Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Brawnfire posted:

You know what... you KNOW what? Why don't they just scrap the Section 31 show idea (if they haven't already) and make a Mirror Universe show........... Feels like a tangent.

What if it's not a tangent and they've decided to blend it with the contractual obligations for the S31 show idea?

The show still probably isn't beyond a rough draft, however I do feel less meh on the S31 show which involves Empress Georgiou's mirror S31 doing good across the quadrant from the shadows, and slowly effecting positive change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

a 23rd century Cold War intrigue style show involving S31 and the Mirror Universe could be fun and even if it wasn’t, at least it mostly contains that stuff there.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really like that people are calling out Michael's behavior this season. The demotion, Tilly telling her she put her in a lovely position, and Georgiou's lines about Michael bending people to her will but lying to herself about it, and that she never knows when to shut up, are the kind of knocking down a peg that I hope continues - at least as an effort to shift toward a more ensemble cast.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-utter laziness throwing in nazi salutes,
Have you never seen a Mirror episode in any Trek series before (including this one)? It's not laziness, it's consistency.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gonz posted:

Andromeda Galaxy.

One of my pet Dream Trek ideas is basically Stargate: Atlantis/Mass Effect: Andromeda but for Trek. The Federation invents/discovers tech that can fling a ship billions of lightyears to another galaxy instantly so they send out an expedition team to Andromeda on basically a "one way trip until you can replicate the tech to jump back to the Alpha Quadrant, ie Season 2-ish".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nine-gear crow posted:

One of my pet Dream Trek ideas is basically Stargate: Atlantis/Mass Effect: Andromeda but for Trek. The Federation invents/discovers tech that can fling a ship billions of lightyears to another galaxy instantly so they send out an expedition team to Andromeda on basically a "one way trip until you can replicate the tech to jump back to the Alpha Quadrant, ie Season 2-ish".

Ahh, Voyager! :pseudo:

(I kid, I kid)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh, Voyager! :pseudo:

(I kid, I kid)

I mean yeah, basically "Voyager... but we MEANT to do it this time, I swear."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Instead of one-way magic you could just have an expedition of a dozen ships that spent a decade of flight with their crew in stasis to reach one of the Milky Way satellite galaxies. CMD is 25k light years away and has a billion stars.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 11, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Replicator, one storyline of Equinox please

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, even gimmicks like that are unnecessary. "The Enterprise-H's mission: to spend a decade on her own flying straight out into the unexplored depths of the galaxy, beyond any known space"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, that was fun. Everyone chewing the scenery had to of been fun to the actors, also everyones being evil is crazy sexy. I'm sure Mary Wiseman enjoys being Killy and confident.

BUT....

Why are they wasting 2 episodes on this? The season is almost done and honestly Georgieu's time problem is the least interesting thing going on right now. Why devout 2 episodes to it? Hopefully next week they'll switch back between the stories because the Kelpian ship is a much more interesting plot point.

I liked the brief scene with Adira and Stamets, they fucks up and he corrects her. They take it personally but he shows that mistakes can happen for any reason and they are shown it doesn't make them bad or incompetent or anything. This stuck me because my job is very much managing teenage girls and I have a few that are very smart, very hard working and very good at what they do, but when they mess up and get told about it, they get really upset. I always try to make sure that they know they're not in trouble, this doesn't make us feel like they're not up to their jobs or anything. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone does something without thinking, and you get in trouble.

sticklefifer posted:

Have you never seen a Mirror episode in any Trek series before (including this one)? It's not laziness, it's consistency.

Also fits with the Terrans being all "this is Space Rome" as that was known as a Roman Salute before the Nazis started doing it.

I was kinda hoping Carl would be a Q, but the clues laid out, yea he's Guardian of forever. I do love how his reactions to their questions with basic answers; "Maybe you should have learned about doors before coming down here".

