Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Frog Act posted:

So far I've done like a dozen of the police quests with no discernible effect other than eddies flowing into my account. the police don't acknowledge you, the other gang members don't acknowledge you, the public doesn't acknowledge you, nobody seems to be aware that i've singlehandedly murdered like 150 gang members in the neighborhood over the course of a day.

If you are talking about clearing up those Assaults and Robberies, are you making sure you collect all the evidence by looting a bag or container after? It doesn’t count as finished until everything is fully looted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bold Robot posted:

Does the player avatar look weirdly blurry in menus and for anyone else? The graphics look great for me overall, running it on a 3080 with everything maxed and film grain etc. turned off. But when I'm in the inventory screen, and also when I'm at a mirror, V looks blurry.

Turning off DLSS helps a lot to make V look better pretty much anywhere (for me on a 3090). Character creation, mirrors, and photo mode (edit: also inventory ofc) are where I've seen improvement.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 11, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

User0015 posted:

This is me.

The game has been absolutely fantastic so far, even with a bunch of minor rendering bugs and weird physics jank. But the control scheme can be so counter-intuitive, and I've skipped more than one cutscene because I was stealthing while it was playing and I tried to stand up. Having only two quick binds is also incredibly limiting. Where is my quick wheel of actions, or letting me bind 0-9 instead of 1-3? V gotta eat after all, and I hate digging through 3 menus to chow noodles.

But I also went with a ninja cyborg build, and with even a slight upgrade with melee weapons, I am one shotting dudes while in stealth and it feels absolutely perfect. On the other hand, I cannot seem to get the "attack from above" perk to trigger correctly, so I'm not 100% ninja yet.

I'm pretty sure you can use Ctrl to Stealth in addition to C. Does Ctrl also skip cutscenes?

My "biggest minor gripe" is that sometimes it shows the F key with a down arrow, and other times it just says like "[F] (Hold)" :shrug:

And I assume the "1-3 instead of full number row" is probably just "because consoles" jank, sadly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tiny thing I like. When making conversation choices you can scroll through them OR just look at who/what you want to respond to.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What’s the best way to level athletics? The only time I saw myself gain exp in it was when I was jumping around on a building, should I morrowind style leap around a bit when I’m going places?

Also is it reasonable to take all base stats to five? For instance, I don’t intend to invest in technical ability much, but I’d love to be able to craft better grenades - would having 5 TA allow me to use recipes even if I don’t invest more than 1-2 points in the crafting tree (just enough for the crafting rares ability, I guess?). Or am I already gonna spread myself too thin putting 1-2 points in tech/cold blood/quickhacking/crafting while focusing on handguns and assault?

Also it’s interesting precision rifles are under annihilation, they seem to be better than sniper rifles for sniping, at least in the early game, so it presents a bit of a conundrum skill wise. You can only max 2.5 trees right? So with my random skill investments I’ll probably be able to only max handguns and either assault or annihilation, I suppose, and I’m having a tough time deciding which way to go

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm working, but I stick my head in here from time to time when I need to build the game or in long meetings. Twitter is way too toxic right now and reddit is a total dump even in the best of times.

This place can be nasty too, lots of angry folk, which is fine and understandable, but I think the toxicity is much lower overall. Tolerable.

And glad to see all the people who are enjoying it. Thank you for the kind words. I don't have much control over a lot of the stuff people are pissed about, so I'm glad people seem to mostly be responding well to the stuff my team did.

Yeah I just wanted to tell you I've spent 13 hours still in the prologue just wandering the small district doing gigs and exploring. I've had one graphical bug this entire time. Team did a hell of a job, and outside of one friend that tried playing on PS5 every person I know personally playing it is loving it.

Game is good and a hell of an accomplishment.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

I'm working, but I stick my head in here from time to time when I need to build the game or in long meetings. Twitter is way too toxic right now and reddit is a total dump even in the best of times.

