can still get overthrown by rebels, maybe that's what happened.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Femtosecond posted:

Wasn't paying attention and my Brother who was my vassal got disposed and there was a new vassal in his place. Perhaps he got usurped?

How did this happen and how can I avoid this? I'm on the max level of crown authority so I thought this was impossible for vassals to fight one another.

If he had his own vassals, they probably did a "Buttscratch McFartbucket for Duchy of Hairgel" faction and he either lost or caved.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Femtosecond posted:

You can check the title history for whatever titles he had. It should show why the new guy got the title.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think a ruler gets deposed if they lose a tyranny war against their vassals too, and the AI seems to trigger those an unhealthy amount of the time.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Thanks for answering all my little questions, I'm finding this game to be a lot like Monster Hunter where it helps to have a good community to ask individual questions because of how dense the information overload is.

I could use some advice on this situation regarding vassals and dynasty... I haven't really looked at how Dynasties work but my understanding is you want to expand your dynasty's power as long as it doesn't create infighting or threats of distant relatives usurping you?

I'm playing as King of Ireland, all but 2 counties are in my kingdom and I'm looking to delegate. I hold the duchy of Ulster title and 2 of its 3 counties. The remaining Ulster vassal (high stewardship and intrique) is very angry because of a combined -65 from "wants to be on the council" and "liege holding duchy title" but otherwise would like me. I'd like to smooth over that region. I'm thinking of landing my Nephew (average stewardship) because he loves me, is part of my dynasty but has no claims, and for RP purposes he's been with me from my start and lost his eye in the battles to win my throne. 

Should I (Note: I saved and tested the below scenarios to make sure my opinion predictions were correct)

1) Grant a county to my nephew and make him the duke? 
  • Pros: He loves me, at +100 opinion even with the -25 from me continuing to hold one of his duchy counties.  I'd have a strong supporter in this dynasty member with no claims to threaten me with, in a strong position in my kingdom. The grumpy ulster vassal is no longer my problem.
  • Cons: He'd be a powerful vassal but just average skills to bring to my council, and potentially complications I'm unaware of from making a dynasty member one of my most powerful vassals.

2) Grant a county to my nephew, make the other Ulster vassal my Duke?  
  • Pros: He would like me even with the -25 from me holding one of his duchy counties, and would be an excellent steward or spymaster on my council.
  • Cons: I wouldn't be boosting my Dynasty that much, and while he likes me wouldn't be as completely loyal as the Nephew.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 9, 2020

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks for answering all my little questions, I'm finding this game to be a lot like Monster Hunter where it helps to have a good community to ask individual questions because of how dense the information overload is.

I could use some advice on this situation regarding vassals and dynasty... I haven't really looked at how Dynasties work but my understanding is you want to expand your dynasty's power as long as it doesn't create infighting or threats of distant relatives usurping you?

I'm playing as King of Ireland, I hold the duchy of Ulster and 2 of its 3 counties. The remaining Ulster vassal (high stewardship and intrique) is very angry because of a combined -65 from "wants to be on the council" and "liege holding duchy title" but otherwise would like me. I'd like to smooth over that region. I'm thinking of landing my Nephew (average stewardship) because he loves me, is part of my dynasty but has no claims, and for RP purposes he's been with me from my start and lost his eye in the battles to win my throne. 

Should I (Note: I saved and tested the below scenarios to make sure my opinion predictions were correct)

• Pros: He loves me, at +100 opinion even with the -25 from me continuing to hold one of his duchy counties.  I'd have a strong supporter in this dynasty member with no claims to threaten me with, in a strong position in my kingdom. 
  • Cons: He'd be a powerful vassal but just average skills to bring to my council, and potentially complications I'm unaware of from making a dynasty member one of my most powerful vassals.

• Pros: He would like me even with the -25 from me holding one of his duchy counties, and would be an excellent steward or spymaster on my council.
  • Cons: I wouldn't be boosting my Dynasty that much, and while he likes me wouldn't be as completely loyal as the Nephew.