Edit to fix wrong pronoun.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 11, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cojawfee posted:

I agree. I was interested in seeing what was going on with the distress signal, but now we're doing this for another episode. Is Georgiou going to use her knowledge of our universe plus the future and what happened to cause her to have to abandon her universe to change things or something? Does this gently caress up Season 1 now that she knows that Lorca betrays her and that the Burnham she eventually meets is from the prime universe? If this is real time and dimension travel, she has the capability to delete everything that has happened so far. If it's just a test by the guardian guy, then what's the point?
I wonder if this means we'll see Prime Lorca, since we know he swapped places with Mirror Lorca and nothing else. It'd be interesting if he becomes the only ally Georgiou can rely on.

Or if she changes things so that the Lorcas don't cross over in the first place, which would obviously have knock-on effects for the main universe.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pro:

- this was fun to watch. The actors and writers actually seem to have enjoyed themselves for once. I only skipped the fight scene in the beginning and nothing else, which is quite the praise for a STD episode
- Owo looked absolutely awesome in that fascist leather uniform. Maybe Fascism is actually good? Something to think about

Contra:

- Why are we doing this? It's a ~10 episodes per year prestige Trek show, do we really need to spend ~20% of the season on redoing season 1 greatest hits? There is nothing new you could have come up with? It's just ten freaking scripts per year ffs

In summary, nu-trek is a land of contrasts

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mirror stuff is fun but the show is really dragged down by insisting on keeping Giorgiou in it. The constant “in my universe” is just dull and a waste of a once in a generation actor.

Now there’s a two parter that’s just going nowhere. It’s fun to see everyone in different uniforms and as much eye makeup as they can afford. But why. Giorgiou brings nothing to the main plot. They should’ve ended her role after S1, or brought in a version that hasn’t killed more people than malaria. Instead, we get “my
Michael ...” and “where I’m from” over and over. Just whack.

Oh well, it’s still interesting to see, and it’s always a joy to see a ships engineer suffer needlessly.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Wasn't Evil Stamets alive in the Mirror Universe part of Season 1, which takes place after this? If the timeline doesn't diverge until Giorgiou spares Michael, did Stamets still attempt to assassinate the emperor at the Charon dedication ceremony that would've happened before the Good Universe people showed up in the first place? How was he not executed then?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I liked the brief scene with Adira and Stamets, she fucks up and he corrects her. They take it personally but he shows that mistakes can happen for any reason and they are shown it doesn't make them bad or incompetent or anything. This stuck me because my job is very much managing teenage girls and I have a few that are very smart, very hard working and very good at what they do, but when they mess up and get told about it, they get really upset. I always try to make sure that they know they're not in trouble, this doesn't make us feel like they're not up to their jobs or anything. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone does something without thinking, and you get in trouble.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 11, 2020

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I guess the S31 show or whatever is it will be set in yet another timeline judging by the way time travel worked in the Guardian of Forever TOS episode.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I liked the brief scene with Adira and Stamets, she fucks up and he corrects her. They take it personally but he shows that mistakes can happen for any reason and they are shown it doesn't make them bad or incompetent or anything. This stuck me because my job is very much managing teenage girls and I have a few that are very smart, very hard working and very good at what they do, but when they mess up and get told about it, they get really upset. I always try to make sure that they know they're not in trouble, this doesn't make us feel like they're not up to their jobs or anything. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone does something without thinking, and you get in trouble.

I worked in an environment very much not like this.
It really fucks with your head.

The actors always have more fun in mirror universe.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The actors always have fun in the mirror universe because it's 'pretend you are a flash gordon villain' time where all you are expected to do is deliberately ham it up as much as possible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

well why not posted:

Mirror stuff is fun but the show is really dragged down by insisting on keeping Giorgiou in it. The constant “in my universe” is just dull and a waste of a once in a generation actor.

Now there’s a two parter that’s just going nowhere. It’s fun to see everyone in different uniforms and as much eye makeup as they can afford. But why. Giorgiou brings nothing to the main plot. They should’ve ended her role after S1, or brought in a version that hasn’t killed more people than malaria. Instead, we get “my
Michael ...” and “where I’m from” over and over. Just whack.

Oh well, it’s still interesting to see, and it’s always a joy to see a ships engineer suffer needlessly.

