Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Doctor Jeep posted:

lmao they're gonna bring back the great smog of london and some bastard op ed shithead is gonna say it's cause of all the immigrants and their spicy cooking
this is too real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

An insane mind posted:

This always baffled me, I mean yeah the U.S. is huge and probably a lucrative trading partner...but wouldn't having a trading block that you are geographically a lot closer to be far more preferable?

Those people speak foreign

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Doctor Jeep posted:

lmao they're gonna bring back the great smog of london and some bastard op ed shithead is gonna say it's cause of all the immigrants and their spicy cooking

boris johnson is that you?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

The Thames is going to turn into the Ankh and then London's congestion problems are fixed because you can just walk on the river (if you're fast)

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

An insane mind posted:

The Thames is going to turn into the Ankh and then London's congestion problems are fixed because you can just walk on the river (if you're fast)

Back to soaking the curtains in bleach to hide the smell of the Thames

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Wow, my Dad told me the other day about how he had read the BBC was rubbish because it was full of leftys, I almost threw a book at his head.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Defund the BBC is horseshoe theory at its best.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dravs posted:

Wow, my Dad told me the other day about how he had read the BBC was rubbish because it was full of leftys, I almost threw a book at his head.

apparently the old think the bbc is full of leftists, the young think the bbc is full of bad faith right wingers whereas in reality the bbc is actually full of liberals

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
what is a liberal as applied to the uk. is it the same as neoliberal. is it shorthand for fiscally conservative socially liberal

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

apparently the old think the bbc is full of leftists, the young think the bbc is full of bad faith right wingers whereas in reality the bbc is actually full of liberals

It's openly full of Tories but I don't really get where that puts them on a US scale. Personally I'd say they are further right than the democrats.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Jel Shaker posted:

but you repeat yourself

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Breath Ray posted:

what is a liberal as applied to the uk. is it the same as neoliberal. is it shorthand for fiscally conservative socially liberal

it literally means the same as in the US op

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

BBC has done more to boost and establish the far-right in mainstream politics than even Enoch Powell.

They have plenty of attractive ethnic minorities and gay people in TV presenting roles but all of the BBC’s main journalists, policy makers and head office are upper class oxbridge swamp creatures who were young Tories at university

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

If you want to understand what a UK liberal is, first imagine a US liberal. Wait, you're not done. Second, subtract whatever traces of "feels vaguely, weakly responsible for protection of civil rights etc." you can find out of them. Imagine *that* creature! A completely pointless, spineless, soggy noodle of a human. That's a UK liberal.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

are Lib Dems liberals are they more "classical liberals"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Maximo Roboto posted:

they are the quivering epitome of liberalism

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Maximo Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/987224718049792001

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

here's a fun one: was the sdp-liberal alliance in '81 further to the left of labor today

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
that doesnt sound fun at all

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

i say swears online posted:

here's a fun one: was the sdp-liberal alliance in '81 further to the left of labor today

It's impossible to be left of [position not found]

Another victory for keith

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What is the reputation of the SDP, anyway? I've seen them compared to Christian-democrats

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

they're Democrats

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

If you want to understand what a UK liberal is, first imagine a US liberal. Wait, you're not done. Second, subtract whatever traces of "feels vaguely, weakly responsible for protection of civil rights etc." you can find out of them. Imagine *that* creature! A completely pointless, spineless, soggy noodle of a human. That's a UK liberal.

Don't forget to suck out whatever meagre shreds of charisma, cool, and good looks the US liberal has too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

What is the reputation of the SDP, anyway? I've seen them compared to Christian-democrats

they were explicitly modeled on the west german mixed economy apparently, so that was a comparison they likely made themselves

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

lol how the Anglosphere is so inherently more right-wing than the rest of Europe that their SD's act like CD's right off the bat

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The secret is they didn't give any fucks about the ideology behind aocial democrats, they just wanted to have a cool name for their "stick it to the left" party.

Though they did make the libs into lib dems which is a funnier name imo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Maximo Roboto posted:

lol how the Anglosphere is so inherently more right-wing than the rest of Europe that their SD's act like CD's right off the bat

to be charitable, the German CDs are probably the furthest left party of that flavor in europe. I know the Dutch ones suck

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

why dont the dutch just make weed illegal again, all they do is poo poo on it and say it sucks. then gently caress off

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

liberal used to mean centre right, pro-business type, the old Liberal party used to be the main opposition to the tories before merging with them after finally getting owned.
(iirc before the libs it was the whigs while the tories have sorta been there eternally as the forces of evil on the wrong side of history every single time)

nowadays it has got more wrapped up with the american meaning of just anything to the left of the right wing

e: its funny thinking about it how parliament established 800 years of rule by the landed gentry up to this lot
haha, the only reason we have a third party is to act as a spoiler to the left, chortle

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 17:39 on Dec 9, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

There's also a very weird narrow period where 'neoliberal' meant 'markets, but with robust state interventions.'

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Tulip posted:

There's also a very weird narrow period where 'neoliberal' meant 'markets, but with robust state interventions.'

I think that's why ordoliberalism is described as a neoliberal ideology

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nonsense posted:

why dont the dutch just make weed illegal again, all they do is poo poo on it and say it sucks. then gently caress off

Because Amsterdam's economy is stagdo-based.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Weed is actually illegal in the Netherlands :)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

oliwan posted:

Weed is actually illegal in the Netherlands :)

Waste of a country imo.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Amsterdam is like London except much more blunt and direct, and much prettier. You can get weed on every corner in both, but in Amsterdam they have shops for it. You can’t use toilets in shops without paying in both, but instead of loving around with key locks, the Dutch just charge you to use the bathroom. Just imagine everything about English culture (such as it is) magnified and in your face, and that’s Amsterdam.

Also bikes.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

And probably not super-expensive

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Communist Thoughts posted:

nowadays it has got more wrapped up with the american meaning of just anything to the left of the right wing
Including just rhetorically the the left, even if more right wing in terms of material effect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

Amsterdam is like London except much more blunt and direct, and much prettier. You can get weed on every corner in both, but in Amsterdam they have shops for it. You can’t use toilets in shops without paying in both, but instead of loving around with key locks, the Dutch just charge you to use the bathroom. Just imagine everything about English culture (such as it is) magnified and in your face, and that’s Amsterdam.

Also bikes.

The bikes are also extremely in your face. As are the vans. And the trams. My eyesight isn't great, and Amsterdam is the one city that's made me feel genuinely unsafe as a pedestrian. Not even Marrakesh was anywhere near as bad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

You really have to treat the bike lanes as you would a main road but it's not that bad given almost every junction is light controlled. A few years ago Mrs Boat and I had a long weekend in Amsterdam and right outside the hotel we saw a French tourist almost step into the path of an oncoming bike. Her companion grabbed her arm and indicating the lights said "non non non, le monsieur rouge!"

Italy was way more unnerving given cars don't actually stop at pedestrian crossings until you step into the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sounds like Amsterdam is just too powerful for your weak-chinned English constitutions.