Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Myst is Quest only right now, they don't sell quest games on Steam....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I bought some proper 1 inch wide x 3/8 inch thick foam strips for my 3d printed G2 faceplate. Pretty firm stuff, but not uncomfortable. Feels sturdier now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V35F94L/

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Ceive posted:

I bought some proper 1 inch wide x 3/8 inch thick foam strips for my 3d printed G2 faceplate. Pretty firm stuff, but not uncomfortable. Feels sturdier now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V35F94L/

My g2 is still on the way but following these posts with interest. Thanks for the update

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Riatsala posted:

It's oddly comforting that 9 years later I'm still trying to optimize Skyrim to make it as pretty as possible, a process I thought I had completed with out-the rear end ENBs and texture mods last year. Now I'm back down to 90 FPS with minimal mods in Skyrim VR. You never catch the dragon, I guess.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/synthridersvr/status/1336366616506986496

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Any thoughts on buying a second hand VR headset? There's a dude selling his Reverb G2 for $700 in my town on FB marketplace. Claims new condition.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Replace the sweat band.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8one6 posted:

Replace the sweat band.

Also let it sit quarantined for a week somewhere in your house so you're not potentially slamming a dose of COVID against your face.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I had a Myst journal in 1994 when I was 12. Good memories, I haven't played the game in over 25 years but I think I'll try the VR version. I think I can remember the solves to a few of the puzzles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Anyone who had a launch Quest 2 actually get asgards wrath? I'm not even sure I'm going to play it but it's still listed as a "Buy It" game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lockback posted:

Anyone who had a launch Quest 2 actually get asgards wrath? I'm not even sure I'm going to play it but it's still listed as a "Buy It" game.

I've grabbed it, Lone Echo and Stormlands, but I've only played Lone Echo so far. £15 is a much easier "take a chance on this" point than £30.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gort posted:

I've grabbed it, Lone Echo and Stormlands, but I've only played Lone Echo so far. £15 is a much easier "take a chance on this" point than £30.

Oh I mean I thought they said it was going to be free as part of the Link thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

Oh I mean I thought they said it was going to be free as part of the Link thing.

You have to create a ticket in their support system and send the serial number of your device. It isn't automatic.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

You have to create a ticket in their support system and send the serial number of your device. It isn't automatic.

Oh really? Jesus, Oculus/Facebook never makes anything easy. Thanks for the info!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lockback posted:

Oh really? Jesus, Oculus/Facebook never makes anything easy. Thanks for the info!

Yes, they said they had 'investigated all the options' and this was 'the only way available to do it'. Which I thought it was total BS and they were doing it because that way they will give it to a 5% of the real number of people who should have it.

Speaking of FB being stupid, I read in Reddit an interesting post about the issue of the obligatory FB accounts from VR dev company perspective, because people don't want to link up their personal account with the company oculus accounts, lol.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just moved, and I actually have the 13.5'x13.5' maximum usable area for my index. What is a good game that actually encourages moving around on foot rather than using controls?

Edit: additionally, is there any way to save multiple boundary settings so I can have a tighter set of boundaries when I can't be assed to move my exercise bike and some other stuff?

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 9, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Gangringo posted:

I just moved, and I actually have the 13.5'x13.5' maximum usable area for my index. What is a good game that actually encourages moving around on foot rather than using controls?

Edit: additionally, is there any way to save multiple boundary settings so I can have a tighter set of boundaries when I can't be assed to move my exercise bike and some other stuff?

I think that Superhot VR improves the more space you have. Walking around areas in Half-Life Alyx is also very engaging to me.

I haven't found a way to save play area profiles, but recalibrating takes like 3 minutes so *shrug*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gangringo posted:

Pistol Whip is a good one

SuperhotVR also

Gangringo posted:

Not that I know of :/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gangringo posted:

https://sidequestvr.com/app/65/tea-for-god-under-development

Free on sidequest. Dunno how much time you'd pour into it but it'd be a real cool experience with a big space.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gangringo posted:

First question: https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god

Second question: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1009850/OVR_Advanced_Settings/

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Lockback posted:

https://sidequestvr.com/app/65/tea-for-god-under-development

Free on sidequest. Dunno how much time you'd pour into it but it'd be a real cool experience with a big space.

