Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I used itunes match when it came out and it turned all my rap albums into censored versions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That’s what you get for pirating :blastu:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I tried Apple Music years ago but their "similar artist radio" was hilariously bad for the type of music that I listen to. I'm sure their algorithm has improved a lot but I don't really care enough to switch off of Spotify.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The curation and general ability to search specific subgenres and find new music is lightyears ahead on Spotify tbh. Any time I see the stuff on Spotify I get jealous but then I remember what a nightmare it was trying to get my own music on to it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

:rip: MBA 2011 battery. Sorry for spilling diet Dr. Pepper on you in 2012.

e. I'm not sure if I want to put much more money into this 9 year old computer. Replacement A1406 batteries on ebay look cheap, but I have no idea if they'll immediately catch fire or not, and it's probably time for an upgrade.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 10, 2020

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

Because at the launch of Apple Music it wasn’t clear if, while it supported iTunes Match style uploading, there were limits on how much you could upload (there were limits on Spotify’s offering at the time). There was so much conflicting information and my library is big enough that I didn’t particularly want to risk it.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Apple Music includes Match and I think you can still buy Match by itself for $25/year.

I like Apple Music but the recommendation engine and curated playlists are nowhere near as good as spotify's. They also quietly added DJ mixes with from a company they bought out 4 years ago but it's so sparse and undeveloped, like so much of their other software.

That’s funny to me because Apple’s “similar artist” stations have helped me discover many new bands in weird genres. I like to call my taste in music “questionable at best” but thanks Apple for helping me find three more instrumental math-core bands today.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My 2013 MBPr is having lower battery life and I got the "Battery Service" message on the previous MacOS version, and now its reading as normal. Cycle count is at 661, max capacity is 4935mAh vs the initial 6330mAh (77% of max).

How can I tell if my battery is actually faulty? Does a faulty battery really drop my laptop performance by 50%? Does that issue go away if the laptop is plugged into a charger? If I decide its worth a battery replacement, is it best to take it to the Apple Store for service or should i try my hand at an iFixit kit?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The curation and general ability to search specific subgenres and find new music is lightyears ahead on Spotify tbh. Any time I see the stuff on Spotify I get jealous but then I remember what a nightmare it was trying to get my own music on to it.

Apple Music got way better with this last year, and for iOS14 they added tons of new genre options.

Actuarial Fables posted:

e. I'm not sure if I want to put much more money into this 9 year old computer. Replacement A1406
batteries on ebay look cheap, but I have no idea if they'll immediately catch fire or not, and it's probably time for an upgrade.

Do not pay to replace that battery. 2012 MBA is ancient and generally slow as hell.

Unless you’re fully priced out of a new machine, even like $100 wouldn’t be worth it.

buglord posted:

My 2013 MBPr is having lower battery life and I got the "Battery Service" message on the previous MacOS version, and now its reading as normal. Cycle count is at 661, max capacity is 4935mAh vs the initial 6330mAh (77% of max).

How can I tell if my battery is actually faulty? Does a faulty battery really drop my laptop performance by 50%? Does that issue go away if the laptop is plugged into a charger? If I decide its worth a battery replacement, is it best to take it to the Apple Store for service or should i try my hand at an iFixit kit?

Drop by 50%? No it won’t. A slight drop? Maybe.

Battery at apple is $200.

For ifixit, the battery is glued to the entire housing assembly, so you need to use a solvent to melt the adhesive. Additionally, the battery is soft cell and if you puncture it accidentally you’re in for a bad time.

If you don’t care about battery life, leave it plugged in and chug on until performance is an issue. If you care go pay to get it replaced.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Okay cool. I’m not sure where I got that 50% number in my head. This is mostly a safari/MS Office/Discord machine (and has been for the majority of its life) so I’ll see if I can keep it going until the hypothetical M2 or even M3 Air.