This place can be nasty too, lots of angry folk, which is fine and understandable, but I think the toxicity is much lower overall. Tolerable.

And glad to see all the people who are enjoying it. Thank you for the kind words. I don't have much control over a lot of the stuff people are pissed about, so I'm glad people seem to mostly be responding well to the stuff my team did.

It really is fun, all other issues aside. I trust CDPR as the maker of my favorite game of all time in TW3.

THAT BEING SAID if I sent you my manifesto about genital and breast configuration changes the game desperately needs would you pass it on to the appropriate teams? For example, I would like to see hundreds of nipple configurations. TIA

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

i am a moron posted:

For example, I would like to see hundreds of nipple configurations. TIA

I too would like to see a configuration for my character to have hundreds of nipples. Just covered head to toe in them.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Also would love to see the ability to make a veinier dong and adjust the height and size of the ballsack. Thank you sir.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

I said come in! posted:

Which is weird because Giant Bomb was saying that they are relentless and never give up. Before the Day 1 patch. So they got seriously nerfed before launch.

giant bomb say a lot of things

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Orange Crush Rush posted:

If you are talking about clearing up those Assaults and Robberies, are you making sure you collect all the evidence by looting a bag or container after? It doesn’t count as finished until everything is fully looted

Oh yeah for sure, I’ve looted everything visible every time I’ve done one, they just seem to be quick one off things that don’t effect the narrative, V’s relationship with police or criminals, etc

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006

Powered by alcohol

I don't think I have the refined vision to truly appreciate this game if the internet is to be believed, but the ps4 pro is works great for me. Does this game deserve its own thread to separate game discussions from technical discussions yet?

This game is pretty amazing. Is there any advice on stat investing? If i don't want any of the perks for my build, it investing in the stat associated with it wasted ie: points in body with no body perks. Is there new game+?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I forgot to ask, what’s the best use of hacking and how does the mini game work?
How can I use hacking to my advantage? I don’t find it useful beyond using breach to induce mass vulnerability on everyone. Or hacking access points for money.

By the way if you use the auto-scrap junk skill you miss out on 750 ED or more in potential junk sales.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kraftwerk posted:

I forgot to ask, what’s the best use of hacking and how does the mini game work?
How can I use hacking to my advantage? I don’t find it useful beyond using breach to induce mass vulnerability on everyone.

It overlaps with stealth real well, hacking cameras & turrets and hacking people through cameras.

e: The big thing is getting the cheap perk that lets you regenerate RAM in combat, otherwise it's almost useless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No reason to believe they were lying.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You also get Street Cred, which is important for getting more side content.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Side mission guy for Pacifica is called Mr. Hands...

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

How can I use hacking to my advantage? I don’t find it useful beyond using breach to induce mass vulnerability on everyone. Or hacking access points for money.

By the way if you use the auto-scrap junk skill you miss out on 750 ED or more in potential junk sales.

you alternate choosing the hexadecimal numbers by column and row. it doesn't matter if you start with a column that doesn't begin with the number you need for the hack you're trying to do as long as you get to it by the time ends. if the numbers work for it, you can also chain them, I think?

you also have unlimited time in the screen before beginning the minigame to plan although I think time still flows outside of it so if someone doesn't like what you're doing, they can come shoot you

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Phenotype posted:

I apologize for adding to what's probably a ton of white noise PC questions, but how's performance on a 1080 Ti? Gonna jump into this in a little bit, although I'm a little bummed that this is probably the first game I play that I won't be able to run at Ultra settings on 4K. Or even turn all the RTX features on!

Running on a 1080 non TI it's not too bad the game defaulted to ultra and (obvs no RTX) will probably turn it down though as I want a few more FPS.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Oh yeah for sure, I’ve looted everything visible every time I’ve done one, they just seem to be quick one off things that don’t effect the narrative, V’s relationship with police or criminals, etc

Oh as far as I can tell it just helps you earn some Street Cred.
Although I can't say for sure, but it feels like some gangs are a bit more hostile to me now after doing a bunch of them.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

longtimelurker posted:

This game is pretty amazing. Is there any advice on stat investing? If i don't want any of the perks for my build, it investing in the stat associated with it wasted ie: points in body with no body perks. Is there new game+?

