Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its the better one, a true marvel of sakuga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tamba posted:

It's not related to Oreimo, it's by the author of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQCX6tIzC4

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Tamba posted:

Despite the title (and the fakeout at the start of the first episode), it's not actually one of those little sister/incest anime that were popular back then.
It's about a group of friends who work in the light novel industry (3 are writers, the other one wants to be an editor) and a lot of the anime is just them hanging out, playing board games and drinking beer.

e: it is quite horny though, just not horny for any character's sibling

thats because its the shirobako of imouto anime. anyone who is interested in little sister moe on a deeper level needs to see the processes involved and the minds of the writers (they love little sisters)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I remember the first time I saw that dumb video.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
ImoSae is a great show.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Paracelsus posted:

ImoSae is a great show.
So great that I recommended it to a goon and I think that's why they stopped talking to me. :haw:

(But in all truth, it's a fun show for what it is)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-12-07/anime-dallas-president-guest-exposed-to-covid-19-one-week-prior-to-event/.167144

Or, how to make a bad idea worse.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Holy poo poo Cuthroat and his VA in the latest Akudama Drive :stonk:

Also is it just me or have they been blacking out the gore recently?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's something broadcast anime has been doing for awhile to meet broadcast standards

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
yeah, it’s just that the violence hasn’t gone that hard until this episode

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This is a good show

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Christ, even the goddamned furries are smarter than this. STOP HOLDING CONS, YOU DIPSHITS! How loving desperate are these idiots to get their hands on another loving dakimura?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if someone wanted a dakimakura, they would just order it online...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doodles posted:

Christ, even the goddamned furries are smarter than this. STOP HOLDING CONS, YOU DIPSHITS! How loving desperate are these idiots to get their hands on another loving dakimura?

i assure you most cons dont sell good or cheap dakimakuras

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Endorph posted:

i assure you most cons dont sell good or cheap dakimakuras

then there's even less reason to have one right now!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Had this popup in my youtube feed

Also a new trailer for the final Gintama movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H61PB6vMbos

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Had this popup in my youtube feed

It got deleted really fast. It might be BS like the Yonkou Prods thing from earlier in the year?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

The manga is teasing a big announcement tomorrow so it may have just been posted early?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if the big announcement is just "arc 1 over and we're moving to jump+" it would just be too disappointing

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
How does Chainsaw Man compare to Fire Punch? I found FP surprisingly compelling despite it having really rough start (I'm only halfway through so no spoilers pls)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's unquestionably better.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

with CSM not actually done, idk. for a while now it has sunk below FP for me but up until then it was just as good while not indulging in any of the more problematic stuff FP had, so it's definitely more palatable at a base level. i do think CSM is not as cool or clear about conveying its action, but it compensates with insane setpiece spreads.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 9, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Crunchyroll is officially being acquired by sony, putting it under the same umbrella as Funimation.

e: Actually both this statement and Funi's emphasize that this is CR being acquired by Funimation specifically.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/12/09/crunchyroll-and-funimation

quote:

Well, the news is out! Crunchyroll will be acquired by Sony’s Funimation Global Group, pending regulatory approvals and closing. You can find more official information on the press release here.

It’s an exciting time for anime, as two brands you know and love look to unite. Our teams and brands have been dedicated to anime and its fans for decades, and we’ve got all the convention badges to prove it! Today is just the beginning…

"We are excited to embark on this new journey. Crunchyroll has built a world-class brand with a passionate fan-base of over 3M subscribers, 50M social followers and 90M registered users. These amazing fans have helped to propel anime into a global phenomenon,” said Joanne Waage, general manager of Crunchyroll. "Combining the strength of the Crunchyroll brand and the expertise of our global team with Funimation is an exciting prospect and a win for the incredible art form of anime.”

We know you may have questions about the news and we apologize that we can’t answer everything yet. Until the deal closes, Crunchyroll and Funimation will continue to operate independently. Regardless of the big news, we’re still the same Crunchyroll we were yesterday and will continue to bring you more anime!

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 10, 2020

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm hardly surpised, CR's coat looked to be on the shakiest nail in AT&T's portfolio what with it's output consisting of stuff like the public embarassment that is Ex-Arm's trailer and the semingly mothballed High Guardian Spice.

