Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Precambrian posted:

...I do wonder, though, if Martin envisioned an ending like the one we saw, but the point of it being a lot more ironic and darker—Bran is a weak king, the kingdoms are now much more independent of royal authority, and Westeros is falling apart. An entire region secedes, the region with the king's own family, at the first chance, the Citadel in Oldtown doesn't even consider the Hand of the King to be someone they even have to pretend to homage, and the other offices of small council have basically been looted by other people who were on the winning team. Factor in the Iron Bank almost certainly going bankrupt from the Baratheon losses, you're gonna have ripple effects across the economy, with less trade and travel driving a dark age.

Yeah I fully expected a much darker ending where this giant spasm of violence and destruction right before a Winter hits basically leads to the continent being severely (if not totally) depopulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

a show written by George RR Martin might have remembered that just because you kill three members of the Tyrell family it doesn't mean that their huge army in the capital ceases to exist

or like, same with taking out Ellaria Sand. If doing that causes Dorne to become a non-factor it'd be nice to know why

I am absolutely positive it’s because they got bored.

I really think that 90% of the difference between a good show and a bad show is just attention to detail. Mandalorian is full of all kinds of little Easter eggs, even Bob’s Burgers of all things never misses any continuity stuff. Every time they have a shot of the inside of Bob’s appalling bathroom I chuckle. When people get tired of the show and start having the B team working on major parts of it is when the cracks show, and you get water bottles in frame cause nobody gives a gently caress to triple check the set and make tiny adjustments cause they just don’t care enough, and absolutely everything starts sliding.

It’s also exactly why the Star Wars sequels are so bad - absolutely nothing that happens in the ST happens for a reason, so when they show you that whatsherface has Luke’s old lightsaber you feel like there’s a story there, because the line in the script says “there’s a real good story there,” but you’re wrong. There is no story, not even a hand wave. You get the explanation from Disney Twitter or a tie in novel years later. It’s been five years and I forget if they explained that yet.

I can forgive it if there’s at least a hand wave to show they didn’t just totally forget, but GOT S1-4 is basically a lesson on unintended consequences that happen when you try and murder your opponents and then later on poo poo just kinda happens for whatever general plot reason. Or so it sounds from the synopsis. I checked out later in S5 cause watching Arya’s arc I thought: “boy i really have no idea what’s going on here... it’s cause they don’t fuckin know either, isn’t it?”

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't know, Cersei was always one of the most relatable characters in terms of motivation and reasoning. She's more than a little vengeful, but at the same time, points for being thorough in the way other characters aren't, that comes back to bite them.

Thats only in the show. The show really plays up her caring about her kids as her ~defining character trait~ but in the books she only really likes Joffrey, considers Tommen a disappointment and barely thinks of Myrcella at all. In the books Cersei's arc after Tywin's death is becoming more and more paranoid, stupid and insane. She outright rapes a woman at one point. Cersei is the one in the books going through a descent into madness. Dany's biggest turmoil so far has been diarrhea.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Post your favorite moments from Game of Thrones Season 9

- Arya in her boat realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and does a U turn
- Jon Snow realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and does a U turn at the gate
- Grey worm realizes "wait, where tf are we going" and does a U turn
- The dragon realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and does a U turn
- Bran's lords all realize "wait, wtf am I doing" and each do a U turn out of the alliance
- Sansa realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and divorces her husband, Tyrion

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 11, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
More great S9 moments

- The Lord of Light realizes "wait, wtf am I doing"
- Everyone who received Varys' letters about Jon's identity realizes "wait, wtf does this mean"
- Sam realizes "wait, wtf am I doing, Jon left me to die" and goes back to play with all that cool magic stuff he never used
- Bran realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and does a U turn in time to a better alternate history. or controls things better than birds
- Davos realizes "wait, wtf am I doing, Tyrion killed my son, also I have a wife" and leaves
- Golden Company realizes "wait, wtf are we doing" and does a U turn
- The Dothraki army realize "wait, wtf are we doing" and do a U turn back into the grave, or at least to anywhere but KL
- Daario+slavers realize "wait, wtf am I doing" and re-institute mass slavery
- Oberyn's other sons realize "wait, wtf are we doing"
- Children of the forest realize "wait, wtf"
- Warlocks realize "wait, wtf"
- Faceless men realize "wait, wtf"
- Red priestesses who were to support Dany realize "wait, wtf"
- The vast majority who had a religion before S8 realizes "wait, wtf"
- White Walker baby realizes "wait, wtf"
- Benjen Stark realizes "wait, wtf"
- The seasons cycle realizes "wait, wtf" and resumes
- Melisandre realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and gets back up
- Tyrion looks around at the people he's hired and realizes "wait, wtf" and does a U turn outta there

e: So much potential for a season 9.

hosed up and wrote 8 in both posts at first, how many seasons did this poo poo show have again

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 11, 2020

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

I stand by my fervent belief that Mad Queen Dany was never the original plan.