He said index, but there's also a steam vr version on itch.io.

https://void-room.itch.io/tea-for-god

efb: I don't have a large space, but maybe try the Eye of the Temple demo for a short experience of what you can do with roomscale?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/589940/Eye_of_the_Temple/

Baby Proof fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 9, 2020

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Thanks, those looks great! Tea for God looks like it would be extra amazing with a quest and a massive outdoor play area.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tea for God is best played on an indoor basketball court. You can literally run down the hallways, it's incredible.

MerklesBoner
Apr 5, 2003

Pulled the trigger on the Quest 2 finally. Time to tear down my wall-mounted Rift sensors! I got a 3-week delivery estimate, which if it ends up accurate will still give me half a week of end-of-year vacation time to play around with it. Looks like the elite strap thingy is just "who knows?" on eventual availability? The site used to have a "notify me" button, but that's gone.

Certain titles are crossover between the Rift and Q2, yes? If I already own one on Rift, will I have to buy it again or will it show up in my Q2 library?

EDIT: Answered my own question. I was unsure because I downloaded the phone app and didn't see any old purchases showing up in the Q2 library, but now checking the store under cross-buy, I see games I own on Rift marked down to free.

Eeeeeeee!

MerklesBoner fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 9, 2020

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Speaking of myst, the first gameplay of the new version running on quest popped up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSe5xvfOZi4

I'm impressed it doesn't just have you pulling levers and stuff, but even having to climb up ladders (optional), so it looks like they've done a good job bringing it into VR, and it doesn't look bad for a quest title, i'm excited to see how it looks on PCVR when that finally comes out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tom Guycot posted:

Speaking of myst, the first gameplay of the new version running on quest popped up:

I'm impressed it doesn't just have you pulling levers and stuff, but even having to climb up ladders (optional), so it looks like they've done a good job bringing it into VR, and it doesn't look bad for a quest title, i'm excited to see how it looks on PCVR when that finally comes out.

The interactions look great! And should actually make the original puzzles a bit more convenient and less painful. Like twisting the knob instead of having to hold your mouse down and wait for it to rotate, huge QOL.

I love the nixie tube looking fountain markers.

Also pretty cute watching someone play Myst, flip the first toggle switch, look at the boat (expecting something).... and then move on. Yep, that's Myst! The puzzle begins.

I think Sirrus and Achenar in the books looks a little funky in VR but no biggie. Flipping the book pages as an interaction is really nice.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yep, seeing them turn the pages in the book makes me feel like it's gonna be enough for me to be happy with it, hooray

Also lol the criticisms always seem to be "trial and error" but that's not true at all. At least, not in the way I think of as trial and error; you need to interact with the puzzles to figure them out, which is trial and error but also, I dunno, the scientific process? I think people use it to mean "brute force" instead which isn't true at all. You need to try things out and form theories about how things work, see if it works or not, if not, try something else. Not being afraid to get something wrong is important because you can't just look at a puzzle, think hard about it, and end up with the right answer. I think this is great!

Except for the maze part which is just brute force lolll

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Turin Turambar posted:

I just checked my library and it's there. I activated mine about a week ago, and never submitted any tickets or anything.

Maybe it's people who activated before 11/30 who need to do the tickets?

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
check your inbox I have a 30% off code for the Oculus store that expires Friday. Going to try and use it on Myst although it might just be the select games in which I'll just buy Beatsaber or something

side question, is the new Star Wars VR "Tales from the Galaxy's Edge" game any good? Haven't heard anyone mention it. Aside from looking like an ad for the disney park im thirsty for more star wars vr stuff

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

TVs Ian posted:

I just checked my library and it's there. I activated mine about a week ago, and never submitted any tickets or anything.