Hell, if not for Rooster Teeth and Gen-Lock, I'da said that was a number 1 with a bullet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm hardly surpised, CR's coat looked to be on the shakiest nail in AT&T's portfolio what with it's output consisting of stuff like the public embarassment that is Ex-Arm's trailer and the semingly mothballed High Guardian Spice.

Hell, if not for Rooster Teeth and Gen-Lock, I'da said that was a number 1 with a bullet.

I never realized Ex-Arms was a Crunchyroll project, loving hell :stare:. Getting bought out by Funimation really is the kindest thing that could've happened to them at this point, given some of their project choices have been pretty egregious (eg; Shield Hero).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Shield Hero was successful enough that they almost immediately confirmed two more seasons, it's absolutely a thing CR did right from a business standpoint and not something I would expect to stop just because they're being formally folded into Sony

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Shield Hero seems to have been a draw for the audience, the higher ups aren't going to be upset over that.

The Ex-Arm fuckup is an actual problem. Though it's not critically bad, it's not much worse than Netflix making Sword Guy or Dragon Dogma, but CR has less to work with than Netflix, much fewer resources to stave off mis-steps.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CR has a lot of valuable licenses with Shield Hero being a good example. Their original content or lack thereof is irrelevant (I don't think anyone was asking for or expecting any).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never realized Ex-Arms was a Crunchyroll project, loving hell :stare:. Getting bought out by Funimation really is the kindest thing that could've happened to them at this point, given some of their project choices have been pretty egregious (eg; Shield Hero).
shield hero is literally one of their biggest success stories and was probably one of the motivating factors for the buyout. it proves that crunchyroll can finance and stream an extremely successful anime on their own. imagine if they brought that into the sony ecosystem. sony-owned property getting an anime adaptation by a sony-owned studio streaming on sony-owned websites.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the big question here is whether sony will still produce western faux-anime. say no to gaijin anime!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I guess as it stands pretty much all anime is aimed purely at a domestic audience and any international success happens essentially by accident - and it's the streamer rather than the original producers who benefit from that success. But with Sony having a complete pipeline (they own stuff like Aniplex and A-1 Pictures in Japan) they can aim for a more global audience.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah tbh the Guardian Spice stuff seemed to me like it was in line with CR's push of VRV at the time, which was mostly Western cartoons and TV

of course the backlash to their marketing killed it and made them wary of pursuing that same avenue so it's mostly a question of whether they'd entirely swear off that stuff or just market differently. the Shield Hero route just seems smarter to me, and Funimation has at least tried the same with something like Dimension W.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I guess as it stands pretty much all anime is aimed purely at a domestic audience
Also not true. Most of the stuff Crunchy's funded has been aimed at a western audience, like Shield Hero and Rent-a-Girlfriend. Not that they did terribly in Japan or anything but Shield Hero especially was chosen because it was popular in the west, not in Japan.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah a lot of the romcom and isekai type stuff does better globally than domestically now is my understanding, crunchyroll's really pushed those genres in recent years and expanded the audience

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The sad thing is that Shield Hero is, arguably, its most competent* work they're on committee for. Like I said the rest is a listing of shame, diaster and mothballs.

*As in well produced, as a story its a disaster.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 10, 2020

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

They're not projects where they were nearly as significant members as on shield hero, but CR's been on stuff like A Place Further Than The Universe, Kemono Friends, and Yuru Camp. In/Spectre is also decently well liked and that's an "original".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

They're not projects where they were nearly as significant members as on shield hero, but CR's been on stuff like A Place Further Than The Universe, Kemono Friends, and Yuru Camp. In/Spectre is also decently well liked and that's an "original".
Citrus, Recovery of an MMO Junkie, and Over The Moon For You, too. Iunno where this narrative that everything they're involved in is a trainwreck came from.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i like how Over the Moon For You is like a jojo localization version of Fly Me to the Moon but as the title of an entire show instead of what a guy says when hes about to summon a toy plane

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

again, here's a mostly complete list of crunchyroll-produced anime, its just missing a few recent things like the webtoons
https://myanimelist.net/anime/producer/1784/Crunchyroll_SC_Anime_Fund

ranges from one of the best anime ever made to a bunch of medium stuff to a few trainwrecks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

i like how Over the Moon For You is like a jojo localization version of Fly Me to the Moon but as the title of an entire show instead of what a guy says when hes about to summon a toy plane

:hmmyes: