Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If one's running CoC in a modern era, would it be alright to expand "Library Use" to include general web searching and research online? Or would it be better to split it into an entirely new "Internet Search" skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
I'm always in favor of reflavoring existing skills rather than adding new ones. Someone good at "Library use" is good at researching things in their respective time period, and in the present day that means knowing how to find information on JSTOR or Scihub or what have you, as well as find physical reference texts.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Yeah, renaming "library use" to "research" might help overall to help players visualize looking things up in a variety of ways but having a whole separate skill really won't add much to the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DrSunshine posted:

If one's running CoC in a modern era, would it be alright to expand "Library Use" to include general web searching and research online? Or would it be better to split it into an entirely new "Internet Search" skill?
What they said. It would encompass web searching and such in a 2020 campaign anyway. (1990, 1995, maybe not yet.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There are too many skills in CoC and they're too narrow as it is, and Library Use is like the one skill you 100% know is going to come up and will always be worth investing in, so expanding it as such instead of adding a new skill is probably the right call.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I assume you’re using the modern sheet, not just updating every skill from the 1920s sheet, right? Because I’d just use “Computer Use” for internet searches.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I assume you’re using the modern sheet, not just updating every skill from the 1920s sheet, right? Because I’d just use “Computer Use” for internet searches.

I'd more sort of got the impression that Computer Use was more intended for, like, hackers and stuff, but I guess it could be expanded for that too. Thanks for the suggestions - I like the idea of renaming "Library Use" to "Research" as well.

EDIT: Has anyone had experience (as a Keeper or an investigator!) in a campaign set in the present day? How does everyone having a smart phone change the dynamics?

EDIT2: Though thinking about it, given how anxious people get when they lose their phones, run out of battery, or lose signal, it would be a great chance to lose some Sanity. :cthulhu:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 11, 2020

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

DrSunshine posted:

I'd more sort of got the impression that Computer Use was more intended for, like, hackers and stuff, but I guess it could be expanded for that too. Thanks for the suggestions - I like the idea of renaming "Library Use" to "Research" as well.

EDIT: Has anyone had experience (as a Keeper or an investigator!) in a campaign set in the present day? How does everyone having a smart phone change the dynamics?

EDIT2: Though thinking about it, given how anxious people get when they lose their phones, run out of battery, or lose signal, it would be a great chance to lose some Sanity. :cthulhu:

The Night Floors episode of RPPR has a lot of great technology fuckery: phone calls from yourself, websites that don’t exist, photos that only you can see. It’s really effective.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lumbermouth posted:

Does anyone have any info on the kinds of scenarios that have been written for the Japanese version of Call of Cthulhu? I’ve always thought it was interesting that it’s the most popular RPG in Japan, but most of the books and zines I’ve seen are replays (basically a published actual play.)

Kind of an old question, sorry, but the streams I've seen of vtubers playing CoC had them using stuff from the Cthulhu 2010 book. I've never seen any translation of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr34PJhyYrg

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Kind of an old question, sorry, but the streams I've seen of vtubers playing CoC had them using stuff from the Cthulhu 2010 book. I've never seen any translation of it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr34PJhyYrg

Not at all! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Cheers for the feedback! It turned into a freaking seven hour long(!) session so I am guessing that people had a good time haha. There will be no godzilla shoggoth since they managed to kill it with gas tubes from a kitchen and drive an exhibition car into it. On a ship. I skipped the taking half fire damage on the shoggoth since in the scenario it was a juvenile one created of cells from a real one which will hopefully kill some players in a later scenario 😈

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Imaginary Friend posted:

Cheers for the feedback! It turned into a freaking seven hour long(!) session so I am guessing that people had a good time haha. There will be no godzilla shoggoth since they managed to kill it with gas tubes from a kitchen and drive an exhibition car into it. On a ship. I skipped the taking half fire damage on the shoggoth since in the scenario it was a juvenile one created of cells from a real one which will hopefully kill some players in a later scenario 😈

How is the Swedish edition btw? It looks pretty amazing from the pictures I’ve seen. Almost makes me wanna learn Swedish.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Commonplace book idea because I think it could be a really funny yet horrible high concept session:

The investigators must successfully work with a Yithian (or similar) who interprets things through the lens of demonstrating the dark and doomed fate and cursed nature of Yithian. The investigators have way more skin in the game than the Yithian.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I thought a little about the discussion in FATAL & Friends about the desire to have the stuff March Technologies, MAJESTIC, and various other groups get up to have some kind of appeal to explain why anyone would want to pursue it in the first place.

