Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cheese Thief posted:

I think I have an anti authoritian mindset that I can't help. I hate people telling me what to do!

Don't setup your card you Luddite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Ultimate Mango posted:

And here I am lamenting that its not a full X11 implementation.

https://twitter.com/adistanttowel/status/1335867390173835265?s=20

https://twitter.com/urbanautomaton/status/1314529340214972416?s=20

I wanna take the jump into Mac from linux, but it feels like I’ll be trading one flavor of bullshit for another

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there still a way to turn off Spaces, and the behavior in which maximizing a window makes it full-screen in a new Space?
I did some research and apparently the answer to this is no, which is loving crazy considering how unintuitive and broken window management is in macOS. My dad got stuck today because his maxmized window wouldn't show the menu bar or the buttons when he moused to the top. Now there is no way to turn off the maximizing behavior at all. It's just a big gently caress you to people who don't want to put up with this interface, which is fine if you're a Power User(tm) using a trackpad but super confusing if you're an ordinary person using a mouse and keyboard.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Coffee Jones posted:

I wanna take the jump into Mac from linux, but it feels like I’ll be trading one flavor of bullshit for another

All computers are bullshit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I did some research and apparently the answer to this is no, which is loving crazy considering how unintuitive and broken window management is in macOS. My dad got stuck today because his maxmized window wouldn't show the menu bar or the buttons when he moused to the top. Now there is no way to turn off the maximizing behavior at all. It's just a big gently caress you to people who don't want to put up with this interface, which is fine if you're a Power User(tm) using a trackpad but super confusing if you're an ordinary person using a mouse and keyboard.

Press F3

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Alternatively hold ctrl and press an arrow key. Spaces rules, and I'm a guy that spends 90% of his computer time on a 27" iMac with effective 3200x1800 resolution scaling and 30 windows scattered over one another. I'd imagine it's vital for anyone on a laptop.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
macos Full screen behavior is loving dumb and should never have been the default or included in any way and the sooner it goes away the better but since this is the apple of tim its never going away

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

japtor posted:

Looking it up there's two models, the older (over ear?) Studio and newer on ear Solo Pro, which I think probably is Apple powered. I remember they came out basically the same time as the AirPods Pro, have the H1, and just happened to have ANC w/transparency mode too (the Studio has W1, ANC, but no transparency mode). They say it's their own ANC but that seems like too much of a coincidence, plus Beats = Apple so they could technically fudge the wording however they want :v:

welp.....

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wild EEPROM posted:

macos Full screen behavior is loving dumb and should never have been the default or included in any way and the sooner it goes away the better but since this is the apple of tim its never going away

I mean, I quite like it, because I can just task out by swiping right with four fingers with the app having to change window mode and take a bunch of time.
Then I can just swap back after.

Note that I am on a laptop, though.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I like when the app spawns a window in another space and drops you out of full screen mode and also when mail decides that since something else is in full screen and its running in windowless mode that it should open a window in split mode with your full screen app

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can you still clean install macOS by wiping the drive during recovery mode and it will download the OS for you afterward?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Fullscreen is nice for when you're absolutely just using one app, but I'd really prefer a switch so the green button could go back to being zoom by default. It's pretty annoying to try and use something like photoshop without a menu bar. I also liked when spaces could be put in a grid, but that clearly doesn't work for their trackpad gestures, so I guess it's obvious that's long gone.

Is anyone else on big sur having an issue where some apps, when quit, reopen themselves? The behavior itself is like what I saw when I didn't have "Close window when quitting an app" (and possibly "Ask to keep change when closing documents," although I don't think that's related) checked: The app will quit, and then reopen itself, but hidden. For the most part, apps simply quit when asked to, but VLC and Music seem to have decided they should instead immediately reopen and hide themselves. Quitting them again gets them to stay quit.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Alt/Option click on the green button selects between fullscreen and zoom.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ziploc posted:

All computers are bullshit.

