Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/QPdgwAr.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

Elon smoked a doobie with Joe Rogan so he's legally not allowed to really run SpaceX because they do government contracts. So he can do things like this, but I don't think he has as much power to poo poo it up like he does with Tesla.

Interesting factoid, never considered that before.

Usually I'm on the Elon Hate Crew but Boeing has hosed up more than SpaceX which is truly impressive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Starliner

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I don't remember if it's been mentioned here or not, but the rear doors on the Tesla Model 3 do not have a manual means to open if the car loses power. I hope to god nobody gets caught in the backseat during a battery fire.

It's not like that's a new concern either, they had manual door handles for all the seats on the previous models and for the front seats of the Model 3. gently caress Tesla, and the best thing that ever happened to SpaceX was Musk becoming an FAA liability on stream

^^Also extremely gently caress Boeing in general^^

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 10, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I was pretty sure they do, it's just unmarked and you just have to partially dismantle the door to get at it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, the Model 3 has no way of opening the rear doors in a power loss situation.

All Teslas have electronic switches to pop the door latch rather than a mechanical connection to the handle, so in general the doors cannot be opened without power.

In the front seats of the car, you can yank the handle further than it normally goes, past a soft stop, and the door will be mechanically forced open. Tesla recommends that you do not do this except in case of emergency because it can break the windows.

In the rear of the Model S, there is a cable hidden under the floor mats. You lift up the carpet and fold it back and pull on that and the rear doors will open.

In the rear of the Model X, the cable is hidden inside the door. You pry off the speaker grille and reach inside and find the cable and pull that and it releases the latch, then you lift the door over your head to get out (it weighs roughly 80lb).

In the rear of the Model 3 and Model Y, you're stuck. There are no secret cables. You break a window or crawl out through the front.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

The Lone Badger posted:

I was pretty sure they do, it's just unmarked and you just have to partially dismantle the door to get at it

Hope you have a screwdriver within reach in the back or long fingernails.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Out of curiosity: why? What advantages does it bring to not just use the same system every car in the past 30 years has done, with an extra little motor doodad to open it via electronics? We know it's neither bulky nor expensive to do it the traditional way.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Elon really wanted the car to have flush door handles that pop out automatically when you walk up.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
consider yourself disrupted

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Man, if I could afford a Tesla I'd probably own my own home by now.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sagebrush posted:

All Teslas have electronic switches to pop the door latch rather than a mechanical connection to the handle, so in general the doors cannot be opened without power.

In the front seats of the car, you can yank the handle further than it normally goes, past a soft stop, and the door will be mechanically forced open. Tesla recommends that you do not do this except in case of emergency because it can break the windows.

In the rear of the Model S, there is a cable hidden under the floor mats. You lift up the carpet and fold it back and pull on that and the rear doors will open.

In the rear of the Model X, the cable is hidden inside the door. You pry off the speaker grille and reach inside and find the cable and pull that and it releases the latch, then you lift the door over your head to get out (it weighs roughly 80lb).

In the rear of the Model 3 and Model Y, you're stuck. There are no secret cables. You break a window or crawl out through the front.

How is this not in violation of safety regulations?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lead out in cuffs posted:

How is this not in violation of safety regulations?

It’s so dumb that the people who wrote the regulations never imagined that anyone would design a car like that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Azhais posted:

all pilots aboard died

To be just, our law must be cruel.

:shrug:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Probably a good time to note that the goal of Starship is to literally replace airplanes. (As well as landing on and traveling to every solid body in the solar system.). Part of the reason for this is that this is the only way they can fly enough to reach their target price per flight, needing multiple launches per week to reach the revolutionary low prices and there still aren’t enough payloads to fly into space that would need such incredible frequency. Not even Starlink alone is enough to get there.

Musk fans also like to assume that it will replace most other countries’ rockets as well due to cheapness, and add those in as well.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
why does everyone hate elon musk? usually I don't buy into the internet dogpiling echo chamber of hate for people, but it seems especially vile for musk. gently caress him why?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Twat McTwatterson posted:

why does everyone hate elon musk? usually I don't buy into the internet dogpiling echo chamber of hate for people, but it seems especially vile for musk. gently caress him why?

He comes from a family that used slave labor to get rich. He's an ideas man that sits on the shoulders of those that actually know wtf they're making and takes all the credit. He's another turbo rich piece of poo poo that gives nothing of value to society while his company runs even more unsafe factory operations. That's the short list.

E: the sad thing is there are a majority of people that suck his rear end and think he's the second coming and can do no wrong

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Oh my sweet summer child...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Musk’s dad was an apartheid era emerald mine magnate that fled to the usa with his family and wealth to avoid any type of reconciliation.