Maybe the first time she didn't stand right next to him that way, so he didn't have the opportunity to try to go in for a stab. In the federation she's learned to be more tolerant of people standing in stabbing distance at angles she can't see -- a mistake she wouldn't have made 5 years ago.

Mirror Stamets seems like a guy who wouldn't take the risk if he wasn't pretty certain of success. If he succeeds he gets the favor of the new emperor, but there' s no penalty for not trying, and the penalty for failure is severe. So if she was standing 3 feet away and he'd have to take a step or two to reach stabbing range that would drastically increase his chance of failure and not be worth the risk.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'll forgive all this poo poo if mirror Saru plays to the universe rules and his Kelpians slaughter everyone the second Georgiou gives them a millimeter of leeway

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Except this is pre-puberty Saru who is scared all the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A good poster posted:

Wasn't Evil Stamets alive in the Mirror Universe part of Season 1, which takes place after this? If the timeline doesn't diverge until Giorgiou spares Michael, did Stamets still attempt to assassinate the emperor at the Charon dedication ceremony that would've happened before the Good Universe people showed up in the first place? How was he not executed then?
Yeah I have a lot of questions-

-Is there going to be a way for her to go back to future Disco or is it one way? If we are talking Guardian rules then I believe she can go back, but does she really need to? The way that there was a ‘goodbye’ scene on the Disco before she beamed down to the planet makes me think that she does not come back.
-In the original TOS episode you could alter the timeline by changing history. How is her making these changes going to affect the future? For that matter, how will it affect Disco? If Mirror Lorca gets killed early and doesn’t cross into the Prime universe, that potentially alters a lot of Season 1. She already killed Mirror Stamets before he was supposed to die.

It’s getting a bit absurd how they keep deciding that the distress signal mission is less important than helping out two people in the last two episodes who aren’t part of the crew. Especially in Georgiou’s case where she has actively tried to kill people in the past.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Except this is pre-puberty Saru who is scared all the time.

All the more reason to kill everyone. Killing everyone is the only way to be safe. Which is basically why the Terrans do it too.

Everyone in the mirror universe is ruled by fear. Your choices are be the biggest psychopath in the room or be a victim. The Kelpians have been conditioned to believe that any aggression in a kelpian is a sign of impending madness and death, so they passively accept being perpetual victims. If they decide to stop being victims their fear isn't any more crippling than the fears of other species.

Remember that prime Saru was able to be accepted into Starfleet, sent on away missions, and made first officer all before menopause. They knew about his danger sense and didn't consider it a liability. There's no reason mirror kelpians couldn't be total assholes if they got the chance.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason to think Georgiou is actually in the mirror universe and not in just some elaborate simulation created by whoever the guy in the bowler hat is?

This reeks of "a very Special Star Trek episode" where Georgiou is supposed to learn to be at peace with actually liking people.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is why we need old style lengths to seasons, so two parters like this don't feel like we're losing time we need for the main plot.

My theory is that for whatever reason this MU Saru has already lost his Ganglia and she's gonna help him take control.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Not exactly sure how this being a Teachable Moment is going to help her molcules from ripping apart by being in the wrong time and universe. Not that I'm ruling it out, mind.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Senor Tron posted:

This is why we need old style lengths to seasons, so two parters like this don't feel like we're losing time we need for the main plot.

My theory is that for whatever reason this MU Saru has already lost his Ganglia and she's gonna help him take control.

Yeah I think this too. They're talking too much about Kelpian second breakfast puberty

I think she got some underdog/ fair fight poisoning from the prime universe burnham

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Not exactly sure how this being a Teachable Moment is going to help her molcules from ripping apart by being in the wrong time and universe. Not that I'm ruling it out, mind.

You are your molecules. Her molecules want to go home. Maybe if she realizes her universe sucks and she was lucky to get away from it her molecules will decide the prime universe is okay.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"You know what's great" say the molecules "is not being agonized"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

All the more reason to kill everyone. Killing everyone is the only way to be safe. Which is basically why the Terrans do it too.

