Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

idk, a lot of the positivity is just standard hypetrain glow.

I dunno I like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

idk, a lot of the positivity is just standard hypetrain glow. I think right now the big outcry is mostly about performance and bugs, but it will take some time for people to get in deep enough to see the more meaningful faults with the game systems. NPCs basically just being background filler and the lack of things to do in this world seem like prime candidates for future criticism.

I was hoping for a little bit more Yakuza in the genes but so far it's mostly nuDeusEx-lite. I'm a big email reader in games and so far Deus Ex and Prey got it beat.

It's broken as gently caress but i'm enjoying it. Like as a binary choice I'd say 'It's good'. It doesn't feel like a game that should haven taken this long to make. It is not the lifetime event that people wanted it to be. But it's a pretty cool but janky rpg.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Barudak posted:

Alright Remedy, fine, Quantum Break was just a horrendous mistep and a terrible game and is sandwiched between other games I love so I guess Ill buy your next one as long as 505 isn't publishing

Epic is publishing the next two Remedy games. :mrwhite:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Remedy, and yet the gameplay is poison

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When I do get around to playing Cyberpunk one day my highest hope is that it'll be basically a cyberpunk genre New Vegas, or somewhere close to that. I just want cool reactivity in quests, really.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Simone Magus posted:

The combat is pretty good actually. The writing and immersion are pretty great but it's basically GTA: New Vegas

It's not Witcher: Vice City

I can dig this

Like if the "run around the quasi-open-world city" parts of Deus EX:HR were more in depth or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

It entered the culture war the second people pointed out the labor issues.

It swung back and forth in the culture war for a while there. First there was a wave of "CDPR goes FULL SJW!!!" stuff when they revealed you could set your character's genitals separately from their gender and that there would be transgender characters. But then the culture war crowd switched sides as soon as the labor issues came up again, dug in further as people pointed out the problematic race and gender stuff that appears to be in the game, and are now stuck pretending bugs and epilepsy triggers are actually good and you're an SJW baby if you care about them.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can dig this

Like if the "run around the quasi-open-world city" parts of Deus EX:HR were more in depth or something.

Yeah that's basically what it is. Deus Ex 2077.

It is pretty funny that the in-combat type hacking really is worse than it is in Watch Dogs 2 or Legion. The way hacking works is not nearly as fun or immediately satisfying as in Watch Dogs, you have fewer meaningful options, and it's less coherent with the AI.

that's an lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Harrow posted:

It swung back and forth in the culture war for a while there. First there was a wave of "CDPR goes FULL SJW!!!" stuff when they revealed you could set your character's genitals separately from their gender and that there would be transgender characters. But then the culture war crowd switched sides as soon as the labor issues came up again, dug in further as people pointed out the problematic race and gender stuff that appears to be in the game, and are now stuck pretending bugs and epilepsy triggers are actually good and you're an SJW baby if you care about them.

They're also claiming that it's unreasonable to expect a Modern AAA Game like CP2077 to run on weak 2013 consoles despite the fact that

1. The game has been in development since before the PS4 came out
2. There have been multiple technically impressive AAA games on current gen hardware this year
3. We're a month into the generation, there's no way people are using the new hardware yet in such a fashion as to be literally unplayable on current gen
4. The game was supposed to come out in February, months before the PS5 was even shown off, let alone out
5. They released a current gen version anyway

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cyberpunk will be the new bioshock infinite in terms of tanking opinions after the afterglow

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The 7th Guest posted:

cyberpunk will be the new bioshock infinite in terms of tanking opinions after the afterglow
Oh Lord no it needs to get patched before we can conclude that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

They're also claiming that it's unreasonable to expect a Modern AAA Game like CP2077 to run on weak 2013 consoles despite the fact that

1. The game has been in development since before the PS4 came out
2. There have been multiple technically impressive AAA games on current gen hardware this year
3. We're a month into the generation, there's no way people are using the new hardware yet in such a fashion as to be literally unplayable on current gen
4. The game was supposed to come out in February, months before the PS5 was even shown off, let alone out
5. They released a current gen version anyway

Seriously, if you're going to release a game on a console, you need to make sure it runs acceptably on that console. If not, you're just knowingly selling people an inferior product.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

The 7th Guest posted:

All the people who are playing it and enjoying it will forget about it and move on and all the people that hate it won't shut up about it for the next 7 years?

