Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cheese sandwich at the café opposite my first "proper" job in 1989 was sold like that and cost 20p (and that was West End prices) so could even be later.

It can probably be nailed down from the Penguin and Golden Wonder packaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think the plan from the Tories was, and to an extent still is, to play brinksmanship and signal that you’re totally willing to commit national suicide and have no deal so that you hold the upper hand in negotiations. So it’s them trying to attract us not to do a terrible thing for everyone, instead of us begging for scraps to keep our country afloat.

However, I also think that a lifetime of propaganda, and ramping up in intensity over the last few years, has been swallowed by the idiots in charge, and every day the thoughts of “you know what, we SHOULD do no deal, Britannia rules the waves, we’ll bounce back stronger than ever, good old Blighty sneers in the face of foreign cowards, and we’re such brain geniuses we’re the perfect people to guide the country through these waters, and also our supporters will go mental if we seem to capitulate” grow stronger and stronger in what suffices for a mind in these people.

The plan from the Tories is simply to crash out - the worse the deal, the more money they (and theor donors) make, that's it.
The rest of it just performative bullshit to pretend it's not what they want all along.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1337381290677575682?s=21

That terrifying feeling when you can see history in the writing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Them collapsing seems like it would actually be the desirable, positive outcome. What they're actually doing is continuing to bake their poo poo filled burnt mess of a cake loving up the national oven forever.
We had an oven-ready deal but those dastardly EU bureaucrats set the drat thing to grill!!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
His last line there...

'...come out on world trade terms'

Thats what would have happened if you'd never even gone to brussels to negotiate in the first place. Thats the total failure option.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My guinea pig has fallen asleep on me, my lunch break finished 10 minutes ago, I'm meant to be going back to work...

I envy the simple life of my pets sometimes. She knows nothing of covid, or brexit. Doesn't even know what a Boris is.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Time to up that stockpile again, I guess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lungboy posted:

Snack bars were branded as MacRobertson's, not Cadbury's, before 1974, and that box looks like the 1960-1985 logo. That gives a range of 1974-1985 if we assume they just like round numbers for the prices, or 1984-85 if we assume the ½ is already gone, and also that this fine establishment wouldn't sell old sock past its date,

goddamnedtwisto posted:

so could even be later.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

https://flashbak.com/glorious-colour-photographs-of-london-in-1972-379690/ this page claims 1972, but then those prices feel way high - 15p in 1972 is £2 today, more or less. Another site claims it's at Waterloo Station though so... maybe? The rest of the photos are very definitely early 70s at the latest.

My 20p cheese sandwich would be 50p today, which is on the cheap side for a prepared sandwich but this was definitely a cheap sandwich. and doesn't feel outside the realm of possibility especially with the way bread prices loving skyrocketed in the late naughties.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

My guinea pig has fallen asleep on me, my lunch break finished 10 minutes ago, I'm meant to be going back to work...

I envy the simple life of my pets sometimes. She knows nothing of covid, or brexit. Doesn't even know what a Boris is.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Time to up that stockpile again, I guess.

These two posts one after the other remind me that there's good eating on a guinea pig, and I suspect clean protein is going to be in short supply...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

NotJustANumber99 posted:

His last line there...

'...come out on world trade terms'

Thats what would have happened if you'd never even gone to brussels to negotiate in the first place. Thats the total failure option.

we'll end up parading around with our Enceladus type trade deal. If if that fails, there's always Telesto terms, or a Hyperion arrangement!

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

What a time to have moved to the UK. Involuntary first row seats to history. I hope the doom and gloom about stockpiling is exaggerated.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

These two posts one after the other remind me that there's good eating on a guinea pig, and I suspect clean protein is going to be in short supply...

:stonk:

Your diner invite is rescinded!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Aeble posted:

What a time to have moved to the UK. Involuntary first row seats to history. I hope the doom and gloom about stockpiling is exaggerated.

Nope. Just had a builder around to look at doing our patio, says the builders merchants are almost out of most stuff. Wood usually comes from France, and they dont forsee any coming til middle of next year. Missus works at a warehouse, they are expecting to lose 25% of customers and get no stock for at least 3 months (and they stopped getting most a month ago as the importers cant afford to £10k a container it costs at the moment, compared to 1-2k it used to be). poo poo is hosed up behind the scenes, it's gonna start leaking through soon.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aeble posted:

It is slightly exaggerated, but there will definitely be a few gaps in the shelves through January. I've got a couple of weeks worth of tinned and frozen food just in case I can't be bothered getting to the shops, and it's not a *bad* idea to have some stuff in the house just in case.