I think that generally you want to hold the counties under the duchy title you own. The reason is that if you put an elective succession law on the duchy title, then a.) you control the results of the election and b.) the duchy title and the counties underneath are not split under confederate partition. So what I would do is land your nephew with a county you have outside the duchy title, and revoke the county title your vassal has, either with a reason or taking the tyranny hit.

If you have to choose between the two options, probably 1.) is better? You have more options to deal with dynasty members, especially as dynasty head. As your nephew, he is likely to have a positive opinion of you and is unlikely to inherit claims. Why would you give a random vassal more power when you won't even give them a council seat?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Me and a friend have finally started a multiplay game and we are already very gay, very incestous and very muslim. We have started an albino breeding project, but we dont know what our objective should be. Initially we thought of just making ourselves a dynasty of albinos, but today I had the idea of back breeding them so that we have an entirely designed base of albino vassals.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Technowolf posted:

If he had his own vassals, they probably did a "Buttscratch McFartbucket for Duchy of Hairgel" faction and he either lost or caved.

huh yeah ok. Sounds pretty likely. Good to know.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
If you don't tick the convert culture or faith box when appointing a guardian, is there still a chance of either happening anyway? Or can you control this now unlike in CK2 (other than assigning guardians much older)?

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 10, 2020

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Tender Bender posted:

I'm playing as King of Ireland, all but 2 counties are in my kingdom and I'm looking to delegate. I hold the duchy of Ulster title and 2 of its 3 counties. The remaining Ulster vassal (high stewardship and intrique) is very angry because of a combined -65 from "wants to be on the council" and "liege holding duchy title" but otherwise would like me. I'd like to smooth over that region. I'm thinking of landing my Nephew (average stewardship) because he loves me, is part of my dynasty but has no claims, and for RP purposes he's been with me from my start and lost his eye in the battles to win my throne. 

• Pros: He loves me, at +100 opinion even with the -25 from me continuing to hold one of his duchy counties.  I'd have a strong supporter in this dynasty member with no claims to threaten me with, in a strong position in my kingdom. The grumpy ulster vassal is no longer my problem.

Consider that the high stat vassal will eventually die and you'll have to put their useless heir on the council or risk pissing off a powerful Duke. Same may still happen with your nephew but at least it will be family.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I had a weird case of that.

Pope was going to call a Crusade for Syria against the massive unified Seljuk empire but I redirected it to small "only Shia in the world" Egypt. Won handily and my sister became queen of Egypty. Just a few months later she was somehow deposed in a peasant revolt by a dude who died right after so now a 3 year old, whose only claim to the throne was his dad leading a peasant revolt, was in charge. Then she somehow managed to kick the toddler off the throne and became a Crusader Queen again.

Also I had a weird bug where I died and the game told me it was game over despite me having several kids and grandkids then it crashed. Loaded it up again and the old emperor was still alive and even lived for several years longer than he should've. Now I'm his son and have inherited Aquitaine and Scotland from mum. My main heirs are twin sons one of whom is significantly better than the other which I guess means I should disinherit the older shittier one.

Next long term goal is taking over France. Which might take a while because the French king has a lot of troops and some pretty strong allies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

If you don't tick the convert culture or faith box when appointing a guardian, is there still a chance of either happening anyway? Or can you control this now unlike in CK2 (other than assigning guardians much older)?

As far as I know they will not convert unless you explicitly tick these boxes, yes. Although one thing to bear in mind is that if they are landed, after they finish their education if their new culture/religion doesn't match their capital, they may convert back. If you're seeing a lot of people swapping culture/religion even though you aren't telling your educators to do it, it might be because of that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

scaterry posted:

I think that generally you want to hold the counties under the duchy title you own. The reason is that if you put an elective succession law on the duchy title, then a.) you control the results of the election and b.) the duchy title and the counties underneath are not split under confederate partition. So what I would do is land your nephew with a county you have outside the duchy title, and revoke the county title your vassal has, either with a reason or taking the tyranny hit.

