Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Also, actually using a 'rinse-aid' and stacking your dishes properly is the key to drying. You want the rinse-aid to lower the surface tension of the water, which, combined with proper stacking, allows the water droplets to roll off the dishes from gravity. There's very little water to actually dry on the flat surface of a dish once the big droplets have fallen off.

All dishwashers suck at drying things that have the tendency to collect water, for example: the concave bottom of an upside-down coffee mug, tupperware, and anything that allows water to pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I’ve wondered what rinse aid actually is? I know it’s a surfactant, but it seems odd to add the final clean water rinse.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It reminds me of the stuff you add to the final rinse when developing film. Very slippery.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.
Hey thread, first time posting here (because I’m a first-time prospective buyer). I just put an offer in on a duplex with my brother that we hope to live in. My realtor says, because the property was rented, that in addition to a normal home inspection we should test the house for meth residue.

As a lifelong renter who has never smoked meth, this sort of bugs me. Is this bougie hysteria brought on by fear of The Poors? I imagine if the current tenants were brewing meth it would be pretty obvious. But I guess my question is: is it harmful and common enough that I should go ahead and test for it?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jesse Ventura posted:

Hey thread, first time posting here (because I’m a first-time prospective buyer). I just put an offer in on a duplex with my brother that we hope to live in. My realtor says, because the property was rented, that in addition to a normal home inspection we should test the house for meth residue.

As a lifelong renter who has never smoked meth, this sort of bugs me. Is this bougie hysteria brought on by fear of The Poors? I imagine if the current tenants were brewing meth it would be pretty obvious. But I guess my question is: is it harmful and common enough that I should go ahead and test for it?

I guess I'd ask your realtor if there is some reason he suspects it could be a meth house, beyond it just having been a rental. Has he had other previous rental properties come up positive for meth? Is there a high incidence of meth use/production in the area?

Buying a meth house could be really bad for your health. It's a ~$50 test so I'd probably just do it? I guess I don't see it as some kind of slam on poor people, just trying to be informed as possible before your potentially life-altering purchase.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Jesse Ventura posted:

Buying something expensive without an inexpensive test because you're not being prejudiced against renters is bad with money.

It would be a problem if it's a fee tacked onto rents or deducted from deposits, in this case it's just due diligence and a cost of doing business.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

Word. Yeah it’s a much cheaper test than I thought. Thanks, folks

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Jesse Ventura posted:

Word. Yeah it’s a much cheaper test than I thought. Thanks, folks

You might also check your local laws about meth remediation. I'm half remembering something, but I think some states had a moral panic about meth labs and mandated some really onerous remediation if a structure tested positive, and it lead to high profile horror stories where e.g. someone couldn't sell their house because their dipshit brother in law smoked meth in the garage once.

If there's something like that on the books it might be why your agent is recommending it.

eig
Oct 16, 2008

I'm also "upgrading" from a GE built in 1989 that has an energy saver wash cycle is only 30 minutes long and probably uses 99999 gallons of water. It's going to be a whole new experience for me with modern GE technology that will now take 3 hours probably :-) Though it's going to be nice to have a washer that is no longer crunching/grinding gears and louder than a vacuum!!! I can't run it when going to bed unless I'm blasting the TV over it lmao

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cyrano4747 posted:

You might also check your local laws about meth remediation. I'm half remembering something, but I think some states had a moral panic about meth labs and mandated some really onerous remediation if a structure tested positive, and it lead to high profile horror stories where e.g. someone couldn't sell their house because their dipshit brother in law smoked meth in the garage once.

If there's something like that on the books it might be why your agent is recommending it.
I seem to recall something like this also. I'd be real careful with testing if it it permanently devalued the property. If I was the seller I wouldn't allow it. False positives are a real concern.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
When I hooked my dishwasher up I forgot to turn the water back on and my gf's parents said, "wow it's whisper quiet, can't even hear it"

They must never know!

All my appliances are scratch and dent.

This blog from a major appliance store has helpful data, because they are a full service warranty shop and like to carry reliable units and track which ones give them the most trouble.
https://blog.yaleappliance.com/

They usually do a once a year consumer reports style roundup per category of appliance, google some keywords or search

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Quote is not edit.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

I learned that the primary way people get around the lead laws in Massachusetts is to just never test in any home that almost certainly has lead paint. Then when you sell your home that was built in 1920, you have no knowledge of lead paint and no requirement for remediation!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

One of the houses I was interested in disclosed it used to be a meth lab before the owners bought it and remediated it. It was a really really nice house, huge basement, and a ton of really high end appliances.

