Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Winter event starts today, IIRC, so get started on your t6 kar'fi goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well, they nerfed the Ba'ul AP build I was working towards. I assume I can still run it and be fine, or do I reclaim my spiral wave disruptors and start switching?
It's still a good type, just not "undisputed best".

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Legendary Excelsior

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/k9jpk4/legendary_excelsior_confirmed/

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

It's still a good type, just not "undisputed best".
What's more annoying is that BFAW is still one of the worst builds in the game. Ba'ul BFAW didn't top the leaderboards, but at least it could keep up.

Of course, you can still easily do all the content in the game with a BFAW boat. It'll just be very slightly slower than using a good BO/CSV/sci-torp/kinetic torp build.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

g0del posted:

What's more annoying is that BFAW is still one of the worst builds in the game. Ba'ul BFAW didn't top the leaderboards, but at least it could keep up.

Of course, you can still easily do all the content in the game with a BFAW boat. It'll just be very slightly slower than using a good BO/CSV/sci-torp/kinetic torp build.

Do those require even the most basic of thinking?

Checkmate Atheists

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

MisterOblivious posted:

Do those require even the most basic of thinking?

Checkmate Atheists
BO and CSV builds require you to point the front of your ship at the enemies. Due to some trait 'fixes' kinetic torp requires careful watching and timing of boff abilities to maximize DPS, but still does plenty of damage if you just spacebar macro them all. Sci builds usually need some of the sci powers to be activated manually.

When it comes to pure brainless play, nothing really beats a BFAW build with some decent heals/healing traits.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

g0del posted:

When it comes to pure brainless play, nothing really beats a BFAW build with some decent heals/healing traits.

BO on a carrier, because you can get even lazier and not bother to activate your powers and let your frigates or whatever slowly chip away at the target while you casually enjoy your drink & whatever else you are doing that isn't game related. Plus they'll auto launch replacements now.

I mean if they're going to time gate things anyway why not take the slow and lazy approach?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

DancingShade posted:

BO on a carrier, because you can get even lazier and not bother to activate your powers and let your frigates or whatever slowly chip away at the target while you casually enjoy your drink & whatever else you are doing that isn't game related. Plus they'll auto launch replacements now.

I mean if they're going to time gate things anyway why not take the slow and lazy approach?

This is the right take. Every stf is just "swat this infinite trash cloud while a timer ticks down" now and faw+pets is the best way to cope

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

YEAR. OF. KLINGON.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cythereal posted:

YEAR. OF. KLINGON.

This never fails to make me laugh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Actually, that reminds me. I need to log into my stable of Fed alts to pick up the kar'fi for admiralty now. :v:

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Mondian posted:

This is the right take. Every stf is just "swat this infinite trash cloud while a timer ticks down" now and faw+pets is the best way to cope

Yeah, torps, cannons, and sci abilities are all fun for parsing or making clusters of enemies explode. When most stfs have enemies warping in small amounts from many directions they get annoying to aim.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Someone complaining on reddit about the Winter PvP Race was nice enough to make this list of stuff that gives +Run speed:
code:
    Burnham's CQC Armor/Envirosuit: +15% Run Speed
    Hostile Environment Shield: +20% Run Speed while shields are full (they will never be not full when doing the PvP race)
    [Run] weapon: +15% Run Speed
    Command Spec primary or secondary: +5% Run Speed
    Maquis Guile Ground Trait: +10% Run Speed
    Coalition Squad Tactics (Tac only): +3% Run Speed
    Close Quarters Combatant Ground Rep Trait (Rank II): +3.8% Run Speed
    Physical Conditioning Ground Rep Trait (Rank II): +6.3% Run Speed
    Ketracel White buff (Jem'hadar Only) +25% Run Speed
    Research Lab Combat Boost (Rank III) +10% Run Speed
    Sprint Speed Rank 15 Endeavor Boost: +15% Run Speed
    Terran Fortune Tribble +5% Run Speed However the Winter Tribble dramatically increases acceleration.
    Winter Tribble: Greatly increases acceleration on ice
    Frosted Boots: +7% Run Speed but greatly reduces acceleration and traction.

So a Jem'Hadar Tac with properly equipped rep stuff/traits/boosts is the ultimate marathon runner apparently.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 9, 2020

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

just say it on reddit and you have at least one jumping at you to point out that "well akshually" they never really said it was going to be anything more than a revamp of some poo poo you forget about the next day

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Teron D Amun posted:

just say it on reddit and you have at least one jumping at you to point out that "well akshually" they never really said it was going to be anything more than a revamp of some poo poo you forget about the next day

I'm not going to post on reddit. I already play STO. My life is sad enough as it is.

faxmachine
Apr 1, 2007

Oh yeah....

Kinda reminds me of the Excelsior refit from the Kobayahi Maru mod for Bridge Commander. Man I miss that mod.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There doesn't seem to be a good way to farm ornaments like lolnuts.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Run the duty officer missions in the zone on all your alts. Not instant satisfaction but you'll get plenty before it's over.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Is there anything juicy to get this year with the ornaments?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

Run the duty officer missions in the zone on all your alts. Not instant satisfaction but you'll get plenty before it's over.