All of your Attributes give some sort of Passive effect, so it's not wasted if you find that passive effect relevant to your play style even if you don't care for the Perks in the tree.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Sab669 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can use Ctrl to Stealth in addition to C. Does Ctrl also skip cutscenes?

Ctrl does not. It should be noted as well that C toggles crouch, while Ctrl only holds it for the keypress. Yes you can press C to get into crouch mode and then switch it off by tapping Ctrl, but sometimes muscle memory just takes over and you go to tap C and gently caress up your dialog. It's a pretty poor design choice.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Sab669 posted:

My "biggest minor gripe" is that sometimes it shows the F key with a down arrow, and other times it just says like "[F] (Hold)" :shrug:

And I assume the "1-3 instead of full number row" is probably just "because consoles" jank, sadly.

It's a modern AAA game. It was literally designed from the ground up to work better with controllers like every other game in the past decade unfortunately.

Sucks that you can't remap keys without editing config files.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

No reason to believe they were lying.

lol come on son

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

You also get Street Cred, which is important for getting more side content.

Getting Street Cred by helping the Cops sounds backwards to my punk rear end

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do you ever get a free respec or is the only way this 100k thing in the shops?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Your game is good and you should feel good.

There wasn't an FPS/RPG worth playing that wasn't a bit janky at launch. It just comes from adding interesting/interactive systems into the game.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.

Kraftwerk posted:

So I have some general gameplay questions I could use some help with.

1. Should I bother with stealth? I usually play stealth for elaborate takedowns and generally being this scary ghost who goes in and out of areas undetected and getting serious recognition for it. I find stealth very difficult to understand and spec for. The guards are laid out in a way where you must appear in front of them at some point. Trying to take them out alerts everyone else so I inevitably default to killing everyone like a one woman wrecking ball.

2. Does non-lethal vs lethal matter? Like you help the NCPD with assaults and other criminals. Do you have the option to knock out the criminals and deliver them to the cops? Are you a “bad” person for killing them instead?
Also sometimes civilians accidentally get caught in the crossfire and the cops come after you. Is that going to be a problem for you later? Right now I think it only matters where you are asked specifically not to kill anyone.

3. Are there allies you can get to come help you after you do them favours or was that a marketing gimmick?

4. Where do you get stuff like Katanas, non lethal weapons or something better than a D5 copperhead? Thus far the only guns I’ve found are tech double barrel guns, a tech pistol, unity pistols, the copperhead and the bull pup AmG.

5. Is there a way to shop to make your character look good? Does crafting properly keep up with the stuff you can find or are there rare purple items that eventually matter more? I have a corpo character so I want to make her look good doing everything rather than a mismatch of different armor pieces that give me better stats.
All the hats don’t look very good and I don’t think there’s a hide helmets option.

Right now I look like a retired future-marine who kept a few pieces of his old kit and blended it with some casual leather clothes. I almost look like a guest star on supernatural.

I'm not very far into the story yet so I can't answer all of your questions, but here's my take on em.

1. Stealth pairs really well with hacking, even if you don't spec into an int/hacking build. Hack vending machines, tvs, or whatever to get enemies to look the opposite direction or use the quickhacks whistle and call for help to position enemies where you want em then get in there and stealth KO them.

2. Non-lethal vs lethal only seems to matter for certain missions. I'm playing cold blooded ex-corp so I kill everyone. Even when I knock people out, I go back around the room afterwards and put a bullet in their head. No one has objected to methods yet, except if I accidentally kill someone that I was supposed to leave alive for a mission.

4. The melee weapon vendor outside your apartment sells katanas and they can drop from enemies. Seems like Tiger gang has them mostly. A lot of the better guns seem like they are actually just the same version of gun, just with better stats. There is some variety, but not a lot early game.