Everyone in the mirror universe is ruled by fear. Your choices are be the biggest psychopath in the room or be a victim. The Kelpians have been conditioned to believe that any aggression in a kelpian is a sign of impending madness and death, so they passively accept being perpetual victims. If they decide to stop being victims their fear isn't any more crippling than the fears of other species.

Remember that prime Saru was able to be accepted into Starfleet, sent on away missions, and made first officer all before menopause. They knew about his danger sense and didn't consider it a liability. There's no reason mirror kelpians couldn't be total assholes if they got the chance.

31st century mirror universe is going to be run by the Kelpian Empire. They will eat other species just because they can, not because they taste good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

31st century mirror universe is going to be run by the Kelpian Empire. They will eat other species just because they can, not because they taste good.

Cook them and then not eat it and just waste all that food because they are that evil

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

sticklefifer posted:

Actually no, I haven’t seen that TOS ep. my mistake. I’ve seen all the DS9 ones and the Enterprise ep, probably need to go back and watch more Kirk.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

You are your molecules. Her molecules want to go home. Maybe if she realizes her universe sucks and she was lucky to get away from it her molecules will decide the prime universe is okay.

So you're saying that she'll have a heart to heart with the embodiment of her molecules represented by Michael and they'll be able to able to retune her frequency to the prime universe using the distress signal song and I'm going to stop now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Actually no, I haven’t seen that TOS ep. my mistake. I’ve seen all the DS9 ones and the Enterprise ep, probably need to go back and watch more Kirk.
Mirror, Mirror is a very good episode

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well that episode was a waste of time. The highlight was seeing the detective from CSI as a guest star (I honestly thought he'd died by now) chewing on the scenery and clearly having a ball.

A good "we're loving with reality" story knows to at least let the audience in on the joke at some point, or at least hint at something being off, even if the characters haven't subjectively figured it out yet. Playing it straight with Emperor Georgiou's Power Hour just wastes everyone's time; There's nothing relevant to the Burn, the distress signal, how this is helping her, or even impacting the timeline at-large. The only way this can really go with nothing at-large changing for the real plot is wasting two weeks of the audience's time on this trip to the Mirror Universe in a season that was supposed to be a soft-reset on a show that dropped the ball on its last trip to the Mirror Universe and tried very hard to forget the whole thing.

The Kelpian ship found a "Dilithium Nursery", and my money's on they somehow Ice-9'd ALL Dilithium by accident trying to take a sample and fracturing it or something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao if freeing the Kelpians ended up destroying the federation

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Everyone complaining about how short seasons are the problem is missing the point. Its not the number of episodes, its how much you try to cram into them. If you have less time,make less show. Its not an insurmountable problem, these writers are just doing a bad job.

Regarding the latest episode,its amazing how much more coherent the mirror universe stuff is and his much better the show is as a result. I don't think its likely, but if S31 is going to be about secretly-not-evil Georgiou trying to reform the empire, I'm 100% on board.

And while I can see the argument that this two parter is taking time away from the main story, I just don't care because this was the best episode so far and I want more of it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, I have been pretty disinterested in the 31st century plot since they found Starfleet, so this last episode was kind of refreshing.

Also refreshing because we finally get to see Evil G do something this year besides kick people in the head and be a bitch.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 11, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still thinking about Tilly saying "should I debrief the admiral" instead of brief or inform or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Everyone complaining about how short seasons are the problem is missing the point. Its not the number of episodes, its how much you try to cram into them. If you have less time,make less show. Its not an insurmountable problem, these writers are just doing a bad job.

Regarding the latest episode,its amazing how much more coherent the mirror universe stuff is and his much better the show is as a result. I don't think its likely, but if S31 is going to be about secretly-not-evil Georgiou trying to reform the empire, I'm 100% on board.

And while I can see the argument that this two parter is taking time away from the main story, I just don't care because this was the best episode so far and I want more of it.

Yeah the problem the show has would not be solved if they had 22 episodes. The problem is that even with half that there's enormous amounts of time wasting and wheel spinning and actors they're keeping on the books for some reason but don't have anything to do.