Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I let my 4.5 yr old go wild on lovely 3rd Ed dark eldar warrior's and old mangled space marines. she really enjoys helping dry brushing and applying washes to terrain pieces. just let them use whatever paint they want. she probably gets the most enjoyment out of mixing different colours. don't over think letting your kids participate, they will be happy to use whatever you put under their nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mirthless posted:

after more than a month of struggling with it, I finally managed to get my badger 105 properly disassembled after their factory gorilla overtightened one part so bad it apparently jumped the thread: i guess it might have helped my airbrushing experience if it had been making a proper seal.

this is a good airbrush but you have to take it apart, lubricate all the parts, and put it back together correctly, because Badger will not do those things for you, and I guess that's what you get for buying american
was it the head cap by any chance? (Part A on the diagram below). That bit was on so tight on mine that I needed an adjustable wrench to get it off

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Furism posted:

I can't convince my son to get anything else than the W40K starter kit for Christmas. Since he's 6 he lacks some of the fine motor skills to properly paint minis. Would splashing them in Contrast color give an okay result? What can I do to make painting feel good for a small kid?

I usually let him paint the Reaper figurines I don't care about, but for this one I think it'd be great to aim for a higher "standard" !

Sit them down with thin paints and fix the mistakes and smooth out edges yourself, if he doesn't mind you helping. My niece is 7 and did a pretty decent job on a nolzur's manticore I posted earlier in this thread, I had to do very little ultimately

The starter set's not bad, really, outside of the Primaris LT and some of the bits on the Royal Warden all those guys are mostly big, smooth surfaces and simple poses that don't really make guys harder to paint. and since Necrons look good just with some slopped on metallic paint and a wash, they're a good block of guys to complete quickly and feel excited about how good they look when they're done

edit: like, you might even sneak the primaris LT off the sprue and do that one yourself as an example or something while he's doing the littler guys, that was the first space marine I tried to paint and man it made me want to pull my hair out

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 10, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Geisladisk posted:

OSL Termie turned out well.

Also painted a genestealer for him to shoot in the same style.

This is great, it's the slightly canted angle of the asscan that really sells it, IMO. Gives it the illusion of motion or some poo poo?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Willy Style posted:

I let my 4.5 yr old go wild on lovely 3rd Ed dark eldar warrior's and old mangled space marines. she really enjoys helping dry brushing and applying washes to terrain pieces. just let them use whatever paint they want. she probably gets the most enjoyment out of mixing different colours. don't over think letting your kids participate, they will be happy to use whatever you put under their nose.

I don't have kids, but the thing I'm seeing with these posts is that the kids don't care about winning a Golden Demon, they're just happy to be sharing in something that you're enjoying.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

jesus WEP posted:

was it the head cap by any chance? (Part A on the diagram below). That bit was on so tight on mine that I needed an adjustable wrench to get it off

Yeah. I knew the thing wasn't on right because it was shooting water out around the edge of the cap at high pressure but I wasn't convinced the thing was removable until I spent 20 minutes prying at it this morning and finally popped the sucker back on track

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that was my exact experience of it too lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Big Willy Style posted:

Get them some animals like fenris wolves or any of the lizard men. Those techniques work super well on them and what did doesn't think a lizard man or giant wolf is cool?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

Is there supposed to be a gap between part A and the body? Mine seems to have a good millimeter or so. I figured that was normal though. I'm also getting that same issue of bubble around the join between A and A1, but that seems pretty common.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mirthless posted:

truly, though, if anyone is just considering getting into airbrushing: start with iwata

Ehhh, if you're not certain you'll love the airbrush, or are hesitant over how much work you think it is to maintain one, I would recommend just buying a cheapo Master brush off Amazon. I'm glad I went that route instead of dishing out for a more reputable brand.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Something to try with kids is using watercolor paints instead of acrylics. They should work fine over a white primer, they’re super thin so they won’t obscure details, and the colors are bright and vibrant.

