Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah I also hate the really loving tired “Arabs wouldn’t have risen up in 2011 without the CIA sparking it” for the reason you listed. I lived in Egypt right before the “revolution” and it was clear something was going to happen. The murder of Khaled Saeed happened practically down the street from where I lived at the time and it was clear that people were angry, pissed and not going to tolerate the status quo anymore. They sure as poo poo didn’t need any Westerners pulling any strings in the background.
:same:

Besides the stuff in Morocco sure as hell wasn't the boys at Langley doing stuff. I mean if anything we probably helped curb it in certain countries then do anything to encourage it (no proof, just a theory).

That said, if Qadhafi had nukes or other WMD, that would may have changed the calculus for external intervention from NATO or the UN or whatever but likely wouldn’t have factored in for their civil war.

I dunno, if anything, wouldn't that have given even more reason for intervention? Maybe a more focused mission on securing those stocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

That said, if Qadhafi had nukes or other WMD, that would may have changed the calculus for external intervention from NATO or the UN or whatever but likely wouldn’t have factored in for their civil war.

His juiced-up SCUD-Bs could've made a real mess of Southern Italy, ~80% of Greece, and could've *barely* hit Israel if he'd launched them practically on the border with Egypt.

He also fired two SCUDs at *Lampedusa* once - and missed: https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-libyan-scud-attack-on-lampedusa-and-the-italian-retaliation-against-gaddafi-that-never-was/

I still remember watching CNN back in the mid-ish 90s and hearing that the Clinton administration (with Harold Smith running point as Assistant SecDef for CBRN) was 'considering' a B61 strike on Qadaffi's underground chemical weapons labs.

No clue about this site's credentials/leanings, but: https://real-agenda.com/world-3/americas-planned-nuclear-attack-on-libya/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2020

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

ded posted:

Those loving dudes just love attacking a dude in a wheelchair. This is like the 5th or 6th time I've heard of it. Even PPB have attacked him, multiple times.

Can't help but chase that dragon known as Bloody Sunday.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/yacobg42/status/1336794451197431808

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Going to make an exception for Mattis, I legit believe he tried to keep things from getting even more hosed up. Also oddly enough, unless you ran a Vape business Scott Gotlieb was not bad as FDA head, taking actions against a bunch of snake oil salesmen.

I fully expected to be pilloried for this statement. :lol:

Also in Trump is so goddamn awful news even his "enemies' are able to use make use of his galaxy brained stupidity.

https://twitter.com/ewong/status/1336742141264072705?s=20

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Qadhafi was going to have an revolt against his dictatorship sooner or later. But we shouldn't forget who was the first one to call for intervention in Libya. The French. Forgot those "surrender" jokes. The French are highly involved in the former parts of their colonial empire, and have no hesitation to use force to get their way in their former colonies. The French burned down their colonial infrastructure in a fit of spite when leaving, and then had the gall to force massive loans on the new countries to pay for the "benefits" of colonization. The French were the first to openly support the rebels. The French were the first to conduct international bombing operations in the Libyan civil war. Do not ignore their involvement.

https://twitter.com/Judicaelle_/status/1208495504511950849

https://blogs.mediapart.fr/jecmaus/...nd-colonization

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

golden bubble posted:

Qadhafi was going to have an revolt against his dictatorship sooner or later. But we shouldn't forget who was the first one to call for intervention in Libya. The French. Forgot those "surrender" jokes. The French are highly involved in the former parts of their colonial empire, and have no hesitation to use force to get their way in their former colonies. The French burned down their colonial infrastructure in a fit of spite when leaving, and then had the gall to force massive loans on the new countries to pay for the "benefits" of colonization. The French were the first to openly support the rebels. The French were the first to conduct international bombing operations in the Libyan civil war. Do not ignore their involvement.

https://twitter.com/Judicaelle_/status/1208495504511950849

https://blogs.mediapart.fr/jecmaus/...nd-colonization

Libya was an Italian colony though. The British and French did do some post-war joint administration, but it was most certainly not a French colony.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_colonization_of_Libya

