Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thundarr posted:

At this point I'm honestly not sure if Fandango is gonna be a main antagonist in 6.0 or if he's gonna get what he wants in 5.55 and that creates the actual primary conflict for the next expansion. He's way weaker than other spooky ghost people that we've decisively beaten, but he's also going all out since he doesn't care if the world is destroyed unlike the other Ascians. Is there really room for two nihilist primary antagonists at once though, even in a Final Fantasy game? If one of them gets chumped before 6.0 it probably isn't gonna be Zenos.

I'm wondering, is there room to pit them against each other? Would Zenos reach a point where he can't abide by Fandaniel trying to blow up the planet? Would Fandaniel ever try to stop Zenos' single-minded fightboner?

Sure, both of them are fairly simple (although I do find Fandaniel compelling), but they could facilitate something we haven't had before: a genuine three-way clash between us and two active threats. Even in Heavensward, we were never fighting both the dragons and Ishgard at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thundarr posted:

At this point I'm honestly not sure if Fandango is gonna be a main antagonist in 6.0 or if he's gonna get what he wants in 5.55 and that creates the actual primary conflict for the next expansion. He's way weaker than other spooky ghost people that we've decisively beaten, but he's also going all out since he doesn't care if the world is destroyed unlike the other Ascians. Is there really room for two nihilist primary antagonists at once though, even in a Final Fantasy game? If one of them gets chumped before 6.0 it probably isn't gonna be Zenos.

This is what I thought will happen. They're setting up either FanDam or Zenos to go out in a blaze of glory and set up the major conflict arc for the next expansion. Zenos has been around and FanDam seems subservient, so I figure he's gonna be the one.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Final Fandantasy XIV

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Wait. Really?

Watching that show is what made me want to play the game.

:(

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
one life to live and your name is fandaniel

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Wait till you meet his twin sister Fandanielle

Edit: Guess who's body she's in

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Wait till you meet his twin sister Fandanielle

Edit: Guess who's body she's in
That would be the only acceptable twist if they insist on keeping the two current dumbasses around, in my book.
:getin:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
5.4 spoilers. I personally think Fandaniel has some kind of other scheme going on. Screaming "I've created a suicidal accelerationists club named Bearers of the End. Please try and stop us." is probably the best way of getting the WoL to come and kick your rear end.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

orcane posted:

That would be the only acceptable twist if they insist on keeping the two current dumbasses around, in my book.
:getin:

Plot twist: Fandaniel IS Yotsuyu! :tinfoil:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The new gathering collectible thing is like a huge star trek panel, it's way too much

also they removed Impulsive Appraisal, but i still have the Trait to augment it into Impulsive Appraisal II

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

I'm wondering, is there room to pit them against each other? Would Zenos reach a point where he can't abide by Fandaniel trying to blow up the planet?

I mean, Zenos already committed patricide and threw his homeland into a civil war because he found out daddy was planning to deploy a chemical weapon that would have deprived him of a rematch with his BFF, do you really think he's going to just passively sit around and let Fanny Boy blow up the world if it would do the same?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

The new gathering collectible thing is like a huge star trek panel, it's way too much

also they removed Impulsive Appraisal, but i still have the Trait to augment it into Impulsive Appraisal II

*bangs out a 1000 collectible for Zhloe on my first try* it's good, actually

I actually do like the new BTN way more than the old way, which felt like a hack on how CRP worked but couldn't quite get there with the entire "it's a plant instead of building something".

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Couple newbie patch questions:

How does gearing up work? My main WHM has a full suit of Aug Crystarium gear and my RDM has full Aug Neo-Ish. But if the tomestone gear AND the crafted gear is at 510, then is there any benefit to one over the other? Do I just try to collect a mix of 510 pieces from tomestones, crafted gear, and Eden? If I buy a full suit of Exarchic for my main (out of the question really, since I've got like 3m gil to my name), then what do I do with the new tomestones? Or do I buy it for my RDM and then slowly get my WHM equipped with the superior(?) raid/tomestone gear? On the last patch, a friendly goon made me a suit of Neo-Ish for WHM, and I left it all un-augmented until I could replace it with Crys gear and hand the Neo-Ish off to RDM when I augmented it. (e: oh, tomestone gear is 520. That's still... argh! It makes no sense to spend millions of gil for crafted gear on a secondary job, and it makes only a little more sense to buy it for my main job and then spend months worth of time-limited tomestones on miniscule upgrades.)

