Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I like the married monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh jay posted:

Dr. Genus, the only one in the series that had actually tried to define what a monster is, says that genetically modified things are monsters. And also aliens and other non-human creatures like the deep-sea folks are monsters too.

I guess what my ramblings are about is that his definition of monster sucks and I either don't get it or don't like it or both. I need precise definitions and science in my action-comedy manga where a man can become a crab by eating too much crab.

It's belief/willpower. Tank Top believes he get his power from the Tank Top. Superalloy believes he just trained constantly and that it's perfectly normal to do the things he does, he does it because he put a lot of effort. Saitama believes he got his power from the training because he's dumb as gently caress. Metal Bat believes he's a shounen hero. Genos is trying to be logical and analyze things, trying to make sense of it, and he has no special powers unrelated to his mechanical body.

All the monsters in turn gave in to their obsessions and got Akira'd by it. There's a case in that a constant joke is how most monsters that were humans before had some obsession or traumatic event - someone got trapped in a Phoenix costume, someone couldn't get a spider out of their ear, someone ate too much crab. Saitama comes close to figuring this out as a joke in one of the OVAs. The heroes/humans on the other hand are for the most part gradually progressing based on their dedication. Child Emperor's workout ends up giving him a "muscle mass and body development" that is unreasonably high - far, far higher than a bear's, even though he logically presumes to have pretty low stats.

On the other hand the heroes that look past that point of obsession are candidates for fans to speculate about whether they're monsters or not. Fans speculate about Watchdog Man but even the manga jokes about it, "I couldn't even tell who the monster was in that fight."

On the subject of willpower, there are hints scattered over the manga. The three crows lost their sense of self/identity because they were weak-willed. Psykos says that Monsters have lust for violence, and that guy on the tournament goes on clinically about how the "barriers on behavioral choices are being removed" and "the morals that I had before have been completely erased." when he becomes a Monster. The Ninjas who trained had to endure a horrifying regime, so they on the other hand have a lot of mental control. "After monsterization it's possible to restrain oneself back into human-shape as long as you have full control of the body. Apparently, normal civilians go berserk with rage, or even become pure beasts, but for someone who trained in our village this should be no big deal." The Monsters who are just different species or aliens don't follow this pattern (Armored Gorilla being a good example).

Genus sort of spells it out. "All living beings exist within certain limits, if one overdoes it, one's very own power will just damage itself. Or else one's own self may be lost, and what will be left is a rampaging beast-like monster." Throughout the entire manga - seriously, it's a concept repeated ad nauseum - monsters are referred to having an explosive growth. "The monsters come from an explosion of frustration, humans who can get no satisfaction, who lust for transformation, do so out of psychological issues, or attachments to vices" and immediately distinguishes "espers, cyborgs, and the regular humans who nurture that power through hard work or instinctively".

Zombie man who's extremely logical is as annoyed at Genus' explanation as Genos is at Saitama's workout.

So basically they're all the same, but whether you're having an explosive growth of frustration, or if you are nurturing it like most heroes do. Reminds me a lot of Claymore, where once you Awaken you can no longer improve, so the Monsters trying to turn other humans into Monsters want them to grow as powerful as they can before they awaken.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 3, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What I'm trying to say is, tag yourself I would become Devil Long Hair

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Man my feelings towards Darkshine are so confused.

When he was first introduced, it was "Holy poo poo Murata, really?" But that was during the introduction with the other heroes that were also extreme examples of a singular trait, maybe it was a throwaway so I just moved past it.

Then we get the monster arc and you get to know him more. He is incredibly confident, kind, tries to build others up. I am liking this development and showing of character. He is just consistently cool as hell.

The the Garou fight. This is some whiplash. I imagine all the webcomic readers have been rubbing their hands go "hehehehe" waiting for this reveal, similar to Game of Thrones readers waiting for the Red Wedding episode. The character development of Darkshine being a wimp and then training himself up, but still being a scared, defenseless child, and the realization of that? That's some pretty good storytelling and background development. I like that!

But then I'm leaving out the elephant in the room. The reveal that he is just a Japanese bodybuilder who bronzed himself so much he looks like a stereotyped black man. I get the joke, it is a twist, it follows the intense caricatures of the comic, but that's it and it takes so much away. It's a one note joke that transformed a very problematic black character who was getting some really good character development into a one note joke. And took away the only black character.