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

The “anime with sword” era has ended... welcome to “man with gun”

We're proud to break the news that Christopher Stone from Freedom Fighters will be joining the smash roster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

All the people who are playing it and enjoying it will forget about it and move on and all the people that hate it won't shut up about it for the next 7 years?

I dunno, Bioshock Infinite was a game that I enjoyed on my first playthrough and then rapidly soured on afterwards.

If I'm comparing a game's reception to Bioshock Infinite, it's less "normal people like it and move on but irrational haters won't shut up about it" and more "people like it initially but after the shine wears off their opinion of it diminishes rapidly."

I have absolutely no idea if Cyberpunk 2077 will be like that, though. It could also be a New Vegas type scenario, where it's a diamond in the rough--it releases in a very bad state, but after getting fixed it really shines. I haven't played Cyberpunk so I have no idea if it's actually good or not :shrug:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Seriously, if you're going to release a game on a console, you need to make sure it runs acceptably on that console. If not, you're just knowingly selling people an inferior product.

I have been playing for 8 hours on PS4 slim and I consider it to be running acceptably. I am tremendously enjoying it. It is a good game so far.

Watching this intense backlash in real time is great. I'm glad I wasn't really hyped for the game because the hype seems to have poisoned everybody.

Now someone's gonna say the hype has poisoned my brain and tricked me into enjoying it. Well, that's like, your opinion, man. I haven't skipped sleep because I'm enjoying a game in a very long time though. :shrug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

I have been playing for 8 hours on PS4 slim and I consider it to be running acceptably. I am tremendously enjoying it. It is a good game so far.

Different people definitely have different levels of tolerance for low frame rates, resolution dips, and things like that, so if you're enjoying it, more power to you. I think generally if a game can't maintain 30 FPS, that's a significant issue. It's not necessarily gamebreaking, but I think it's a problem that needs correcting. But I'm sure you're not alone in not really being bothered by it and/or being able to look past it.

Honestly I wish I could stop caring about framerates because it's making it hard for me to fully enjoy one of my favorite games ever right now (Bloodborne). After playing a bunch of Demon's Souls remake and Dark Souls 3 in 60 FPS, Bloodborne's very stuttery 30 really stands out to me in a way I never noticed before. It's bumming me out.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Different people definitely have different levels of tolerance for low frame rates, resolution dips, and things like that, so if you're enjoying it, more power to you. I think generally if a game can't maintain 30 FPS, that's a significant issue.

It is definitely an issue and it should have been possible to make this game better - it could have aimed for looking "only" as good as something like Watch Dogs 2 in service of running smoothly. It's kind of stupid that they tried to make it look as good as RDR2 or Death Stranding without any consideration for the limitations those games have that allow them to look so good.

Like, what's impressive is the design of the city. It didn't need to try and look this good. It's Kamurocho. They didn't need to aim this high.

But also I'm already just getting tired of people who haven't played the PS4 version speaking for me. Like, okay, I'm actually playing it...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
BioShock Infinite was a boring turd polished to an immaculate gleaming sheen via production values

It's also sad that a lot of the original concepts got kinda sanded down or shaved off because they were too difficult to realize or something

Also I didn't like the "I guess both Capitalism and Communism are bad huh" story

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Simone Magus posted:

Now someone's gonna say the hype has poisoned my brain and tricked me into enjoying it. Well, that's like, your opinion, man. I haven't skipped sleep because I'm enjoying a game in a very long time though. :shrug:

Please do not skip sleep to play videogames, sleep is very important

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's broken as gently caress but i'm enjoying it. Like as a binary choice I'd say 'It's good'. It doesn't feel like a game that should haven taken this long to make. It is not the lifetime event that people wanted it to be. But it's a pretty cool but janky rpg.

