Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Rallycross rookies needs to be a 25 year old bimmer with no fenders, blizzaks, and straight headers out the hood

I think you mean 5.0 Mustang with a welded diff, rattle can paint job and Hoonigan stickers.

Damnit, now I want a beater class race series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
An old volvo with a $500 claiming rule

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
jokkis when

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemons in iracing when

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

KillHour posted:

I think you mean 5.0 Mustang with a welded diff, rattle can paint job and Hoonigan stickers.

Damnit, now I want a beater class race series.

Yep. The biggest problem with the Dallara iR-01 is that you are opening yourself up, as a company, to a bunch of weirdos demanding and paying for a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback with incomprehensible tuning "mods."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a problem that people are willing to pay $8.99 for a laser scan of an old Civic with a "carbon" vinyl wrapped hood and a fart can?

They don't even need to run IRL. You could just spend a couple weeks at a junkyard and make years of content.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

iracing scan my dad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kidcoelacanth posted:

iracing scan my dad

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I demand iRacing scan the shed mod that Niels made.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Week 13 nonsense.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Battle of the little wings remains amazing, and I’ll hear no argument. :colbert:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the 87 and 2020 nascar race seems fun
I just keep on trying to get back into iRacing but the dedicated times just kills it. I sit down for an evening with my limited timeframe.. some idiot runs over me on lap 2 and I'm done since indy ahs a 2 hr window and I missed the start of the nascar race so I'm hosed anyways.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 7, 2020

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I’m an idiot who will probably buy the ir01 and never do an official race with it

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko posted:

Battle of the little wings remains amazing, and I’ll hear no argument. :colbert:

WHY THE gently caress IS LITTLE WINGS MAZDAS LOTUS 79s AND F31s?!?!?

Serious question: Have they done this before? Last season was my first week 13, and it was Skippys and F3, and it was fantastic.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrYenko posted:

WHY THE gently caress IS LITTLE WINGS MAZDAS LOTUS 79s AND F31s?!?!?

Serious question: Have they done this before? Last season was my first week 13, and it was Skippys and F3, and it was fantastic.

This is how week 13 goes. They make a really fun wacky series, and then the next season they ruin it because morons want DA FAST CARS. See: Tube frame twister.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure little wings has always been F3 and Skips, though before the F3 I think it was the Formula Renault 2.0 and Skips. iRacing does have a habit of ruining fan favourite week 13 things by pointlessly changing them so they're no longer what people really liked, like when the Tube Frame Twister which was all Late Models on road courses and was awesome got changed to be Radicals and GT1s and sucked.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

MrYenko posted:

This season in particular. I've never driven the Mazda before and it's a hoot.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

njsykora posted:

I'm pretty sure little wings has always been F3 and Skips, though before the F3 I think it was the Formula Renault 2.0 and Skips. iRacing does have a habit of ruining fan favourite week 13 things by pointlessly changing them so they're no longer what people really liked, like when the Tube Frame Twister which was all Late Models on road courses and was awesome got changed to be Radicals and GT1s and sucked.

Old-style Tube Frame Twister should be an official series.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Nothing in the release notes about jumps on Long Beach. :(

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Are the radicals still on the old tires?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Are the radicals still on the old tires?

Nothings left on the old tyres except IR18 and L79 oval.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
So I'm a wannabe racing driver, have an ultrawide monitor and G29, but I think my brain has been poisoned by Mario Kart, Burnout, etc. I haven't played a sim racing game since PS3 and Gran Turismo, and I think I've got a ton of bad video game racing habits. I have a fondness for Laguna Seca, but it seems extremely difficult. Tried some ovals too and I can't make it 5 laps cleanly yet.

So I'm curious what is the best track/car combo to get good on before starting any rookie series, and what target times I should be looking for? What's tips would best help the transition?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Miata on any of the free tracks and the time you're looking for is "however slow you have to go to make 10 laps without any incident points"

Edit: when you make it out of rookies, switch to the Skippy

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 9, 2020

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

So regarding the fairly recent "what GT3 to buy" discussion: It looks like the new BMW M4 is going to replace the Mercedes as the one GT3 you can buy and still do everything GT3. It will be in IMSA alongside the Lambo, but will likely also be in the Nurburgring Endurance Series while the Lambo won't. So for anyone who actually cares how much money they throw at iracing who hasn't bought a GT3 yet but plans to, you might want to wait a couple weeks for the M4 to drop.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bear Pope equivocates so often I'm pretty sure I own them all already.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nybble posted:

So I'm a wannabe racing driver, have an ultrawide monitor and G29, but I think my brain has been poisoned by Mario Kart, Burnout, etc. I haven't played a sim racing game since PS3 and Gran Turismo, and I think I've got a ton of bad video game racing habits. I have a fondness for Laguna Seca, but it seems extremely difficult. Tried some ovals too and I can't make it 5 laps cleanly yet.

