Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Archer666 posted:

The owner of a sharehouse I was in took me and some guys out to a restaurant that had big tankards of beer called Mega-beers. I miss those.

i miss chinchirorin highball in kushikatsu tanaka (the big chain which apparently filmed their staff secretly in the dressing room), you roll some dice and either you win and get a free drink or you "lose" and get a giant highball that you have to pay for thats actually more fun to get than the free drink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I remember Torikizoku chain having mega-beers as a thing. At low, low prices!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

i miss chinchirorin highball in kushikatsu tanaka (the big chain which apparently filmed their staff secretly in the dressing room), you roll some dice and either you win and get a free drink or you "lose" and get a giant highball that you have to pay for thats actually more fun to get than the free drink

That sounds amazing. The giant highball, not the other stuff.

Jeza posted:

I remember Torikizoku chain having mega-beers as a thing. At low, low prices!

Could be that chain, I'm not really sure. I was tipsy when he took us in and could barely walk when we got out again...

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Archer666 posted:

Could be that chain, I'm not really sure. I was tipsy when he took us in and could barely walk when we got out again...

It's all adding up. Did you eat a pile of yakitori?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Jeza posted:

It's all adding up. Did you eat a pile of yakitori?

Yeah, yakitori I think.. and a whole bunch more. It was the first time I was at that kind of place where they have tablets that you can place orders from and the food gets brought to you, so I just started ordering mega-beers and everything that looked delicious.

Oh yeah, thats the place. I googled the place and recognize the logo. Though I heard recently that they're not serving mega-beers anymore because (back when it seemed that the Olympics were gonna happen this year), apparently they lost a lot of money cause all the tourists kept ordering mega-beers and they were losing money on it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Archer666 posted:

That sounds amazing. The giant highball, not the other stuff.
yeah its win-win, either a free drink or a big gulp of bourbon-shochu liver detergent

i think many izakayas have something like this where you can play a drinking game of some kind with a prize but i like the one at tanaka's

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
The megabeers were actually happoshu. There was an increase to happoshu tax rates this year so that's probably the real reason if they dropped it from their menu.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Zettace posted:

The megabeers were actually happoshu. There was an increase to happoshu tax rates this year so that's probably the real reason if they dropped it from their menu.

Sure it's this year? I know there's going to be an adjustment to beer/happoushu which will bring them to the same tax (little lower for beer, little higher for happoushu) but it doesn't kick in until 2026 or so I believe.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah your right. I got it mixed up with the cigarette increase this year.

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."

Waltzing Along posted:

:same:

I want a 711 egg samich. And sushi that costs 1/2 what it does in the US and is better. And ramen that actually tastes right. And curry w/ chicken katsu that I don't make myself and is only okay. And to feel safe just walking around.

If you live in the Seattle area there’s a Japanese sandwich shop that can probably satisfy your egg sammy cravings.

https://www.tressandwich.com/eng/

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Getting blackout at Toriki is an Authentic Japanese Experience.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Bofast posted:

Any place in particular you would recommend?

CRUZBURGERS near Yotsuya

And the Sasa Burger next to Daikanyama Station (there's also one near Nakameguro Station, but the vibe isn't as good.)

A few others, but I am forgetting which is which.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I find this thing about Japanese burgers kinda odd. Japan can't do American breakfast, sure. But burgers? They have better quality beef than the US does and it's not even close. They have higher quality produce. The baked goods are great. It's not hard to get mayo/mustard and ketchup right. And japanese mayo is better, anyway. So why wouldn't they have good burgers?

I'd say it is probably easier to find a quality burger in Japan than in the US. I mean from boutique burger joints.

But breakfast? Hahahaha. Noperoo. Can't do eggs right. Can't do bacon right. Somehow screw up pancakes, too. I'm sure there are some places that get it right, but in general, american breakfast in japan is awful. Like not even as good as waffle house and that is a very low bar to clear.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Japan has a hard time with burgers and barbeque because these all have their origins as cheap working class food, even though they've been fancied up lately. But without that sense of making something delicious out of what's basically garbage it's hard to get at the true aesthetic of it. Everyone doing burgers and barbecue in Japan is coming at them straight from Instagram which removes a lot of important context.

Fish and chips I left out because that one's just a straight mystery to me. Fried fish and potatoes are both things that Japan does exceptionally well and literally all they have to do is put them on the same plate, but for some reason hardly anyone does.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Good burgers being widely available in Japan is a fairly recent development. There has to be a boom of some kind where a bunch of people get interested in learning how to do it proper and start opening shops.

I don't see breakfast taking off anytime soon. Japanese people just don't think about breakfast that way, and really don't go out to restaurants for breakfast. Royal Host and a scattering of boutiques is your only option for the foreseeable future.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Stringent posted:

Fish and chips I left out because that one's just a straight mystery to me. Fried fish and potatoes are both things that Japan does exceptionally well and literally all they have to do is put them on the same plate, but for some reason hardly anyone does.

You're supposed to eat it when you're falling down drunk but need to rally for the rest of the night. HTH.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Waltzing Along posted:

Like not even as good as waffle house and that is a very low bar to clear.

