Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
yet again very assured that these decisions about technical issues and academic definitions are being made by lawyers listening to lawyers arguing about intent of law written by elected lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Stickman posted:

For anyone that isn't Trump, the point of the lawsuits is to sell the narrative that Republicans were robbed, Democrats are corrupt, and the Biden presidency is illegitimate. That'll make it easier for them to implement onerous voter suppression, rile folks up for 2022, and to sell their obstructionism even when it materially harms their base.

I'm convinced that the reason this particular suit was filed is that Paxton is trying to get a pardon

https://mobile.twitter.com/tplohetski/status/1337167620609626112

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
What was the legitimate purpose of presidential pardons ever even supposed to be?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nonexistence posted:

What was the legitimate purpose of presidential pardons ever even supposed to be?

"Well, kings get to do it, why not our guy?"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nonexistence posted:

Someone getting railroaded by a prior administration and stuck with a long prison sentence for a crime they did not commit, or someone who was prosecuted under an unjust law that had since changed, etc.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In theory it's a safety valve for the justice system; it will always be possible to reach outcomes that history or contemporary society decides are improper so the power to unilaterally override it should exist somewhere. And given the rest of the government and the 18th century assumptions under which it was designed, the president is the best place.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Lemniscate Blue posted:

"Well, kings get to do it, why not our guy?"

This is literally it. The creation of the presidency was basically gathering up all the sets of rights and powers owned by 18th century monarchs and assigning them to the chief executive position as an elected office.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fuschia tude posted:

This is literally it. The creation of the presidency was basically gathering up all the sets of rights and powers owned by 18th century monarchs and assigning them to the chief executive position as an elected office.

Yup, and while many of the constitutional monarchies of the world have continued to take those powers away from monarchs, the fact the US President is elected means if anything their power has grown.

When Australia periodically debates becoming a republic a common argument against it is that we don't want to risk ending up with a position equivalent to POTUS in our system.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 11, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s what parliamentary systems are for.

Hope that helps, Australia.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
So when does the SC have to decide on taking the case?

Are Kavanaugh and Barrett likely to accept it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Willo567 posted:

So when does the SC have to decide on taking the case?

Are Kavanaugh and Barrett likely to accept it?

No one is going to accept it. It will be dismissed on Monday with a single line just like the Kelly v PA request was denied.

The complaint mirrors the core arguments of Kelly with regard to PA. If the SCOTUS had any interest in the case, they would have already shown it.

Kav and Barrett aren't likely to do anything. There's no reason the SCOTUS takes Texas' case. It is all political posturing.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Mr. Nice! posted:

No one is going to accept it. It will be dismissed on Monday with a single line just like the Kelly v PA request was denied.

The complaint mirrors the core arguments of Kelly with regard to PA. If the SCOTUS had any interest in the case, they would have already shown it.

Kav and Barrett aren't likely to do anything. There's no reason the SCOTUS takes Texas' case. It is all political posturing.

What about the death threats they might get through right wing extremists, and Trump egging them on? Would that compel them to take it

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 11, 2020

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

What about the death threats they might get through right wing extremists, and Trump egging them on? Would that compel them to take it

Judges don’t usually respond well to death threats.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Willo567 posted:

Trump has no power over them. He can't remove them, fire them, or do anything related to them. They also have security details.

Also, any such death threats would also likely come after they dismiss the case on Monday.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Why are people saying Monday? Is there no chance they reject it today?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

HappyHippo posted:

Why are people saying Monday? Is there no chance they reject it today?

Today is listed as a conference day. Monday is when the court releases its next list of orders. The one line dismissal of the case will be in that list.

It is possible that they issue something today on the case, but I'm not personally holding my breath because the SCOTUS works on their own schedule.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
I'm a lawyer, so it's a bit embarrassing to admit, but I can't recall whether the Court actually has the ability to "deny cert" on cases such as this where they have original jurisdiction, rather than the much more usual route of being presented with appeals.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Sarcastro posted:

I'm a lawyer, so it's a bit embarrassing to admit, but I can't recall whether the Court actually has the ability to "deny cert" on cases such as this where they have original jurisdiction, rather than the much more usual route of being presented with appeals.

They do, but not in Thomas's moon law, and Altio agrees with him but nobody else. (We don't know about Barret.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to see a state be declared a vexatious litigant.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Thranguy posted:

They do, but not in Thomas's moon law, and Altio agrees with him but nobody else. (We don't know about Barret.)

