Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I said come in! posted:

I guess we'll know more on December 17 when it launches. It looks interesting, but the graphics are really rough and that doesn't leave a good first impression. This genre is difficult to sell people on because Eve-Online has this type of MMO locked down.

This sounds closer to Elite: Dangerous with actual multiplayer than EVE though. A lot of people get turned off EVE just because it is a spreadsheet machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

This sounds closer to Elite: Dangerous with actual multiplayer than EVE though. A lot of people get turned off EVE just because it is a spreadsheet machine.

Some people get turned on by spreadsheets

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

SpaceRift: Arcanum System looks like a 2-4 man project at most judging by their "dev" steam group only containing a grand total of 4 people.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUnJm_oCrdeOztjiBmlsUdg/videos (lead dev's YT)

And this is their first 2 man project that they abandoned https://store.steampowered.com/app/663110/Sunrise_survival/

Not saying it's DoA and a scam but it's definitely DoA and a scam.

Strotski fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 9, 2020

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Biowarfare posted:

Some people get turned on by everything.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I think MMOs are basically dead at this point and will be until someone comes out with a revolutionary new concept that takes off and we get another round of companies trying and failing to emulate their success.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Next MMO is going to be when they upload your consciousness to a sever then destroy the physical remains

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Next MMO is going to be when they upload your consciousness to a sever then destroy the physical remains

this isn't even a revolutionary new concept, it's been the plot point for half the animes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Biowarfare posted:

this isn't even a revolutionary new concept, it's been the plot point for half the animes

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Biowarfare posted:

i spent the last few days working on one!!

generates loot for a niche tabletop rpg so i dont gotta roll every little thing

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Node posted:

Some people get turned on by everything.

I know I get turned on by Star Citizen. Long live the STIMPIRE!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Game Awards showing off Crimson Desert

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

Game Awards showing off Crimson Desert

The environments looked really nice. Its basically the sequel to Black Desert, its the same game studio and all of that.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The environments looked really nice. Its basically the sequel to Black Desert, its the same game studio and all of that.

I think they switched to another engine too. I am spooked that they will MTX the willies out of it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FireWhizzle posted:

I think they switched to another engine too. I am spooked that they will MTX the willies out of it.

I would bet a lot of money that they will

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

eonwe posted:

I would bet a lot of money that they will

Yeah, Black Desert cash shop pretty much confirms that they will. I give that cash shop a tiny bit of a free pass for having a Red Panda as a purchasable pet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
MMO cash shop discussion

1. Players: I really want no pay to win
2. Developers: NO PAY TO WIN, WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR
3. Game launches and players get semi-invested
4. Developers: the upcoming patch will add some balance tweaks and we have some new additions to the cash shop!!! :)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
BDO is like asking the Hellraiser-guy "Yes I want to play a grindy game".

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo I need a game to play

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Holy poo poo I need a game to play

You won’t like to hear it, but there’s a new WoW expansion out.

“Oh WoW sucks! I hate wow!” Yeah ok, but look around you in this forum. Look at the games people are talking about like they are playable. Goons desperately latching onto kickstarter scams made by the accountant at the Ultima Online office or something. For years it’s been going on. Get it while it’s hot and drop it in a couple months when the shine wears off.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Comrayn posted:

“Oh WoW sucks! I hate wow!” Yeah ok, but look around you in this forum. Look at the games people are talking about like they are playable. Goons desperately latching onto kickstarter scams made by the accountant at the Ultima Online office or something. For years it’s been going on. Get it while it’s hot and drop it in a couple months when the shine wears off.

Shine wore off for me almost instantly when I hit max level. Just felt like a slog with dumb chores at that point. To be fair the 1 - 60 leveling experience is great now thanks to the new starting zone and chromie time.

I think out of the big 4 WoW always used to be my favorite but I think it is my least favorite now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Comrayn posted:

You won’t like to hear it, but there’s a new WoW expansion out. “Oh WoW sucks! I hate wow!” Yeah ok, but look around you in this forum. Look at the games people are talking about like they are playable. Goons desperately latching onto kickstarter scams made by the accountant at the Ultima Online office or something. For years it’s been going on. Get it while it’s hot and drop it in a couple months when the shine wears off.
There are better single player games, friend.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Used to play EQ back in the glory days, up to Scars of Velious. Decided to give the TLP server Aradune a try for nostalgia sake.

Seems like EQ is better off being a nice memory rather than an actual gaming experience. Maybe it's the fact the the level 0-40 situation is completely dire on Aradune, might resub once a new TLP server opens up.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Comrayn posted:

I only play sandbox MMORPGs that are not space related, unfortunately. WoW sucks. I hate wow.

Now where's that credit card for indiegogo...

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Comrayn posted:

Sure WoW sucks, but it's also the fact most of the MMO fans here have played a lot of WoW and have wrung their fun out of it long ago. An expansion isn't going to make the game any less stale for the majority- at least that's how I feel. Other MMOs I have played lately are for the PvP experience, never mind how dated, but also because I never spent a few years playing Warhammer Online or DAOC like I already did with WoW.