In the books GRRM specifically has described Dany and Cersei as foils and one of them actually is showing signs of Aerys-esque fire-philia and it's not the one that's (allegedly) his daughter.

You can't have two women gaining power in different ways be foils and have them both become fire-obsessed monsters. That's kind of a problematic message to send.

Dude it's gurm

e: he originally wanted jon, arya, and tyrion to gently caress together. come on.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Cersei got more characterization scenes than Dany did so it's weird to blame the actress...

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Piell posted:

Cersei didn't have any allies she just blew up her enemies and everyone was ok with all their family members getting killed and just sat around letting her be queen

She had allies like the zombie murdergiant, and the guy who knows how to make zombie murdergiants.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Don't forget skinny Liev Schreiber pirate!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Happy Thread posted:

Post your favorite moments from Game of Thrones Season 9

- Arya in her boat realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and does a U turn
- Jon Snow realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and does a U turn at the gate
- Grey worm realizes "wait, where tf are we going" and does a U turn
- The dragon realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and does a U turn
- Bran's lords all realize "wait, wtf am I doing" and each do a U turn out of the alliance
- Sansa realizes "wait, wtf am I doing" and divorces her husband, Tyrion

As soon as Sansa declared an independent North then Yara and Dornish Prince (and maybe Man 1 and Man 2) should have done the same

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Pattonesque posted:

As soon as Sansa declared an independent North then Yara and Dornish Prince (and maybe Man 1 and Man 2) should have done the same

They forgot they wanted independence. I'm not sure if I'm serious or joking.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

That's my exact thinking when she attacked that grain caravan or whatever in the final season.

Remember when it was a big deal that a long winter was coming, and they only had enough grain for an average one? It sure is good we decided never to mention that again!

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Bleck posted:

I understand the explanation that people thought Dany was the hero because her warmongering and slave-driving were often accompanied by stings of music in major keys, or whatever. I just don't, you know, accept it.

People thought she was the hero because in every sense of traditional storytelling, they portrayed her as the hero. That's why everyone looked forward to Daenerys coming to westeros to put the gross nobles in their place and to fight the night king with her dragons.

On another note, isn't Bran immortal? The other three eyed raven had lived for a thousand years. Will Bran just be king forever now? Or did they put a time limit on his reign? I seriously can't remember the scene

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 11, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

massive spider posted:

I was wondering what would have made for a more thematically appropriate ending today and considered that, in a show basically about kings, lords, nobility, power, the feudal system and how all those things aren't as shiny and noble as they're portrayed in most fantasy - really the only ending that would have brought things to the right conclusion would have involved half the cast marching to the guillotine.

Say about GRRM what you will but he does a good job of repeatedly showing in the background that all the nobles' machinations are just absolutely terrible for the common folk and that, as bad as things might occasionally get for an individual noble, it's the common folk who do 99% of the suffering and dying and it doesn't even register as a thing, let alone a thing that matters, to even the most sympathetic protagonist nobles.

So yes, the only happy ending possible would be a full-on revolution by the common folk and the violent overthrow and destruction of each and every one of the noble houses.

The show does a much worse job of occasionally peeking behind the curtain and asking the viewer: "Are you sure the whole game of thrones plot is actually the most important story unfolding right now? Or is it all the bullshit power games of the 1%, none of whom you should root for, while a much greater tragedy is unfolding in front of your eyes if you only care to look?"

None of us would be even a lesser noble if we lived in the world of GoT. We'd be peasant #26 having our whole village burned down, and everyone we've ever known and cared about raped and tortured to death for fun by the Mountain and his squad of reavers to do a bit of strategic warfare.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 11, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Collapsing Farts posted:

People thought she was the hero because in every sense of traditional storytelling, they portrayed her as the hero.

Honestly, this is my metatextual interpretation of what the story is supposed about - it's not about the abuse of the powerful, but rather, the lengths to which people will go to enable that abuse. I think they managed to kind of do it accidentally with the show, but with the books, I absolutely believe that "Daenerys is very obviously, ethically, the villain of this story, but people are desperate to believe otherwise" was at least partially the intent.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There's a quote by GRRM that Danys arc is inspired by the end of Aragorns arc in LotR and how Tolkien just says aragorn became king and "ruled wisely". And he's always wondered what the gently caress that's supposed to mean, so were the orcs re educated or just genocided or what.

