Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank god, more people getting to play Y0-6 in sequential order. loving rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Thank god, more people getting to play Y0-6 in sequential order. loving rad.

Hope those people get sent to prison for 18 years because they wont have enough time otherwise

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm surprised they aren't bringing Judgment to PC as well, they may as well go all in.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I'm going insane, finally all my pc buddies can finish the saga

Yakuza 7 postgame question: where in the hell is the Arakawa costume for Ichiban? I saw a dude on yt rocking the outfit in premium adventure and I'm dying to get it myself. it's not in any of the costume packs (not the day Ichi one, the insane $15 one, or any of the trickled out freebies like the security costume for Adachi) and I'm losing my mind. is it unlocked after clearing millennium tower or some poo poo?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

HebrewMagic posted:

Yakuza 7 postgame question: where in the hell is the Arakawa costume for Ichiban? I saw a dude on yt rocking the outfit in premium adventure and I'm dying to get it myself. it's not in any of the costume packs (not the day Ichi one, the insane $15 one, or any of the trickled out freebies like the security costume for Adachi) and I'm losing my mind. is it unlocked after clearing millennium tower or some poo poo?
Might be NG+ only. I have it and the only thing I've done is beat the game and then start NG+.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Hell yeah, PC players can finally play 3 and 5

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

American McGay posted:

Might be NG+ only. I have it and the only thing I've done is beat the game and then start NG+.

I'm confused because I had it before I finished the game and have never done new game plus or premium adventure.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Cactrot posted:

I'm confused because I had it before I finished the game and have never done new game plus or premium adventure.

The internet is full of inconsistent reports on this drat costume, I feel like I'm chasing Goku in smash bros

I'll try NG+ I suppose, I've been itching to go back in anyway

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

HebrewMagic posted:

I had it after I beat the main story and was in premium adventure. :shrug:

Don't recall ever seeing a message that I got it, just went to Hello Work, looked at the Hero job for whatever reason, and there it was under True Hero.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I feel like a clown, I bought a PS4 three months ago just so I could play 3-6 :toot:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Well I guess I know what I'm doing during the next lockdown.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I feel like a clown, I bought a PS4 three months ago just so I could play 3-6 :toot:

Many thank you for your sacrifice.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
:woop::woop::woop:

I did the same, only bought the ps4 last summer and don't regret it one bit. Got laid off when the pandemic hit in March, played all the Yakuzas for months on end then found a new job. Now I'll get laid off again because I sure will be playing through 3-6 on steam.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How does 3, 4, 5, and 6 compare to Yakuza 0?

If I had to guess Yakuza 0 and 6 are probably pretty similar, whereas 3, 4, and 5 might feel a bit dated?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

3&4 are pretty dated, 5 uses the same engine as 0 and is about the same, 6 uses the same engine as K2 and feels a lot more modern.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
got it. ty.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

eonwe posted:

If I had to guess Yakuza 0 and 6 are probably pretty similar, whereas 3, 4, and 5 might feel a bit dated?

6 is like a prototype for Kiwami 2, the first game in the new engine. It's a bit small in terms of features compared to other games but I really liked it, it had that small-town atmosphere and probably the most wholesome story of all the games.

3-5 are a bit dated but I think everyone should at least try all of them. 5 is up there with 0 imo. It's a huge, sprawling and unfocused game (the story's a total mess), just ridiculous. 4 was my first one and it's a pretty good introduction to the series.

efb

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Serves me loving right for going to sleep early. I want to scream but people are sleeping now so I have to be satisfied with typing a bunch of As in a row.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Who would have thought it would be the cowards at Sega who ended up saving the misery that was 2020? :shobon:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

eonwe posted:

Imho 3 is pretty dated, 4 is fine (it has some design issues with one character’s gimmick but idk if I’d really consider it that dated), and 5 is just if a Yakuza game went all the gently caress in on side poo poo and not really any clunkier than 0.

Honestly 6 feels more dated than 5 to me; it’s combat is simplified and just clunky in some ways because of the new engine, it has its own bizarre idiosyncrasies on top of that like how you gain five kinds of experience to pick and choose updates with but two of them are just rare as poo poo and also the substories are really badly handled in a post-remaster world.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i did exactly the same thing but three weeks ago lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Any chance of that 60fps Y6 and K2 goodness on the Xbone Series Box X and the PS5 please and thank you RGG Studios.

Luv u

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

I bought a PS3 just to play Dead Souls, we're all clowns here :v: no regrets though

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Steam had Yakuza 7 on sale so I got it, I’m an hour into my first ever Yakuza and I’m completely and utterly hooked, this is like an awesome crime movie turned into an RPG, this loving rocks. Ichiban rocks.

