Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well no, the giants themselves are a giant wet fart. But the competitive quests/wonders are absolutely core gameplay, how the hell did they ship it without is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Eh, giants are hit or miss. But I think without them your unit variety is too limited. For most of the game, you have what, 4 units? Giants come late and they're kind of icebreaker units.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Just bought the endless legend collection, what is the most fun and overpowered faction to start as that isn’t elves?
I've been getting into Endless Legend recently and the Drakken are actually sneaky powerful. I slept on the Influence resource for a long time because I mostly played Civ and the Civ-equivalent (Diplomatic Points) is mostly useless. Drakken are basically set up to prioritize influence, which you can do incredibly useful things with. You can max out Empire Plan bonuses and get an easy 33% to science, dust, build time, etc. If you're fighting a losing war, you can spend influence to straight-up force a peace and end the war. Their units are also nice and punchy. They're not the boring diplomacy-focused faction that they appear to be.

Biggest tip - don't try to play it like Civ. It's not Civ. Be really picky about what research you do, as each tech drives up the research cost of every other tech. For instance - are you not going to do military things early on? Then don't research Tier 1 armor and weapons. It's not a prereq for Tier 2. Don't build every building in every city (though the basic Tier 1 buildings are all generally useful). Make your cities pretty specialized based on terrain.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 15, 2020

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Drakken are assholes and should be exterminated at all costs.

I've been playing with a Custom Craver faction today using the Vodyani Arks and the Craver depletion mechanic. It's actually really fun being a mobile locust swarm, stripping planets bare then moving on. You don't need to hold onto the lovely planets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meridian posted:

Grab the endless legend community patch.
What does this do?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
ELCP changes the balance and supposedly makes AI better.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What does this do?

It lets the AI engage with faction mechanics it wasn't able to before and tunes the balance on a ton of poo poo. Is very good.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Meridian posted:

It lets the AI engage with faction mechanics it wasn't able to before and tunes the balance on a ton of poo poo. Is very good.
Oh neat, I may have to give it a try. I've had the itch to play some more EL.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I fired up EL for the first time in a year and change and yep, it happened again:

Are the last two expansions (Inferno and Symbiosis) worth a buy? I usually play with all the DLCs on but I find that I won't really engage with the content unless I'm specifically the faction that can really take advantage of it. Like I played as the Broken Lords yesterday and I didn't use a single spy or go out to sea at all, granted I was playing on Normal so maybe that becomes a bigger deal at higher difficulties.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

I really enjoyed the Kapaku DLC (Inferno). They were a good addition to the other races and their storyline was quite bittersweet in a way you might not expect. Weirdly even though I own it and love Endless Legend I've not actually played Symbiosis at all.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Inferno has very non-transformative mechanics, in that dust storms happen only every 2-3 summers, and their mechanics are basically having your doom stack hoover up a bunch of bonuses and then go smash something. That and a new terrain type - nothing crazy like tempest did.

Symboisis is based around wooing a global superunit, I've not really engaged with it yet and need to install that community mod.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Both races are a worthwhile addition imo.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
I haven’t seen anyone mention the number one reason to install ELCP, which is that there’s an option to make units move faster across the map. Think of how much time you spend watching units slowly trudge from one place to another...

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I've gotten back into EL due to lockdown, and the Mykara are now my favourite faction. Being able to teleport around the map like tactical-drop-mushrooms is sweet.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Okay this might be a super cold take, tell me why I'm wrong. I like ES 1 more than ES 2. It's more atmospheric, and I like the combat better.

Why are my opinions so bad? How can I better enjoy ES 2?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm not gonna stop you. I still think the ES1 theme is the best Flybyno/Endless song so far. I think the ES1 Cravers are a better execution of the core concept (military empire that has to continuously outrun its own decay).

Not sure entirely why you'd enjoy the ES1 combat more but that's mostly because combat in ES1 and ES2 is such a small part of either game that I can't even really remember what actually changed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I didn't play ES1 with later patches, so let me know if this changed, but the biggest was they made the counters less hard, so in 2 you can fill your fleet up with beams and handle everyone just fine, but in ES1 the gods damned AI would hard counter any fleet you built in like 10 turns which was awful and made war the least fun I've ever had in a 4x. :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
All that I remember from ES1 was the AI waiting until you hit 'end turn' then running all their poo poo past your fleets. Thank god they fixed that.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I'm gonna try ES2 again. I dropped off when Stellaris came out, and I think Stellaris just keeps getting better. Appreciate the feedback fellas!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Turns out folks with steam endless space and folks with Gamepass PC endless space can't play with each other. So much for an MP game with the buds.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Me and some buddies in the Mapgoons discord have been interested in trying out ES2 and we did a quick game last night. None of us have really done multiplayer in it and I figure it’ll take a few weeks of games to get everyone to a place where we can play it competitively, but I’m very interested in getting a weekly game going and I figured this is the best place to shop around for interested people.

I’m a little curious about what the best galaxy gen settings should be. I’ve been going with the disc galaxy but ideally I’d like every player to start in their own constellation. We played on fast last night but it seems too fast so we’ll probably do normal speed in the future. If anyone’s got any tips I’d be grateful. We’re using all the DLC except awakening.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Demiurge4 posted:

Me and some buddies in the Mapgoons discord have been interested in trying out ES2 and we did a quick game last night. None of us have really done multiplayer in it and I figure it’ll take a few weeks of games to get everyone to a place where we can play it competitively, but I’m very interested in getting a weekly game going and I figured this is the best place to shop around for interested people.

