Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

George H.W. oval office posted:

I wish English had something for the weird shj? sound. Like when you shorten the usual to the uschj. What even is that a combination of?

I've never really thought about it until now and I'm 100% sure its going to keep me up all night thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah I'm sitting here trying to spell it.

Uje.

Uysch.

Usj.

Uzsj.

Uyzch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
:yooge:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

FFT posted:

it's not exactly "code-switching" but it's related

I developed a slight drawl when I lived in the South, but it only happened when I was speaking stream of conscious, not when I thought about how to pronounce the words I was saying. I think that particular accent being a lot easier on my mild speech impediment helped develop that habit, plosives and certain other sounds are hard for me, so dropping a lot of them altogether, and the prevalence of onglides makes it easier for me to talk that way rather than the more clipped PNW accent I grew up with.

My brain was also so broken from stress that I temporarily developed a crippling stutter, for the first and only time in my life, so that might've played a role too.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tommy "Tiny" Lister (Friday, Fifth Element, No Holds Barred) passed away.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
drat, rip tiny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3ue38leq8

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Tommy "Tiny" Lister (Friday, Fifth Element, No Holds Barred) passed away.

:rip: to a good one

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Elviscat posted:

I developed a slight drawl when I lived in the South, but it only happened when I was speaking stream of conscious, not when I thought about how to pronounce the words I was saying. I think that particular accent being a lot easier on my mild speech impediment helped develop that habit, plosives and certain other sounds are hard for me, so dropping a lot of them altogether, and the prevalence of onglides makes it easier for me to talk that way rather than the more clipped PNW accent I grew up with.

My brain was also so broken from stress that I temporarily developed a crippling stutter, for the first and only time in my life, so that might've played a role too.

Sign language is so full of dialect you have to really be on the ball when you first meet someone, and part of this involves using the other person's signs back to them casually to ensure mutual understanding. this has unfortunately bled into a facet of my a personality now whereby I'm extremely quick to mirror an accent or a speech affectation I hear

I'll have a slight accent or within an hour speaking to someone and need to deliberately catch myself

There probably some psycholinguistics thing going on there

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jestery posted:

There probably some psycholinguistics thing going on there

Yeah, you crazy.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah I'm sitting here trying to spell it.

Uje.

Uysch.

Usj.

Uzsj.

Uyzch.

zh or ʒ, as in genre

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqK2wcKVxkw

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Mister Olympus posted:

zh or ʒ, as in genre

Some slavic languages have a specific letter Ž (or Ж in cyrillic).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
"Shape of Water" - 2 stars

- Bill Burr

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

RFC2324 posted:

Swedish cookbook?

Away, away with you!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

They've banned voiced dental fricatives. You can't say that anymore.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Data Graham posted:

It’s one of those things you never think about, like how the V in “have” is voiced except when you’re saying “I have to X”, when it becomes “haff”

Also pet peeve, I hate it when people describe the difference between like S and SH as “pronouncing the H” or “taking out the H”

It’s ridiculous that we have a digraph for that sound

And J, a single letter for “dzh”

Which itself has multiple pronunciations

Aaaaa

It's basically impossible to pronounce a voiced and unvoiced consonant together, so you either have to say haff to, have do or have. to . It's like how sometimes the s at the end of the word is actually a z - compare how you would say cats vs. dogs.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

GD_American posted:

edit- let's talk about the real heroes. If you don't see what's horribly, horribly wrong about this picture, ask a mechanic.

Ahh, the starter on a certain model of Lexus I believe.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

This poo poo might actually work

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Elviscat posted:

I developed a slight drawl when I lived in the South, but it only happened when I was speaking stream of conscious, not when I thought about how to pronounce the words I was saying.
outside of the South it's "stream of consciousness" so don't worry: it's still with you.

anyway on the subject of memes, i just bought winRAR as a christmas present for a friend of mine.

and shelled out extra because it turns out you can have it delivered as a physical disc.

best $45 i've ever spent

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Intriguing...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Let's just make spanish (spain) the universal language so we can get over with this.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Guillermus posted:

Let's just make spanish (spain) the universal language so we can get over with this.

PORKY NO LOSS DOS!?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

PORKY NO LOSS DOS!?

Porque el español suena mejor y se pronuncia tal como se escribe :haw:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Guillermus posted:

Si! Este es un idea magnífico, de verdad no hay problemas de dialectos o gramatica entre las países latinos

:gizz:

Edit:
(Look at me ma, bilingual poo poo posting)

Jestery has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Dec 11, 2020

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

CannonFodder posted:

Ahh, the starter on a certain model of Lexus I believe.

The one in the pic is a GM Northstar, but yeah the 1uzfe in the LS400 and SC400 are under the manifold, too and one of the reasons I crossed it off my engine swap list.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like mechanics would love that

Part $97
Labor $42069

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jestery posted:

Si! Este es un idea magnífico, de verdad no hay problemas de dialectos o gramatica entre las países latinos

:gizz:

Edit:
(Look at me ma, bilingual poo poo posting)

Yeah then don't speak a dialect and speak spanish.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GD_American posted:

edit- let's talk about the real heroes. If you don't see what's horribly, horribly wrong about this picture, ask a mechanic.

Not the specifics other than I am guessing that thing in the middle needs regular service but necesitates removal of the cylinder head to access.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Benny Harvey posted:

It's basically impossible to pronounce a voiced and unvoiced consonant together, so you either have to say haff to, have do or have. to . It's like how sometimes the s at the end of the word is actually a z - compare how you would say cats vs. dogs.

I get what you’re theorizing but I don’t think it’s true. Say “have. to” slowly and carefully enough to voice the V and it won’t sound correct, you’ll sound like a crazy person

It is not difficult to say “I have two eggs”

Come to think of it though “has to” follows the same pattern

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

OwlFancier posted:

Not the specifics other than I am guessing that thing in the middle needs regular service but necesitates removal of the cylinder head to access.

The starter doesn't so much as need regular service, but it's a higher percentage failure point that is, on most sanely designed vehicles, reachable either easily or after the easy removal of a handful of small pieces.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

burexas.irom posted:

Some slavic languages have a specific letter Ž (or Ж in cyrillic).

Or, you know, j in French.

(J, it's for whatever sound you have that the Romans didn't)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If you think that's bad there are cranes and other pieces of heavy equipment that the only way to get to the starter is either pulling the motor, taking off all the sheet metal and its nine hundred bolts or stuffing yourself into a small hole and poking at the starter bolts blindly with a socket on the end of a couple extensions and a swivel.

Oh and the starter weights 60lbs good luck getting it back in without cut up arms and entirely too much cussing.

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

this one always gets me because i know i usually pronounce "thy" with the voiced version but whenever I try to do this comparison I wind up saying them exactly the same. I forget what they call this in linguistics, but its related to why sometimes we pronounce written S as /s/ and sometimes as /z/, since the final syllable often takes the voiced/unvoiced quality of the thing before it

Yep it’s easier to make a voiced fricative (consonant involving turbulent airflow) when it’s after a vowel. Try putting a short “uh” sound at the beginning of “thy”.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

just lemme drop polish alphabet with no context

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Grzegorz Brzęczyszczykiewicz :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006