Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hell if I know. I have a half dozen confirmed horror stories about living adjacent to the amish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rhyno posted:

The only thing I dislike about Menards is the one closest to me is frequented by the Amish who are throwing a religious fit about masking and also horse poop in the parking lot.

That and whoever designed that parking lot should be shot.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Extension cord chat:

https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/1336134415336964096?s=20

:argh:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

the spyder posted:

I got the coolest loving gift. I'm going to start working on my diesel again and this will be a lifesaver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIavHs2n7ew

"Please read the manual before using the inductor unit... We don't need that."
"You're Tim the toolman Taylor and I'm Al Borland."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Aw hell naw

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

https://twitter.com/thaddeusxmachin/status/1336407114122555392?s=21

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Wasabi the J posted:

"Please read the manual before using the inductor unit... We don't need that."
"You're Tim the toolman Taylor and I'm Al Borland."

The big thing the manual says it to not trigger the inductor for more than 30 seconds at a time. A reasonable warning in my opinion. Firing up that bad boy for more than 30 seconds at a time means you're either biting off more than you can chew or you're going to turn your stubborn fastener into a molten puddle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coupedeville posted:

The big thing the manual says it to not trigger the inductor for more than 30 seconds at a time.

That almost seems like a thing that could be built into the power unit. Or put on a sticker.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
"Holy poo poo, that's awesome!"

*checks price*

:eng99:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I used to do electricity distribution at a music festival in Europe, which amounted to lugging out power distros into a field and pulling three-phase cables to them so stages, food trucks, vendors, campground lighting et c could get power. The bigger stages had their own generators - diesel engine in a shipping container producing 450 kVA for the sound and lighting. Our festival had 2 of these shared between 2 stages. Now, you don't always need full power if all you're doing is focusing lights - powering up a light, moving it so it's pointing in the right direction, and if it's a moving light recording it's position in the lighting console - you just need power to run a few lights. So these generators have a "shore power" connection in the form of a 3-phase 63A connection to the grid. If you're not drawing more than say, 32-40ish amps the generator will shut down to save fuel.

So I'm sitting around, relaxing, waiting for the next crisis (someone trips a GFCI, a food truck pulls too much from L1 somewhere - it's always L1) and one of the lighting people from the big stage comes by.

:) "Hey, do you happen have a 3-phase 63A male-male jumper lying around?"
:sun: "Sounds dangerous, what the gently caress are you doing?"
:) "I know it's against code and dangerous, but we need one to backfeed a dimmer rack for an hour to finish programming. Generator's lost shore power, the generator techs are asleep and it's inputs are Powerlock so i can't just hook up a 63A feed to it"
:sun: ":shrug: Cable and 63A plugs are in the shed, tools are over there. I'm going to go get dinner and when I come back i'll expect to find the parts in their original place"

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
On the bright side, if the guy killed himself with it, he’d probably be dead before he even realized he touched the cable.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Motronic posted:

That almost seems like a thing that could be built into the power unit. Or put on a sticker.

Hey man I'm not a product engineer I just turn wrenches and make bad posts on the internet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Motronic posted:

"Made in USA" seems to be the only stickers the comments cared about.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Induction technology is awesome. We use it for heating up bearings (and other press fit items like gears) all the time. The control we can now get and the built in automatic demagnetize cycle makes it kick rear end.

Magnetizing your bearings are not great idea as you can probably imagine and demag was not a feature on a lot of the early ones :saddowns:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

coupedeville posted:

Hey man I'm not a product engineer I just turn wrenches and make bad posts on the internet.

Can you make this into a patch please.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It's that time of year, post your ideas for tool gift ideas I can put on my amazon wish list!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

boxen posted:

"Holy poo poo, that's awesome!"

*checks price*

:eng99:

Out of curiosity, I found a $200 magnetic induction heater wand on AliExpress. It comes with 10 different coils!

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

opengl128 posted:

It's that time of year, post your ideas for tool gift ideas I can put on my amazon wish list!
Let me look up the most counterfeited tools on Amazon and get back to you.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The new Makita impact driver bits seem cool and I want some.

I've been kinda getting into woodworking, so my list is things like router bits and drill guides.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Safety Dance posted:

Out of curiosity, I found a $200 magnetic induction heater wand on AliExpress. It comes with 10 different coils!

Yep, I was just about to link it: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb201603_

If I get around to putting headers or turbo on the Escalade, that'll be the first purchase in the project.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can also DIY an induction heater for maybe :10bux::10bux: in parts. Although at Ali prices it might be justifiable even though I'm only wrenching on the car once or twice per year.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

coupedeville posted:

The big thing the manual says it to not trigger the inductor for more than 30 seconds at a time. A reasonable warning in my opinion. Firing up that bad boy for more than 30 seconds at a time means you're either biting off more than you can chew or you're going to turn your stubborn fastener into a molten puddle.

