Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Are people in this thread (and the UK in general) just resigned to brexit? Because there seems to be almost no discussion here, with you guys only days/weeks away from going off a cliff.

Are there any protests in the UK, is there any political opposition left? Because even Labour would now vote for brexit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The organised anti-Brexit campaigns just packed their bags and went home the second Corbyn was ousted as Labour leader. It was quite something.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CSM posted:

Are people in this thread (and the UK in general) just resigned to brexit? Because there seems to be almost no discussion here, with you guys only days/weeks away from going off a cliff.

Are there any protests in the UK, is there any political opposition left? Because even Labour would now vote for brexit?

Honestly, there's nothing I feel we can do anymore. It's rolling off a cliff and just feels totally inevitable/wanted by the people in power. It's really, really poo poo.

I keep seeing twitter ads from the government saying 'Make sure your business is prepared for Brexit!', as if we actually know what'll be happening.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Brexit already happened a year ago.

Even if Labour were willing to fight (they aren't) there's very little to be done in the face of this government's massive majority.

We have all dehumanised, built our stockpiles, and faced to bloodshed.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

CSM posted:

Brexit happened 10 months ago. This is just the Wile E Coyote hanging in the air part*

The time period for negotiating a deal after 31 Jan this year wasn't really long enough even with the available extensions (not taken), but would have been manageable with a good faith competent government. 11 months with bad faith time wasters and fundamentally incompatible demands (which have been predictable since 2016) was never going to work.

So there's not really anything left to protest.

*E: This may sound pedantic, as of course it's only de facto happening in 3 weeks, but up until 31 Jan this year, the UK gov could at any point have said "whoopsy, take it all back, Article 50 is cancelled, please don't hate us". They were never going to do that of course, but it's something that a protestor could demand - an on-paper very simple way to STOP BREXIT! Now that is impossible.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 10, 2020

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Yeah we all know we’re hosed. The only ones still in denial are the fbpe hardliners hoping that the queens lawyers don’t interfere in her stopping brexit

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Oh and she's from Labour.

Since the tweet doesn't say.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Total Meatlove posted:

25 minutes, a raspberry pi and questionable morals and you can set a completely automated and self-secured usenet container stack with plex running. All the old guys get lazy and look to make life easier and it benefits everybody.

Wait, are you saying you can just connect to various NNTP servers from your home computer? I thought those servers were only accessible via ISPs or something?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Maugrim posted:

We have all dehumanised, built our stockpiles, and faced to bloodshed.

Have we? I've just carried on as normal. If food and water supplies run out it's not like the Lord Humongous won't hit me on the head and steal mine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My flat barely has room for our regular food and supplies. The idea of being able to horde enough food and bog roll to make any noticeable difference is an impossibility, which I expect is true of the vast majority of people outside of very rural areas.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

jaete posted:

Wait, are you saying you can just connect to various NNTP servers from your home computer? I thought those servers were only accessible via ISPs or something?

You either sub to a monthly fee for access to a Usenet provider with a good retention and no takedowns for unlimited downloads, or buy a data 'block' of say 10tb downloads to use whenever. This is why some folks dislike Usenet as a method of acquiring content, if you're paying for it it's 'more criminal' and you should just get it all 100% free with torrents.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I did tell you all to get fat instead

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 'Nordic' Model, FOSTA, and SESTA are all dogshit laws for SWERFs who have never had any skin in the game and want to feel righteous, and have all made things worse.

CSM posted:

I'd rather live on potatoes than bow down to a union that tolerates fascists like Orban and crypto-fascists like Duda.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CSM posted:

I mean we had a massive anti-Brexit march some months back, and as usual with these marches (against tuition fees, against the Iraq war, yada yada) the result was the square root of gently caress all. The government doesn't care about protests.

If you want an even here it would be the Lib Dems, Labour have always had to have a nuanced position on Brexit because half their potential voters lust for it (see: our election last year where said voters voted en masse for the Brexit party when Labour moved to a second referendum position, handing the Tories a massive majority). The Lib Dems have spent the last few years making their identity the 'Party of Remain', they too got rinsed in the election, and even they've thrown in the towel now.