The event missions are also available in faction hubs so you can run them on contra alts

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There doesn't seem to be a good way to farm ornaments like lolnuts.

On the contrary, the winter doff assignments make ornaments a much lazier farm than lolnuts. Plus the winter store items are much cheaper than summer stuff, so you just don't need as many.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

YEAR. OF. KLINGON.

(actual official quote)

I thought I'd put as much effort in as they did.

https://imgur.com/DOhlXHD
Unmodified version if anyone wants.
Just realised due to the age of that picture some people might not even get the reference these days.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 10, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm playing through Q's Winter Wonderland for the first time, and it's absolutely fantastic. I love the little human, Andorian, and Klingon gingerbread men and women, some of which have their arms bitten off. It reminds me of the Shockwave games in bad 3D in the 2000s. It's incredible that they kept adding missions onto this over 2013-2017, and now it's the biggest and best seasonal event of any MMO I've ever played.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
It really is amazing, how good and meaty some of the STO content is, when you compare it to how bad some of the systems are. The TFOs and events are frequently timegated grind, but the story missions are legit good, if a little on the violent side for the Star Trek ethos.

That's the real frustration of STO: the highs are pretty high, but the lows are just so penny-pinchingly low and so much more present than the highs.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Tunicate posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/wiki/macros

you bind it using the ingame system to put everything into spacebar ...

Thank you for this. I don't see a ui_settings.txt file in my Live directory that lists the syntax for each bindable key, though. Has the list been moved to a different file, or is there a list somewhere online? I don't really need it, because I binded my boff powers, AoE buffs, and AoE debuffs to the B key anyway, but I'm curious about the keys which may not be as obvious.

edit: nevermind, found it https://sto.gamepedia.com/Guide:_Keybinds#Special_Keys_.26_Names

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 10, 2020

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
More pics of the leaked excelsior thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/kaf12z/upcoming_ship_variant/

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gotta admit I’ll probably get it. I’m sitting on enough dil that unless it’s like 20k z it should be doable.

After that I’ll be one away from a T6 of every enterprise. T6 Ambassador when?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
anyone else having an issue on Asylum DOFF missions where the reward officer doesnt go to your roster or your overflow bag?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gotta admit I’ll probably get it. I’m sitting on enough dil that unless it’s like 20k z it should be doable.

2018. It's in the cosmetic parts for this and yes it has all the ambassador bits in the ship customiser. https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10998903-support-cruisers-stats%21

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

DancingShade posted:

2018. It's in the cosmetic parts for this and yes it has all the ambassador bits in the ship customiser. https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10998903-support-cruisers-stats%21

Oh sweet, something to actually get the next time I have a free T6 token from an event.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh sweet, something to actually get the next time I have a free T6 token from an event.

Do not. In terms of seating it’s one of the worst ships in the game. And it doesn’t even have a pilot seat to do the whole ‘fly her apart’ ability named after a thing Sulu said in one of the movies.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Coq au Nandos posted:

Do not. In terms of seating it’s one of the worst ships in the game. And it doesn’t even have a pilot seat to do the whole ‘fly her apart’ ability named after a thing Sulu said in one of the movies.

Meh. I’ve got all the other actually good ships I’d want.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Luckily the T6 vor'cha that launched alongside it was literally the last good Klingon-specific ship released pretty decent instead. :toot:

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Coq au Nandos posted:

Counterargument: it does give you the History Will Remember starship trait if that's your thing.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

That's the T6 Ambassador/Vor'cha. The T6 Excelsior gets you the Improved Weaponized Emitters trait, which is only useful for one engineering ability and one command ability.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Cyrano4747 posted:

DancingShade posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Coq au Nandos posted:

Lorak posted:

Counterargument: it does give you the History Will Remember starship trait if that's your thing.

Marshal Radisic posted:

That's the T6 Ambassador/Vor'cha. The T6 Excelsior gets you the Improved Weaponized Emitters trait, which is only useful for one engineering ability and one command ability.

If I'm following the thread that branched off correctly, yes, we have been talking about the T6 Ambassador, in light of the T6 Legendary Excelsior coming out.
EDIT: Ah, I see where Coq was saying to not get "it", and I thought the it being referred to was the ship from the post being replied to, not the Excelsior (Sulu's ship).

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

isnt the Narendra the T6 Ambassador? it also has a meta trait in History Will Remember

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

wow, game seems super laggy. i lost the race like 4 times now just teleporting around the map

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

but the story missions are legit good, if a little on the violent side for the Star Trek ethos.

Measure of Morality was the best, where they go back through your actions with a fine toothed comb, revealing that Good is Dumb and results in the violent deaths of countless billions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mondian posted:

Measure of Morality was the best, where they go back through your actions with a fine toothed comb, revealing that Good is Dumb and results in the violent deaths of countless billions.

And that was the last anniversary episode. They usually put their best work into those, and we get the next anniversary in about a month and a half.