The answer often seems to be some abstract measure of “utility”, like Resuscitated Casualties thrown into combat to solve a manpower crisis, which led me to think that maybe an obvious inspiration should be real-life things that are extremely dangerous but pursued nonetheless. To which my mind immediately went to radioactive materials and the chemical industries in general. Radioactivity tends to be extremely dangerous to the people who practice it, so we can maybe imagine that sorcerers are like Louis Slotin, trademark jeans and snakeskin boots, dropping the Demon Core during an experiment. Radioactivity also tends to linger, making nuclear accidents pose long-term danger to other people (the rifts in space-time left open to the creatures of the Dungeon Dimension?) On the societal side, major industrial accidents like Bhopal show what happens when dangerous industries are criminally mismanaged, and Chernobyl (as depicted in the miniseries) how single figures’ arrogance can spell disaster for many. Then there’s that theory that holds that leadened gasoline was the cause of the crime wave...

I think perhaps the best way to make it obvious why someone would do something so dangerous would be to let the players have access to the horrors, and then set it up so there are mechanical reasons why someone would want to use it. Which would perhaps suggest shallow dipping into dark magic and blasphemous technologies should be relatively safe, to encourage getting used to it, and encourage taking further advantage of the possibilities offered.

Which is something CoC really fails to facilitate, because spells have a per-casting SAN cost, which would drive any habitual sorcerer stark raving mad in a matter of days. I think finding some other downside to magic would really help: I keep coming back to the radiation analogy: what if using, or using in desperate conditions, magic causes magical radiation poisoning, and the high end spells are all some form of Summon Demon Core. If you prepare your spells and ground the thaumic resonator circuits and wear protective clothing, you don’t accumulate any doses — but if you’re in the middle of a fight and you need to wither someone’s limb right now, you’re probably increasing your risk of magical brain cancer by a percent or so.

Maybe integrate it closely with spells for raising the dead or healing mortal wounds: useful spells players will want to cast sooner rather than later, making preparation difficult?

I don’t know, I’m kind of rambling because the design space excites me and my brain is a gently caress.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Your ideas and your thoughts are good, even if they do not 1:1 translate into perfectly gameable ideas.

The main quirk here in the like, setting as written is that SAN isn't some kind of intrinsic resource, it's not like blood or SIZ or whatever. Casting spells costs SAN because you are basically forcing your brain to do gribbly poo poo that is potentially not actually very "healthy" for a human brain. A sorceror who runs himself down to SAN 0 doesn't lose the ability to cast magic, if anything he is now liberated because his only limit is his POW score.

So I think if you are using the COC rule set, what you want to be looking at is spending permanent POW - which is made easier in the latest rules since everything has been increased by 5x, meaning that people will put less value on each permanent point of POW (which in turn means they will be more willing to spend...) This then becomes a spiritual problem if you have some kind of technology to let people do this. If POW were real and quantifiable, and you could spend some of it to, for instance, resolve physical health conditions and so on - wouldn't you? For just a little?

And if it was scientifically doable and reproducible, wouldn't it perhaps become... expected?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Magic Points (and to a lesser extent POW) can be granted via items or perhaps “patrons,” if you catch my meaning. That necklace (or whatever) grants its user MP, but never it’s never explicitly said where it got the magic.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

LatwPIAT posted:

I thought a little about the discussion in FATAL & Friends about the desire to have the stuff March Technologies, MAJESTIC, and various other groups get up to have some kind of appeal to explain why anyone would want to pursue it in the first place.