Bad Mac, No Ram

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Double clicking the title bar maximizes the window, it’s actually good ui. The maximize “button” is 20x bigger than the full screen button.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
Since the start of The Event I've been using one external monitor with 50/50 fullscreen chrome windows, one incognito for forums/bullshit and the other one for work stuff. Works pretty well

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
In Big Sur, can anyone confirm for me that book files stored in Apple Books are still totally all hosed up and just jumbled together with each other and random names?

I can't use reminders anymore on Mojave and I think I've got everything else handled with VMs and stuff except iTunes for audiobooks. Please don't tell me I have to use Parallels if I want to manage an audiobook if I press the upgrade button.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Zenostein posted:

Fullscreen is nice for when you're absolutely just using one app, but I'd really prefer a switch so the green button could go back to being zoom by default.

May I recommend BetterTouchTool? It lets you customize trackpad and other gestures and shortcuts - and you can make it so that clicking the green button zooms the window by default. I have.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Quackles posted:

May I recommend BetterTouchTool? It lets you customize trackpad and other gestures and shortcuts - and you can make it so that clicking the green button zooms the window by default. I have.

yeah, btt's window management with a trackpad is fantastic. just setup whatever custom gestures you want and watch the windows fly.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Quackles posted:

Oh, guess I should take a proper look at the preferences then. Thanks for the heads-up.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple just pinched out Release Candidate for macOS 11.1 Big Sur, build is 20C69.

Apple posted:

macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update 11.1

macOS Big Sur 11.1 introduces support for AirPods Max, TV app enhancements, Apple News widgets, and privacy information on the App Store. This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac.

AirPods Max

Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
High fidelity audio for rich sound
Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience

Apple TV

An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports

Apple News
Apple News widgets are now available in Notification Center

App Store

New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
In-game dashboard within Arcade games recommends new Arcade games to play

iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1

New window options for iPhone and iPad apps let you switch between landscape and portrait orientations or expand a window to fill the entire screen

Photos

Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app

Safari

Ecosia search engine option in Safari

Air Quality

Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
Health recommendations are provided in Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels

This release also addresses the following issues:

QuickTime Player might quit when opening a movie with a timecode track after upgrading from macOS Catalina
Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center
Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch
Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models
LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1

Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
For more detailed information about this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT211896
For detailed information about the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hoping this fixes the numerous issues with external displays that Big Sur seems to have. My dad and I are both having issues waking up our M1 Macs in clamshell mode via a bluetooth mouse and keyboard, requiring a disconnect/reconnect about 50% of the time to get it working. Sometimes the connection just shits out too, requiring a restart to fix it.

It just works!!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 11, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Xcode isn't ARM native yet? That's surprising.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Small White Dragon posted:

Xcode isn't ARM native yet? That's surprising.

It is ARM native, I just checked

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BobHoward posted:

It is ARM native, I just checked

Oh huh, it apparently still requires Rosetta though. Maybe there are some components that haven't been updated?

Also, running it the first time is borked if you don't have Rosetta installed already.

edit: And apparently a widespread problem; screenshots (not mine) for what happens for the curious

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
I mean it's not really a problem though? Apparently some binary run during the installation process needs Rosetta. The actual Xcode application you run day to day is native.

The blogpost dude you linked is a self described technical marketing dude being dumb to prove... something??? "My goal was to use only ARM native applications" isn't a thing real developers care about, they just click the button to install Rosetta and then things work fine rather than breaking. It'll be a while before devs can run without Rosetta installed, and that's fine given how good Rosetta generally is.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm done with Medium. A bunch of poo poo heads that think they are smart who are trying to make money with their insightful blogposts.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

Apple just pinched out Release Candidate for macOS 11.1 Big Sur, build is 20C69.

Nice

Bob Morales posted:

I'm done with Medium. A bunch of poo poo heads that think they are smart who are trying to make money with their insightful blogposts.