So on the one hand you've fake removed the problematic representation of a muscular black man (the whole intent was to make him look like a caricatured black man, I am certain if they wanted to draw an obviously bronzed muscle builder they would look nothing alike) but they've given a flimsy rear end excuse for pedants to say "Well ackshually he is a Japanese bronzed body builder so it isn't problematic". He is still drawn this way! You've still got the other characters referring to him as darkie and blacky! I wouldn't be surprised if one of the other Monster Association cadre that Darkshine has to fight is a monsterized minstrel show.

Now he is japanese, so all these cool character developments aren't helping redeem the incredibly problematic caricature! All for a single joke.

So this latest issue just bothers me more.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Yeah I agree with all of this. Darkshine is just so bizarrely inexplicable to me. A character that is fully depicted as a black man, to the point that no one would have any reason to doubt that fact. Until over 100 chapters into the series, we find out he's actually a pale skinned (Japanese??) guy. And it's never remarked upon in any way.

If it wasn't for reading this thread, I don't think I would have ever made the connection between body building bronzing and his dark skin. I don't know if I'm missing something, or it's some strange Japanese thing, or what. If it is actually a deliberate joke, then I really don't get it.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

You can both criticise something for its flaws and still enjoy it. Racism and misogyny just comes with the territory of consuming Japanese pop culture (hell, pop culture in general). It's fine to see it as racist and move on. Not like we're paying for these scans anyway.

I did find it disappointing (weirdly) that Darkshine isn't even black.... Are there even any black heroes? Though I'm kind of glad there aren't.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bucswabe posted:

If it wasn't for reading this thread, I don't think I would have ever made the connection between body building bronzing and his dark skin. I don't know if I'm missing something, or it's some strange Japanese thing, or what. If it is actually a deliberate joke, then I really don't get it.

It's not a japanese exclusive practice it's a legitimate facet of bodybuilding competitions. Obviously this doesn't account for the face of Darkshine which I think is more a kinnikuman reference as well than an attempt at blackface. But the combination of traits doesn't do that interpretation any favors for most western readers.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Brought To You By posted:

It's not a japanese exclusive practice it's a legitimate facet of bodybuilding competitions. Obviously this doesn't account for the face of Darkshine which I think is more a kinnikuman reference as well than an attempt at blackface. But the combination of traits doesn't do that interpretation any favors for most western readers.

You will never convince me that those heads aren't just photoshopped onto those bodies.

---

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I did find it disappointing (weirdly) that Darkshine isn't even black.... Are there even any black heroes? Though I'm kind of glad there aren't.

Even heavily flawed representation is representation (see: Barrett in Final Fantasy VII), and this whole thing has been one long sigh that cannot be punctuated with "hey, at least there's a black character." I, unfortunately, agree with the last bit.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Yeah but they didn't intend to be racist and obviously that absolves them of all responsibility with regards to their contribution to racist caricatures and subrepresentation

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
lol I said that intent matters, not that it absolves creators of any wrongdoing. It matters in the sense that I am comfortable reading translations that are produced by someone who made an honest mistake and takes steps to correct them but I am not comfortable consuming anything by someone who intentionally uses slurs to be a racist rear end in a top hat.

Case in point, obviously there's something that feels very wrong about Darkshine from a Western perspective and yet it doesn't seem like anyone in this thread is ready to boycott OPM over it so clearly intent matters there too. If Darkshine were constantly obsessing over fried chicken etc I think it would be a fairly evident choice to never read an OPM issue ever again, but here we are in this really uncomfortable middle ground where we are struggling to reconcile how Darkshine is portrayed. How much we are willing to forgive ONE for Darkshine has a lot to do with context - such as how much leeway we are willing to give Japanese creators when it comes to race naivete or whether or not there is a pattern of behavior from ONE here (PPP is not a good look either, for example).