Also, has anyone worked out the best deal with the new collectables system? It seems like you're rewarded for getting 1000 rating -- two 1000 collectables give you more scrip than three <1000 collectables -- but that seems pretty hard without spending a ton of GP. I've only spent an hour or two flying around to time-limited nodes, but I'm popping cordials on cooldown because it seems like I need to spend at least 400GP per node to get a handful of 1000s. The "ideal", as far as I can tell, is to use two 200GP Scrutiny, two Brazen, and then hopefully get it to 1000 with one more action so you can collect 4-7 collectables.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 10, 2020

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

decided last night to switch themes before logging out in order to prank myself today

self prank achieved. my eyes are melted

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The gear will have different substats (crit, direct hit, determination, etc.) which may influence which you find more desirable from an optimization standpoint. If you want to maximize crit, as an example, you'll likely need to mix and match. You can also meld more than 2 materia in the crafted gear (overmelding), which makes it technically better overall than Eden normal, but that can be expensive and risky. If you're not pushing high end content, I wouldn't bother with overmelding.

The tomestone gear now is 520, but will be augmented easily to 530 in the 5.5. Either way it's better, but the decision to prioritize which job gets which will rest on you. I personally bought some 510 crafted for my off-jobs, while my main healers are 500 + eden normal, as I'll be prioritizing tomestone with them. I might add a few crafted pieces as well if I do savage this tier.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

I mean, Zenos already committed patricide and threw his homeland into a civil war because he found out daddy was planning to deploy a chemical weapon that would have deprived him of a rematch with his BFF, do you really think he's going to just passively sit around and let Fanny Boy blow up the world if it would do the same?

More on 5.4: Zenos is definitely just letting Dan do as he pleases on the expectation that the "destroy the world" plan is very likely to draw out the WoL without requiring Zenos to do something boring like personally slaughter an Eorzean city state or two. The very instant he thinks that Dan night try to start the apocalypse before the Great Rematch can occur though, Zenos would end him. And he could do it, too.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ok we have dwarves named Regitt, Zogitt, and Shigitt. but where is the one named Fugitt.

put Fugitt in the game, cowards.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Thundarr posted:

More on 5.4: Zenos is definitely just letting Dan do as he pleases on the expectation that the "destroy the world" plan is very likely to draw out the WoL without requiring Zenos to do something boring like personally slaughter an Eorzean city state or two. The very instant he thinks that Dan night try to start the apocalypse before the Great Rematch can occur though, Zenos would end him. And he could do it, too.

It's funny because I'm pretty sure I would spar with him for free if he just asked.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kerrzhe posted:

decided last night to switch themes before logging out in order to prank myself today

self prank achieved. my eyes are melted

Haha :eyepop:

I was planning to do this but keep forgetting until after I already logged out.

orcane fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 10, 2020

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

So far it seems like Fandaniel's dream scenario is to have his last moments hanging by the the end of Zenos' sword, presumably shishkebabbed alongside the WoL, as the ashes of the rest of the world simmer around them all. He may want to die but he also wants to be among the last alive. Top three ain't bad.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Ascians 5.4

I believe six main Ascians are left. Will any of the others be a part of Fandaniel's club?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Thundarr posted:

What I'm most curious about is Lunar Bahamut and what reason the Unsundered could have had in not using such creatures. Yeah, it could be something as minor as "this is Fandaniel's personally created dragon friend" or as major as "lunar creatures are from the moon and use Zodiark as a battery, Elidibus says please don't use them." They seem pretty autonomous too so I would think that having things like that around to at least slow the WoL down a lot would be pretty useful.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ither posted:

Ascians 5.4

I believe six main Ascians are left. Will any of the others be a part of Fandaniel's club?

I'm guessing no. They may have plans of their own now but I suspect most or all of them would prefer that Dan's Big Plan doesn't pan out and are probably just cowering in a hole and waiting for the terrifying god-killers to go away.

Surviving Ascians would be Fandaniel, Deudalophon, Pashtarot, Halmarut, and ???. Loghrif is technically alive still but, uh, I don't think she's going to be causing us the sort of trouble we expect from Ascians at this point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fugittabouditt

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Surviving Ascians would be Fandaniel, Deudalophon, Pashtarot, Halmarut, and ???. Loghrif is technically alive still but, uh, I don't think she's going to be causing us the sort of trouble we expect from Ascians at this point.

Altima is still MIA

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Thundarr posted:

I'm guessing no. They may have plans of their own now but I suspect most or all of them would prefer that Dan's Big Plan doesn't pan out and are probably just cowering in a hole and waiting for the terrifying god-killers to go away.