I say this because when I was a little kid my mother painted ceramic figurines, and she set me up with this ceramic cartoon owl and a set of kids watercolors. Whenever she would paint she’d get out my stuff and I would paint with her, I would just paint over what I had done the previous session. That owl was a crazy patchwork of color but I was proud of it and my mother cherishes it to this day.

As I got older she let me use proper paints on new figures, and when I started painting gaming figures as a teen I already had good foundation skills.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mirthless posted:

Yeah. I knew the thing wasn't on right because it was shooting water out around the edge of the cap at high pressure but I wasn't convinced the thing was removable until I spent 20 minutes prying at it this morning and finally popped the sucker back on track

One of the videos I watched about the 105 recommended using a very little beeswax on the metal-to-metal contact areas in the nozzle cap assembly. That eliminates the bubbles entirely, at least for a few weeks. I just do a general cleaning whenever the bubbles start, put on some wax, and it's good as (it's supposed to be) new.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone have any relatively compact magnifying glasses on stands they'd recommend?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

This is great, it's the slightly canted angle of the asscan that really sells it, IMO. Gives it the illusion of motion or some poo poo?

Yeah, that model is fantastic. There is a real sense of urgency and motion to it.

He has his torso twisted to the left, his head turned and cocked to that side, and aiming his gun there. It gives the impression that he just saw a target like 90 degrees to his left, had no time to get into a better position, and urgently twisted left to get a shot off.

It is even better in context with all the Space Hulk genestealers, who are hanging off rafters, and popping out of floorboards.

Every single one of the Space Hulk terminators is in really dynamic positions like that, they are absolutely full of character. Those models are getting pretty old - This guy has been sitting in a closet since the Bush presidency - But these are absolutely some of the best space marine models they've put out, ever.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks everyone for the tips on painting with kids. I'll keep using regular paint and forget my idea of using Contrast. Wow, I actually saved money from visiting this thread!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

jesus WEP posted:

For me it was A1 that was on so tight I needed an adjustable wrench and pliers to unscrew. A just leaks bubbles when I'm blasting it at full nozzle but that can be fixed, I think.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
they forgot to go back a quarter turn after hearing the crack.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Eej posted:

For me it was A1 that was on so tight I needed an adjustable wrench and pliers to unscrew. A just leaks bubbles when I'm blasting it at full nozzle but that can be fixed, I think.

It was both for me. It was such a pain in the rear end even with the tools to get off, and doing so in a way that didn't gently caress up the airbrush. Mine did the bubble thing too, and does from time to time, but I figured out it was because there was a gnarly bit of paint my old vallejo cleaner wasn't getting out from A1 and basically back pressure was causing it. My new cleaner is amazingly better at cleaning that gunk out.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I'd go with this. My daughter is thrilled she can finally paint faces. How are faces painted? First you cover the head in blue, then you paint the nose orange and lastly you dab two circles of bright green where you feel the eyes belong.

She's proud, and it's okay that the werewolves look like they're auditioning for clown college.

The globby nightmare monsters my kid painted for me are going to be buried with me when I die so I can take them with me to the underworld.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mllaneza posted:

One of the videos I watched about the 105 recommended using a very little beeswax on the metal-to-metal contact areas in the nozzle cap assembly. That eliminates the bubbles entirely, at least for a few weeks. I just do a general cleaning whenever the bubbles start, put on some wax, and it's good as (it's supposed to be) new.

I've heard teflon tape works well too. I think I'll try both. I feel like I shoulda just sent it back, but I really, really want to make the american airbrush work, it feels like a loving personal challenge I have to overcome now

I have really come to prefer my siphon feed iwata for any kind of bulk spraying or batch painting but it's nice to just be able to use a few drops of paint sometimes!!!

Sab669 posted:

Ehhh, if you're not certain you'll love the airbrush, or are hesitant over how much work you think it is to maintain one, I would recommend just buying a cheapo Master brush off Amazon. I'm glad I went that route instead of dishing out for a more reputable brand.