For all the things about Darkshine that feel icky and wrong I'm at least glad that his face-type has been shown on several light-skinned characters and that in Darkshine's flashback his face still looked that way when he was light-skinned. He didn't entirely morph into a black charicature - he had some of those features all along.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Prowler posted:

You will never convince me that those heads aren't just photoshopped onto those bodies.
You'll note that #25 missed both his feet and around his thong in addition to neglecting his face. I wish I could find the photo, but there was one that was a a backstage shot of 3-4 japanese bodybuilders getting all tanned up and it's the most uncanny thing I saw while doing my own dive into the culture around body building. I do however have these

This is the best one though.

Like, it's just a fascinating practice to me. Doubly so because you can use a dollar store paint roller to help boost your appeal for the judges.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think those images just highlight the problem TBH -- Darkshine's problem isn't his body, it's his face

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think those images just highlight the problem TBH -- Darkshine's problem isn't his body, it's his face

Yeah, this is the actual thing. If the dude looked like a Japanese dude with a ridiculous bodybuilder body, that would be one thing, but his face is still a racist caricature of a black dude.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Super Rad posted:

Case in point, obviously there's something that feels very wrong about Darkshine from a Western perspective and yet it doesn't seem like anyone in this thread is ready to boycott OPM over it so clearly intent matters there too. If Darkshine were constantly obsessing over fried chicken etc I think it would be a fairly evident choice to never read an OPM issue ever again, but here we are in this really uncomfortable middle ground where we are struggling to reconcile how Darkshine is portrayed. How much we are willing to forgive ONE for Darkshine has a lot to do with context - such as how much leeway we are willing to give Japanese creators when it comes to race naivete or whether or not there is a pattern of behavior from ONE here (PPP is not a good look either, for example).

Yea it is that weird middle ground that is so frustrating. If you write a problematic character early on in the story and down the line you want to fix the problem you have the choice to sideline/disappear them (Jar Jar Binks/Rose from Star Wars for example), or work on the character to flesh them out so they are not so problematic.

With Darkshine it seemed to be the latter, he was getting better and I honestly like him. He gets all this great development but then they sideline the problematic element of the black caricature by showing a flashback that he isn't black. While I know the intention is for it to be a joke, but it reads more like trying to handwave away the issue. So trying to address the one dimensional offensive stereotype by fleshing out the character, then saying the stereotype actually doesn't apply is confusing and half cocked.

At this point in writing I tried to draw a similarity between PPP and Darkshine but kept deleting and rewriting it because I couldn't really nuance it out enough to be coherent and respectful enough for me. There is a string in there that I hope someone who is better at writing and analysis can tug at. I will say that while Darkshine is a problematic stereotype of black people, PPP is a problematic stereotype of LGBT and also commits actions which further exacerbates these issues. The only real reflection that ONE seems to acknowledge is that PPP is a prisoner guilty of these crimes and... Thats it.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Darkshine is more problematic then the cockroaches in TerraforMars, in my opinion.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
PPP is definitely a character who could be somewhat remedied if ONE actually wrote in realistic LGBTQ representation into the manga. Ordinary people who look at PPP and go "that dude isn't *just* gay he's MFing insane." Being completely divorced from reality is PPP's whole schtick - his clothes get ripped off in a fight and in his mind he's discovered a brand new transformation. Tatsu wraps him up in a bubble? Another Angel transformation, naturally. PPP being a harmful depiction of a gay character could be played off well if we had other gay characters to show that it has nothing to do with homosexuality and everything to do with PPP being straight up bonkers.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Saitama x Genos.

Or would having the other gay couple be an older man and a barely-legal teen be problematic?

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

oh jay posted:

Dr. Genus, the only one in the series that had actually tried to define what a monster is, says that genetically modified things are monsters. And also aliens and other non-human creatures like the deep-sea folks are monsters too.

I guess what my ramblings are about is that his definition of monster sucks and I either don't get it or don't like it or both. I need precise definitions and science in my action-comedy manga where a man can become a crab by eating too much crab.

The major running themes in OPM are "What is the difference between a hero and a monster?" and "What does it mean to be powerful in a world where some generic bald guy can shrug off everything you throw at him and obliterate you in a single punch?"