I passed on continuing with my offer though. Prior to 2013 it was the wild wild west in terms of remediation standards and it still varies state to state. So you could possibly be slowly poisoning yourself over time and the remediation company could say 'well we met standards at the time'.

Even if that doesnt deter you, yeah as mentioned it can devalue your home as a disclosure if you ever try to sell it later. My realtor said if I was still interested I should offer 30 to 50k less than they were asking right off the bat.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Meth house seems like the ideal helicopter parent house. Kid can study day and night, ace those SATs

Probably a great rental property, you would have no trouble renting it out to medical students etc

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Blackchamber posted:

So you could possibly be slowly poisoning yourself over time
Is there any evidence that this is the case?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

Is there any evidence that this is the case?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/former-meth-lab/

Article from 2010

"Upon moving into a meth house, people have experienced short-term health problems ranging from migraines and respiratory difficulties to skin irritation and burns. Long-term problems are less well known, but the results from a 2009 study in Toxicological Sciences suggest that methamphetamine chemicals may cause cancer in humans. And because children have small, developing bodies and a tendency to play on the ground and put things in their mouths, they are especially susceptible to adverse health effects from meth toxins. "When we go into a lab, if there are children, the first thing we do is take the children to the hospital and assess them for contamination," Smith says."

"And although some states, such as Colorado, Washington and North Carolina, employ effective regulations, some experts think that many may not. In Idaho, for example, a former lab is deemed "clean" when there is less than one tenth of a microgram of methamphetamine per square centimeter in the room where the drug was cooked. If the amount of meth detected is at such a low level, some state regulators think, the precursor chemicals are at low levels too. "We just check for meth," says Jim Faust of Idaho's statewide Clandestine Drug Lab Cleanup Program, based in Boise."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Note that that's for the houses where the drug was actually manufactured. Making meth, especially in a non-laboratory setting, is pretty dirty and has a lot of unpleasant byproducts. You're also dealing with large, large quantities of everything from the original chemicals on through the product.

Basically it's like someone using your kitchen as a chemical factory. So there are some very legitimate health concerns with living in what was essentially an unregulated industrial site for a while.

Where it gets dumb is where people apply the same standards to that kind of contamination as you'll get from one person smoking a few grams. It would be like requiring full housefire cleaning and remediation because someone smoked a cigarette in the living room.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you guys want to show up in the fix it fast thread asking what to do when your bathtub falls through to the main floor, please buy meth house.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Blackchamber posted:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/former-meth-lab/

Article from 2010

"Upon moving into a meth house, people have experienced short-term health problems ranging from migraines and respiratory difficulties to skin irritation and burns. Long-term problems are less well known, but the results from a 2009 study in Toxicological Sciences suggest that methamphetamine chemicals may cause cancer in humans. And because children have small, developing bodies and a tendency to play on the ground and put things in their mouths, they are especially susceptible to adverse health effects from meth toxins. "When we go into a lab, if there are children, the first thing we do is take the children to the hospital and assess them for contamination," Smith says."

"And although some states, such as Colorado, Washington and North Carolina, employ effective regulations, some experts think that many may not. In Idaho, for example, a former lab is deemed "clean" when there is less than one tenth of a microgram of methamphetamine per square centimeter in the room where the drug was cooked. If the amount of meth detected is at such a low level, some state regulators think, the precursor chemicals are at low levels too. "We just check for meth," says Jim Faust of Idaho's statewide Clandestine Drug Lab Cleanup Program, based in Boise."
The threshold for detection is many orders of magnitude below any conceivable biological activity for those compounds. Without a thorough understanding of thresholds for claimed issues, it's fearmongering. Kinda like the studies that show cocaine residue on some really high percentage of $100 bills.

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

Hed posted:

If you guys want to show up in the fix it fast thread asking what to do when your bathtub falls through to the main floor, please buy meth house.