The answer often seems to be some abstract measure of “utility”, like Resuscitated Casualties thrown into combat to solve a manpower crisis, which led me to think that maybe an obvious inspiration should be real-life things that are extremely dangerous but pursued nonetheless. To which my mind immediately went to radioactive materials and the chemical industries in general. Radioactivity tends to be extremely dangerous to the people who practice it, so we can maybe imagine that sorcerers are like Louis Slotin, trademark jeans and snakeskin boots, dropping the Demon Core during an experiment. Radioactivity also tends to linger, making nuclear accidents pose long-term danger to other people (the rifts in space-time left open to the creatures of the Dungeon Dimension?) On the societal side, major industrial accidents like Bhopal show what happens when dangerous industries are criminally mismanaged, and Chernobyl (as depicted in the miniseries) how single figures’ arrogance can spell disaster for many. Then there’s that theory that holds that leadened gasoline was the cause of the crime wave...

I think perhaps the best way to make it obvious why someone would do something so dangerous would be to let the players have access to the horrors, and then set it up so there are mechanical reasons why someone would want to use it. Which would perhaps suggest shallow dipping into dark magic and blasphemous technologies should be relatively safe, to encourage getting used to it, and encourage taking further advantage of the possibilities offered.

Which is something CoC really fails to facilitate, because spells have a per-casting SAN cost, which would drive any habitual sorcerer stark raving mad in a matter of days. I think finding some other downside to magic would really help: I keep coming back to the radiation analogy: what if using, or using in desperate conditions, magic causes magical radiation poisoning, and the high end spells are all some form of Summon Demon Core. If you prepare your spells and ground the thaumic resonator circuits and wear protective clothing, you don’t accumulate any doses — but if you’re in the middle of a fight and you need to wither someone’s limb right now, you’re probably increasing your risk of magical brain cancer by a percent or so.

Maybe integrate it closely with spells for raising the dead or healing mortal wounds: useful spells players will want to cast sooner rather than later, making preparation difficult?

I don’t know, I’m kind of rambling because the design space excites me and my brain is a gently caress.

This really reminds me of Charles Stross's Laundry series, especially the earlier stuff. If you try to do it the hard way for too long, you start to suffer literal brain damage, so modern computational sorcery does its best to avoid ever running spells through the naked human mind.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

LeSquide posted:

This really reminds me of Charles Stross's Laundry series, especially the earlier stuff. If you try to do it the hard way for too long, you start to suffer literal brain damage, so modern computational sorcery does its best to avoid ever running spells through the naked human mind.

The Laundry series is lovely and it does some very interesting things with the cost of magical power (and taking the edge off the baked-in xenophobia through heterogenous opposition to extinction) and I had the brain-eating parasites and V-symbiotes in mind while I was rambling—however, I didn’t want to focus too much on just Laundry-fying Delta Green, and I wanted to outline some broad thematic approaches.

Kinda way too much in love with my metaphor of mythos magic as radiation and rogue sorcerers as Louis Slotin, though. :shobon:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Here's a possibility on how to get more of that lingering invisible taint goodness going on. Perhaps with some high order tricks or just one weird trick (everyone HATES it!), you can actually draw upon the ambient power of a particular location in a temporally transgressive way! That gives you a bunch of power to do whatever you want, and there's no downside! ... For you, anyway: because instead it creates a tainted zone that attempts to redress the distortion by sucking POW out of everything in the immediate area.

