Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Protip for people doing a Drycha campaign: gently caress the Vampire Counts. You get that decision early on to make nice with them, but it is a filthy lie and if you do not purge them they will be a thorn in your side for ages. Crush them before they get off the ground and enjoy the sweet sweet +10% income all buildings bonus you get from occupying a capital city as wood elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Got my Vortex Twins campaign done the other night. Honestly, it was a breeze. I think I really benefited from making nice with Morathi and Malekith. I killed off those starting orcs, and pushed back Tretch whenever he came round to my place, but I never held land other than those two little towns north of the Witchwood. I chose encounter dilemmas and techs that made the dark elf factions like me, and straight-up bribed Morathi a bit, and they just left me alone all game, even when I made a defensive alliance with Alariel. Anyway it was a shame not to get the growth from the two southern Heathlands, but I was able to blitz through the other three forests and supercharge my growth that way. Of course, refusing to attack the DElves meant I could never get a dragon for my girls, but whatever.

Honestly, I dislike how many different types of infantry the elf factions get, it makes them all sort of blend together and I lose sight of their relative strengths. The mechanics unique to the Twins were not especially compelling, but I really liked the changes made to the WElves in general.

Generally speaking, the campaign map was covered in rats. Imrik and the Southlands lizards were all crushed between Settra and Queek, while my invasion of Lustria ruined Luther Harkon's day and gave the lizards the upper hand there.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So reading people's game experience with legendary chaos invasions a running theme seems to be the dark elves being wiped out within a few turns of chaos showing up, to the point it's a meme

Has anyone tried very hard chaos invasions? do the dark elves still get wiped out? does kislev easily hold back a very hard invasion?
I imagine it's something that'll end up patched by the next major bug fix patch with just how consistently they get destroyed in such a short time of them showing up.
Hell, I did a normal invasion and Malekith went from being the biggest faction in my game with like 30 settlements to being a secondary power with 10.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Usually Malekith in my games recovers pretty well as long he's claimed the areas south of Naggarand, where Karond/Rictus/etc. live. Even with 1000 stacks chaos stacks are terrible in autoresolve and DE is extremely busted thanks to Shades, so what usually happens is that the ice wastelands get razed but he can usually reclaim them, especially since DE get quite a lot of post-battle/sacking/looting gold that they can be very rich even without that many cities.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 10, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hm, perhaps I will give Skaven a try, while I am at it...Just a few turns...

*A few turns later*

*Snarl* YeS yEs! KiLl AlL eLf ThInGs! *Snort* :unsmigghh:

*cough* Ahem, just a question: Why wouldn't I want Skaven corruption to go max in a providence that I control?

FAKE EDIT: Oh what is that? You want to run? Well I will just hit the button that spawns a unit anywhere on the map and have a unit right where you are heading!

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 10, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Skaven corruption is basically just measuring how much rat filth is everywhere, so it lowers your own public order but since rebels make for good meals that isn't always a bad thing if you got armies nearby or strong walls.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
all problems can be solved with the 9 casts of menace from below you're throwing at them as well

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I realise im probably far from the first one to do this, but goddamn burning head owns

https://youtu.be/2TgUiHIWp5U

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I realise im probably far from the first one to do this, but goddamn burning head owns

https://youtu.be/2TgUiHIWp5U

Jesus, I'd always written off spells like that in favor of the vortexes. I need to revisit Bright Wizards.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

according to the unit counter, they had 1490 before, and 930 afterwards loving lmao

the big issue i've always had with the vortex spells is they lose utility when close to your troops

the burning head seems to follow the contours of the terrain, but i chose my ground, lined up my halberdiers and ran the skull directly along my line. might have lost a couple but it completely devastated their frontlines

:discourse:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 10, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Burning head is a tippy top tier army melter spell and Flaming swords of Rhuin is extremely powerful if you know which enemy units are weak to magical or fire damage, winds might be stretched a bit thin after that but Fire cloak is a really good defensive spell too, the lore has everything you'd want in those 3 spells except strong stat debuffs.

Hot tip, if they brought something with regeneration, surround it with flaming swords.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

honestly i think fire might be the most powerful purely offensive lore there is

burning head is ridiculous by itself, but then you've got the fire bombardment and vortex as well to really devastate their army, plus an excellent sniper spell

i haven't even looked at the others, just slamming out as much damage as humanly possible

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
flaming swords are nice... flaming handguns though...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Discovering that you can aim the initial portion of vortex spells in the same way you do with line spells was mind-blowing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Burning head is a tippy top tier army melter spell and Flaming swords of Rhuin is extremely powerful if you know which enemy units are weak to magical or fire damage, winds might be stretched a bit thin after that but Fire cloak is a really good defensive spell too, the lore has everything you'd want in those 3 spells except strong stat debuffs.

Hot tip, if they brought something with regeneration, surround it with flaming swords.

Piercing Bolts of Burning melts even harder than Burning Head, too, if you can facilitate a big blob up around a hero or something.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In my ME Sisters campaign I doubt that Malakeith will do much to slow down the incoming chaos invasion. Of course that is because I pretty much cut a bloody path up to his capital and taking great delight in butchering everything that I could touch.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ambushed Throt while marching through his lands and his stack is basically a full stack of Ratling Guns. Guess even the AI knows where the doomstack potential is in the Skaven army. :v:

(More seriously it would be nice if somehow the AI could be nudged to recruit more lore-friendly armies).