I think this is only true if you try to dissolve the dealer’s body in acid :v:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is HF residue testing not included in your state? Amateurs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

The threshold for detection is many orders of magnitude below any conceivable biological activity for those compounds. Without a thorough understanding of thresholds for claimed issues, it's fearmongering. Kinda like the studies that show cocaine residue on some really high percentage of $100 bills.

Yep. It’s a ton of fearmongering. And in some states it’s fear mongering with disclosure requirements that can damage your ability to sell the property in the future.

poo poo sucks. It shouldn’t be that way. But if you’re dropping $LifeSavings on a house you probably want to double check what your local situation is so you don’t end up with an albatross, no matter how bullshit the reason may be.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Question for anyone who owns or has gone house-hunting in Massachusetts: is it difficult to find a place with modern construction? i.e. has modern and working utilities (no weird round fuses please), has a properly fitted and filtered HVAC system, doesn't look like it was built by a five year old. Are options better the further you get from Boston, or does it suck everywhere?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 11, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Pollyanna posted:

Question for anyone who owns or has gone house-hunting in Massachusetts: is it difficult to find a place with modern construction? i.e. has modern and working utilities (no weird round fuses please), has a properly fitted and filtered HVAC system, doesn't look like it was built by a five year old. Are options better the further you get from Boston, or does it suck everywhere?

Yes, generally there are more modern options further out
(I live in RI and we looked in Southeastern MA)

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

I just spent like 8 months scouring the state. you do get newer construction as you go further out.

New single family homes are rare in the i-95 belt unless you’re talking Wellesley/Weston etc where people will just tear down an older $750k home to built a $2m home. There are some new condo buildings in the area, but not single family.

495 belt towns will have one or two newer subdivisions, but a majority of homes will be 60+ years old. The newer stuff will be $500k+ and McMansion-y

Once you get out towards Worcester (but not actually in Worcester) and head north/south where there’s actually less developed land, you usually see a historic downtown district with a good deal more newer construction as you move to the edge of those towns.

Shrewsbury, Auburn, Clinton, Holden, Oxford, Boylston, grafton, Northbridge, blackstone all have new stuff being built at a pretty good clip. You’ll also get a LOT more for your dollar in those towns (except shrewsbury) compared to places even 10 minutes further east.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
At intermittent times throughout the day (not consistent, not every day, and often in the middle of the night), I'm getting some weird radio-frequency interference in my condo. During these periods, the garage door opener won't work, the remote control for our bedroom ceiling fan/light won't work, and the baby monitor will completely cut out as if the signal is being blocked. The WiFi does not cut out, but it's on 5Ghz band so whatever's going on is probably on the 2.4ghz band. Before we reset some codes on our garage door opener, it would actually open on its own during these periods. When we had our router band on 2.4ghz, it would cut out during these periods as well. It no longer does at 5ghz. I most often notice it around or just after midnight, but that's the time I'd be trying to turn the fan on before bed, listening for the baby monitor, etc.

I'm at a loss for what would be only occasionally loving with every 2.4ghz device in the condo. Any ideas? I feel like electrical wiring wouldn't be intermittent like this, but that's based on whatever the hell I'm pulling out of my rear end really.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sundae posted:

At intermittent times throughout the day (not consistent, not every day, and often in the middle of the night), I'm getting some weird radio-frequency interference in my condo. During these periods, the garage door opener won't work, the remote control for our bedroom ceiling fan/light won't work, and the baby monitor will completely cut out as if the signal is being blocked. The WiFi does not cut out, but it's on 5Ghz band so whatever's going on is probably on the 2.4ghz band. Before we reset some codes on our garage door opener, it would actually open on its own during these periods. When we had our router band on 2.4ghz, it would cut out during these periods as well. It no longer does at 5ghz. I most often notice it around or just after midnight, but that's the time I'd be trying to turn the fan on before bed, listening for the baby monitor, etc.

I'm at a loss for what would be only occasionally loving with every 2.4ghz device in the condo. Any ideas? I feel like electrical wiring wouldn't be intermittent like this, but that's based on whatever the hell I'm pulling out of my rear end really.
Microwaves can cause issues like this

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Microwaves can cause issues like this

I'm not buying it being a microwave (at least not a home consumer thing) because (1) it'd have to be be a neighbor's microwave affecting things through walls and multiple floors, and (2) the midnight outage often last for 15+ minutes continuously, and once for at least 45min before I went and slept on the floor of the nursery to make sure I didn't miss anything.