That's why you see people donating to kickstarters and throwing money at far-fetched developer claims, they're just desperate for something new and fresh to waste time in and new raid bosses on World of Warcraft isn't enough to satisfy that, even if its the best expansion since ___.

knox fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 14, 2020

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Nowher posted:

Used to play EQ back in the glory days, up to Scars of Velious. Decided to give the TLP server Aradune a try for nostalgia sake.

Seems like EQ is better off being a nice memory rather than an actual gaming experience. Maybe it's the fact the the level 0-40 situation is completely dire on Aradune, might resub once a new TLP server opens up.

Try either P99 or TAKP, P99 usually has plenty of players to play with at most levels, but the community can be a bit elitist. TAKP has an amazing extremely friendly community but the server is very top heavy and it's a 3-box server, so you'll have to 3box until level 40ish but it's very easy with all the buffs and gear people will throw at you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Play shards of dalaya, there’s a thread on it

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Nowher posted:

Seems like EQ is better off being a nice memory rather than an actual gaming experience.

Unfortunately this is the case across the board hands down. Nostalgia will make it fun, but that can only last so long. We’re all cursed by our prior experiences - it’s like an old addiction.

I did a bit of P99 and it was fun for a while, specifically because of being able to interact with other players. But the nostalgia faded quickly - within a month.

I was also able to eek out a few months on the AC emulator. Was able to hang in there a bit longer because AC was my first MMO - and the one I’ve played the most. That was also a huge nostalgia trip and fun for a while, but nothing I could keep going indefinitely.

Mostly, and I think you’ll all recognize this, I get to a point with MMOs where I inevitably ask myself “why am I doing this with my time” and can’t muster the motivation to log in during my normal alone time. Then it’s over.

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Pretty much what the poster said above me. AC was my first venture into forums, and it eventually led me into these forums somehow, I forget exactly.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Asheron's Call? I read the most insane AC story on postcount forum while looking for DAOC info; about some guild Underworld Dreams and someone named Rayne who was arrested for child abuse months ago. Never played game but know about it from Reckful.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

hot date tonight! posted:

Try either P99 or TAKP, P99 usually has plenty of players to play with at most levels, but the community can be a bit elitist. TAKP has an amazing extremely friendly community but the server is very top heavy and it's a 3-box server, so you'll have to 3box until level 40ish but it's very easy with all the buffs and gear people will throw at you.

Plus one for TAKP. Server is currently in Luclin with PoP testing/development moving along at a steady pace.

You of course don't _have_ to 3-box (personally I hate trying to manage 3) but many people do. Often I see people drop the third box on raids and just duo.

Al'Kabor, and therefore TAKP, had weird broken xp mechanics that actually give you more XP per-person with a group of 4 over a group of 3. So that also serves to encourage people to group. But yeah, top-heavy for sure.

Send /tell to Lorien if you see me on (admittedly somewhat infrequently, I usually only play Fri/Sat) if you need basic levels 1-20 stuff like banded or money for a cheap baz weapon or spells.

also a lot of the QOL stuff around TAKP like the game account manager (being able to look at your inventory, bank etc of your boxes while not in game), spellbook tracker, automagic magelo, etc are really nice additions to the server.

However- the client is _more_ classic than the P99 client. there's no scrollwheel cam etc. So that's a thing that drives people batty :v:

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 14, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I kinda stopped playing black desert when my friends did, but now my other friends started playing gw2, and it's still the best open world mmo somehow.

Someone make gw3, but hire ff14's encounter designers please, thank you

e: BDO has the same problem, but even worse really. Combat's great, world is pretty varied, but there's no group content at all outside pvp lol

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 14, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

I kinda stopped playing black desert when my friends did, but now my other friends started playing gw2, and it's still the best open world mmo somehow.

This guy has the right of it. Also add elfs.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Truga posted:

e: BDO has the same problem, but even worse really. Combat's great, world is pretty varied, but there's no group content at all outside pvp lol

there's some dungeon/raid content coming next year, apparently you have to combine different classes to overcome obstacles or some poo poo

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

Truga posted:

please sign me up for this thanks

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'm making an indie retro sandbox mmorpg and posting it on kickstarter soon

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
still waiting for eq next

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Kaysette posted:

still waiting for eq next

Will they ever make another? Will they try for EQ3 or skip straight to 4?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

cmdrk posted:

Will they ever make another? Will they try for EQ3 or skip straight to 4?

What happened with EQNext? I remember a big huge deal about some sort of voxel building system and then....nothing?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Truga posted:

Combined overworld design of GW2 and instance design of FFXIV would be pretty nice, but what I would want even more is the crafting system of FFXIV combined with the crafting bank, inventory management, and buy/sell order implementation of GW2.

I don't even know what there is to do in GW2 expect wander around by myself to uncover and finish more map objectives and do jumping puzzles and stuff, which is great for what it is but why bother even having it be a MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Xun posted:

What happened with EQNext? I remember a big huge deal about some sort of voxel building system and then....nothing?

Man, wish I knew. I was a $60 into that game and got tired of grinding voxels for new tools. It's actually too bad because I think the community put a ton of effort into building thematic pieces of Neriak and Halas and poo poo before the game collapsed.

I think it all happened right around the time SOE became Daybreak, received "independent investors" (Columbus Nova. Some relation to the Russian oligarchy.. They also donated to Trump around the same time :v:), and John Smedley left the company.