Can't be tight if it's liquid...until it somehow brazes itself to everything in the area.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

opengl128 posted:

*looks over recent tool purchases*

Starrett Mercury Filled Plumb Bob

Hammer of Thor

Soviet screwdriver for prying and pounding

Yankee screwdriver

Bell Linesmans Hammer

As far as actually useful stuff, home depot has some good sales on assorted Milwaukee impact bits and drill bits. German tools are always nice, such as the Wera laser etched screwdrivers or Knipex pliers. Decent tapes never go amiss either, can't seem to have too many, and this time of year there's good sales on stuff like Dewalt Fatmax. I've always been a bucket boss fan, but I recently picked up a Tool Tote which has really been quite handy to cart around the stuff I grab 95% of the time. Frees up the bucket for chucking in task specific tools and random stuff I'm working on. I couldn't find any of my drive guides the other day, so I bought a three pack to throw in my bit set, and a set of new milwaukee holiday sale titanium drill bits to replace the ones I've boogered over the past year. Locking socket extenders are great if you don't have them. Recently bought this 4' level set on a really good sale from HD. 25$ is a freaking steal. Gearwrench 120xp flex head ratchets are suuuper nice too, and I'm a big fan of the ratcheting wrenches which you can almost always find dirt cheap anymore. Paint pens, blue masking tape, brother labelmaker, plastic razors, little disposable stuff like that makes great stocking stuffers too, or sawzall blades, hole saws, that kind of thing

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

I’ll admit it took me entirely too long to figure out why this was a bad idea. It took the baby comment for me to figure it out.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

My favorite thing about these is nobody would "need" them if they just plugged their lights in as they put them up. This will also let you know things like if your extension cord is too short, if a fuse or bulb needs to be replaced to make the set work, or if the colors don't match.

But no, everyone wants to be Clark Griswold and dramatically plug them all in at once. Well guess what, it didn't work for him either.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's why god invented pre-wired trees with a power bus.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
https://www.tekton.com/3-8-inch-drive-folding-quick-release-ratchet-srh35104

Not sure if I can resist. It's so neat.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Oh god I want one

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Reminds me of the Nepro offset Ratchet I’ve been lusting after

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Holy crap that offset ratchet is expensive. Explains why you're lusting and not buying.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need a tool cabinet, and someone offered me this Husky recently. I had already been looking at the usual Harbor Freight choices, with a preference for the 44"x22" cabinet if I had room in my garage, or the 26" one if I was low on room. Is it dumb that I prefer the HF ones (and the fact that you can easily expand them) over Husky? Anything else I should consider at that price point?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

When you said "offered" do you mean at a deep discount/free? Because if so I'd take a high-price item like that at a good discount over a full price one any day

It really boils down to personal preference/who you trust to QA their tools coming in from China better.

HF offers a 90 day warranty on their product. HD offers 3 years on that particular Husky product. I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of all the Husky tools I've ever bought, HF ranges from "unbeatable for the price" to "I might as well have paid them to poo poo in my hand" in terms of quality, but their tool chests are supposedly one of the better products they offer.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

You can also DIY an induction heater for maybe :10bux::10bux: in parts. Although at Ali prices it might be justifiable even though I'm only wrenching on the car once or twice per year.

"Hold my beer while I melt this nut off." Grabs an extension cord and coat hanger.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've got a big rear end husky tool chest and I'm pretty happy with it. Fit the space I had and holds a shitload of tools. Bearings seem fine thus far. I don't wheel mine around or use the top as a workbench since it's all metal though, so can't comment on that aspect. When I was looking, there was nothing near the size for the price and it seems like a quality box.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

I need a tool cabinet, and someone offered me this Husky recently. I had already been looking at the usual Harbor Freight choices, with a preference for the 44"x22" cabinet if I had room in my garage, or the 26" one if I was low on room. Is it dumb that I prefer the HF ones (and the fact that you can easily expand them) over Husky? Anything else I should consider at that price point?

I have both the 26" Husky and US General boxes sitting next to each other in the shop. The US General is a way better built box.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Ziploc posted:

Holy crap that offset ratchet is expensive. Explains why you're lusting and not buying.

https://ktcos.jp/urushi/index.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:stare: 470,000 yen to USD = $4,500.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

When you said "offered" do you mean at a deep discount/free? Because if so I'd take a high-price item like that at a good discount over a full price one any day

It's a brand new Husky that will get returned if I don't want it, but I can get it delivered for $50 off list price, so $25 cheaper than the HF one.

Suburban Dad posted:

I've got a big rear end husky tool chest and I'm pretty happy with it. Fit the space I had and holds a shitload of tools. Bearings seem fine thus far. I don't wheel mine around or use the top as a workbench since it's all metal though, so can't comment on that aspect. When I was looking, there was nothing near the size for the price and it seems like a quality box.

ThinkFear posted:

I have both the 26" Husky and US General boxes sitting next to each other in the shop. The US General is a way better built box.

poo poo, conflicting recommendations. Part of it is I'm not sure if I want the flat work bench top or if I want the ability to add on an upper cabinet (and side cabinets) in the future. I'm losing my large work bench in the garage to make room for my power rack, so while ordinarily I'd go for the ability to expand, it may be nice to have a flat space in there.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had the 26" red box for 7 years now with no issues. 3 moves and dozens of reorganizations, regular use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It sounds like they're pretty similar in terms of functionality, so $25 less than the HF (presumably before shipping, which isn't much, but still, $7, so $32 total?) sounds like the choice.

Elviscat: I finally actually ordered the welder, and I'm not going to lie, there was a moment spent looking at the total where I debated going with your recommendation to buy the cheaper one :D