Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

I will always remember starting a match and immediately busting open my opponent with a yakuza kick. It's one of my favorite wrestling game memories because it's such a huge start to the match.

i did this in 2k19 once and it was immediately reversed and initiated squash match mode for my opponent, takeshi morishima. i ate two backdrop drivers and was immediately pinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

i did this in 2k19 once and it was immediately reversed and initiated squash match mode for my opponent, takeshi morishima. i ate two backdrop drivers and was immediately pinned.

That just sounds like good AI for Morishima.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Maxwell Lord posted:

Anyway Spike Chunsoft's having a Midweek Madness sale on Steam, you can get Fire Pro for $6 and all the DLC's discounted pretty heavily too.
Holy poo poo, finally a good time to get in on the DLC. Thanks for posting this, hadn't added them to my wishlist.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the new game takes a large amount of inspiration from the aew mod for no mercy.

there are a few heroes in this thread saying the 'game play' will mean everything, and they are right

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cavauro posted:

there are a few heroes in this thread saying the 'game play' will mean everything, and they are right
I mean, it's being made by Yuke's. They don't have a history of quality even outside of their one-year-deadline wrestling games.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

The Kins posted:

I mean, it's being made by Yuke's. They don't have a history of quality even outside of their one-year-deadline wrestling games.

Their non wwe games were fine

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Yuke's was building upon one thing each year for 100 years. you can't re-do it from there with 8 and 9 month dev cycles. it's easy enough to play something or see it being played before saying it really sucks bad. this game could be more like their berserk game on dreamcast than day of reckoning on the gamecube, or vice versa

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Kins posted:

In favour of Yukes, Day of Reckoning was fun, I really enjoyed the last of the UFC games they worked on (the one that let me use soccer kicks & knees to the head of a grounded opponent & stomps). Never played the Wrestle Kingdom games.

That's about as positive as I can be. Maybe they will actually get to fix the hosed up things by getting to build a new engine from scratch but eh. I'm not overly optimistic.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

KungFu Grip posted:

Their non wwe games were fine
As were the WWE Day of Reckoning games, which were pretty clearly designed to play like the AKI games, but with far superior collision detection. (The best collision detection of any wrestling games to date, even in 2020.) Their UFC games were pretty strong for the time, too, until THQ's financial troubles caused all sorts of issues.

As best I can tell, the main issues have always been the crunch and having to build on top of the same PS1-era engine like a bizarre ROM hack over and over for two decades. Sure, Yuke's isn't blameless (the stories of the initial builds always having the same bugs every year) and there's clearly some weird poo poo that goes on there (bootlegging the SmackDown games in Japan for years even though they had no publishing license for them; they were just the dev team). But even though it's been a long time, they've absolutely shown that they can make quality wrestling games away from the constraints of Frankensteining SmackDown for the PS1 into an annual series across four different console generations.

Also,n that reminds me: Has it ever been explained why SmackDown was built off of Pro Wrestling Simple Series instead of Toukon Retsuden? From the start, the series was doomed, because it was built off of a dumbed down wrestling game for novice gamers, not the far superior NJPW games.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

gaijin dont deserve good game

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

JOHN CENA posted:

gaijin dont deserve good game
Well, that WOULD also explain why World Tour was a gutted version of VPW 64...

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

davidbix posted:

As were the WWE Day of Reckoning games, which were pretty clearly designed to play like the AKI games, but with far superior collision detection. (The best collision detection of any wrestling games to date, even in 2020.)

The collision detection is almost too good. every four man match results in everyone taking naps like a triple h/undertaker showdown.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also some of the worst cage match logic, for a match type that is basically always poo poo in games.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Also some of the worst cage match logic, for a match type that is basically always poo poo in games.

At least the AI won't have to worry about the escape the cage stip in AEW cage matches.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It would be interesting to see a wrestling game that manages to do the goofier match types well.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Maxwell Lord posted:

It would be interesting to see a wrestling game that manages to do the goofier match types well.

Here Comes the Pain

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Wrestling m pire

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

davidbix posted:

Well, that WOULD also explain why World Tour was a gutted version of VPW 64...
I thought VPW 64 was an updated version of the engine and came out some time after World Tour.

I'm pretty optimistic about the AEW game. While I obviously would've loved to see the old AKI Corporation logo in the presentation, that was realistically never going to happen and we're getting the next best thing* - the developers of Here Comes the Pain and Day of Reckoning, with one of the old AKI designers on board. Even though Yuke's has been toiling away in the THQ/2K salt mines for years now, they know how to make wrestling games and I'm quite excited to see what they can do with this one.

*the actual next best thing may or may not have been an AEW-themed King of Colosseum

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is there a good place to post requests (as in not to make but to find a similar move) requests for Fire Pro. I'm working on a dumb thing and having trouble finding some more esoteric moves. I'm to the point where I'll buy steam gift cards for people to make certain moves.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Cavauro posted:

the new game takes a large amount of inspiration from the aew mod for no mercy.