Edit: hmm. Just noticed I said 'their' not 'our'. Interesting, that.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 10, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
hope you people have all been stockpiling and building up your weapon supply for when the raiders come up a year in after the food train supply dries up

been seeing them at the corners of my eyes, got me nervous got me hosed up

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Just so much heinous poo poo all the loving time

https://twitter.com/kennardmatt/status/1336986384230473728?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CSM posted:

We left the EU at the start of this year, gently caress else are we meant to be doing? It happened, we're hosed, it sucks but spending every waking moment flapping your arms in panic helps not at all.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

CSM posted:

There were protests a while ago, but since Boris won the election on "get Brexit done", there is not much left to protest about. Labour lost a few seats in the north due to it brexit position, so there really is nothing stand on at the moment.

There are a few rumblings of a "rejoin" campaign, but they are waiting for the inevitable no deal disaster to kick in first.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

josh04 posted:

The organised anti-Brexit campaigns just packed their bags and went home the second Corbyn was ousted as Labour leader. It was quite something.

The second Johnson won his majority you mean.

Which looking at the calendar was exactly a year ago, but somehow doesn’t feel at all really like that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cerv posted:

Which looking at the calendar was exactly a year ago, but somehow doesn’t feel at all really like that.

Christ, that's an upsetting thought.

I can still remember my heart dropping through the floor when that exit poll came through.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

We left the EU at the start of this year, gently caress else are we meant to be doing? It happened, we're hosed, it sucks but spending every waking moment flapping your arms in panic helps not at all.

Eh, I think this is kinda the narrative the media wants people to accept - that it's over. We "left the EU", but the transition period means that we don't effectively leave until the end of the year, which is when we're actually hosed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gort posted:

Eh, I think this is kinda the narrative the media wants people to accept - that it's over. We "left the EU", but the transition period means that we don't effectively leave until the end of the year, which is when we're actually hosed.

I am aware that things won't get bad until the transition period is over but I still don't see what people are meant to do about it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I'd rather live on potatoes than bow down to a union that tolerates fascists like Orban and crypto-fascists like Duda.

I didn't think you were a radical scotnat.

Joke, top gear, etc.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

I am aware that things won't get bad until the transition period is over but I still don't see what people are meant to do about it.

Oh, sure, there's basically nothing to do because there are no votes for years, and even if there were votes there's still nobody to vote for. Just nitpicking the use of the past tense for something that ain't happened yet.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Here's an idea, maybe instead of doing this, we loving arrest and jail traffickers.

If we're gonna have cops, at least point them at other bastards.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

not being able to go abroad this summer is going to cause fireworks

or maybe only those vaccinated can go, and it just so happens that it’s the rich >65 yr old gammons who get vaccinated first and can go to the costa del sol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Here's an idea, maybe instead of doing this, we loving arrest and jail traffickers.

That's going to upset the people who own and operate nonce rings though, so there's no chance of it passing the judiciary.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Yeah we all know we’re hosed. The only ones still in denial are the fbpe hardliners hoping that the queens lawyers don’t interfere in her stopping brexit

Are there any of them left?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cerv posted:

The second Johnson won his majority you mean.

You'd think that once there was a large parliamentary majority in favour of something then there'd be more need for an outside campaign pushing the other angle.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

thespaceinvader posted:

Part of the problem with that approach is unless you provide resources to engage and protect the people who are trafficked in, you'll never get witnesses willing to testify as to whom the traffickers are. (Which doesn't hit upon the problems that the victims of traffickers are unlikely to know the full structure of the organization that they have been brought into.)

This is one of those offences where you need to be more Batman than Batgirl (Cassandra Cain.)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Okay so I dressed up and beat up a mentally unwell person doing cosplay rather than using my billions to establish a network of safehouses and citizenship lawyers, what now?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Have you moped about on a rooftop yet? That's next.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

CSM posted:

The government is clearly aiming for No Deal/Hard Brexit, as a large number of senior (and very rich) Tories wanted right from the start. All the arguments about fishing rights, etc, are just a sideshow that can be used as an excuse to 'explain' that the nasty EU simply refused to compromise on these very reasonable demands and therefore with great regret we must take the hardest of hard Brexits and it's all their fault.