Altima was in the post-Ultima Weapon cutscene with the rest of the Ascians gathering and had a line, but hasn't been seen in the story since.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Sir Not-Appearing-In-This-Convocation

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Phenotype posted:

Also, has anyone worked out the best deal with the new collectables system? It seems like you're rewarded for getting 1000 rating -- two 1000 collectables give you more scrip than three <1000 collectables -- but that seems pretty hard without spending a ton of GP. I've only spent an hour or two flying around to time-limited nodes, but I'm popping cordials on cooldown because it seems like I need to spend at least 400GP per node to get a handful of 1000s. The "ideal", as far as I can tell, is to use two 200GP Scrutiny, two Brazen, and then hopefully get it to 1000 with one more action so you can collect 4-7 collectables.

Lots of GP usage is kinda expected with serious gathering, I chug a lot of high-cordials while gathering.
That said, there's a ton of randomness with new collectibles, a lot of which works off your gathering/perception. I actually like doing Scrutiny - Meticulous - Scrutiny - Meticulous - finish with Meticulous or Scour. Every Meticulous has a chance of not eating a gathering opportunity, and if you get real lucky with "crits" you might finish with just the first two meticulouses. With a regular 6 hit node, that's a range of 3-6 per node, probably hovering around 4-5.
Brazen is strong, but I prefer the ability to adjust with meticulous, where if you whiff a Brazen its hard to recover.
If you have GP, you may also want to throw in a Solid Reason/Ageless Wisdom for an extra hit.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hogama posted:

Altima was in the post-Ultima Weapon cutscene with the rest of the Ascians gathering and had a line, but hasn't been seen in the story since.

Oh yeah that's right. Haven't watched that cutscene in years!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Ither posted:

Ascians 5.4

Fandaniel's Fandan Club

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Thundarr posted:

If we want to get into the nitty gritty, there are a couple Ascians from 1.0 who are still unaccounted for. Somebody was Travanchet and I think they abandoned the idea of there being lower-ranked Asicans than the Thirteen, so Masked Mage should probably be someone too.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

If we want to get into the nitty gritty, there are a couple Ascians from 1.0 who are still unaccounted for. Somebody was Travanchet and I think they abandoned the idea of there being lower-ranked Asicans than the Thirteen, so Masked Mage should probably be someone too.

HW SMN story confirmed that lower ranked Ascians below the Convocation are still a thing, but I don't think they come up anywhere else

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Waffleman_ posted:

They still have plenty of non convocation ascians. The chumps you beat in the summoner questlines, the ones killed by Gaius, the ones stirring up the adventurers on the first, etc. It's just the rank and file grunts are so below the WoL, the npcs deal with them instead of us.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, there are loads of lower-ranked Ascians running around that aren't named or accounted for. In Shadowbringers, Elidibus brings a bunch of them in to go around and cause generic JRPG villain trouble when he's trying to inspire people to become heroes. The Scions go take care of it off-screen while you're helping with the soul vessel stuff.

As far as I can tell, there were the three Unsundered, and then everyone else, of which there are just A Lot.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Will I reread the past few pages when I catch up on story content and can click spoilers?
:thunk: hhhmmmm

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I swapped to DRG this tier...

https://clips.twitch.tv/SincereRudeMooseUWot

Performing as expected!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

So far it seems like Fandaniel's dream scenario is to have his last moments hanging by the the end of Zenos' sword, presumably shishkebabbed alongside the WoL, as the ashes of the rest of the world simmer around them all. He may want to die but he also wants to be among the last alive. Top three ain't bad.

He laid his 'death wish' on so thick this patch I'm kinda wondering if it's a scam, pretending to be Zenos's servant because he just wants to do out doing some cool poo poo when he's shooting for something else entirely. Just seems a bit early in the day to just lay out his entire deal on the table like that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vargatron posted:

I swapped to DRG this tier...

https://clips.twitch.tv/SincereRudeMooseUWot

Performing as expected!

never had this happen to me. have you toggled off the setting that makes you automatically face a target when using an ability?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Personally, I think that (MSQ 5.4) we're going to deal with Zenos and Fandaniel in 5.5, and move on to something else in 6.0. The threat of the towers is too imminent and serious to leave off solving until the next expansion. There's still other Imperial Legions that are out there in the world with their own evil plans, like those guys down in Dalmasca from the Stormblood alliance raids.

It's just hard for me to see how we don't just say "okay let's go kill Zenos again" now that the WoL is back on the Source. Maybe Fantastic Daniel runs away to the moon and we have to follow him in the next expansion, but I don't think this tower thing is the lead-up to 6.0, just the end of the 5.x patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
5.5 will reveal that Tataru is not actually Tataru, but her sister we've never heard about before.