Attempts to categorize monsters and heroes based on physical characteristics does a disservice to the first theme and attempts to categorize different types of powers ("superpowers" vs "intense training") does a disservice to the second. I don't know what to say other than it feels like you're missing the point of the story. Just look at how Saitama treats any "monsters" he runs into, he never attacks first, talks to them, gives them chances to redeem themselves, and only after they make their intent 100% clear does he actually fight them. There are other characters in the story that draw bright lines between what is a monster and what is a hero/human but they are always shown to be either wrong or incredibly monstrous themselves.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Donkringel posted:

At this point in writing I tried to draw a similarity between PPP and Darkshine but kept deleting and rewriting it because I couldn't really nuance it out enough to be coherent and respectful enough for me. There is a string in there that I hope someone who is better at writing and analysis can tug at.

it doesn't need to be nuanced, they're both lovely characters. Darkshine is a big dumb muscle guy in blackface and PPP is a dumb sexual harasser who violates gender norms in a way that is shown to make others uncomfortable. PPP is worse b/c you can't even hide behind the 'western view of racism' argument.

but I enjoy most of the rest of the manga and its actiony fun that usually gives me 10-20 minutes of joy every two weeks.

I get that pop culture is important but I don't see us unravelling some deep insights by exploring these caricatures? Sometimes things are just bad!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AfricanBootyShine posted:

it doesn't need to be nuanced, they're both lovely characters. Darkshine is a big dumb muscle guy in blackface

I strongly disagree. Darkshine is quite a good character on most metrics other than his design, and outside his design there isn't anything racist about his character.

That's why it's so disappointing that his design is problematic.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 4, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's so close to not being racist! But you can't have black-looking dudes with Saitama-face and a big potato nose, it's a real bad look.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

It's so close to not being racist!

Fixed.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I really love the chicken scratch panel where Garou claims he's a monster. It's horrific, sure, but there's also a touch of sadness in his eye sockets.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Brought To You By posted:

This is the best one though.

okay the paint roller slayed me. would've never guessed that's how it's done

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, this is the actual thing. If the dude looked like a Japanese dude with a ridiculous bodybuilder body, that would be one thing, but his face is still a racist caricature of a black dude.

Isn't that just a standard dorky manga face, like, I don't know, Golden Ball?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

Isn't that just a standard dorky manga face, like, I don't know, Golden Ball?

When the whole Darkshine twist was revealed months back I was going to say "well there is still Golden Ball" and when I checked I saw he was not black, so that style of face is definitely confusing.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Lol all this discussion. Why not just admit that Japan has race issues and leave it at that. Don't need to try to justify it. This is far from being the only example of it in the industry.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Every nation and industry has race issues. Pretending the racism isn't there or is just fine because its normal or that people should just get over it sucks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the off chance that Darkshine's character wasn't rooted in racist caricature, there is a negative one billion % chance it hasn't been brought up to ONE/Murata and Jump Comics and they've done diddly squat to change or make amends so even if the original intent is not racist (psst, it was), its ongoing presentation is.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The official VIZ translation is out and they use the nickname "Luster"

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
but Shiny was right there

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Bleck posted:

but Shiny was right there

Yea but apparently VIZ is calling him Superalloy Blackluster

Have they been doing this the whole time? and I just didnt notice? lol

The viz translation of just this chapter has some things which annoy me like calling Sweet Mask "Amai* mask"

*amai means sweet

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Have they been doing this the whole time? and I just didnt notice? lol

The viz translation of just this chapter has some things which annoy me like calling Sweet Mask "Amai* mask"

*amai means sweet

Other translations that they do differently than most fan translations are Centichoro (Elder Centipede) and Black Spermatozoon, off the top of my head. I'm sure there's others.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

what's wrong with calling him black sperm

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jerkface posted:

Blackluster? For real? I thought translating kuro as 'dark' in the context of his name was a smart move to... maybe not hone in so hard on what would make the audience for the English translation uncomfortable.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I assume its a Yugioh reference?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

what's wrong with calling him black sperm

i guess they didnt want to confuse the reader whether he's a spermotozoon or a spermatium

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jerkface posted:

I just dont like blackluster because it sounds like lackluster

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

I just dont like blackluster because it sounds like lackluster

i think that makes it into a funny joke which none of the other translations are in any form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
After Garou beats him up, his parting words are "blackluster? You lack luster." Leaving him in a demoralized state.