If you have to choose between the two options, probably 1.) is better? You have more options to deal with dynasty members, especially as dynasty head. As your nephew, he is likely to have a positive opinion of you and is unlikely to inherit claims. Why would you give a random vassal more power when you won't even give them a council seat?

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Consider that the high stat vassal will eventually die and you'll have to put their useless heir on the council or risk pissing off a powerful Duke. Same may still happen with your nephew but at least it will be family.

Thanks! I realized I didn't fully explain why I'm intent on bailing from this duchy: I'm planning on holding two other Duchies. Thanks for helping me see the light of Family. This one vassal's stats are temporary, but Family is forever.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The ruler designer letting you start with the prerequisites for the Strengthen Bloodline + Witch Coven decisions right from the start is amazing, and also kind of broken. Especially if you play one of the religions that accepts witches, like most of the Eastern ones do.

I personally like Vaishnavism, because it has a 2/3rds chance of giving you the wise man trait on a pilgrimage, it makes that trait a virtue, and once you have it you can have a Mystical Communion every 5 years which gives you 1/3rd of a learning perk. You can also choose a Bhakti for free whenever you want, but you probably want to stick with the -33% stress + bonus health as you get older, or the +10% taxes & +20% stewardship xp early on.

Witch Coven gives you a random full free perk every 10 years + bonus health/fertility, while Strengthen Bloodline gives you bonus health + better traits.

All combined together, and your first ruler is going to live to be really old.

This was from 5 years before I died, you can see all the stacking health bonuses:

By the time the 1 year warning popped up my starting character was 89:

By the time I died, my 53 year old grandson was my heir, since so many of my kids had already croaked.

Beautiful + Hale + Quick is the cheapest way at 260 points. If you play with bisexual preference, Beautiful/Hale is a +35 opinion bonus for most people. Also, Sayyid for only 25 points is probably too good, since it's another inheritable +5 opinion.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Reforming my catholic faith (into a faith that worships Judas, hallowed be his name) to have secular clergy is so so so overpowered. My 38 learning vassal is now my chaplain and can forge a claim in 3 months.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

binge crotching posted:

The ruler designer letting you start with the prerequisites for the Strengthen Bloodline + Witch Coven decisions right from the start is amazing, and also kind of broken. Especially if you play one of the religions that accepts witches, like most of the Eastern ones do.

I personally like Vaishnavism, because it has a 2/3rds chance of giving you the wise man trait on a pilgrimage, it makes that trait a virtue, and once you have it you can have a Mystical Communion every 5 years which gives you 1/3rd of a learning perk. You can also choose a Bhakti for free whenever you want, but you probably want to stick with the -33% stress + bonus health as you get older, or the +10% taxes & +20% stewardship xp early on.

Witch Coven gives you a random full free perk every 10 years + bonus health/fertility, while Strengthen Bloodline gives you bonus health + better traits.

All combined together, and your first ruler is going to live to be really old.

This was from 5 years before I died, you can see all the stacking health bonuses:

By the time the 1 year warning popped up my starting character was 89:

By the time I died, my 53 year old grandson was my heir, since so many of my kids had already croaked.

Beautiful + Hale + Quick is the cheapest way at 260 points. If you play with bisexual preference, Beautiful/Hale is a +35 opinion bonus for most people. Also, Sayyid for only 25 points is probably too good, since it's another inheritable +5 opinion.

Yep, the only good strategy for ruler designer is to start with the prerequisites for strengthen bloodline and found witch coven, because it removes all the RNG needed to take said decisions, and persists past your character. Although I don't take Sayyid because I find it easy to breed in and also prevents you from taking consecrate bloodline, which allows you stack another +5 same faith opinion, along with the other benefits.

I found out the hard way that crusader king and faith warrior have a huge downside-- if you change faiths at all, they disappear!