Medium is the nu-media equivilent of if Fox News had a comment section [and then especially don't read the comments on Medium.]

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Meanwhile, here's a little something that Apple recently posted on their help section:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/back-up-files-mh35860/mac

Apple posted:

Connect an external hard disk to your Mac and turn the disk on.

You’re asked if you want to use the disk to back up your Mac.

Important: If you create a backup on a Mac running Big Sur, the backup isn’t compatible with Macs running older versions of macOS.

:eng99:

This is a pretty huge bomb to hide in a help text... so basically if you try to downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina, you won't be able to restore your backup in Catalina.

Edit: Meanwhile, it looks like macOS 11.1.0 build 20C69 is all set to drop to the public on Monday.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 11, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Meanwhile, here's a little something that Apple recently posted on their help section:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/back-up-files-mh35860/mac

:eng99:

This is a pretty huge bomb to hide in a help text... so basically if you try to downgrade from Big Sur to Catalina, you won't be able to restore your backup in Catalina.

Edit: Meanwhile, it looks like macOS 11.1.0 build 20C69 is all set to drop to the public on Monday.

Time Machine (and iCloud for iDevices) backups have never been backwards compatible with older operating systems though? How is that a "huge bomb"?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's generally the case for software and OS's that backups are not backward compatible.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Last Chance posted:

Time Machine (and iCloud for iDevices) backups have never been backwards compatible with older operating systems though? How is that a "huge bomb"?

Ok I looked at archive.org and it turns out it's something I've never read but exists, they had the same blurb for Catalina..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 11, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BobHoward posted:

The blogpost dude you linked is a self described technical marketing dude being dumb to prove... something???

This wasn't an endorsement of the whole article, just screenshots and a description of what I saw trying to open Xcode on an M1. Basically, it tells you you have to have Rosetta, and you can't actually click on the options to install Rosetta or not. (The answer for any who might read this post, is apparently to just press "enter", although if you try to click anything first, you may be SOL.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Ok I looked at archive.org and it turns out it's something I've never read but exists, they had the same blurb for Catalina..
Also I was able to get Catalina backups to work with Mojave despite everyone in the world and also Apple saying they would not.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Well a new backup in Big Sur will generate an APFS volume with specific permissions for time machine backups, not present in previous versions. This time around, earlier versions of macOS may not even recognize the volume. The backups are stored in a completely different manner.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Also I was able to get Catalina backups to work with Mojave despite everyone in the world and also Apple saying they would not.
Just because you can doesn't mean you should

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Maybe this should go in Haus of Tech support, but how on earth do I install MacOS on a formatted SSD? The Macbook Pro mid 2010 I found had a broken HDD, so I put in an SSD I had left over from a Windows PC. I don't have any other Mac products, so the "usual way" can't be done. All I get is a blue "Recovery" screen saying that my PC/Device needs to be repaired. Windows boot error 0x000000e.
Any reason for it to be so drat convoluted to just install MacOS on a blank (or should be blank) SSD using a USB mounted installed like on Windows/Linux?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Maybe this should go in Haus of Tech support, but how on earth do I install MacOS on a formatted SSD? The Macbook Pro mid 2010 I found had a broken HDD, so I put in an SSD I had left over from a Windows PC. I don't have any other Mac products, so the "usual way" can't be done. All I get is a blue "Recovery" screen saying that my PC/Device needs to be repaired. Windows boot error 0x000000e.
Any reason for it to be so drat convoluted to just install MacOS on a blank (or should be blank) SSD using a USB mounted installed like on Windows/Linux?
Go to a friends house and Make a Mac USB installer

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Probably the reason they created the Internet Recovery thing in newer versions of macOS. It wasn't really possible to install macOS without another mac if your recovery partition was screwed up/nonexistent, especially after they stopped distributing macOS on DVDs and USB drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Seems like I managed to get a USB stick loaded with High Sierra and it's installing right now. Seems like the second hand OEM battery is holding it's charge well as well.