Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That scene isn't even that good and Martin Sheen is the best Uncle Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm working on a theory. How many sitcom boxsets do you own, Lurdiak?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Spider-Man 2 is boring, overly melodramatics trash. The only good scene is the evil dead tentacles scene. Molina is good but I hate Ock in those movies. I hate the "he's not really evil it's the tentacles" poo poo. I hate his redemption. I hate Raimis hard on for killing every villain. I hate his obsession with Silver age camp. I hate Toby as an actor and especially as Spider-Man. Everyone says he's "emo Peter" in 3 cause of the hair but literally all he does in all three of these movies is stand around and cry.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Just keep digging that hole.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Like, I agree with your points Lurdiak but I got to say Spiderverse is the best Spiderman movie ever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Madkal posted:

Like, I agree with your points Lurdiak but I got to say Spiderverse is the best Spiderman movie ever.
Yes that is also my pick

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
All I know is I tried watching the raimi movies last year and 1 and 2 were bad enough I didn't even bother to subject myself to 3. 2 has the train scene and that's about it the rest is nostalgia

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Verse is the best, I hope they make 60 sequels.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Verse is the best, I hope they make 60 sequels.

And Spider-Man Noir spinoffs, both animated and live action with Cage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

All I know is I tried watching the raimi movies last year and 1 and 2 were bad enough I didn't even bother to subject myself to 3. 2 has the train scene and that's about it the rest is nostalgia
You skipped the best one

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't even gotten to my coffee yet please don't troll me like this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

I haven't even gotten to my coffee yet please don't troll me like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AITqA6OC9aA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

My b it genuinely slipped my mind. I keep wanting to watch it then I don't. I've heard nothing but praise for it. Just amend everything I said with "for live action"

3 is a mess of a film overall but it does have some of the best scenes in the trilogy. It's a complicated piece of art.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Raimi's first two Spider-Man films are so loving good that it's ridiculous. Every single Spider-Man film, with the exception of Spider-Verse, absolutely looks embarrassing in comparison. The MCU films are enjoyable within their own terms, but they have a very tenuous grasp of the core philosophies that power the character and make him emotionally resonant, they are so intent on being light and fluffy that utterly jettison any depth and complexity and yes, I think it's bad how they remove any working class aspect to the character and valorise a man, who let's be honest, kills casually and cavalierly, which would go against every single moral and idea the character of Spider-Man is meant to represent.

The Raimi films pretty much nailed how to make the character move and appear in a cinematic space better than any other film. There is nothing, nothing, in the MCU films that even comes close to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFyRe0fnI8s in terms of depicting those powers in screen, because Raimi understood that to make those sequences breathtaking you actually have to swing with Spider-Man. Check out the moment at 01:00, it's incredible, and they did it by literally getting a camera and putting it on a wire and swinging it down the city streets.

And contrast it with this scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is4ZtB0U7Vo which feels so weightless and formless in comparison, starved of the same imagination, wit and spectacle. The closest thing to capturing that same feeling is the shot at 01:40. But even that comes of as very synthetic, with no real sense of speed or tension.

Raimi's films understood that the core of the character is guilt and responsibility, that the webs and the powers were cool and needed to be nailed properly, but the most important part was that the character imbued the ever present truth that doing the right thing is difficult, but always worth doing, and that there are more important things than you're own happiness. The MCU films think that's too much of a downer, Spider-Man doesn't seem to have any feelings of guilt at all, Uncle Ben may as well not have existed (and no, Tony Stark is an awful replacement, Peter was not responsible for his death, and Stark's death could not have been avoided), and any actual emotional content is sheared away. When Aunt May find out Peter was Spider-Man, Homecoming set up that she would be distraught, that it would be a source of tension. Far from Home rolls around, and no, she doesn't give a poo poo, because having an intense or emotional scene would undermine the fun. Tony Stark gifts Spider-Man a lethal drone technology, maybe that will be a source of tension, maybe Peter will have to realize that his "hero" had some serious negative aspects, no they wave it away in a gag, and it just becomes a story about how that technology "shouldn't be in the wrong hands", instead of "that technology shouldn't exists at all". They've made a miscalculation with those films, they think that to include the actually interesting aspects of Spider-Man would stop the films being fun to watch, but Spiderverse is maybe the most fun film on earth and it manages to actually include proper solid emotional content and themes so I don't buy it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Spider-Man 2 has the scene where MJ excoriates Peter for missing her play and he doesn't bother saying "well my scooter got hit by a speeding car full of gangsters. I spent most of the night dragging the parts of my only means of transportation home. I survived though so that's nice" choosing instead to look at his shoes and experience constipated pain.