I mean, to be fair: my real recommendation for starting out is to buy a compressor that comes with a tank and a lovely airbrush, most of the big name manufactured brands are just private labeled compressors using the same basic design. The airbrush pack-in that I got was a Fengdu, which I guess is a competitor to Master, which itself seems to be a knockoff of Iwata, which is fine. I still have my cheap chinese starter airbrush and it was better out of the box than my badger because I guess there's better quality control in Shenzhen than the United States

quote:

All the badger fixture stuff

There's a couple of dials and stuff too where overtightening seems to shut off the valve entirely or restrict air flow or change the pattern of the spray

The overall impression I get with the badgers is that, if you want the best results, you need to fully disassemble, clean, lubricate, tape and hand-tighten every fixture on the loving thing before you put a drop of paint through it

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 10, 2020

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

It took 20 years but I finally slapped some paint on my first box of boyz. I tried not to spend too much time on any one part or get hung up on any details so I'm pretty okay with how they turned out.

I also found the first model I painted using all the colours I had at the time. It will always be my favourite even if it's more fitting in the unspiration thread.

Taking pictures is hard.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

My first airbrush was a Masters and I spent more time taking it apart than I did painting. My Patriot worked 100% fine but I did take it apart and lube and check it like I do for all things of that kind. I didn't have the impossibly tight nozzle and leaks people are reporting. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a manufacturing flaw the shop wouldn't take responsibility for so Badger is just working through the stock.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'm curious when those of you having problems with your Badger's bought your brushes?

Badger used to have an excellent reputation for QC, but since the birthday sales started I've heard lots of people having troubles with them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

I'm curious when those of you having problems with your Badger's bought your brushes?

Badger used to have an excellent reputation for QC, but since the birthday sales started I've heard lots of people having troubles with them.
i got my 105 about a year ago

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have a 20/20 as well from badger and have zero complaints about it, it’s been perfect

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I bought a 105 from badger from their first birthday sale and it did have super tight A/A1 problem but other than that it's been great. I got a Sotar 20/20 from them at gencon '19 and no problems with that either.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mirthless posted:

The overall impression I get with the badgers is that, if you want the best results, you need to fully disassemble, clean, lubricate, tape and hand-tighten every fixture on the loving thing before you put a drop of paint through it

Yes.

I wouldn't let that put anyone off the 105 though, you'll have to do that to any airbrush every so often anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQdGE7_YQ4

A full takedown/reassembly video is only about 9 or 10 minutes.

e. I got mine in May of this year.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally painted the model I'd been dreading, this troll from the Blood Bowl Black Orcs team. Super stoked with how it came out, I think it's the highest standard I've reached for a model so far (which isn't saying a lot, but still). Not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

edit-- drat IT I just noticed in the pictures that I blobbed a little white on top of the repurposed helmet on his knee.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Finally painted the model I'd been dreading, this troll from the Blood Bowl Black Orcs team. Super stoked with how it came out, I think it's the highest standard I've reached for a model so far (which isn't saying a lot, but still). Not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

edit-- drat IT I just noticed in the pictures that I blobbed a little white on top of the repurposed helmet on his knee.

hell yeah that looks great

and that's always what happens. but that's the fun part of sharing pictures, mistakes look 50x worse to you while no one else notices

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I picked up a Badger Krome from Amazon a few months ago when they were on a pretty deep discount and it's worked very well for me so far, in spite of me almost assuredly constantly loving up paint consistency and stuff while I learn how to use it. Only issue so far is some very minor air leaks somewhere in the adapter / hose connecting to the compressor, but that seems to be common and I can probably fix it easily with some teflon tape whenever I stop being lazy buy some. Doesn't cause any problems or anything, just kinda annoying how often the compressor has to kick in.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

Does the O ring (part L) actually serve a purpose in the operation of the airbrush?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bucnasti posted:

Just got mine this year

I am getting the impression this slip was recent

chippocrates posted:

Does the O ring (part L) actually serve a purpose in the operation of the airbrush?

it keeps you from overtightening the handle and fusing the handle's threads together

also i wouldn't be surprised if the back part of the handle was cast from a cheaper steel to save money, so that o-ring may literally be the only thing stopping the receiver from shredding the stock, so to speak

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 10, 2020

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

mllaneza posted:

Yes.