Like you're not wrong about French involvement in it's former African colonies...but Libya wasn't one of them.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1336803777001771008

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/1336807536561938432

https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1336806274223271937

No connection between these three.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we just send Fetterman down to give Cruz a gigantic wedgie? Also he needs to start doing that to Paxton, since that dumbass owes Fetterman $2 million in Sheetz gift cards.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The legal theory is that Ken Paxton is a felon and wants Trump to pardon him.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Yes, there certainly wasn't any "tried to slaughter his way into staying in power when Libyans wanted him gone" involved, it was definitely just the CIA. Because the Arab does not actually have agency, you see.

Please make this idea go away, I feel dumber every time I read it.

The CIA doing the coup also feeds into the death of Benjamin Ghazi.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

what is dead can never die

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh man that tweet cut off the coolest part of the spacex test

it took how many kabooms to land a falcon 9? They got waaay closer with this one and holy poo poo the flip, they nailed the flip on the first try what the hell what the hell

can we just bask in this for a little while

https://mobile.twitter.com/PaquetteCody/status/1336811510086168583

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While it had many other problems it feels like the space shuttle was a much better solution to reusable space craft than trying to land a pencil on its eraser only the eraser has millions of pounds of thrust/boom if things go bad. Am I missing something about this particular solution that makes it a better choice?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

bird food bathtub posted:

While it had many other problems it feels like the space shuttle was a much better solution to reusable space craft than trying to land a pencil on its eraser only the eraser has millions of pounds of thrust/boom if things go bad. Am I missing something about this particular solution that makes it a better choice?

You're launching a lot more weight for a large flying reentry vehicle vs recouping the expensive first stage engines.

It ends up being a lot cheaper and easier to refurb between launches and you launch a lot more payload into orbit because you're not launching wings and poo poo

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Space X stuff is cool, but goddamn is Elon Musk an annoying turd who nerds/chuds/etc irrationally worship/defend.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Space X stuff is cool, but goddamn is Elon Musk an annoying turd who nerds/chuds/etc irrationally worship/defend.

Yeah

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The shuttle didn't really do anything that a normal capsule wouldn't do, it was just a lot bigger and looked like an airplane. By the time it go to orbit it really only had enough fuel left to decelerate, just like a capsule, but because of the design was a thousand times more complicated and way more dangerous on reentry.

Despite what it may seem, what SpaceX is doing here is way less complicated than the shuttle. And that's before you factor in that it actually is reusable, unlike the ship of theseus situation you had going on with the shuttles.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean the guy managed to make me think Werner Herzog has a point about not colonizing mars and space colonization is something I’ve been obsessed with since I was kid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The shuttle, as much as I loved it aesthetically, was absolutely dogshit as a spacecraft and lander.

Rockets are expensive. Rocket fuel is expensiver. Anything that isn't your payload is wasted money, so making a rocket that comes back is easy better than one that sends up the better part of a 737 of dead weight every launch.

Oh you fuckers are fast.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wasabi the J posted:

The shuttle, as much as I loved it aesthetically, was absolutely dogshit as a spacecraft and lander.

Rockets are expensive. Rocket fuel is expensiver. Anything that isn't your payload is wasted money, so making a rocket that comes back is easy better than one that sends up the better part of a 737 of dead weight every launch.

Here’s an idea, it’s horrible, create a conventional-based attack missile they can also at the same time deploy a payload on way to its target. :v:

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

A Wisconsin ANG F-16 crashed last night and nearly 24 hours later they still haven't found the pilot.
https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/12/f-16-fighter-jet-crashed-in-michigans-upper-peninsula-rescue-crews-search-for-pilot.html

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I was about to say a bad time of the year to be potentially injured in the yoop but I honestly expected temperature to be way worse

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

Yeah this time last year we had like 3 feet of snow on the ground. Right now we only have a dusting and it was over 40 degrees today.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The shuttle wasn't just a rocket to put things in orbit, it was also built to put the ISS together and do recaptures.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What I've never understood is how the nuns get away with everything they've done. The sexual abuse is abhorrent enough, but nuns are known for some truly sadistic poo poo. Magdalene nuns abused and tortured young pregnant girls out of spite, jealousy, and because the Bible told them it was okay.