This is going to sound like a conspiracy-theory question, but it's more that I just don't know: the park across the street from us has pretty regular police activity in it right now due to the growing homeless population here during COVID-times, plus it being a hangout spot for rowdy (read: perfectly ordinary) teenagers with nothing else to do late at night. Is there anything they could be using during enforcement (be it radio transmission, cell blockers, etc etc?) that would interfere with nearby residences?

I'm just confused about what causes it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My neighbor's microwave was causing this issue; my wireless keyboard would just stop working. I called in to maintenance and got his microwave replaced, problem went away.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I got to hear a new sound today, the moisture alarm positioned under my washing machine. Thankfully it's just a slow drip from the door. There was a buildup of hair where it's supposed to seal. I cleaned that up and it still leaks a little.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

2.4 is a trash spectrum for trash people.

Stingrays and other cell fun are on different frequencies and at lower power/further away than your neighbors microwave; the 1000 watt microwave in your neighbor vs .1 watt wifi is the most likely suspect, but there’s so much garbage on that spectrum, who knows.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Big, industrial LED lights and motion sensors can kill wifi. Can't think of too much that's associated with police enforcement though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KS posted:

Big, industrial LED lights and motion sensors can kill wifi. Can't think of too much that's associated with police enforcement though.

Thanks re: police stuff. Just had no idea, so asked. I can see it being big LED lights - all the lighting around us is LED and some of them are wayyyy too bright. My only confusion is why it wouldn't be every night then or why I occasionally can't get into the garage during the day, when it's impacting everything then.

quote:

2.4 is a trash spectrum for trash people.

This is not quite as helpful. :downs: 2.4 is basically what everything stupid little consumer device under the sun runs on, and like I said, my wifi isn't affected because it's on 5ghz anyway.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Sundae posted:

Thanks re: police stuff. Just had no idea, so asked. I can see it being big LED lights - all the lighting around us is LED and some of them are wayyyy too bright. My only confusion is why it wouldn't be every night then or why I occasionally can't get into the garage during the day, when it's impacting everything then.

This is not quite as helpful. :downs: 2.4 is basically what everything stupid little consumer device under the sun runs on, and like I said, my wifi isn't affected because it's on 5ghz anyway.

I've seen weird things affect 2.4ghz like certain kinds of generators that somehow emit the frequency (maybe induct it) . Some industrial paint drying done with microwaves and a few pieces of industrial equipment can do it but it's more rare.

If a neighbor is using ultrawide frequencies on 2.4ghz or sitting in any channels between 1, 6 , or 11 it can overlap and cause interference with the adjacent channels. Like some rear end in a top hat setting his 2.4ghz wifi to channel 9 would interfere with channel 6 and 11.

They're only 20mhz wide with almost no room in between.

Bluetooth(scans 1mhz throughout the rf band), wireless keyboards and mice, 2.4ghz gaming controllers, some brands of cordless phones sold in the 1990s, wireless speakers all contribute and interfere. I think some parts of the LTE band can interfere with channel 1 on 2.4ghz.

Additionally any personal hotspots tethering your cell to wifi

Just combine any combo of any of this and 2.4ghz is as said earlier a garbage spectrum.

If any neighbors are using channel 1 and you are using channel 1 it can interfere etc. If you have three neighbors at least one if going to interfere on the 2.4ghz channel you are using. It's worse if they are an idiot and set it to channel 4 or 9 etc as it's going to overlap the real channels.

Edit: oh, also any mesh wifi solutions use 2.4ghz as the back channel between them even if serves up 5ghz only, so Orbi and other wifi extenders can eat up 2.4ghz real fast and curbstomp other devices with noise and interference. Wifi boosters and rf signal amplifiers as well.

Edit2: also wifi routers and access points will switch channels to avoid interference. Which might be impacting you when or if they do switch in the 2.4ghz space you occupy. If someone has a professional setup and sees YOU as the interference there are nasty ways to contain rogues which essentially sends de-auth and other signal clearing jamming to get your devices to not talk. But this is pretty much speculation. (But could explain the timing as it won't kick in until it sees your interference.)