It’s all speculation I know but do you guys think by that time we might get Airs that can do rocket league/valorant/fortnite at respectable image quality and performance? And maybe without a fan going brrrr

I have my own gaming pc for that anyway but it’s exciting to think that ARM night not have killed MacOS gaming but might have reinvigorated it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

buglord posted:

It’s all speculation I know but do you guys think by that time we might get Airs that can do rocket league/valorant/fortnite at respectable image quality and performance? And maybe without a fan going brrrr

I have my own gaming pc for that anyway but it’s exciting to think that ARM night not have killed MacOS gaming but might have reinvigorated it?

Can the M1 Airs not do that already? Rocket league and fortnite run really well on the Switch, which is ARM and about half the power of a base iPad or iPhone.

Hell, rocket league ran well in a fanless GTX 750 setup I had a few years ago.

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

e. I'm not sure if I want to put much more money into this 9 year old computer. Replacement A1406 batteries on ebay look cheap, but I have no idea if they'll immediately catch fire or not, and it's probably time for an upgrade.

I have the same air with the same issue and and did a flier on one of those ebay batteries. Things worked fine for a month and then full dead. Don't waste your time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Actuarial Fables posted:

Many windows users would be on their 3rd laptop by now; it's had a good life and there's no shame in replacing it.

buglord posted:

Okay cool. I’m not sure where I got that 50% number in my head. This is mostly a safari/MS Office/Discord machine (and has been for the majority of its life) so I’ll see if I can keep it going until the hypothetical M2 or even M3 Air.

We're already there. The GPU in the M1 sits between a 1050ti and a 1060 in performance. Witcher 3 is playable via crossover.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hot dog my dudes. Thats pretty exciting. Hope M2 brings even more to the table.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

buglord posted:

Hot dog my dudes. Thats pretty exciting. Hope M2 brings even more to the table.

The M1 has 8 gpu cores. The leaks for an ‘M1X’ to be put into 16” macbook pros and iMacs next year reportedly has 16 and 32 core configurations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Can the M1 Airs not do that already? Rocket league and fortnite run really well on the Switch, which is ARM and about half the power of a base iPad or iPhone.

Hell, rocket league ran well in a fanless GTX 750 setup I had a few years ago.
Course they pulled the Mac version a while back so it'd depend on them either bringing it back or running it through Crossover (or whatever other Windows options there might be down the line).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Lord Bude posted:

The M1 has 8 gpu cores. The leaks for an ‘M1X’ to be put into 16” macbook pros and iMacs next year reportedly has 16 and 32 core configurations.

Supposedly the first Mac Pro chip’s going to come with 64 Firestorm CPU cores and 64 GPU cores according to some leakers I follow. Supposedly 64 M1 GPU cores performs “in the ballpark of a 3080”

Supposedly

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Supposedly the first Mac Pro chip’s going to come with 64 Firestorm CPU cores and 64 GPU cores according to some leakers I follow. Supposedly 64 M1 GPU cores performs “in the ballpark of a 3080”

Supposedly

That’s a lot of cores. Like that meme, holy poo poo I see a lot of cores. Still, could be cool stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Supposedly

That would be amazing and hilarious especially with how much power the 3080 draws.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

Apple Music got way better with this last year, and for iOS14 they added tons of new genre options.

Pretty lame that the many subgenres of metal and hip-hop are still just.... Metal and Hip-Hop

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Not That Into You posted:

I have the same air with the same issue and and did a flier on one of those ebay batteries. Things worked fine for a month and then full dead. Don't waste your time.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about those cheap batteries.

The Lord Bude posted:

Many windows users would be on their 3rd laptop by now; it's had a good life and there's no shame in replacing it.

Ask me about the surface pro 4 that I've had to replace under warranty 3 times now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

Ask me about the surface pro 4 that I've had to replace under warranty 3 times now.

