Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
My favorite experience with that trend was a time a watched a movie review/breakdown that seemed completely normal for like an entire hour and then suddenly a talking robot skeleton mascot came in out of nowhere and did like another half hour of the review in its pitch-shifted voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phanatic posted:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/safety-warehouse-giveaway-fake-5-notes-used-to-dupe-hamilton-bar/WNIGYIISSGLN6STNBGKK26ZQ3I/

Fake money from a controversial promotional cash-drop in Auckland has been used to dupe a bar into providing free drinks in Hamilton.

On Saturday work apparel company The Safety Warehouse hosted a $100,000 cash drop in central Auckland's Aotea Square.

Tensions flared when some of the money turned out to be discount vouchers for the online store, printed to look like $5 notes.

In the Banksy documentary Exit Through the Gift Shop he talks about how at one point he planned to do a piece involving fake money but pulled it at the last second because he didn't want a situation like this to happen.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Breetai posted:

YouTube 'personalities' who thanks to algorithm-driven recommendation weighting have preview images for every one of their videos set as near-identical shots of their faces, in close-up, with an expression of extreme goofy surprise. They are incapable of reacting to anything that they talk about or exhibit at anything less than 100db and maximum display of emotion and quirk.
I don't know why this shtick bothers me so much, but it's absolutely everywhere. Want to learn the bass line to Immigrant Song? Your two options are a) person who's an amazing musician but mumbles his way through the instructions on a low res phone cam, b) a waaaacky YouTube personality that mugs at the camera every 5 seconds to remind viewers just how quirky he is.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

hyperhazard posted:

I don't know why this shtick bothers me so much, but it's absolutely everywhere. Want to learn the bass line to Immigrant Song? Your two options are a) person who's an amazing musician but mumbles his way through the instructions on a low res phone cam, b) a waaaacky YouTube personality that mugs at the camera every 5 seconds to remind viewers just how quirky he is.

I remember, back in 2005 or so, seeing metroid2002.com and being really impressed by the combination of clear, concise written instructions with short, direct video clips. It was such a great format, I couldn’t wait until it caught on everywhere, which it obviously would.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I think the root of YouTube thumbnails is that children are a huge driving force of YouTube views and the exaggerated shocked expression and colorful circles and arrows appeals to them. It became such a driving force of views for videos that everyone began imitating it and it became seen as the best practice regardless of who your target audience is.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

RagnarokAngel posted:

Channel Awesome in general can be charged with that sin.

Definitely the first one to spring to mind. Lindsay Ellis has been so much more watchable in recent years since she escaped from that bullshit (and also didn't have that gently caress the nostalgia critic pop up to mug for the camera/gainsay her in a bunch of her videos).

It's also what's stopping me from showing my girlfriend the red-letter media takedown of phantom menace, which is a pity because embarrassing crap aside I know she'd dig it.

(Speaking of schtick overtaking content, the amount of time wasted on the crappy storyline seemed to increase exponentially by the time they got to revenge of the Sith, and made that video unwatchable even if you go into it with the intention of just ignoring the crap.)

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Breetai posted:

It's also what's stopping me from showing my girlfriend the red-letter media takedown of phantom menace, which is a pity because embarrassing crap aside I know she'd dig it.

(Speaking of schtick overtaking content, the amount of time wasted on the crappy storyline seemed to increase exponentially by the time they got to revenge of the Sith, and made that video unwatchable even if you go into it with the intention of just ignoring the crap.)

I think they cut out a lot of the storyline stuff from the Revenge of the Sith review? I remember being annoyed with it when it originally came out, but I watched it again some time recently and most of it was gone unless my memory is wrong.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m pretty sure there are fan edits that cut the dumb Skits stuff out completely

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Red letter media is horrid and there was a time when it was impossible to talk about movies because people would just repeat what they heard from rlm

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Instead they repeat whatever they heard from whoever they listen to now, wspecially on shittyfilm forums like CD

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Very true, i agree it used to be when you tried to talk about movies people would just repeat things that rlm had said but now they just repeat stuff from whatever they heard last

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There used to be a reviewer that basically liked the things I liked and hated the things I hated and they were the only person's reviews I looked at because they were pretty spot on for what I would enjoy. They were in The Chicago Reader in the early 2000's, but I don't know their name. Began with a "J" I think. I thought it was really odd that we had almost the same exact taste. I sometimes wonder if they would have enjoyed Steven Segal Sundays with me and my roommates.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

There used to be a reviewer that basically liked the things I liked and hated the things I hated and they were the only person's reviews I looked at because they were pretty spot on for what I would enjoy. They were in The Chicago Reader in the early 2000's, but I don't know their name. Began with a "J" I think. I thought it was really odd that we had almost the same exact taste. I sometimes wonder if they would have enjoyed Steven Segal Sundays with me and my roommates.

JR Jones?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I think that might be him! Haven't bothered checking out any of his recent reviews since streaming took over going to the movies for me back in like 2008.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SpartanIvy posted:

I think the root of YouTube thumbnails is that children are a huge driving force of YouTube views and the exaggerated shocked expression and colorful circles and arrows appeals to them. It became such a driving force of views for videos that everyone began imitating it and it became seen as the best practice regardless of who your target audience is.