Or someone has a jammer and wants to make 2.4ghz unuseable for everyone so they all do go out and buy 5ghz routers.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 13, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

I am Communist posted:

I've seen weird things affect 2.4ghz like certain kinds of generators that somehow emit the frequency (maybe induct it) . Some industrial paint drying done with microwaves and a few pieces of industrial equipment can do it but it's more rare.

If a neighbor is using ultrawide frequencies on 2.4ghz or sitting in any channels between 1, 6 , or 11 it can overlap and cause interference with the adjacent channels. Like some rear end in a top hat setting his 2.4ghz wifi to channel 9 would interfere with channel 6 and 11.

They're only 20mhz wide with almost no room in between.

Bluetooth(scans 1mhz throughout the rf band), wireless keyboards and mice, 2.4ghz gaming controllers, some brands of cordless phones sold in the 1990s, wireless speakers all contribute and interfere. I think some parts of the LTE band can interfere with channel 1 on 2.4ghz.

Additionally any personal hotspots tethering your cell to wifi

Just combine any combo of any of this and 2.4ghz is as said earlier a garbage spectrum.

If any neighbors are using channel 1 and you are using channel 1 it can interfere etc. If you have three neighbors at least one if going to interfere on the 2.4ghz channel you are using. It's worse if they are an idiot and set it to channel 4 or 9 etc as it's going to overlap the real channels.

Edit: oh, also any mesh wifi solutions use 2.4ghz as the back channel between them even if serves up 5ghz only, so Orbi and other wifi extenders can eat up 2.4ghz real fast and curbstomp other devices with noise and interference. Wifi boosters and rf signal amplifiers as well.

Edit2: also wifi routers and access points will switch channels to avoid interference. Which might be impacting you when or if they do switch in the 2.4ghz space you occupy. If someone has a professional setup and sees YOU as the interference there are nasty ways to contain rogues which essentially sends de-auth and other signal clearing jamming to get your devices to not talk. But this is pretty much speculation. (But could explain the timing as it won't kick in until it sees your interference.)

Or someone has a jammer and wants to make 2.4ghz unuseable for everyone so they all do go out and buy 5ghz routers.

Thanks a bunch for this. I can detect wireless networks for about 20 units around me, and when I'm not having signal interference, the baby monitor will still work a full block away (about 9-10 units). Depending on what other devices are interfering (if I can reach their poo poo, they can reach mine), realistically I have somewhere in the range of ~40 different units that could be competing with me. These are all three-floor units with narrow footprints, so there are a ton of units in a relatively small footprint, given the sqftage of the units. I'll just have to see what I can switch out; the only one that's a deal-breaker on not having working is the baby monitor (I can deal with not being able to change the fan setting, but I want that baby monitor working).

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
https://www.amazon.com/Victure-Dualband-Wireless-Security-Detection/dp/B07WNLQCB9

Some of these baby monitors do 5ghz wifi I think

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Kitchen Reno Question:

If the installers messed up the placement enough to cause them to be unaligned and not be able to fit appliances, how long does it take for them to take down and rehang the cabinets? What risk is there to these new cabinets, and if they mess them up, what is the recourse?

Work has stopped and I’m going over with it the lead contractor on Wednesday (right before a snowstorm, ffs) so I’m trying to picture what this conversation is going to be like.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Nybble posted:

Kitchen Reno Question:

If the installers messed up the placement enough to cause them to be unaligned and not be able to fit appliances, how long does it take for them to take down and rehang the cabinets? What risk is there to these new cabinets, and if they mess them up, what is the recourse?

Work has stopped and I’m going over with it the lead contractor on Wednesday (right before a snowstorm, ffs) so I’m trying to picture what this conversation is going to be like.

This is one of those questions that when asked, just leads to more questions.

Why were the cabinets getting installed without appliances onsite? If there is a good reason for that (appliance supply chain is hosed at the moment), why is this something you need to have a conversation about - shouldn't your general contractor just fix the issue?

If they are good cabinets and good installers, there is zero risk. The recourse is whatever your contract says the recourse is. The amount of time it will take is exactly the amount of time it took to put them up in the first place, if they need to move them all. There is less time spent unboxing, inspecting, and aligning the cabinets, but that gets eaten up by the time spent carefully removing the cabinets.

If you can give some more context it would be helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tezer posted:

The recourse is whatever your contract says the recourse is.

The real answer, short and sweet.