Musk is nothing more than Donald Trump. He’s a huckster that grew up fabulously wealthy at the expense of some of the worst state sanctioned modern human rights abuses and has lucked his way into his positions now. His entire “persona” is careful made to present him as some supergenius, but he’s just another rich guy selling bullshit to get richer.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

His plan to colonize Mars is the textbook definition of indentured servitude. Like he stumbled across the wiki article for indentured servitude and copy-pasted it into a proposal.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I mean, other than that there's a bit of a cultish hero-worship of him more broadly on the internet?

I think a big part is that he's the ur-techbro, typifying everything wrong about techbros. Nominally progressive but actually busily "disrupting" workers' rights while vomiting out diatribes in Twitter about establishing his own personal authoritarian dystopia on Mars. Not actually particularly skilled, but Dunning-Kreugered enough to think that he can solve any problem.

Also Tesla is something of a menace to society - they're the deadliest cars on the road, but keep fudging figures to give their customers a false sense of security. (See above about how they can become death traps for the passengers if the power ever fails.)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cthulu Carl posted:

His plan to colonize Mars is the textbook definition of indentured servitude. Like he stumbled across the wiki article for indentured servitude and copy-pasted it into a proposal.

Yeah, Richard K. Morgan's Th1rte3n and Thin Air are meant as critiques not, you know, blueprints?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

He's a pedo guy.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Oh and don't forget his "analysis" of covid and claim we'd be at zero cases by the end of April 2020, then leaned hard on chud propaganda when he got proved wrong.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Phone posting but wanted to add that Tesla has stupid high workers comp cases bc musk wants to reinvent the wheel at every opportunity. Just one example is the Tesla factories just now installed pits on the assembly line to keep employees from having to bend over all day. Even the quick change lube places are aware of pit existence but bc musk is convinced he’s the smartest most wonderful guy ever he has to learn everything the hard way

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Much like Trump he's one of the few people in the world who has no redeeming qualities. Nothing nice can be said about him, and he spends most of his time actively making the world a worse place for everyone.

Plus all his sycophantic fans combined with the most lazy regulators (Traffic, space and financial regulators) on earth makes him insufferably full of himself.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

Here's the complete Tesla list:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/kAi97vp.mp4

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Of course the single most repulsive thing about Musk is that every time he does something idiotic, immoral, or just downright illegal he only gets even richer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Musk is nothing more than Donald Trump.

Donald Trump is a better public speaker and has better control of his temper.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorTristan posted:

Of course the single most repulsive thing about Musk is that every time he does something idiotic, immoral, or just downright illegal he only gets even richer.

this, but the rich in general

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Accusing that rescue diver of being a pedo was a great look, too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

Donald Trump is a better public speaker and has better control of his temper.

:stonk: watch out, people have been sued and even killed for slighter insults!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Remember the time Grimes invited over Azalea Banks and instead of hanging out or doing anything together musk and grimes ghosted her.

The best theory I’ve heard is musk heard azalea and thought grimes meant iggy.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

OSHA relevant:

quote:

Among the more baffling details in the report are several sections about how Elon Musk’s personal tastes appear to have affected the factory’s safety for the worse, “his preferences … were well known and led to cutting back on those standard safety signals.” Musk, apparently, really hates the color yellow. So instead of using the aforementioned hue, lane lines on the factory floor are painted in shades of gray. (Tesla denies this and sent Reveal photos of “rails and posts” painted yellow in the factory.) He also is not into having “too many signs” or the beeping sound forklifts make in reverse. All things that would seem, uh, important to keeping staff safe. “It’s just a matter of time before somebody gets killed,” a former safety lead said of the conditions in the factory. One employee attempted to call attention to these problems before eventually resigning:

A few months into her job, White became so alarmed that she wrote to a human resources manager that “the risk of injury is too high. People are getting hurt every day and near-hit incidents where people are getting almost crushed or hit by cars is unacceptable.” […]

In her March 2017 resignation letter, White recounted the time she told her boss, Seth Woody, “that the plant layout was extremely dangerous to pedestrians.” Woody, head of the safety team, told her “that Elon didn’t want signs, anything yellow (like caution tape) or to wear safety shoes in the plant” and acknowledged it “was a mess,” she wrote.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ql3e61FmcW1s1ddrj.mp4

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

By modern standards, Victorians were pretty morbid and there was a phase where fear of premature burial was rampant. This isn't the only such invention to capitalize it, though I am not sure there were any actual installations of such devices.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kw0134 posted:

By modern standards, Victorians were pretty morbid and there was a phase where fear of premature burial was rampant. This isn't the only such invention to capitalize it, though I am not sure there were any actual installations of such devices.

there's some more cool ones

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/users-guide-to-definitive-death

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

kw0134 posted:

Insert pithy interpretation of "saved by the bell"...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Baltimore City and County? I thought the city was surrounded by the county but not technically part of it.

E: Ah, it was made an independent city in the Maryland Constitution of 1851 but plan is from 184-smudge it looks like.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

Baltimore City and County? I thought the city was surrounded by the county but not technically part of it.

Only after 1850 or so.