Kind of like the Colour out of Space and what it did to the alpacas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JY89ZxVqEg Speaking of the Colour, here's some Japanese metal on the topic.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

Which is something CoC really fails to facilitate, because spells have a per-casting SAN cost, which would drive any habitual sorcerer stark raving mad in a matter of days.
IDK if you quoted me because there's a specific post of mine you're responding to. But on the subject of casting magic "sustainably" there was a great post about this on the Elfmaids and Octopi blog

Elfmaids and Octopi posted:

Part of this evolved from having run several extended Coc campaigns which left the party with high sanity scores, artifacts aplenty, money and self published spell books for dummies in their secret clubhouse. They ran bootleg hooch through a gate from Boston to England (using donkeys to pass through the gate to minimize sanity loss). They had a lethal arsenal of mausers, trench guns, browning automatic rifles and tommy guns. A gangster character had never read a mythos tome yet had his many teachers had mastered and passed onto him every binding and banishment spell before going themselves went mad. At one point on their voyage to Ralyeh, I had them battle the many characters who had become monsters and madmen over the years. This kind of resembled a superheroic battle scene. With star vampires, byakee and creatures which had once been investigators. With shotguns loaded with elder sign slugs and powder of ibn ghazi. Even a great race lightning gun. When enough investigators survive long enough they will often amass enough firepower, magic and worldly resources to terrify any state authorities.
Part of it is knowing how to cheese the SAN system, like using animals to carry goods through the portal instead of going yourself. But remember also that SAN, POW and other resources used for spellcasting are renewable in both CoC and DG, provided you have downtime to spend replenishing them.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nessus posted:

because instead it creates a tainted zone that attempts to redress the distortion by sucking POW out of everything in the immediate area.

Defiler-Mages, ho!

mellonbread posted:

IDK if you quoted me because there's a specific post of mine you're responding to.

Just tagged you because I seemed to recall you were part of the original discussion in FATAL & Friends concerning the need/desire to have MAJESTIC/March Technologies not be completely out of their minds to even conceive of trying to use the mythos to their own ends.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Maybe that's the real purpose of the Boston Dynamics robots. They can go through the Terror Zone just fine!

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

Just tagged you because I seemed to recall you were part of the original discussion in FATAL & Friends concerning the need/desire to have MAJESTIC/March Technologies not be completely out of their minds to even conceive of trying to use the mythos to their own ends.
MAJESTIC and March have already hit upon the best way to "weaponize" the Mythos: put layers of expendable proxies between yourself and the danger. Let some methhead adrenaline junkie fighter pilot fly the experimental UFO. Let a paralyzed Gulf War veteran try the experimental spine regrower. All while raking in the profits yourself. It's no different from getting low wage goons to do dangerous jobs in real life. If you offer the right compensation there will be someone desperate enough to take the job, even if you tell them outright it'll take years off their life.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 31, 2020

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Just bought masks of nyarlathotep. Going to run it on foundry. Anyone have any experience with that and must have modules?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

barkbell posted:

Just bought masks of nyarlathotep. Going to run it on foundry. Anyone have any experience with that and must have modules?

Never heard of Foundry but have fun! I'm runnin Masks right now and it's a fuckin blast

I'm reading a really bad suspense mystery novel from 1985 set in Egypt for inspiration and phreow, I've never wanted to steer my investigators away from Egypt so I don't have to slog through this book.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
I started Masks a month ago. We're heading towards the end of the Peru prequel, but the NYC section is terrifying. I don't think I've ever GM'd something with so many balls in the air.

For whatever VTT, just use the snipping tool or command/shift/4 (mac) to slip out the clues and maps from the handout booklet pdf, which has the unmarked player facing maps.

I also highly recommend listening to the HP Lovecraft Historical Society's "Dark Adventure Theatre" retro-radio-play of the scenario. It gives a sense of how it all fits together.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Cool thanks. I just got the box set today. Really excited about it

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

https://sites.google.com/view/kevinhamdeltagreen/home

Put my 'done' stuff up in a better place than randomly in google docs. In case folks want to see.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Elendil004 posted:

Put my 'done' stuff up in a better place than randomly in google docs. In case folks want to see.
Missing Orne Library, Hound Ate My Homework, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Nice job Elendil.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mellonbread posted:

Missing Orne Library, Hound Ate My Homework, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting

good looking out, I'll add those

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So I finally got set up on Foundry VTT. I am running Masks of Nyarlathotep. I downloaded the free player handout pdf provided by Chaosium, and I'm wondering how to import those assets into Foundry? Do I need another program to basically "cut them out" of the pdf and then import those as images?