Result: the pound plunges, the short-sellers make a fortune, then the disaster capitalist vultures swoop in to buy up economically battered businesses on the cheap. Now, who literally wrote the book on disaster capitalism again? Oh yes, the father of the current Leader of the House of Commons, £100 million fortune-holder, offshore hedge fund founder and ultra-Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg. :thunk:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Okay so I dressed up and beat up a mentally unwell person doing cosplay rather than using my billions to establish a network of safehouses and citizenship lawyers, what now?

Find an orphan to be your weird sidekick, also get an old cockerney butler to dispense sage advice

Edit: did you build an underground cave hideout yet

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've got 3 fray bentos pies in the cupboard for when poo poo gets real

Wes D.
Jul 17, 2006

CSM posted:

I'm an American expat living in Wiltshire since 2007. Got my citizenship in 2013. I tend to track US politics more than UK but this thread is always my first stop to start getting a feel for what's going on.

I am completely resigned to it. My wife is a life long Tory that voted against leave. Her entire family are Leave voters barring her younger brother who is much more aligned with me (raging commie lefty demoRat if you ask my family in Alabama). After the vote I had a few conversations with my in-laws about why they voted the way they did. All the years they have shown me nothing but love and acceptance, and that series of conversations broke me. I never regretted moving here until then. It was literally all about immigrants and Euro's controlling us. Bendy bananas made an appearance. I had to ask my wife what the gently caress they were going on about. I don't talk about politics with them anymore.

I work for a German company, all our stock comes from Germany and most of our support supply lines are Euro based with no acceptable suitable subs in the UK market.

I'm hosed, my company is hosed, poor folks in the country are proper hosed...and it feels like there ain't poo poo I can do about it. So yeah, whatever happens, happens. Me reading or talking about it don't matter.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Wes D. posted:

I'm an American expat living in Wiltshire since 2007. Got my citizenship in 2013. I tend to track US politics more than UK but this thread is always my first stop to start getting a feel for what's going on.

I am completely resigned to it. My wife is a life long Tory that voted against leave. Her entire family are Leave voters barring her younger brother who is much more aligned with me (raging commie lefty demoRat if you ask my family in Alabama). After the vote I had a few conversations with my in-laws about why they voted the way they did. All the years they have shown me nothing but love and acceptance, and that series of conversations broke me. I never regretted moving here until then. It was literally all about immigrants and Euro's controlling us. Bendy bananas made an appearance. I had to ask my wife what the gently caress they were going on about. I don't talk about politics with them anymore.

I work for a German company, all our stock comes from Germany and most of our support supply lines are Euro based with no acceptable suitable subs in the UK market.

I'm hosed, my company is hosed, poor folks in the country are proper hosed...and it feels like there ain't poo poo I can do about it. So yeah, whatever happens, happens. Me reading or talking about it don't matter.

you need to sever

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

It's to do with deep comic lore.
Cassandra Cain was the Batgirl introduced in the late 90's. She was a girl who was raised in isolation and never taught language with the idea that she would learn to read body language and would be an unbeatable martial artist. (Because, you know. Comics.)
She eventually became a hero and joined up with Batman and learnt some English but could never learn to read or write.

This meant a lot of the time when she had solo adventures, she couldn't really find clues and do detective stuff. And so most of the time her solution was "go into a bar. Start beating up people until someone confessed." Or "have Oracle tell her what to do."

Anyone who has ever played a party in D&D tasked with solving a crime and then realizing that no one in the party has any investigation skills or spells will be familiar with this.

This is in contrast with Batman, who as the World's Greatest Detective, is often showing investigating crimes before and compiles (legally dodgy but potentially admissible) evidence then he starts beating people up.

Tldr: Have you ever noticed how Boris Johnson looks like the Joker from the 1989 Batman film where he has crudely put on makeup to cover his alabaster white skin?
Boris Johnson is probably the Joker and Batman should jump in and start fighting with him during the next PMQ's.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Wes D. posted:

you have passed the citizenship test

:thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Wes D. posted:

I had a similar experience with my wider group of friends, not family, who all voted Leave because <insert tabloid anti-EU nonsense here>. My wife is Dutch, so that didn't really sit too well with me, and now I almost never see them. Covid helped me sever.