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Confederating asap is pretty handy for getting your economy going. I did that desert tree first? Whatever that is.

Morathi I think got dunked by Ariel or something and only had stacks of turd tier spears in my game so I’ve just been razing all his poo poo with no opposition.

Yeah, winning one lightning strike battle against Oreon and provoking a confederation seemed easy enough, but Morathi seemed like a big threat, and a lot can happen in the 10 turns it would take to warp my main army back.

sassassin posted:

Are you trying to hold territory? I moved onto the second forest on turn 35 after clearing all the local encounters and getting the dragon back. Left half a stack in the Witchwood to ambush alongside the garrison, and abandoned all but the temple settlement on the near end of the canyon.

Cost me a few hundred a turn I was getting from a trade deal with the skeletons, but armies cost far more than that. Maybe I got lucky that the rats did as much damage to Morathi as I did and now she's been confederated by Malekith. Who is now global power no. 1 but doesn't spew chaos corruption everywhere.

No, in fact my outposts to the west are currently being rolled up by a Beastmen army that I don’t think can threaten the Witchwood. I want to end the threat from Malekith because even in his weakened state, I don’t trust Khatep and the High Elves in Naggaroth to be useful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The Gaean Vale destruction event shook up my sisters vortex campaign a bit so now Ariel is in South America fighting vampire corruption and conquistadors (lizards seem to be extinct) and the sisters themselves are knee deep in a war between Avelorn and Chrace.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Azran posted:

Discovering that you can aim the initial portion of vortex spells in the same way you do with line spells was mind-blowing.

Wait, what? I've played this game 1000 hours and had no idea you could do this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
someone post about alt + left click and drag again

wait poo poo

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ArchRanger posted:

Jesus, I'd always written off spells like that in favor of the vortexes. I need to revisit Bright Wizards.

Winds of Death that the Vampires get is the same, it's nuts. Easily 400+ kills a cast if you set the line up correctly on Ultra size and with Vamps you should be at like 130 magic every fight so you can slam out like 3 of them in between the Neheks.. It's the Vamp's artillery basically. Only downside is you can't use it on walls for obvious reasons, but that's what Pit of Shades is for!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Best lores: FIRE, then Life, then the one with scythe and the big black pit, then the one with the net and the chain lightning, then who gives a poo poo.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I miss launch of wh2 Dweller's Below.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Eimi posted:

The ones without collision so you could put them on top of any unit and they gobble them up?

I miss it too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

KPC_Mammon posted:

Wait, what? I've played this game 1000 hours and had no idea you could do this.

Yup, confirmed by a CA dev on stream. Just drag as if it were a line spell, even if the preview template doesn't change.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The best lore is Teclis' spell set. Zoom over, net, chain lightning, phoenix bound, overcast the bird spell for good measure, oops half their army is dead

Then you hit your eagle claws with flaming sword, cackling all the while because you hit with like five different buffs every time you cast. Your brave elven troops destroy the remainder that staggers into the shimmering line with minimal casualties and return to the homeland.

I really wish Teclis had a fun start.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 10, 2020

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Teclis is really good these days with his birb.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

jokes posted:

The ones without collision so you could put them on top of any unit and they gobble them up?

I miss it too.

That one was hilariously funny, but nah the Lore of Life vortex that did hilarious damage and slowed down enemies in it. Just a mess of vines dragging people below ground.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Haha that one rules too.

I like that mods generally make magic more powerful but cost more. Ideally that's what I'm into. I want 1-3 big casts, like that video of the burning head just ashing the poo poo out of a bunch of undead.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just realized that you can place units right on top of enemy units during ambushes if you have vanguard. is this only for Drycha?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, that's definitely a hell of a surprise.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SuperKlaus posted:

Sisters with Hawk Riders are Welf Air Queens.

Games: Total War: Warhammer 2 - Welf Air Queens.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

just realized that you can place units right on top of enemy units during ambushes if you have vanguard. is this only for Drycha?

I’m sure that’s a bug. I’ve noticed sometimes units being able to be deployed where they shouldn’t be this patch.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

Best lores: FIRE, then Life, then the one with scythe and the big black pit, then the one with the net and the chain lightning, then who gives a poo poo.
Vampire, fire. Sadly they nerfed Shadows by cutting Penumbral Pendulum in half, but it's still great.

Also I just got the WElf Air Queen joke. :cripes:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It almost makes sense since theyre you know, trees.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I’m sure that’s a bug. I’ve noticed sometimes units being able to be deployed where they shouldn’t be this patch.

Definitely a bug, I played Drycha as my first DLC campaign and definitely couldn't place anything inside the enemy's deployment area during ambushes. Spent enough time meticulously dragging my Dryad lines as close as possible to know that for sure.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

I miss wh1 spirit leech.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I remember in the pre-release info some hero/lord was able to delay and eventually stop degradation on summons. Who was that? I thought it was Throt but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ravenfood posted:

I remember in the pre-release info some hero/lord was able to delay and eventually stop degradation on summons. Who was that? I thought it was Throt but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Drycha gets a skill that lets her summon 3 times and changes it to an army ability so they can be summoned anywhere instead of just within her range. And they don't deteriorate