(The people talking about stockpiling hexy and shelf-stable foods are probably hanging around with the wrong kind of Americans on the internet, but as long as they're not bankrupting themselves to do so will at least have some nice supplies for a few camping holidays)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It is slightly exaggerated

Is it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cheese sandwich at the café opposite my first "proper" job in 1989 was sold like that and cost 20p (and that was West End prices) so could even be later.

This was stolen from me. Look at how tasty and lacking in plastic the sandwiches are!

This is me falling in love with aesthetics over actual importance, but I would love a toasted sandwich for 17p.

When I was last up north I tried to get a sausage and bean bap and the only place that did it charged £2.50 and it wasn't actually nice. I am angry about sandwiches.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 11, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OzyMandrill posted:

Nope. Just had a builder around to look at doing our patio, says the builders merchants are almost out of most stuff. Wood usually comes from France, and they dont forsee any coming til middle of next year. Missus works at a warehouse, they are expecting to lose 25% of customers and get no stock for at least 3 months (and they stopped getting most a month ago as the importers cant afford to £10k a container it costs at the moment, compared to 1-2k it used to be). poo poo is hosed up behind the scenes, it's gonna start leaking through soon.

Interesting! I wondered why the wood sections of the local hardware store were looking very empty lately!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It is slightly exaggerated, but there will definitely be a few gaps in the shelves through January. I've got a couple of weeks worth of tinned and frozen food just in case I can't be bothered getting to the shops, and it's not a *bad* idea to have some stuff in the house just in case.

(The people talking about stockpiling hexy and shelf-stable foods are probably hanging around with the wrong kind of Americans on the internet, but as long as they're not bankrupting themselves to do so will at least have some nice supplies for a few camping holidays)

What is 'hexy'? Professor Google was no help.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Solid smokeless fuel, sometimes actual hexamine.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What is 'hexy'? Professor Google was no help.

A sexy witch.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Plasterboard is what I had been told to worry about. Corona caused a shortage and brexit might too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

There are people talking about it (and buying up supplies) as if there will be literally no food on the shelves for weeks at a time.

Like I say, I don't doubt there will be gaps on the shelves, and the stuff that will be available might not be too appetising, but we're talking more like the first two weeks of the first lockdown as supply lines are reorganised (and people panic buy), not Arduous March-style boiling up grass and tree bark and a generation of kids a foot shorter than the French. It makes sense to have enough food that you like in the house to cover you for that, it doesn't make sense to start stocking up on ship's biscuits and water purification tablets.

(Incidentally I still say Camrath missed a trick by not doing a line of Brexit-ready Kendal Mint Cake and lifeboat rations last month)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I would expect around 30-50% markup on food on the shelves tho.
(More if you rely on the budget/saver versions as those will just not be there any more)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've basically got regular stuff - flour, sugar, chickpeas, tinned fruit, that kind of thing - so once things have calmed down and I've eaten it all I can get back to regular shopping.

The question is, do you really want to be shopping when everyone else has cottoned onto there being shortages, in the middle of a pandemic, during the season it can most easily spread, when we're still a ways off everyone being vaccinated?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

This was stolen from me. Look at how tasty and lacking in plastic the sandwiches are!

This is me falling in love with aesthetics over actual importance, but I would love a toasted sandwich for 17p.

When I was last up north I tried to get a sausage and bean bap and the only place that did it charged £2.50 and it wasn't actually nice. I am angry about sandwiches.

If you want a bread treat served that way, head for the Brick Lane beigel shops on a Sunday, they still sell them that way (during the week they make them to order but on market days the queue is literally 30 or 40 deep even with the "just grab them from the box" serving style). Not *quite* that cheap but still around a quid for everything apart from salt beef.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I agree that there's not going to be more than 2 consecutive weeks of shortages without things getting Very Bad, but I think there'll be more than 2 total weeks of shortages next year as the supply lines etc. readjust.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Plasterboard is what I had been told to worry about. Corona caused a shortage and brexit might too.