Thanks (but hmmm, see below). If they grant cert, then, the only reasonable response is for California, Illinois, and New York to file suit against all the red states with the exact same argument.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Thranguy posted:

Thomas and Alito are right on this. SCOTUS has no right to refuse a case that comes up before them on the limited original jurisdiction that they have, and they only get away with it because there’s literally no one to tell them they can’t.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ulmont posted:

Thomas and Alito are right on this. SCOTUS has no right to refuse a case that comes up before them on the limited original jurisdiction that they have, and they only get away with it because there’s literally no one to tell them they can’t.

They absolutely can reject an original jurisdiction case if there is no actual case or controversy. There isn't one here. There is no need for them to grant Texas' petition when the petition is meritless.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr. Nice! posted:

They absolutely can reject an original jurisdiction case if there is no actual case or controversy. There isn't one here. There is no need for them to grant Texas' petition when the petition is meritless.

Not just if there's no case or controversy, they could also do it for lack of standing, which is also the case here.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
I think there's some careless use of terminology here, since standing and case/controversy arguments are the kinds of things that would win a motion to dismiss on a filed case, which are motions that happen after the court has started proceedings, rather than "you don't even get in the door" like with denial of cert.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I may have missed it but what was the ruling on the whole child slavery thing and that corporations are allowed to do it?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
There isn't one yet. They only heard oral arguments from the lawyers. The decision comes later

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

ulmont posted:

As others have said, the wording in the law is that scotus shall have jurisdiction over disputes between States. Thomas's argument is that since it says shall (as opposed to may), scotus has no choice but to take the case. Shall only refers to jurisdiction though, it doesn't say anywhere else that they are required to hear it just that they can't hand it over to another body to have jurisdiction.

His argument is definitely moon law and very much requires ignoring the plain meaning of the statute.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MrNemo posted:

As others have said, the wording in the law is that scotus shall have jurisdiction over disputes between States. Thomas's argument is that since it says shall (as opposed to may), scotus has no choice but to take the case. Shall only refers to jurisdiction though, it doesn't say anywhere else that they are required to hear it just that they can't hand it over to another body to have jurisdiction.

His argument is definitely moon law and very much requires ignoring the plain meaning of the statute.

Thomas isn’t just loving around here, he’s able to cite to Justice Marshall from 1821 on this point:

“It is most true that this Court will not take jurisdiction if it should but it is equally true, that it must take jurisdiction if it should...We have no more right to decline the exercise of jurisdiction which is given, than to usurp that which is not given.”

Mr. Nice! posted:

Certainly not unreasonable for lack of case / lack of standing / bullshit, but that’s after the Court saying “ok, here’s a thing” to say “and it’s trash.”

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 11, 2020

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Saw some right wing twitter people saying they've already heard that SCOTUS is denying TX leave to file it's bill of complaint and will issue an order today.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Saw some right wing twitter people saying they've already heard that SCOTUS is denying TX leave to file it's bill of complaint and will issue an order today.

:pray:

A weekend long twitter meltdown followed by the EC vote would be :discourse:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

That would probably be the sensible thing to do given the timing of the voting of the Electoral College, plus I imagine they don't want to hear requests asking the electors of South New East Virginia to be included.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you have the Tweets in question? Are they even credible?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean if it’s not today it will be Monday

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Willo567 posted:

Do you have the Tweets in question? Are they even credible?

I have not been able to find them again, and I apologize for that. I should have copied it earlier. It was an unverified account, but it was certainly a right wing person's account. If I stumble across it again, I'll post it. I'm at work now and now able to dig too much.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean if it’s not today it will be Monday

This is what matters - the SCOTUS will not be entertaining Paxton's attempt to get a pardon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

ulmont posted:

Thomas isn’t just loving around here, he’s able to cite to Justice Marshall from 1821 on this point:

“It is most true that this Court will not take jurisdiction if it should but it is equally true, that it must take jurisdiction if it should...We have no more right to decline the exercise of jurisdiction which is given, than to usurp that which is not given.”

That's dicta.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Buh bye. Trump rage tweets imminent.

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/1337541172672258051?s=21

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

For now good. At least have some an easy weekend.

Still some stunts that will be pulled but ok.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

That's dicta.

Supreme Court dicta is more binding than most dicta and some panel opinions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I was wrong. It wasn't a one sentence denial. It was a three sentence denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The dissent was a nice gently caress you from the more conservative arm. "Hey, we would have heard your case, but granted no relief."