If you think about this for a minute you'll probably see that Waffle House is in fact a very high bar to clear in Japan. How many Japanese people do you think have ever eaten at a Waffle House? That goes for chefs as well as customers. American style bacon is more or less unique to America as far as I can tell (God knows why), so anyone serving is going to have to make it themselves. Same for hashbrows, they look simple, but getting that texture involves an industrial process of cutting them, getting most of the water out, freeze drying them and shipping them out. Making good hash browns is actually a shitload of work without that processed product. The eggs and pancakes thing is because Japanese cuisine doesn't favor that tough texture the American versions prefer. Etc., etc...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sale on Banksy art posted:

You're supposed to eat it when you're falling down drunk but need to rally for the rest of the afternoon. HTH.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

til some people think japanese mayo is "better".

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

When I'm 50, my career plan is to open a breakfast-only cafe (6-10am) with flat 500 yen "morning" sets of cheap, fast, comfortable diner food. Hopefully, in a remodeled school bus...

Ask me again in 15 years how my diner is doing.

peanut fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 10, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I find this thing about Japanese burgers kinda odd. Japan can't do American breakfast, sure. But burgers? They have better quality beef than the US does and it's not even close. They have higher quality produce. The baked goods are great. It's not hard to get mayo/mustard and ketchup right. And japanese mayo is better, anyway. So why wouldn't they have good burgers?

I'd say it is probably easier to find a quality burger in Japan than in the US. I mean from boutique burger joints.

But breakfast? Hahahaha. Noperoo. Can't do eggs right. Can't do bacon right. Somehow screw up pancakes, too. I'm sure there are some places that get it right, but in general, american breakfast in japan is awful. Like not even as good as waffle house and that is a very low bar to clear.

japanese customers generally don't like greasiness so the burgers tend to be dry and pretty looking but a bit joyless because it needs to be at least a little bit greasy

i dunno about fish and chips but most people ive talked to find the combination of fish and bread unthinkable, for example. might be the same way with fish and potatoes, it's just not a combination they're used to

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Literally every fast food and fast food adjacent place in Japan has a fish sandwich.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

japanese customers generally don't like greasiness so the burgers tend to be dry and pretty looking but a bit joyless because it needs to be at least a little bit greasy

Yeah the Japanese really hate to have any fat in their beef

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Magna Kaser posted:

til some people think japanese mayo is "better".

The only recipe I can think of where it might not be is potato salad

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Stringent posted:

Japan has a hard time with burgers and barbeque because these all have their origins as cheap working class food, even though they've been fancied up lately. But without that sense of making something delicious out of what's basically garbage it's hard to get at the true aesthetic of it. Everyone doing burgers and barbecue in Japan is coming at them straight from Instagram which removes a lot of important context.

from a certain point of view, that's what makes Carl's Jr. in Japan perfect - it's the exact same greasy nonsense that I remember far too well from college. And it's a bit better/nicer than either Burger King or McD's, while not being as fancied-up as Wendy's gets (thanks to that First Kitchen combo).

but yeah the American pub/diner aesthetic just doesn't exist, whether for greasy burgers or huge plates of breakfast.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah the Japanese really hate to have any fat in their beef

yeah im not going to argue with you because "guy who knows about japan" is literally your entire identity

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

whooosh

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

well and also "guy who knows about lard" i guess

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Ah snap the guy with a Japanese handle and Japanese author avatar and Japanese literature reference avatar text with a Japanese wife posting in the Japan thread about how much he misses Japan sure owned me on not having interests outside of Japan

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 10, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Ah snap the guy with a Japanese handle and Japanese author avatar and Japanese literature reference avatar text with a Japanese wife posting in the Japan thread about how much me misses Japan sure owned me on not having interests outside of Japan

oh poo poo, not my handle!!!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Chappers posted:

CRUZBURGERS near Yotsuya

And the Sasa Burger next to Daikanyama Station (there's also one near Nakameguro Station, but the vibe isn't as good.)

A few others, but I am forgetting which is which.

Thanks, I'll write them down for the future :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I went to McDonalds to try the shrimp burger and when I finished I was like "that was ok but I came to Japan and I'm eating McDonalds" ... :|

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The only time I went to a McDonalds in Japan was to eat the Yoshiki spicy teriyaki burger. Like all recent Yoshiki offerings, I was left with a vague sense of disappointment afterwards.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Martytoof posted:

I went to McDonalds to try the shrimp burger and when I finished I was like "that was ok but I came to Japan and I'm eating McDonalds" ... :|

Trying different fast food poo poo in different countries is fine and can be interesting. It's when you're eating there the whole time instead of touching local food that it's unfortunate.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
McDonalds has regional menus and it's interesting to see the generally hugely different level of service you get in different countries and it's entirely legit to try.

Just the other day I had the Taiwan-exclusive peanut butter burger and the chocolate peanut butter burger at BK; it's an experience.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
If you're in Japan over December and don't take your chance to have a Christmas KFC then what are you even doing?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
During helloween last year Japanese Starbucks had a pretty tasty frappuchino. Starbucks isn't really a thing in my country so I dont know if its exclusive, but it sure was tasty!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i always thought freshness burger and mos were alright but im european so my burger standards are low

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Archer666 posted:

During helloween last year Japanese Starbucks had a pretty tasty frappuchino. Starbucks isn't really a thing in my country so I dont know if its exclusive, but it sure was tasty!

Starbucks does special drinks every month or so in Japan. They do it in other places, as well, but not really in the US to the same extent. It's one thing I always try to do when I am in Japan: go to starbucks and try whatever the special of the month is. Depending on the drink, it will often sell out during the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Trying different fast food poo poo in different countries is fine and can be interesting. It's when you're eating there the whole time instead of touching local food that it's unfortunate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I tried it, I just couldn't escape the ".... I'm at McDonalds what am I doing" feeling.