Just stop eating plasterboard, problem solved.

(I thought we actually exported quite a bit of prepared construction materials, especially plasterboard, because gypsum mining is one of the very few extractive industries we still had, but that was quite a few years ago so I don't know if that's still the case)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I know they closed the big British Gypsum plant around here during the first wave of Covid, but it's apparently open now. That's going to cause supply shock though because they were big on "construction must continue at all costs" while closing things that supply construction.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm not expecting anything dramatic, just a general, "Everything gets a bit more poo poo" as prices increase across the board and jobs get scarcer and worse.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Gort posted:

I'm not expecting anything dramatic, just a general, "Everything gets a bit more poo poo" as prices increase across the board and jobs get scarcer and worse.

As long as the bins keep being collected, you could have rape gangs marauding through every major town in the country and most Tory voters would still think Boris is doing a good job

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/skynews/status/1337381290677575682?s=21

That terrifying feeling when you can see history in the writing.

I think this proves beyond all reasonable doubt that no-deal was the intention all along. He's just waited until the last possible moment before dropping the mask to minimise backlash.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I was at the supermarket yesterday and one thing that really stood out to me was how bare the spice shelves were, with a little ticket on them advising the expected next delivery date to be the 7th of January.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you want a bread treat served that way, head for the Brick Lane beigel shops on a Sunday, they still sell them that way (during the week they make them to order but on market days the queue is literally 30 or 40 deep even with the "just grab them from the box" serving style). Not *quite* that cheap but still around a quid for everything apart from salt beef.

I think I may have to. Working most Sundays, but would like to have a beigel.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Still can't get over how many people still think Johnson is doing a good job on both covid-19 and brexit. "He's doing the best he can" for covid and "The EU are playing hardball" for brexit.
One of the red tops has "All we want is our freedom" as its big front page headline in the supermarket today - don't know which one, probably the Express.

Gonna have to stay off Facebook for a few days, I'm getting mouth frothy every time I see that disgusting repellent scumbucket's face.

*fixed grammo

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 11, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

kingturnip posted:

As long as the bins keep being collected, you could have rape gangs marauding through every major town in the country and most Tory voters would still think Boris is doing a good job

What if the rape-gang turns its attentions towards my bins? :gonk:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I was at the supermarket yesterday and one thing that really stood out to me was how bare the spice shelves were, with a little ticket on them advising the expected next delivery date to be the 7th of January.

In my case no mustard seeds in my local Tesco for the last 2 months. :argh:

Was at the official Toyota dealership and he was worried about getting parts in after December, actually saw a huge smile on his face when a load of parts arrived while there.

My last item from Amazon.de arrived, nothing more getting ordered unless an Amazon.ie suddenly pops up after brexit (i'm in N.I. and rumours abound but nothing certain).

A final excursion for tinned veg + bottled water tomorrow and i'm set for two months of sweet, sweet solitude if required.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

What if the rape-gang turns its attentions towards my bins? :gonk:

Yeah, probably best to stockpile a few Mr. T costumes just in case!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kingturnip posted:

Tory voters only care about rape gangs when they're brown

white rape gangs have been in the country for decades now, they're called the clergy

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think I've had the first taste of Brexit Yet To Come. A couple of weeks ago I asked my local garage to source a (non-essential, fortunately) part for my old Citroen. Made by Valeo in Czechia, shipped from France. It took four days to arrive and it turned out it wasn't the right part. Two days ago the garage tracked down the right part, also from Valeo in France...and it's a six-week estimated delivery with £45 extra shipping charge. So my part will be wending its way in the new year just as Kent becomes a lorry park.

It's inconvenient for me and no more, but it's going to be much worse for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Still can't get over how many people still think Johnson is doing a good job on both covid-19 and brexit. "He's doing the best he can" for covid and "The EU are playing hardball" for brexit.
One of the red tops has "All we want is our freedom" as it's big front page headline in the supermarket today - don't know which one, probably the Express.

Gonna have to stay off Facebook for a few days, I'm getting mouth frothy every time I see that disgusting repellent scumbucket's face.

The British cannot ever admit they are wrong and can rationalise anything, no matter how bad.

The only way to get them to stop doing something bad is to offer something else so they can say they never did the bad thing and that who ever was in favour of it was an idiot.