So yeah Dany sucking at being ruler is absolutely commentary on chosen king narratives.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm starting to suspect in the books Tyrion is the villain of the story. Because "men create their own monsters" seems like a very GRRM esque point to make. Tyrion is treated like a monster by so many people he becomes one.

Seriously in the books Tyrion straight up rapes a girl, feels bad, and then immediately does it again.

The books has a loaded chekov's gun called basilisk blood that induces savage violent madness. Tyrion at his trial said he wished he had enough poison to kill all the assholes there. He finds enough poison... just a few drops in a single glass of wine.

Tyrion doses Dany with basilisk blood and she goes nuts and burns the city. Tyrion convinces someone to kill her on grounds of "she's nuts" to save his own rear end because when it wears off she will kill him once she realizes what he did.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm starting to suspect in the books Tyrion is the villain of the story. Because "men create their own monsters" seems like a very GRRM esque point to make. Tyrion is treated like a monster by so many people he becomes one.

Seriously in the books Tyrion straight up rapes a girl, feels bad, and then immediately does it again.

The books has a loaded chekov's gun called basilisk blood that induces savage violent madness. Tyrion at his trial said he wished he had enough poison to kill all the assholes there. He finds enough poison... just a few drops in a single glass of wine.

Tyrion doses Dany with basilisk blood and she goes nuts and burns the city. Tyrion convinces someone to kill her on grounds of "she's nuts" to save his own rear end because when it wears off she will kill him once she realizes what he did.

Why do you keep pushing this? Is it so important to you that Danaerys remains a pure white-savior slay queen? I mean I can understand I guess, I'm way too invested in a Jaime redemption arc but I never got the stanning for Dany.

I prefer the old lady who merced Khal Drogo.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It'd be cooler if no one "went nuts" and abritrarily started doing "nutty things" because that's pretty boring tbh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Piell posted:

Cersei didn't have any allies she just blew up her enemies and everyone was ok with all their family members getting killed and just sat around letting her be queen

The show had fallen off a cliff after season 4 but blowing up the sept made me think we might go back to Good Season stuff with political consequences but then they kinda forgot that such an act would turn the Lannisters into pariahs and they just hosed over the house with the largest army and all the food?

TOOT BOOT posted:

Cersei got more characterization scenes than Dany did so it's weird to blame the actress...

This would be true if we didn't have her other work to judge her by.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

The simplest answer is that I've got a lot of theories as to the endgame in the books that I legitimately believe. Namely, that Dany is Rhaegar’s daughter and Jon's sister, at least half.

Namely I believe Dany contributes to the destruction of KL before she ever heads North and that she is killed for it and gets resurrected. She ends the story redeeming herself. Yadda yadda to go north you must journey south and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow.

Most of my theory crafting is based on that literal belief and my inability to reconcile what Dany does in the show- which is inexcusable and monstrous- with the idea that she will be resurrected willingly by any of the heroes.

A big part of why I think the show ending was garbage is that they reversed the order of the book endgame.

And as a goon I really want my theories to be true so that I can be a colossal smug rear end in a top hat about it on the internet.

Dany being my favorite character is just a bonus that paired with my overwhelming hatred of tragedy makes me really really want her to get a better ending than "her Satanic majesty."

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Ok fair Sky, thanks for the explanation. I look forward to being dunked on smugly if you turn out to be right :)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

An insane mind posted:

Why do you keep pushing this? Is it so important to you that Danaerys remains a pure white-savior slay queen? I mean I can understand I guess, I'm way too invested in a Jaime redemption arc but I never got the stanning for Dany.

I prefer the old lady who merced Khal Drogo.
TBH I do think the main reason some people were so strongly supportive of Dany (in spite of both her acting and writing being consistently terrible) is that she appeals to a certain kind of liberal interventionist fantasy where you go abroad and fix foreign, primitive cultures by killing a bunch of people. The fact that those people got owned is the only positive thing about season 8, to me.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Groovelord Neato posted:

The show had fallen off a cliff after season 4 but blowing up the sept made me think we might go back to Good Season stuff with political consequences but then they kinda forgot that such an act would turn the Lannisters into pariahs and they just hosed over the house with the largest army and all the food?

This would be true if we didn't have her other work to judge her by.