I’m a little curious about what the best galaxy gen settings should be. I’ve been going with the disc galaxy but ideally I’d like every player to start in their own constellation. We played on fast last night but it seems too fast so we’ll probably do normal speed in the future. If anyone’s got any tips I’d be grateful. We’re using all the DLC except awakening.

I'd potentially be interested depending on the time. Can either DM me here or on Discord Lord Justice#2156.

As for map gen, unless there's a mod I'm not aware of, it kind of sucks. There's very little you can control, and the game desperately needs something like Civ's Really Advanced Setup, especially with Legendary Strat Balance. As for what the game actually gives you, I've found Ovoid with high galaxy density and high resources/anomalies works decently. To get around the map gen being terrible, I also use the Better Systems mod, which helps, but doesn't fix everything.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

So in Endless Legend, are the dwarfy dudes, the Dredge, just a real strong minor faction? An enemy empire came at my holy-hepped Vaulters and white bug with a handful of Dredge and their own black bug, and it felt like the Dredge were way scarier. They did a ton of damage and took way less than anything else I've fought, it was wild.

Unrelated: Dawn Officers look and feel pretty cool but boy they seem to die a lot.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
In terms of combat efficiency, things are either well balanced or not balanced at all: Ranged troops (not support! ranged dps!) are totally overpowered as they break the action/retaliation mechanic in half, but on the other hand all other troops types and variations seem well thought out. You probably just walked face-first into the dredge's AoE attacks and got owned. The dredge's have low initiative and only AoE on the attack, so if you punch them first you can control the flow of the fight.

Seems like you're playing the Vaulters, so you start with a ranged hero (with awesome army abilities) and have ranged troops out of the gate. Even if you don't cheese with them, I'd suggest putting a lot of value on the 'eliteness' of your troops. The levelups they receive don't look like much on paper, but there's a pretty dramatic effect in-fight for having stats that are just a smiiiidge higher than your opponents. If you keep your army stocked with strategic-resources weapons (especially as a Vaulter!) and try to keep the guys alive so they level, you'll quickly find yourself in charge of an impossible doomstack.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

How do I shut down enemy outposts as Vodyani? I've had a fleet parked over a system I want for most of the game now, blockading and shooting down every civilian ship I see. The outpost's timer has gone up to like 45 turns, but it's still at positive food.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's been years sine I've played as them, but I think you can just let the colony finish and just siphon all the pops off? Otherwise colony suppression is a really slow awkward thing, as the best you can do is block outside food shipments and hope the planet ends up with negative food/growth and collapses in 50 turns. The blockade is mostly useful to slow them down as you establish your own normal colony - if that's not your goal, let it finish and raze it using other means.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Starting my own as Vodyani isnt an option while theres another outpost. I ended up starting another game as Hissho and outposts are disappearing nearly instantly on blockade so I'm wondering if it might just be bugged.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
been playing endless space again for a change of pace and goddamn it's so much better than pretty much any other space 4x but also turn based multiplayer is so goddamn annoying and i basically never play alone and my friends don't want to hear about turn timers lmao

also been trying out some different empires again, but i always come back to UE. it's so good to play once you get the influence perpetual machine going

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Truga posted:

... turn based multiplayer is so goddamn annoying and i basically never play alone and my friends don't want to hear about turn timers lmao

a million times this.... feels bad man

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Does anyone know what's the "unknown message" that popped in Steam about?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

wologar posted:

Does anyone know what's the "unknown message" that popped in Steam about?

Nope, looks like some marketing reveal thing. Some other people have said Dungeons of the Endless has a conversation in the elevator about saloons, so it might be a sequel to that. or who knows :shrug:

For reference:

quote:

Hey guys? If we get out, and there's a saloon there, the first round is on me.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/392110/eventcomments/2971776551520574157
https://steamcommunity.com/app/289130/eventcomments/2970650651611636233
https://steamcommunity.com/app/249050/eventcomments/29683988518000
and
https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/anomaly/forums

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 6, 2020

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER3dOPx0ZH0

:eyepop:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oooh. I'm keen.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Spiritual successor to the original Dungeons of the Endless (which I've shamefully never beaten on Easy). I did think that the original would have been more popular with better graphical presentation, it's cool that they're doing this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I want Mass Effect but in the Endless universe.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Spent many hours playing the first one, this looks great.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Endless Dungeon, not to be confused for Dungeon of the Endless, the game it was based on. What is with game companies and their naming conventions nowadays?

Anyways, I really was getting into DotE for about 15 minutes or so until I hit my first roadblock, realized I was playing it wrong, and it's actually by default a tower defense game. I quit in disgust and never looked back.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's a tower defense rogue lite, yeah. I have quite enjoyed the time I spent with it. The writing is fun and the gameplay loop is solid. There are a couple risk reward tensions when it comes to spending and accruing resources. Makes for great tension between tactical and strategic decisions.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Eimi posted:

I want Mass Effect but in the Endless universe.

gently caress, throw in an Endless Legend Dragon Age while you're at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I decided to binge on ES2 again, but for some reason all my turns get stuck in "pending." Reloading the save fixes it, but I reeeeally don't want to do that every single turn!
Any thoughts on fixing this? I did a bit of googling and the devs response seems to be a resigned gallic shrug and "there are so many things that could cause this, it's impossible to know which one is making it happen in specific cases."