5. There are clothing shops and stuff. Getting your street cred up unlocks more clothing and gear options in the stores. I think the Stats page has a list of bonuses for street cred and they mostly revolve around getting vendors to stock better poo poo. I haven't gone too far into regular crafting, but you can keep finding new stuff to replace your gear. Upgrading is pretty expensive if your are packing legendary gear since you don't find a ton of it to salvage for legendary upgrade components. As far as armor goes, like 2/3rds of my armor comes from a legendary subdermal implant and all of my gear is slotted with crit strike chance. I'm playing on hard difficulty and it gives me enough of a cushion that I can take a few blows and med.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I'm still enjoying it even if it's a wonky mess more often then not.

It also does a lot of things very good. I personally think the new dialogue system is a great idea and a good alternative to the cutscene dialogues of every other game. Sound design and music is perfect. They've managed to not do the overused cliché bass (think theres even a term for what I mean) sounds like Battlefield and other did over and over again but gave weapons clear sounds too so there is actually the impression of physical interaction from it without sounding cheap (contrary to most weapons actual behevior though :v: ) For a lot of bad ideas there also is a good one in the game.

I'm hoping that hacking will become more fun later on and doesn't only end in "more damage" or disabling things. This was the single reason why Watch Dogs 2 was fun, because turning gangs against cops was an option.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

fadam posted:

Do you ever get a free respec or is the only way this 100k thing in the shops?

I didn't pay close attention to reviews before the game launched, but I skimmed one video and I think they said you gotta buy it and that's it.

Maybe there's a quest that gives a respec :shrug:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Sab669 posted:

think of it as less "helping cops" and more "stopping people from getting robbed/raped/murdered" because that is for sure what is going to happen to them if nobody else stops them

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Giant Bomb's coverage just strikes me as dickheads who don't care about the game fishing for bugs for the lols

Like a lot of heavily critical reviews (for a game that's averaging 91 on Metacritic, anyway) were what I consider good reviews because they were clear about what they thought was good or bad about it. My experience has been better than theirs but I see where they were coming from & why.

Giant Bomb just seem like some lazy jerkoffs to me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

think of it as less "helping cops" and more "stopping people from getting robbed/raped/murdered" because that is for sure what is going to happen to them if nobody else stops them

But per the Street Kid background, "Down here the law of the jungle dictates the weak serve the strong" :colbert:

I ain't trying to be a good person in this game lol.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Yeah I don't like that either. Let the gangs do their thing to be perfectly honest.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I've noticed most (if not all?) crime in progress locations will have the civilians get executed after x amount of time if you don't kill the enemies first.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I don’t mind the jank, bugs, or frame rate on PS4 Pro. I just wish the game wouldn’t crash.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

But per the Street Kid background, "Down here the law of the jungle dictates the weak serve the strong" :colbert:

I ain't trying to be a good person in this game lol.

Exactly lol, as far as I am concerned, the 2077 world encourages you to be evil. It's for the most part lawless and free of anything resembling empathy, and compassion. The few story characters that show it get royally hosed, among some other story points that I won't go into.

thunderspanks posted:

I've noticed most (if not all?) crime in progress locations will have the civilians get executed after x amount of time if you don't kill the enemies first.

This is an interesting touch that I never noticed! Ghost of Tsushima has something like this too.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The policing system is kind of bonkers, they don’t seem to have cars to chase you, they spawn instantly behind you when you commit a crime no matter where you are, and give up almost immediately

Like this clip is lol:

https://streamable.com/70pq4y

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

ZeeBoi posted:

I don’t mind the jank, bugs, or frame rate on PS4 Pro. I just wish the game wouldn’t crash.

It's even worse on base hardware, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

thunderspanks posted:

Yeah, and if you accidentally shoot them yourself it puts a bounty on your head for illegal activity, which means you have to split from there pretty quick otherwise the fuzz will be on your rear end.