The show also implied that those religious fanatics basically had an army in the city made from the poor and frustrated. Pretty sure those guys wouldn't just go "oh ok guess we'll stop being angry fanatics now" after some of them blew up in the sept. Basically, that move by Cersei should have buried her under a mountain of consequences but in the show she just became undisputed ruler

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Collapsing Farts posted:

The show also implied that those religious fanatics basically had an army in the city made from the poor and frustrated. Pretty sure those guys wouldn't just go "oh ok guess we'll stop being angry fanatics now" after some of them blew up in the sept. Basically, that move by Cersei should have buried her under a mountain of consequences but in the show she just became undisputed ruler

It also makes everything that's happened with the sparrows retroactively pointless. If she could just blow them up with no consequences she could have done it right at the start and not had to do the walk of shame etc etc

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

Right - there were so many interesting aspects to the consequences to this big event but the show goes on like it never happened.

It's the same reason I hate how they dispatched the Freys. The show makes it so the Boltons and Freys suffer no consequences for one of the biggest crimes you can commit in Westeros and then Arya takes care of all the Freys single handedly in a scene.

I know someone wrote an article about and I think Lindsay Ellis spoke about it in her video but the good seasons deal with all the political and social problems and consequences while the bad seasons just focus directly on the characters and their personal issues.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

yara also iirc joined the team for the promise of independence but really, by that point in the show stuff like that didn't matter anymore

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Rob Rockley posted:

I am absolutely positive it’s because they got bored.

I really think that 90% of the difference between a good show and a bad show is just attention to detail. Mandalorian is full of all kinds of little Easter eggs, even Bob’s Burgers of all things never misses any continuity stuff. Every time they have a shot of the inside of Bob’s appalling bathroom I chuckle. When people get tired of the show and start having the B team working on major parts of it is when the cracks show, and you get water bottles in frame cause nobody gives a gently caress to triple check the set and make tiny adjustments cause they just don’t care enough, and absolutely everything starts sliding.

I get what you're saying, but lol at the choice to use The Mandalorian as your example of a lovingly-crafted show intolerant of continuity or production gaffes

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Remember when Jon died? That was great. He should have stayed dead.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The blowing of the sept episode is probably in my top 3 episodes and really demonstrates what the strength of the show could be... and it also serves as a reminder of how bad the aftermath was lol

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

An insane mind posted:

Remember when Jon died? That was great. He should have stayed dead.

I liked when they brought him back and implied he had changed somehow, maybe lost a bit of himself

But they never really explore it much

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Collapsing Farts posted:

I liked when they brought him back and implied he had changed somehow, maybe lost a bit of himself

Yeah, that might have made it a lot better, but what it became is just a Forgotten Realms style resurrection. I mean maybe he was acting more wooden on purpose but it looked like he'd mostly just checked out.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Jon was definitely written to be sassier and more proactive in the pre-resurrection stuff but afterwards they never really did anything with his obvious hosed up mental state post- resurrection and by seasons 7 or 8 it did seem like Harrington was just over the whole thing because they gave him very little to work with and essentially neutered everything that was supposed to be important about Jon's parentage or even broader purpose in the story.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Its kind of what I'm wondering about my "Dany gets resurrected" theorizing.

GRRM is very clear that you do not come back the same when you die and come back.

Darker Jon has been theorized by book fans for a while because of that.

What if someone falls to evil- or believes they fell to evil- and dies and comes back? How possible is it that said person comes back "lighter"?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

oliwan posted:

The blowing of the sept episode is probably in my top 3 episodes and really demonstrates what the strength of the show could be... and it also serves as a reminder of how bad the aftermath was lol
The actual production of that scene was incredible for sure.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

When Ramin Djwadi pulls out the piano, poo poo is going down.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

oliwan posted:

There were zero political consequences for Cersei for that. She just... won

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Van Dis posted:

There were zero political consequences for Cersei for that. She just... won

Even more horribly she ignored the colossal existential threat and let her enemies handle it while she fortified her position and she suffered zero consequences from that either.

Jaime still came crawling back to her, and Dany still obliterated her as easily as she would have at full strength. She just went crazy because everyone was betraying her.

Seriously how do people not think the endgame was reversed because to make that work they turned Team Dany into drooling morons and Cersei into uber-Queen.

Even loving Jon should have said "take the city in a day doing exactly what you did in 15 minutes in the episode when you took the city. Put yourself on the Iron Throne and tell everyone in the South to march North immediately."

God the last few seasons loving sucked.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

honestly surprised they’re moving forward with this

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1337495896397737984?s=10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Are there vampires in the prequel cause there's no way homeboy on the right isn't a vampire