And since it seems in vogue: lapsed Catholic who stopped caring after Confirmation.
I went through Confirmation at the worst time: just before I started asking the big questions. I thought it was that way for everyone.

Shoot me if I become a born-again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
my parents left me to figure out religion on my own and i have been an atheist since having a christian explain to me the criteria for being sent to hell when i was 8 years old. go figure!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

My parents met at a baptist indoctrination center and moved to south carolina and 11 year old me owes an almost incomprehensible debt of gratitude to Carl Sagan and unsupervised library access

even then I spent my high school years as a bizzare mix of edgy teen atheist dude but also Good Boy Fun Hater and ultimately I credit these web forums for keeping me from falling off the knife's edge that would've turned me fully into either one of those incel shooter weirdos or Pete Buttigeig

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 10, 2020

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

CainFortea posted:

The shuttle wasn't just a rocket to put things in orbit, it was also built to put the ISS together and do recaptures.

Thank you stupid air force for forcing polar orbit captures and basically doubling the size of the orbiter.

We could have had a fleet of shuttles if it hadn't been for that stupid, never used requirement.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Look man we gotta be ready for a Moonraker scenario at any inclination

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Milo and POTUS posted:

I was about to say a bad time of the year to be potentially injured in the yoop but I honestly expected temperature to be way worse

Thelonious posted:

Yeah this time last year we had like 3 feet of snow on the ground. Right now we only have a dusting and it was over 40 degrees today.

:tif:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MA-Horus posted:

Thank you stupid air force for forcing polar orbit captures and basically doubling the size of the orbiter.

We could have had a fleet of shuttles if it hadn't been for that stupid, never used requirement.

And they used it for DOD like....what, twice, and nearly destroyed the shuttle during one of those instances?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean the guy managed to make me think Werner Herzog has a point about not colonizing mars and space colonization is something I’ve been obsessed with since I was kid.
We should prioritize space colonization over planetary habitation, but the idea isn't romantic enough to most people. Spinning up an O'neill cylinder close to Earth is way more efficient than trucking poo poo all the way to Mars.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EBB posted:

Look man we gotta be ready for a Moonraker scenario at any inclination

You talk like this isn't Elon's endgame.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/aarrzee/status/1336769057949880321

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah Carter seemed like a decent person and apparently that made him a bad president?

But carter busted the unions for Reagan to mop up so gently caress him anyway.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

We should prioritize space colonization over planetary habitation, but the idea isn't romantic enough to most people. Spinning up an O'neill cylinder close to Earth is way more efficient than trucking poo poo all the way to Mars.

Oh I absolutely agree, it’s more a comment on what an abrasive prick Elon is that he makes the idea seems creepy/cringe/scummy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tbh I would almost breathe a sigh of relief if Kessler syndrome forced humanity to give up on running from it's loving problems and maybe a billionaire could maybe pretend to give a poo poo about the air or something the people with no money can benefit from.

Like I'm really willing to give up everything in leo. It's all spy poo poo and gps. Who cares I got a compass.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Tbh I would almost breathe a sigh of relief if Kessler syndrome forced humanity to give up on running from it's loving problems and maybe a billionaire could maybe pretend to give a poo poo about the air or something the people with no money can benefit from.

Like I'm really willing to give up everything in leo. It's all spy poo poo and gps. Who cares I got a compass.

Most of the information we get to help fight climate change comes from satellites, and most of our advanced weather tracking stuff is orbital.

Its not exaggeration that Kessler Syndrome would likely result in hundreds, if not thousands of excess deaths from sudden lack of weather tracking and meteorology systems, not to mention rescue tracking.

Please don't wish for it, because you know those fucks will still be selfish even if locked to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hyperbole is dead, just like all those people.