I wouldn't let that put anyone off the 105 though, you'll have to do that to any airbrush every so often anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVQdGE7_YQ4

A full takedown/reassembly video is only about 9 or 10 minutes.

e. I got mine in May of this year.

Yeah, like, if I *really* hated this thing I would have just thrown it back - it's not bad, I do have some specific complaints but it's a well crafted tool to be sure

What you seem to be paying for with a Badger is a heavy duty tool, "american craftsmanship", as in, you can brain somebody with this object and not have it break. I like that. :911: Just keep up with regular maintenance and you can get 300,000 miles out of this bad boy no problem

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i appreciate than i can be less than surgical cleaning it and it will just keep on trucking. i am way more careful with the sotar

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
Thank you guys for the replies! I'm located in the United States. i'll check out vallejo and scale hobbyist.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Michtoy is a fantastic source for paints, and are my normal go-to store. But recently I used Fantization.com because Michtoy never had the Kimera set in stock and I was very happy, cheap + fast shipping and at least during the current sale their prices were better than anywhere else I found. They are also one of the few vendors that carry Scale stuff in the US.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

Rad! Looking forward to it.

mllaneza posted:

I've got some of these I haven't used yet and am INTENSELY curious as to your findings.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FSF69RM/

I used these decal sheets. I must've seen someone recommend these at some point, because I copied the link to my notes and came across it again a few weeks back. Here's the packaging/instructions, in case you're curious:

Printing off the decals was a cinch. Didn't have to change any of the settings on the printer, just plopped the sheet in there like a normal piece of paper. Unfortunately the color on the decal sheet came out a little darker than my test sheet and darker than the color I was trying to mimic (Vallejo's Bloody Red).

(decal sheet on the left, test sheet on the right; the pauldrons in the middle were some color tests and freehand dicking around I did, but that color red is what I was going for)

I'm not sure if this is because of the printer I used (admittedly not the best), a characteristic of the decal sheet, or if I simply picked a shade that was too dark to begin with. In any event, I didn't have access to image editing software when I printed them off, so I couldn't adjust fire.

Applying the recommended Microscale Liquid Decal Film with a paintbrush is also super easy. It's pretty thick--so much so I was worried it was.going to dry in streaks and globs--but it spreads around really well and dries invisible.

I'm about to head out for the evening, so I'll follow up again tomorrow when I try applying some of these.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cinara posted:

Michtoy is a fantastic source for paints, and are my normal go-to store. But recently I used Fantization.com because Michtoy never had the Kimera set in stock and I was very happy, cheap + fast shipping and at least during the current sale their prices were better than anywhere else I found. They are also one of the few vendors that carry Scale stuff in the US.

michtoy also has pretty solid customer service where I accidentally preordered a Rosemary and Co brush (I'm an idiot and didn't see it was a preorder) along with some paint and they asked if I wanted to wait for the paint to arrive or split it into two packages. I offered to pay for extra shipping and they were just like "nah dude it's ok, we're gonna ship the paint now and send the brush out when we get them"

So i'm going to shop there for when I want to order painting supplies and think you guys should too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Muzzle flash termimator turned out so well I immediately started another, this time with a weaker blue light from his power sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Speaking of kids painting miniatures I got a bunch of random cheap goblins and skeletons from reaper to let my youngest paint while I do my orks. Something like 4bucks for 3 figures. She just uses regular craft paints and has a blast.
Lots of really nice looking stuff the last few pages, so allow my 7 year old to bring the bar a little bit lower.