Maybe it's people who activated before 11/30 who need to do the tickets?

yeah the whole issue was they offered free it for people who bought after 11/30 and everyone who bought at launch was butthurt. I just sent my ticket in, the serial number shows in the app next to the device name if you are lazy and don't want to pull apart the headset to find it like me

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Reek posted:

yeah the whole issue was they offered free it for people who bought after 11/30 and everyone who bought at launch was butthurt. I just sent my ticket in, the serial number shows in the app next to the device name if you are lazy and don't want to pull apart the headset to find it like me

This has just reminded me. I raised a ticket ( bought the q2 on launch day), they replied to ask me to send my serial number, which I sent. Not heard anything back from them. Need to chase them up I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Got another update email on Reverb G2 pre-orders. Just reiterating again that all orders before October 25th will absolutely get their headsets by the end of this month.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of FB being stupid, I read in Reddit an interesting post about the issue of the obligatory FB accounts from VR dev company perspective, because people don't want to link up their personal account with the company oculus accounts, lol.

It is a complete lie. Those devs are just fanning the flames in bad faith. You literally don't have to own a Facebook account to develop for the Oculus Quest. You can create an Oculus developer account and you can then use it to generate fake test Facebook accounts for each developer to use. You log into the headset with the fake account like normal and it gives you almost full and complete access to the headset. The only things you can't do with it are buy games from the store and add non-test friends. But you can link other test accounts as friends in the developer dashboard so you can test multiplayer.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Nalin posted:

almost full

Uh huh. Go on.

Fun fact us gov just ruled facebook has to be broken up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Uh huh. Go on.

Fun fact us gov just ruled facebook has to be broken up.

He did explain what the almost was, did you just stop reading?

And the government most certainly did not, its going to be a completely toothless "investigation"/lawsuit that goes nowhere, much like the grandstanding congressional meetings. They approved every one of those acquisitions already, if there was any desire for change they'd, you know, pass a law.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Oh poo poo, one of the accessibility options was "Height Quantization". Is that what I think it is? Is it scaling the game world to your height?
If so thank gently caress. I'm a short bastard and I loving hate being short in VR. It's not 'immersive' being the same height in game, it's loving annoying playing something and every character is towering over me because the developers assume you're going to be at least 6ft or something.

Also, this looks great. I just wish they would hurry up and announce when the PC version is coming out.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Lockback posted:

He did explain what the almost was, did you just stop reading?

And the government most certainly did not, its going to be a completely toothless "investigation"/lawsuit that goes nowhere, much like the grandstanding congressional meetings. They approved every one of those acquisitions already, if there was any desire for change they'd, you know, pass a law.

Oh phew for a moment I thought good things were gonna happen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Skyarb posted:

Oh phew for a moment I thought good things were gonna happen.

The one area where they might actually make some headway is VR, but I suspect its too small/inconsequential for anyone to care about. Otherwise they're going to have to argue that acquisitions that the FTC approved back when are suddenly invalid and that consumers have been damaged when no one is paying anyway.

My suspicion is this will have some vague rules that they have to be more transparent, some token fines, and one or two small things forced to spin off. Facebook is a fun target right now because liberals think they are directly funding white power groups and conservatives think facebook is targeting them for censorship, so it's the rare "Everybody Likes That" when you go after them. But going after facebook but giving 0 thought or effort to actual privacy laws (like what the rest of the world has) should tell you everything you need to know about the outcomes here.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Mr Beens posted:

This has just reminded me. I raised a ticket ( bought the q2 on launch day), they replied to ask me to send my serial number, which I sent. Not heard anything back from them. Need to chase them up I guess.

weird, yeah! I got a reply literally minutes after I sent mine so I'd try to reply again or open a new ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Lockback posted:

The one area where they might actually make some headway is VR, but I suspect its too small/inconsequential for anyone to care about. Otherwise they're going to have to argue that acquisitions that the FTC approved back when are suddenly invalid and that consumers have been damaged when no one is paying anyway.

My suspicion is this will have some vague rules that they have to be more transparent, some token fines, and one or two small things forced to spin off. Facebook is a fun target right now because liberals think they are directly funding white power groups and conservatives think facebook is targeting them for censorship, so it's the rare "Everybody Likes That" when you go after them. But going after facebook but giving 0 thought or effort to actual privacy laws (like what the rest of the world has) should tell you everything you need to know about the outcomes here.

Going after facebook is a good thing. Another good thing would be re-evalutating our privacy laws/monopoly laws. They are not mututally exclusive.