I'd say it was good too. Fallout 4 was the worst game I've ever beaten and it was poo poo from the earliest moments, and personally experienced few bugs I remember. What I meant more was that as time goes on, the glow from finally getting to play and the excitement of jumping headfirst into a new world will wear off and then folks will be more in a position to assess it's systems and narrative better. So far I can't really say much about how good or bad the systems or story are. Driving sucks, but everything else that feels off might feel different as I progress. Storywise, as Nomad, so far it's "left my clan for some reasons and became a night city dweller and had some adventures and made friends." [spoiler]I've got the first crumbs of the brain disease gingivitis plotline but have been doing side gigs and running around a pretty but seemingly hollow world so far.[spoiler]

I do enjoy the combat so far, punching people out feels good and is really effective so far. Could definitely use a few more basic attack moves but whatever if flailing around with light combos keeps working I'll keep doing it. Wanna find me some gorilla arms though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Khanstant posted:

I'd say it was good too. Fallout 4 was the worst game I've ever beaten

This is not the first time I've read this statement and its a shame, I adored Fallout 3 and New Vegas but I just can't bring myself to play past the first few hours of Fallout 4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fallout 4 was great though, and I enjoyed building and turning a post-apocalyptic society to the singular purpose of making me a slightly less lovely laser sight for my laser rifle.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
my goty runs at 20 fps

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This is not the first time I've read this statement and its a shame, I adored Fallout 3 and New Vegas but I just can't bring myself to play past the first few hours of Fallout 4

:same:

Even for free I didn't give a poo poo about FO4. I think I met a sassy reporter and maybe a robot dude? And some civil war cosplayers? Then I turned it off.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Grapplejack posted:

I don't think it'll be jonesy because they can't do the building mechanics

Did you see what they did for Minecraft? I don’t believe there’s anything the Smash team can’t do

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Simone Magus posted:

:same:

Even for free I didn't give a poo poo about FO4. I think I met a sassy reporter and maybe a robot dude? And some civil war cosplayers? Then I turned it off.

yeah theres nothing that was specifically that bad about it and for I really enjoyed the opening sequence despite how forced and silly it was, maybe I'll get back to it in the christmas break

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

cheetah7071 posted:

my goty runs at 20 fps

OoT again eh

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The 7th Guest posted:

cool informed opinion you got there

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

Also I didn't like the "I guess both Capitalism and Communism are bad huh" story

Yeah this was the point at which I started to really dislike the game. It went all, "What if fighting back against the wealthy racists who abuse and exploit you makes you just as bad as they are???" and, whew, that's a hell of a swing to take

I finished the game anyway and still had an overall "I guess that was pretty cool" opinion, and then after about a week I looked back and was like, wait, why did I even finish that? It kinda sucked.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Fallout 4 was great though, and I enjoyed building and turning a post-apocalyptic society to the singular purpose of making me a slightly less lovely laser sight for my laser rifle.

To Fallout 4's credit, despite the horrible skill system, going hardcore into Luck was actually satisfying. Not a lot of games let you mainstat Luck and I never met an enemy in the game I couldn't critical one-shot kill from VATS. Critting with the nuke on some treasure-boss was one of the few joys that kept me using FO4 as a podcast-catchup program for so long.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think evaluating games based on what you personally imagine goons will say about them months from now is kinda pathetic, especially when you could just... discuss the text of the game itself. No I will not review my own post history on this matter.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fallout 4 really improved the moment-to-moment feel of the 3D Fallout gameplay (shooting is actually fun!) but the rest of it is... ehhh. The story and quests don't hold a candle to New Vegas, and the exploration seems great until you do enough of it and it turns out that everything you find is just another place to shoot people and/or mutant animals, pick up some (admittedly useful) junk, and read a few emails on a terminal.

I will freely accept here that I am a huge hypocrite because exploring in Breath of the Wild is really engaging to me even though the only things you ever find there are enemy camps or shrines so :v: (actually I can probably explain this with the visual design of the world and how Link's freedom of movement makes the act of running around and exploring fun in and of itself but that sounds like too much work so I'll just accept that my opinions are inconsistent and move on)

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the best thing fallout 4 did was make power armor a mech instead of plate mail, but it's not fun enough overall to make it really matter imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm incredibly glad i started keeping a list of games I've finished because there's absolutely no way i would've realized otherwise that i did in fact play a bunch of mega man battle network earlier in this forever year

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there aren't even any big-name releases with concrete launch dates left after cyberpunk, right

covid has cast a fog over everything

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cyberpunk sometimes has diagetically bad textures.

It's really something, lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Oxxidation posted:

there aren't even any big-name releases with concrete launch dates left after cyberpunk, right

covid has cast a fog over everything

Uh, Atelier Ryza 2. God how could you forget the biggest upcoming release?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fallout 4 is bad

Now Heavily Modded Fallout 4? :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Cyberpunk sometimes has diagetically bad textures.

It's really something, lol

What does this mean please? I am dumb