Idk if people care, but I did spade some ruler designer values:

starting health values
0-47 5.0
48-65 4.0
66-120 3.0

starting perk points:
18 1
21 2
42 9 + free lifestyle trait
45 10
69 18 + two free lifestyle traits (nice)
72 19
75+ 20

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I haven't played in a while, does your heir still divorce the genius, beautiful, fertile wife you got him in order to remarry a random useless woman because the new alliance will get them 89 more levies compared to the previous wife?

I know I shouldn't land heirs, but also, why do heirs act like they're complete lunatics when landed?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I haven't played in a while, does your heir still divorce the genius, beautiful, fertile wife you got him in order to remarry a random useless woman because the new alliance will get them 89 more levies compared to the previous wife?

I know I shouldn't land heirs, but also, why do heirs act like they're complete lunatics when landed?

I don't think the AI will divorce their spouse unless they have some reason, like cheating or incest or something. I haven't ever seen this happen since I started playing, and I almost always land my heirs--my experience has been that the whole "your heir acts crazy once you give them land" is way overstated. It was more of a thing in CK2 for sure though.

Edit: I just make sure to give them duchies where they can hold all the counties so they don't have any count-tier vassals. Baron-tier vassals are basically powerless so they're fairly harmless, but counts can cause problems.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 10, 2020

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
My biggest problem with landing idiot children has been them getting immediately deposed for their terrible policies and leadership.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is there any benefit to holding your de jure capital? Since a king can only hold two, I'm debating making Dublin's two-County duchy or just keeping the three-county duchies on the north and south ends of Ireland. My realm capital is Munster because twelve hours in I'm still on my "keep playing after the tutorial" playthrough.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Is there any benefit to holding your de jure capital? Since a king can only hold two, I'm debating making Dublin's two-County duchy or just keeping the three-county duchies on the north and south ends of Ireland. My realm capital is Munster because twelve hours in I'm still on my "keep playing after the tutorial" playthrough.

Nah. Only duchy capitals matter because of duchy buildings.

To be pedantic, there are really, really minor applications in that you can always move your realm capital to the dejure capital of your primary title, even if you have moved it already. Since you can change the primary title anytime, this means you can move the realm capital multiple times, allowing you to take multiple decisions that require your capital to be in a certain location.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tender Bender posted:

Iirc, the one thing you can do with a de jure capital that sets it apart is that you can always move your actual capital to that holding without waiting for count-downs. I suppose this could have some fringe benefit as a backup plan if your capital happens to suddenly be located in a volatile region. Since they usually have decent terrain and special-purpose upgrade slots, this means your backup location isn't just some random three-upgrade hole in a swamp.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As others have said it really doesn't matter.

The exception to that is when playing as a count level ruler, then you actually want to make sure your capital and primary title are different, because you'll always get to keep both on succession.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
When starting a new multi-duchy that will eventually become a kingdom, is it better to give multiple conquered counties to one vassal or divvy them up to multiple vassals.

Seems like the obvious decision calculus is having one vassal to manage (easier) vs having that vassal be more powerful. But in addition to that, is there anything I'm missing?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Midgetskydiver posted:

When starting a new multi-duchy that will eventually become a kingdom, is it better to give multiple conquered counties to one vassal or divvy them up to multiple vassals.

Seems like the obvious decision calculus is having one vassal to manage (easier) vs having that vassal be more powerful. But in addition to that, is there anything I'm missing?

If you're planning on making them a duke eventually they'll pay you more taxes if they hold all the counties directly. On the other hand, if the counties have the wrong religion making more counts will make them convert their counties faster, since they'll each have a court chaplain/realm priest. There a lot of little factors but overall I don't think it matters too much, it really depends on how comfortable you are with holding your realm together.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think the AI will divorce their spouse unless they have some reason, like cheating or incest or something. I haven't ever seen this happen since I started playing, and I almost always land my heirs--my experience has been that the whole "your heir acts crazy once you give them land" is way overstated. It was more of a thing in CK2 for sure though.