The Mousetrap Monday guy mentioned that he didn't really want to, but when his videos were thumbnailed with a shocked expression and pointing his view numbers went significantly higher.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

One weird trick advertisers don’t want you to know about

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The scary thing is with online content, is that we used to put up with worse. Remember all the poo poo we used to sit for ages waiting to load in the dial-up days?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nostradingus posted:

Red letter media is horrid and there was a time when it was impossible to talk about movies because people would just repeat what they heard from rlm

They own actually.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Very true, i agree it used to be when you tried to talk about movies people would just repeat things that rlm had said but now they just repeat stuff from whatever they heard last

I can think for myself and am not a follower, so I say the opposite of whatever you just said

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like their take on a lot of films, but RLM fell into the trap of having a secondary plot unfolding in each episode and it gets increasingly stupid as time goes on. Also they call out dumb marketing moves in big budget films, so oddly thread appropriate!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Placed right in the middle of all the overpriced fancy sanitizer stuff

If you’re at the point where you have to kickstart your vlogging career with some poo poo you bought from Target, pre sanitized isn’t the worst idea.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I normally like RC cola, now this will be stuck in my mind so no more for me ever.

I also don't want to live any more.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

It says non toxic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Fruits of the sea posted:

I like their take on a lot of films, but RLM fell into the trap of having a secondary plot unfolding in each episode and it gets increasingly stupid as time goes on. Also they call out dumb marketing moves in big budget films, so oddly thread appropriate!

It's been a long time since they really leaned on that though, now their stuff is basically just people talking about movies, with maybe a brief "skit" at the beginning and end to avoid having to do a sincere intro/outro.

Most other YouTube video essayists have done the same, thankfully. It's similarly jarring to watch an old Todd In The Shadows and have to put up with other "characters" showing up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah skits in review shows are basically dead. Which is good they all sucked

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I quite like RLM but even as a fan of crappy movies I’ve never been able to finish a single episode of Best of the Worst. They just go on and on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Their best of the worst is their best stuff.

Wheel of the worst sucks

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I've seen this multiple time before, but up until now my attention was so taken up by the orange juice looking packing that I never noticed it's "Cleancult" brand. That name alone qualifies it for this thread.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Viscous Soda posted:

I've seen this multiple time before, but up until now my attention was so taken up by the orange juice looking packing that I never noticed it's "Cleancult" brand. That name alone qualifies it for this thread.

Dr. Bronner is the original clean cult.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

First of May posted:

ALL ONE!!!!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

First of May posted:

No LOVEY-DOVEY poo poo! DILUTE! DILUTE! OK!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Their best of the worst is their best stuff.

Wheel of the worst sucks

Wheel of the Worst is extremely hit or miss but almost worth it for when they find something so bizarre they don't even know what to do with it. Like the Japanese hardcore Christian video about barcodes being the mark of the beast that ended with everyone running off to live in a nature commune and then getting rapture'd (?)

Best of the Worst is definitely their best stuff though, especially Halloween episodes. :allears:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Best of the Worst is the only RLM content I even bother to watch anymore.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only RLM content I watch anymore is this video, which I watch every six months or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sir Lemming posted:

It's been a long time since they really leaned on that though, now their stuff is basically just people talking about movies, with maybe a brief "skit" at the beginning and end to avoid having to do a sincere intro/outro.

The serial killer schtick in the Prequel reviews served two primary purposes. One, an openly brutal mockery of the Star Wars fans who take it too seriously. Second, to show that they can write and produce a deeper relationship than Lucas did. That's them deflecting the expected criticism a lot of critics get - they can critique but not create. They're making an overly long and detailed breakdown of the latest entries in a beloved film series, they were always going to get a lot of flack no matter how they presented it.

The first may have been gratuitous but was sometimes funny. The second I think they actually pulled off. It's twisted and hosed up, but it's more believable than Padme and Anakin.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

RandomFerret posted:

The only RLM content I watch anymore is this video, which I watch every six months or so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo

Hell yeah I'm not alone

The loving Emperor Palpatine memorial hospital, god

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had no idea the empire struggled under such brutal austerity measures

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pick posted:

I had no idea the empire struggled under such brutal austerity measures

Pretty standard for authoritarian regimes. Every quarter astronomical numbers of boots are produced, while perhaps half of the Outer Rim worlds go barefoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pigbuster posted:

Hell yeah I'm not alone

The loving Emperor Palpatine memorial hospital, god

quote:

The Chancellor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center, sometimes shortened to ChanPal SuRecon Center, crowned one of the tallest buildings on Coruscant. During the Clone Wars, it was also known as the Grand Republic Medical Facility or simply as the Grand Medical Facility. It later became known as the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center, being commonly referred to as the EmPal SuRecon Center. It was an imposing spire that dominated its particular stretch of the Galactic City—later Imperial City—skyline.