"PS Also what the gently caress is up with your doorman? If you would have okay with me showing up bleeding and halfway through, well guess what I also tried that."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The divide is from people obsessed with a 40 year out of date Spider-Man. 60 by the time of the MCU.

The same people who like to criticize writers like Geoff Johns for the same thing (before all that other stuff that's a great reason to hate him anyway.)

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1337080003364872197

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Cool, now give her something to do.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I forgot she was even in the first one

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Can they reveal her real first name is Clea?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Can they reveal her real first name is Clea?

I hope not. I want her and strange to just be buddies not love interests.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ugh, why. Not McAdams' fault, but possibly the least interesting, most underwritten love interest in the MCU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Didn't they learn from Thor that halfassed ordinary love interest isn't necessary to or possibly even hinders their more fantastical stories?

If he absolutely needs a love interest and it for some reason can't be Wong (God forbid) then they need to introduce Clea, Dead Girl, or Morgan Le Fay or something, whatever, just someone that belongs in his world. Prop girlfriends who's purpose is to anchor the hero in the real world is so last week.

That being said, since she's already in it hopefully she doesn't get the same treatment she got in Sherlock Holmes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's a great actress and she probably wants a shot at what Portman is getting. The MCU is the place to be.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hate Raimis hard on for killing every villain.

*looks at like 90% of superhero films ever*

Yeeeah. That Raimi sure does have a hard-on for killing every villain, yeah...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vandar posted:

*looks at like 90% of superhero films ever*

Yeeeah. That Raimi sure does have a hard-on for killing every villain, yeah...

Where did I say it was JUST him who has that particular boner, friend?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He didn't kill Sandman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly forgot she was in Dr. Strange

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I thought McAdams was perfectly fine in Strange and served a purpose to ground and humanize Strange in the first act and establish his character and dilemma. Shame that like... she had no use at all for the rest of the film except for a scene where he gets stabbed basically just to remind us she's in the film. If there wasn't a romantic element I doubt anyone would care.

Yeah, its a bit of a problematic formula of women being used as character props. But Phase 4 seems pretty heavy in female roles so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they have SOME reason to bring McAdams back and make her relevant to the story. Maybe not.
We'll see.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 10, 2020

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Phylodox posted:

He didn't kill Sandman.

2/3 for that movie ain't bad.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Killing villains isn't really a problem unless you're planning to use them again, which I don't think they were. Maybe Venom I guess as he was only in it for a short while, but it wouldn't have been hard to bring him back from the dead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Karloff posted:

Killing villains isn't really a problem unless you're planning to use them again, which I don't think they were. Maybe Venom I guess as he was only in it for a short while, but it wouldn't have been hard to bring him back from the dead.

I hate it because it's cliche and lazy.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Endless Mike posted:

I honestly forgot she was in Dr. Strange
Same

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vince MechMahon posted:

I hate it because it's cliche and lazy.

By what metric? Comic books are notorious for having their villains escape and come back time and again. At the point the Spider-Man movies came out, comic book properties being adapted into films was still comparatively rare. Lex Luthor survived all of his Superman appearances. Catwoman survived Batman Returns. Magneto and Mystique survived. Are you talking about action movies in general?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phylodox posted:

He didn't kill Sandman.

Spider-Man kills Sandman. It just doesn't take.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spider-Man and Superman are probably the two heroes where having the villains die is a valid complaint, besides Osborn since that was A Thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No, Ben Grimm is the Thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Spider-Man and Superman are probably the two heroes where having the villains die is a valid complaint, besides Osborn since that was A Thing

The deaths in 1 and 2 serve important narrative purposes besides "defeating the bad guy". It's really just 3 where it's silly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Mmm ock suiciding worked narratively but I don't know that it was necessary to have a satisfying conclusion to his story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

Mmm ock suiciding worked narratively but I don't know that it was necessary to have a satisfying conclusion to his story

He died saving the city from his own hubris and would've survived if his arms, which represent the hubris, weren't literally weighing him down. It's good imo.