Edit: I just make sure to give them duchies where they can hold all the counties so they don't have any count-tier vassals. Baron-tier vassals are basically powerless so they're fairly harmless, but counts can cause problems.

Are there characters in this game that don't cheat or do incest? :aaaaa:

A God drat Ghost posted:

My biggest problem with landing idiot children has been them getting immediately deposed for their terrible policies and leadership.

This is also true and I guess historical too? Sounds plausible at least :v:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TorakFade posted:

Are there characters in this game that don't cheat or do incest? :aaaaa:

Granted, it works a lot better when your religion allows both of those things.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

If you're planning on making them a duke eventually they'll pay you more taxes if they hold all the counties directly. On the other hand, if the counties have the wrong religion making more counts will make them convert their counties faster, since they'll each have a court chaplain/realm priest. There a lot of little factors but overall I don't think it matters too much, it really depends on how comfortable you are with holding your realm together.

I do like the trend over the centuries. Being so careful to allocate counties to individuals that I want to raise up, making sure they don’t have too much power, hemming and hawing about each decision. And then once you hit mega emperor you’re just like “ah gently caress, i guess this dude can get a kingdom and everything inside of it, who cares”

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
So Ive been learning a lot while playing Ghana. I created a bunch of duchies and handed them out. I created three kingdoms and held those titles, but when my first ruler died, only the original kingdom of Ghana passed to my heir and not the two I formed later. I couldn't set my heir as a vassal of anything, because I married the heir off and they ended up gaining control of their own kingdom which was absorbed into Ghana upon death of the first ruler.

What did I do wrong?

I was just about to create the Mali empire right as i died. I'll be able to take one of the kingdoms back militarily with ease, but the smaller one is an ally currently.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
It's called confederate partition and is the default inheritance law for most realms in the early game. It'll create every possible title that can be created by you upon death and divide it up between your children (sons if I remember correctly for Ghana). Even if you didn't create the other two kingdoms, your brothers would've gotten them.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hundred Years War can eat a dick.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hundred Years War can eat a dick.

Always surprised to see that others don’t make a beeline for Iceland in an English game. I like giving it to a brother and just letting him live in peace

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

Always surprised to see that others don’t make a beeline for Iceland in an English game. I like giving it to a brother and just letting him live in peace

I honestly avoid the far northern parts of the map because I don't like how scrolling through the map projection feels.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Does anyone know why this poo poo keeps happening? Each of these three factions consists of exactly one member, including the one founded by the claimant himself – who disbands and reforms it immediately every few months.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Gantolandon posted:

Does anyone know why this poo poo keeps happening? Each of these three factions consists of exactly one member, including the one founded by the claimant himself – who disbands and reforms it immediately every few months.

Motherfuckers don’t know their place

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gantolandon posted:

The main cause would probably be an acute lack of :ese:
Or possibly a pressing need for some abduction and demands to give up claims…

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Tippis posted:

The main cause would probably be an acute lack of :ese:
Or possibly a pressing need for some abduction and demands to give up claims…

I really wish there was a “loving try me” button when those pop up. Though I suppose that’s just what imprisonment is for but I’d love something like the diplomacy check where you can neg someone or go “how dare you speak back to your liege!”

I want to see a faction form, and I hit a button that is essentially “gently caress around and find out”

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is the overseer perk bugged? I have counties that say they're at "absolute control", but then the tooltip says -10% from low control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

I really wish there was a “loving try me” button when those pop up. Though I suppose that’s just what imprisonment is for but I’d love something like the diplomacy check where you can neg someone or go “how dare you speak back to your liege!”

I want to see a faction form, and I hit a button that is essentially “gently caress around and find out”

That would be really nice actually. Sometimes I want that populist revolt to kick off now, not in 18 months when I'll be balls deep in another war.