So I'm curious what is the best track/car combo to get good on before starting any rookie series, and what target times I should be looking for? What's tips would best help the transition?

Slow down until you can make clean laps consistently then add speed.

Remember it’s more about braking and throttle control than anything else

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So a Little Wings #Lifehack is not to qualify. Launches are a compete poo poo show in the lower splits. You can gain a dozen or more positions by weaving through the early carnage. I started second to last and wound up finishing second.

I also tried the anti-stall clutch on the MX-5 today. Granted, this is with paddle shifters, but watching you’d think I didn’t own a stick for 20 years. Right foot braking and heel-toe felt completely foreign to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

In week 13 the carnage is the fun and its more fun when you’re in the middle of it all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Nybble posted:

It's old and cheesy, but I found this video super helpful as an "I remember powersliding around corners in Gran Turismo 1; how does actual driving work?" primer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-sGV2XXUeU

It's long, but it's worth watching at least the first 30 minutes, in which they'll explain and show practical footage of some basic stuff, like racing lines (aka "why hugging each corner is actually slow"), how the throttle affects cornering (aka "why lifting off the gas just made you spin, and slamming it back on didn't help"), and threshold braking (aka "why mashing the brake worsens your braking"). Plus, the car they use is in the game (Skip Barber Formula 2000, aka "Skippy"), and is a common vehicle to hop into once you're out of the Miata rookie series.

There's wayyyyyy more to learn than this, of course, but the "play iRacing and have fun" basics aren't complicated. Also, don't worry about optimizing everything before diving into actual races. You're paying all this money so that you can race with people, and the rookie series are specifically there so that new drivers can gently caress up and learn together. Practice whatever track is in session, and once you can string together a few laps around that track without biffing it (even if you're slow), then hop into a race. Don't worry about target times. iRacing is unique in that you can have the time of your life battling some other slow newbie for 12th place (and you'll learn a ton from those experiences). You don't have to win a single race in your life to have fun.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Vando posted:

Nothings left on the old tyres except IR18 and L79 oval.

Well dang I've been avoiding them for some reason. Thought they still were on the old ones. Not that I really have a reason to run them, having the P2 and a bunch of other downforce cars, but I just like the car in general

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I present myself for being pointed and laughed at. I am now a member of the 40pc club.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Checking out the Dave Cam Long Beach video and the track looks beautiful.

Taborcarn
Jan 8, 2020

Battle Santa
The Skippies at Long Beach unranked series going on this week is wonderful carnage. A couple of races I've been in there have only had the top 3 out of 19 racers actually finish the race (rather than be stuck in the pit with a longer repair time than the actual race or DQed entirely).

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The best strategy at Long Beach is to start in the first two rows. I recommend getting good at qualifying there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPp4iVpfRl0

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Taborcarn posted:

The Skippies at Long Beach unranked series going on this week is wonderful carnage. A couple of races I've been in there have only had the top 3 out of 19 racers actually finish the race (rather than be stuck in the pit with a longer repair time than the actual race or DQed entirely).

Little wing races have basically been the same, or at least the ones I've been in. My road ranking is pretty low. I've been going with skipping qualifying to avoid being run into the back of on the first turn but it hasn't really worked out. One race I was wrecked before I even took the start/finish at the drop of the green. Guy lost it off the grid, fishtailed and ultimately drove into my side as I tried to sneak by, flipping my car over. The only bonus was when I reset I didn't have to wait for a tow, it counted me as missing the start so it was only like a 10 sec penalty.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Mr. Powers posted:

I present myself for being pointed and laughed at. I am now a member of the 40pc club.

Brother I've been a member of that club since 2008 and have taken YEARS long breaks. I'm quite the mark.

Finally replaced my G25(!!) and aim to get a handle on the Supercar this season. Doing pretty good in testing with it, but the new wheel (t300) has really exposed how bad a non loadcell brake setup is - still using the G25 pedals.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

compressioncut posted:

Doing pretty good in testing with it, but the new wheel (t300) has really exposed how bad a non loadcell brake setup is - still using the G25 pedals.

I hear of people doing this a lot, but really the pro move is the other way around. I got load cell pedals (Clubsport V3s) to go with my G27 and then a belt drive wheel (TS-PC) later. Given the choice between a better wheel and logitech pedals or a logitech wheel and load cell pedals, I'd take the load cell pedals every time.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, with the clubsport load cell pedal but also i've heard some bad reviews of those. Do people here use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I use the v3 pedals, no complaints here, I really like the very solid all-metal construction. They feel indestructible.

I’ve seen some people claim they aren’t worth the price difference from the elite pedals with the LC upgrade though. Particularly if you prefer to have your legs more centrally and don’t drive cars that need a clutch.

I don’t know how anybody ever drives a non-ABS car without load cell pedals.