Do tell. I don’t think I’d ever buy a pc I hadn’t built myself.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
First one had an immediate issue with the display glass, felt like sand was under it when trying to touch or draw. Got it replaced and picked up the extended warranty while I was at the MS store.
Second stopped detecting type covers (the keyboard) after a year. Got upgraded from 8GB to 16GB ram when doing the replacement so that was cool.
Third stopped accepting power just before the extended warranty was about to expire.
Now I'm on #4. It's now out of warranty and the type cover is growing veins, so I think once this stops working I'll stick with Windows for desktops and Macs for laptops.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

First one had an immediate issue with the display glass, felt like sand was under it when trying to touch or draw. Got it replaced and picked up the extended warranty while I was at the MS store.
Second stopped detecting type covers (the keyboard) after a year. Got upgraded from 8GB to 16GB ram when doing the replacement so that was cool.
Third stopped accepting power just before the extended warranty was about to expire.
Now I'm on #4. It's now out of warranty and the type cover is growing veins, so I think once this stops working I'll stick with Windows for desktops and Macs for laptops.

You need to destroy it before it finishes growing a circulatory system and develops consciousness.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

buglord posted:

It's 7 years old, it's probably shot. They don't pop up the service battery messages for shits and giggles.

A good test is to charge your battery up to 100%, and then when you start getting to around 50%, run Cinebench non-stop, or in Terminal run the following:

code:
yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null & yes > /dev/null &
If your Mac just up and shuts off for no reason before it hits 0%, the battery is dead. High CPU load will usually case a Mac with a faulty battery to just shut off somewhere around 30%.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Adorama has the new Mini for $625

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

Supposedly

not with shared DDR4 memory bandwidth they won't

Apple is going to have to give it some dedicated graphics memory at that point. Or do something wacky.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 10, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Well, my MBA came yesterday, quite early as my dad's did as well (was originally scheduled Dec 21-29.)

And not to rub it in the faces of people who haven't gotten theirs yet, but this thing is definitely all it's cracked up to be. It laughs at tasks that used to bring my 15" MBP to its knees. It's so fast with ordinary everyday things that I just feel calmer and less frustrated knowing my computer won't stand in the way of me getting poo poo done. It does what I need it to, instantly. This is definitely the biggest step up in everyday performance since I first installed an SSD ten years ago.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

I’ve heard the MS stores tend to just replace poo poo even if it’s not in warranty. Have you tried? Might be worth a shot.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Kingnothing posted:

I’ve heard the MS stores tend to just replace poo poo even if it’s not in warranty. Have you tried? Might be worth a shot.

didn’t they close them all

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Bob Morales posted:

Less than I paid for my airpods lmfao

RIP me :suicide:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

mediaphage posted:

didn’t they close them all

They sure did. The one closest to me (four hours away) is now a "lululemon Seasonal Pop Up".

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Actuarial Fables posted:

They sure did. The one closest to me (four hours away) is now a "lululemon Seasonal Pop Up".

rip

i still miss the sony stores. i always liked them more than apple stores.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Bob Morales posted:

Where did you see that? It says $699 on the website for me

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Where did you see that? It says $699 on the website for me

You have to use AppleInsiders link and coupon code

https://prices.appleinsider.com/mac-mini-late-2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah my 16GB BTO MBP was going to arrive the 24th but it just charged and should be here next week.

Looks like they’ve picked things up a bit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mediaphage posted:

rip

i still miss the sony stores. i always liked them more than apple stores.

this is all I know about the microsoft stores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah my 16GB BTO MBP was going to arrive the 24th but it just charged and should be here next week.

Looks like they’ve picked things up a bit.

My 16GB Air that had been delayed until next year shipped Tuesday and is scheduled for a Monday Delivery.

What’s interesting is fedex tracking shows it went from Shanghai > Japan > Memphis. I thought things almost always went through Anchorage.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FCKGW posted:

this is all I know about the microsoft stores

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSAXEVXvNz8

I just hate everything, everything about this.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-yh_sPjPQ

This is all that I need to know about Microsoft stores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

FCKGW posted: