Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Marsh Elder Pigweed” is a good D&D name.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Platystemon posted:

Maintaining things as they exist is pretty much the definition of conservatism.
I remember as a child realizing that the Democrats (of the 90s) were in a sense conservative in that they did not want major change or in some cases any change at all, while Republicans were the ones who wanted to change policy, albeit in a bad way. This confused me greatly, for a time.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Platystemon posted:

“Marsh Elder Pigweed” is a good D&D name.

gently caress pigweed. That stuff hosed me up when i lived in Austin.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Nessus posted:

I remember as a child realizing that the Democrats (of the 90s) were in a sense conservative in that they did not want major change or in some cases any change at all, while Republicans were the ones who wanted to change policy, albeit in a bad way. This confused me greatly, for a time.

Just think of it as the party of no ideas and the party of bad ideas.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nessus posted:

It's the difference between conservatives and reactionaries.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Courtesy of the Star Citizen thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3898069&pagenumber=1270&perpage=40#post510348989

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
How are people giving money to Star Citizen?? I stopped paying attention to what was happening three or four years ago, what are the new developments?

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Dec 8, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The ship has a new hat

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i've seen people say it has something approaching gameplay now but i don't really believe them

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i've seen people say it has something approaching gameplay now but i don't really believe them

It's technically had gameplay for a while insofar as you could fly ships and shoot with them, but there's still not much of a gameplay loop beyond delivering cargo or something last I heard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume the same rationale as games workshop, whales with too much money working from home need something to spend it on during lockdown.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the same rationale as games workshop, whales with too much money working from home need something to spend it on during lockdown.
Games Workshop sell you models that you stick in a cupboard and never paint, but when you die they have some resale value.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

OwlFancier posted:

GW at least sells you an actual thing, not the printout of a jpeg.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Could it be a sort of map-histogram? And the numbers are the floor values of each bin?
Then, the blue states would have 0-49.64 cases, etc. Would make some amount of sense apart from the awful lack of rounding.
But then exactly how many cases per 100k would Rhode Island have?

:psyduck:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think your logic is right where a state is colored based on it's closest lower bound.

Based off a quick google, Rhode Island had 8,183 new cases from November 29th through Dec 6th. With a population of 1.059 million (2019) that would come to about 772 new cases per 100,000 people (I think, I'm terrible at math) which is in fact more than 297.83. I have no idea what criteria they used to come up with those ridiculously specific numbers though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Most likely, it's the exact value for the lowest-valued state they put into that bin. So, it's the percentile boundary spat out by Excel, and they couldn't be arsed to round it (or even better, to bin them by even 100s instead of arbitrary-looking percentiles).

Edit: No wait if RI is the only state in dark red, then that couldn't be it, either. This is baffling.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Dec 9, 2020

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Xelkelvos posted:

It's technically had gameplay for a while insofar as you could fly ships and shoot with them, but there's still not much of a gameplay loop beyond delivering cargo or something last I heard.

So it's basically Mudrunner In Space, only instead of delivering logs through mud, you're delivering Space Stuff through Space. Totally worth the money.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Antigravitas posted:

GW at least sells you an actual thing, not the printout of a jpeg.

*printout not included

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the numbers/buckets are at exactly 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 * 49.64 so they might as well just have used intervals of 50

no 3 * 49.64 for some reason

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

KozmoNaut posted:

So it's basically Mudrunner In Space, only instead of delivering logs through mud, you're delivering Space Stuff through Space. Totally worth the money.
A space game that was just delivering stuff but which made the task as complex, interesting, infuriating, and fun as Mudrunner would be great. Rogue System crossed with... I don't even know.

It's more like tacking on pickup and deliver missions to the flightsim easter egg in an ancient version of excel, and you can only use the spreadsheet part to calculate how much money you can spare for the cause this month.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

90s Cringe Rock posted:

A space game that was just delivering stuff but which made the task as complex, interesting, infuriating, and fun as Mudrunner would be great. Rogue System crossed with... I don't even know.

Man, I want to difflock through asteroid fields and winch spaceships out of black holes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

KozmoNaut posted:

Elite: Dangerous is a pretty alright game, yeah

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Dr. Shiva with a new hall of fame entrant.

https://twitter.com/va_shiva/status/1334501687285911556

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

This is so annoying because his claims definitely "sound" legit from a naive perspective. He's really mastered this particular form of grift.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is so annoying because his claims definitely "sound" legit from a naive perspective. He's really mastered this particular form of grift.

He sounds one bad day away from becoming Time Cube v2.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Finally, someone invented a "less controversial" term for "white privilege".

Is this also about trans rights? Have I been watching too much political YouTube lately?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Golbez posted:

He sounds one bad day away from becoming Time Cube v2.

I am definitely getting this more than "legit" in any respect lol.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Somehow I doubt that he invented email. Also "a parabola walks into a Michigan voting booth" sounds like the opening to a really weird bar joke.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SerialKilldeer posted:

Somehow I doubt that he invented email. Also "a parabola walks into a Michigan voting booth" sounds like the opening to a really weird bar joke.

He 100% didn't invent email, he created some program named "Email" in the 70s which was well after email as we know it already existed.

He's a well-known crank

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SerialKilldeer posted:

Yeah, sounds pretty derivative to me.

No Safe Word posted:

He 100% didn't invent email, he created some program named "Email" in the 70s which was well after email as we know it already existed.

He's a well-known crank

Here's an interesting story on him. Sounds like he got his brain broken by being shat on by nerds.

He has a pretty obvious reason to make wild accusations of electoral fraud, since he was running in Massachusetts, and got blown out by his Democratic opponent.

Because it's loving Massachusetts.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Dec 9, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That's like Linda McMahon spending a hundred million dollars trying to get elected to the US Senate, twice, as a Republican from Connecticut.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, sounds pretty derivative to me.

:allears:

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

And

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Those own, unless you want to just put every joke alignment chart in here

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I don't know why that second one says the tooth fairy is gives equal value to all children. Finding out that you only get a dollar but your friend gets five dollars is how six-year-olds realize two very important lessons: 1) the tooth fairy isn't real, therefore adults constantly lie, and 2) life isn't fair, especially when it comes to money. They might not learn what the word "capitalism" is for another decade, but it is that day when they discuss the tooth fairy with their school friends that they first learn its meaning.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't know why that second one says the tooth fairy is gives equal value to all children. Finding out that you only get a dollar but your friend gets five dollars is how six-year-olds realize two very important lessons: 1) the tooth fairy isn't real, therefore adults constantly lie, and 2) life isn't fair, especially when it comes to money. They might not learn what the word "capitalism" is for another decade, but it is that day when they discuss the tooth fairy with their school friends that they first learn its meaning.

Authoritarian Communist governments also tend to be pretty inequitable, maybe your parents are subversive anti-communists and your friend's parents are Party Members in good standing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Serperoth posted:

Elite: Dangerous is a pretty alright game, yeah

Does it have a winch, diff locks and huge plumes of diesel exhaust, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It does not have those things, but the soundscape of the ships feels sublime. The ships feel like you have an actual engine working somewhere, it's great. The only thing I actually enjoy about the game is moving the throttle on my HOTAS and feeling the response.

Listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKGR2FLUqJw&t=2219s