After I’m done with this I should go play 5 & 6 and see what the hubbub is about.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably better to go for 0 first followed by kiwami and kiwami 2, so that you get them in chronological order and can pick up the story easily.

by that point, once you're done, 3-6 might be out on pc!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Al-Saqr posted:

Steam had Yakuza 7 on sale so I got it, I’m an hour into my first ever Yakuza and I’m completely and utterly hooked, this is like an awesome crime movie turned into an RPG, this loving rocks. Ichiban rocks.

After I’m done with this I should go play 5 & 6 and see what the hubbub is about.

Start with 0 rather than 5 or 6, it's also on Steam and is the most logical starting point for a newcomer.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

HebrewMagic posted:

I have the Hero edition so that might be a factor, but I had it before beating the game. It only shows up for the hero job though, and it's not added at the bottom like you might expect. IIRC it's under the regular hero ascot outfit, under the name "true hero".

Super excited that I get to play the other yakuza games on game pass (even though I'll definitely buy them all to support the studio and releases on other platforms). It's gonna be some serious whiplash going from Like a Dragon to 3, though.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The most jarring transition is between Kiwami 2 and Yakuza 3, because the graphics are from 2009, but when you play 3-4-5-6 in a row it just feels like a normal transition where each game looks nicer than the last. If you compare 0 and Yakuza 4 you're going to notice a huge difference, but while I was playing 4 I didn't think it had bad graphics because it was an improvement from 3, if that makes sense.

Kojiro posted:

I bought a PS3 just to play Dead Souls, we're all clowns here :v: no regrets though

Don't tempt me :argh:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah, as others have said, play them in-universe chronologically. That means Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3, 4, 5, 6.

Yakuza 0 was released after Yakuza 5 as a prequel and jumping-on point for new players, and is the best entry in the series, and the two Kiwami games are remakes of the first and second games. As a result Yakuza 3 will look and play godawfully, so put that one on easy and blast through when you get there.

Don't play backwards down the series, that would be utterly bizarre.

Here's the attract mode trailer thing for Yakuza 0 in case you need convincing to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1DxItA8pE

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Gort posted:

Yeah, as others have said, play them in-universe chronologically. That means Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3, 4, 5, 6.

Yakuza 0 was released after Yakuza 5 as a prequel and jumping-on point for new players, and is the best entry in the series, and the two Kiwami games are remakes of the first and second games. As a result Yakuza 3 will look and play godawfully, so put that one on easy and blast through when you get there.

Don't play backwards down the series, that would be utterly bizarre.

Here's the attract mode trailer thing for Yakuza 0 in case you need convincing to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg1DxItA8pE

I probably played the series in of the dumbest orders, K1, K2, 6, 0,3,4,5,7 but it still has ended up one of my favorite series of all time so :shrug: .

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think 7 (like a dragon) is relatively standalone, although it has some crazy fan service moments if you’ve at least played 0.

But I did 0, K1, K2, 7 and don’t feel like I spoiled too much. I’ll grab the rest on gamepass

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

7 is both a safe and a good starting point, but you're doing yourself a disservice is you don't play 0 especially. ( I think all are worth playing)

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
It's cool to play them in whatever order you're able really, but 7 then 5 would be kinda jarring because 5 in particular leans quite heavily on previous games. If you're starting the series then

Gort posted:

Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza 3, 4, 5, 6
that's the way, and is really achievable as soon as they're on gamepass so why the hell not play them in order? You can put 7 at the start or end of that queue depending on if you care about the fan payoff moments, and Judgment fits wherever

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think 7 (like a dragon) is relatively standalone, although it has some crazy fan service moments if you’ve at least played 0.

It has fanservice for the whole series I reckon. I'm playing K2 for the first time (after playing 0 and 7, and having watched part of an LP of 1) and one third of the substories and characters and such I'm like "hey, I know you from Ichiban's management game !" or "oh so you're the original owner of that cool costume !".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I guess you could watch Terminator 2 and then Terminator 1 and still have a blast, but I think you need more of a reason to decide to play a series out of order than you do to play a series in order

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terminator 2 is really good while Terminator 1 is just good and if you don't like T1 you might not want to go onto T2.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

If you're committed enough to be at the point of planning out the order you're going to watch them in though...

You'd also probably have more fun with 2 after 1 than if you hadn't watched 1 at all, 'cause 1 gives you all the character backstory and sets you up for the big reveal in 2 and and and

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If you wanna go in then start from 0. If you just wanna jump into the new hotness then 7.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just start at 7. That way the disappointment of 0-6 compared to it will feel ok.

Or if you're even more insane like me only play 0-3 then just ignore 4-5-6 yes Im still bitter I don't care how good 6 is KK's story should have ended with 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Im so glad for all the folks who get to play 3-6 now I really enjoyed them. 4 was definitely my least favorite. While it does have one of the best fights Saejima vs Majima it then has the worst boss in the whole series munakata