Wait

I used to pay attention to No Mercy mods

But i haven't but now i need to again

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

Is there a good cage match in any wrestling game? They were absolutely dreadful in No Mercy and I'd say in a few of the Smackdown/WWE '# games the best they ever got was "generally inoffensive."

It's wild because ladder matches are generally pretty fun as long as the ladder has some weight to it, despite also being about climbing something to win.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I hate modern ladder matches because they always end with me failing some stupid rear end mini game, falling, not getting up in time, and watching the computer nail the mini game perfectly.

I hope to god there is not mini games to kick outs in the AEW game.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 13, 2020

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
the Saltybet like Fire Pro Wrestling stream updated with actual bets (with fake money) for matches now

https://twitch.tv/saltysuplex

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Oh hey you can subscribe to Chuck Taylor on Twitch now https://www.twitch.tv/chuckietea1

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If anyone wants to fart around and chat wrestling (or whatever) a few nights a week, I do some streaming here: https://twitch.tv/gansobomb_

I'm playing exclusively N64 wrestling games for now and am just about to finish WCW vs nWo: World Tour. I played through Revenge first, and I'll follow up with Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, and then maybe some of the Japanese games if I can get my hands on them. I have a copy of Brave Spirits but I'm thinking of picking up Virtual Pro Wrestling as well.

Currently my schedule is Monday & Thursday at 8:30 ET/7:30 CT and Saturday at 6:05 ET/5:05 CT to keep with the WCW theme. I'll probably keep that schedule, though, because it's been working out pretty well for me.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

KungFu Grip posted:

the Saltybet like Fire Pro Wrestling stream updated with actual bets (with fake money) for matches now

https://twitch.tv/saltysuplex

It seems like there's a lot less wrestlers nowadays. It feels like some wrestlers show up multiple times in an hour.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 1, 2020

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

punchdaily posted:

Is there a good cage match in any wrestling game? They were absolutely dreadful in No Mercy and I'd say in a few of the Smackdown/WWE '# games the best they ever got was "generally inoffensive."

It's wild because ladder matches are generally pretty fun as long as the ladder has some weight to it, despite also being about climbing something to win.

The cage match in WWE Battle Grounds is won by collecting bags of money that randomly appear on the cage. Once you get enough money in your sack you can escape the cage. It's completely bizarre and also how Vince probably plans to make the wrestlers fight for their paychecks in 2021.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Tato posted:

It's completely bizarre and also how Vince probably plans to make the wrestlers fight for their paychecks in 2021.
Vince would absolutely make the wrestlers compete in real-life WWE Crush Hour if he thought he could get away with it. I wonder why he hasn't tried yet.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'm playing exclusively N64 wrestling games for now and am just about to finish WCW vs nWo: World Tour. I played through Revenge first, and I'll follow up with Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, and then maybe some of the Japanese games if I can get my hands on them. I have a copy of Brave Spirits but I'm thinking of picking up Virtual Pro Wrestling as well.

I streamed no mercy a few times and I love this poo poo. I’ll try to stop by Thursday to share my endless wrestling and wrestling game knowledge.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

punchdaily posted:

You'd have to do something to make it so that trying immediately to escape is a bad strat, and the AI's also a consideration. Like in Fire Pro it's sort of a foregone conclusion once a wrestler is high enough, you can only shake so much and you can't climb fast enough to really intercept them.

I feel it requires some level of abstraction without taking you completely out of the "fight" part of the fight.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
saltysuplex is up to champ #999. It looks like #1000 may be Gundam Turn A. That could be a waste of a milestone champ because Turn A shows up all the dang time now.

EDIT: G-Raver got the shot instead, let's go G-Raver!

EDIT 2: He did it!

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 3, 2020

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
https://twitter.com/MDickieDotcom/status/1337351557902430208

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The quality of MDickie’s game aside, that was an amazing trailer. Dare I say one of the best I’ve ever seen.

I’ll give him money again just to feed his insanity. There’s a certain kind of fun to had with his games anyway.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Fly Ricky posted:

The quality of MDickie’s game aside, that was an amazing trailer. Dare I say one of the best I’ve ever seen.

I’ll give him money again just to feed his insanity. There’s a certain kind of fun to had with his games anyway.

MDickie is an utter madman but his wrestling games are never boring.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’d have an existential crisis if I could somehow calculate the amount of hours I’ve spent playing them.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Is there a new Mdickie joint coming to PC as well or is that a port of a current PC game I should go buy today?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Fly Ricky posted:

mdickie is unironically the true video game artist, just completely incomprehensible except for the most enlightened

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'll never forget being an early 20 something year old and coming across the Mdickie wrestling game and being freaked out and really surprised when one of my wrestlers lost an arm during a match. I'm always willing to pay and give his games a chance.

Except that Jesus one.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I played one for IPad a bunch and I think the fake CM Punk died of an overdose in my first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Fly Ricky posted:

They may be incredibly flawed pieces of software, but they're consistently a fun time.