Also, how do people normally run VTT Cthulhu stuff? I'm familiar with DND normally showing some sort of map either a city map, regional map, or battle map as the centerpiece on the board. However, with Cthulhu that doesn't happen often. Should I display character portraits as the main thing? There aren't a ton of maps I feel like (I've only ran about 4 sessions of CoC across two scenarios)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I usually find an appropriate background for major set pieces or appropriate mood art, then fill in the rest with handouts and NPC portraits. Given Cthulhu usually has more handouts than your average rpg, it manages to do the heavy lifting in place of maps.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

barkbell posted:

So I finally got set up on Foundry VTT. I am running Masks of Nyarlathotep. I downloaded the free player handout pdf provided by Chaosium, and I'm wondering how to import those assets into Foundry? Do I need another program to basically "cut them out" of the pdf and then import those as images?

Also, how do people normally run VTT Cthulhu stuff? I'm familiar with DND normally showing some sort of map either a city map, regional map, or battle map as the centerpiece on the board. However, with Cthulhu that doesn't happen often. Should I display character portraits as the main thing? There aren't a ton of maps I feel like (I've only ran about 4 sessions of CoC across two scenarios)

There is a module for Foundry, PDFoundry, that will make it easier to upload the pdfs, but it doesn't allow you to to have them as clickable Journal entries on the game mat. I use that method for larger documents or for when I want the players (or myself) to have access to a form fillable pdf. It works pretty decently. Otherwise, I either use an online program to convert the pdf to a jpg or I use the Windows snipping tool to just cut smaller parts out and add them to the Journal entries.

I generally have just ended up having a map of the city or area that the players are in and using journal entries as map pins to show locations and have players move their tokens around as they travel from place to place. We haven't made it to New York in Masks yet but for Peru I just had different scenes for the major locations and a general map for when they went "off script", so to speak.

The modules I'm using are;
Backgroundless Pins
Dice So Nice
Dungeondraft Importer
FXMaster
GM Notes
Hey, Wait
PDFoundry
PinCushion
PinFixer
Pings
Selective Show
Soundboard by Blitz
Theater Inserts

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've been using Roll20, and I have a lot of fun searching for what I call "ambiance photos". So if they're tooling around NYC I had a page of 3/4 generic photos of NYC, then when they traveled to Sing Sing I a separate "map" for those photos, just kind of scenery photos.

Finding aerial views of random things is hard as gently caress, though! For Misr House in London I probably spent almost half an hour looking for aerial views of a country estate manour just so I could use it as the actual map with a grid for when they try to sneak in or just dynamite the gently caress out of the place.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Google maps is usually ok enough res for roll 20. If anyone ever needs something in Massachusetts or something in MA that can serve as stand in ping me I can do it in a few minutes at 15 or 30cm res.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

Google maps is usually ok enough res for roll 20.

Fuuuuuuck me, I never would've thought of this. Thank you, that's a game changer!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I :spergin:'d so hard I used Google Street View for parts of my Delta Green campaign because I needed everything to be set in a real town or city. "Okay, this storage place will be where the Green Box was, this house looks like it could be the suspect's place, I'll put the cult's old church in this empty lot..."

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Kavak posted:

I :spergin:'d so hard I used Google Street View for parts of my Delta Green campaign because I needed everything to be set in a real town or city. "Okay, this storage place will be where the Green Box was, this house looks like it could be the suspect's place, I'll put the cult's old church in this empty lot..."

I have had a moment where players found the real sheriffs office I was using in a game and saw the adjoining building was abandoned, stalked the realtor, stole the key, busted in and broke through the wall of the sheriffs to get evidence of their crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How does everybody keep track of progress in reading Mythos Tomes? My investigators now have 6 spoopy books and like.. 15 loving scrolls, and I'm starting to run into a bit of trouble juggling them. I've been using a spreadsheet currently but welcome any tips and tricks!