Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pursue Ma Chao :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Chapter pack early in the year followed by an expansion mid/lateish in the year before TWW3 eventually takes all the air out of the room would be my best guess.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Pursue Ma Chao :swoon:

ma chao is a punk rear end loser that got his dumb bandit dad killed

gotta aim higher, like hao zhao (is he even in the game)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He's not no, most of the later characters aren't in the game iirc.

I think the chapter pack will be Yuan Shao as he's really missing some things. Add in the next MTU expansion whenever that's done and that's a good 10-12 new characters for me to come back to. :)

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I really hate the randomly generated officers and how they're indistinguishable from actual ones. there are literally hundreds of named people from that era why you gotta show off how boring your generic officers are by not even using real names

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think the most glaring absence so far is Cao Pi.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.

Azran posted:

I think the most glaring absence so far is Cao Pi.

Still repping my boy Lu Su for his own unique art. Pretty please, CA?

I'm fairly sure I read from a CA rep that they plan on doing more Qiang stuff next, chariots etc, so I'd expect maybe a Ma Chao campaign start perhaps?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I really hate the randomly generated officers and how they're indistinguishable from actual ones. there are literally hundreds of named people from that era why you gotta show off how boring your generic officers are by not even using real names

Honestly I think it's more of an issue when a real historical person, possibly with a special unique ability, has a generic portrait. They're getting better about filling these out but it's still annoying to see a gold name and go "is this guy legendary because he's actually unique or just because he happened to level up enough to get a stat over 100?"

Like I can understand why they don't have unique portraits for all thousand different historical people, but it would be nice if they at least had a compromise where historical characters had their own set of generic portraits, distinct from the randomly generated officers.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They should have some kind of symbol or whatever denoting an actually unique guy. It can be hard to keep track if you use a lot of mods that give you better portraits for generics.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Eimi posted:

They should have some kind of symbol or whatever denoting an actually unique guy. It can be hard to keep track if you use a lot of mods that give you better portraits for generics.

Most have an actual background if you hover over their name on the character detail page, that's a good way to tell. If their background is something more unique than "Bandit" or "Preacher" then they are a 'real historical' character, even if they have a generic portrait. There used to be a sweet mod that added a wikipedia style button to characters that showed their historical biography, but it hasn't been updated and no longer works.

That said the mods that replace generic portraits for unique characters have really come a long way. Wu Kingdaissance adds like 500+ new characters (some new art for existing and some wholly new) at the expense of the art style veering a little out there, it also adds a billion new items and skills. They even have a ton of new 3d models for characters in battle. Wu Kingdaissance is basically the base game gone total ape poo poo, which some people might like after playing the game for hundreds of hours. Make Them Unique(~30 arts and models) combined with Puzzle 1.6 (250+ new arts) for around 350+ new arts, so lower in total count, but the quality is much higher. It has a more vanilla feel in terms of not creating SSJ goku 300x style items and weapons, but it does have some weirdly horny events for concubines. I maintain a shadow Make Them Unique version that keeps the new characters + art and compatibility with Puzzle 1.6 but gets rid of the weird concubine system. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2236846405

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is this where people post about 3K? I just started playing and I am curious if anyone is aware of a mod or a way to force the AI to accept terms? I'm playing as Gongsun Zan and some rear end in a top hat in south China marched up through like 8 warlords' territories to take a minor settlement from the Han right next to me. Its stupid and I want to fix it by cheating rather than fight an eternal hellwar against some stupid stubborn AI on the other side of the planet. Otherwise I dont want to cheat but this is stupid and rather than abandon yet another campaign because of some stupid Total War bullcrap I'd like to fix it.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this where people post about 3K? I just started playing and I am curious if anyone is aware of a mod or a way to force the AI to accept terms? I'm playing as Gongsun Zan and some rear end in a top hat in south China marched up through like 8 warlords' territories to take a minor settlement from the Han right next to me. Its stupid and I want to fix it by cheating rather than fight an eternal hellwar against some stupid stubborn AI on the other side of the planet. Otherwise I dont want to cheat but this is stupid and rather than abandon yet another campaign because of some stupid Total War bullcrap I'd like to fix it.

Just take the province, chances are that guy becomes someone's vassal before he even marches back across the map to fight you.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

There's also a mod that fucks about with the AI so they prioritise territory near them and not across the map. That would help prevent that situation.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Also 3K has actually functional diplomacy. The AI is perfectly willing to take peace offers in 3K, though obviously situation dependent.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VietCampo posted:

Just take the province, chances are that guy becomes someone's vassal before he even marches back across the map to fight you.
He's listed as rich, owner of 4 commanderies, and more powerful than I am (I just have one high quality army) so I'm worried he'll just swamp me with armies.

lurksion posted:

Also 3K has actually functional diplomacy. The AI is perfectly willing to take peace offers in 3K, though obviously situation dependent.
I heard this but it is not my experience at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 11, 2020

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

He's listed as rich, owner of 4 commanderies, and more powerful than I am (I just have one high quality army) so I'm worried he'll just swamp me with armies.

3k diplomacy is pretty straightforward. You just get the values to equal out and it's very easy to cheese if you have lots of food. You could literally bankrupt starving factions by just giving them like 4 food for 10 turns. This also has the bonus of them not attacking you when you're supplying them food.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Yeah he doesnt want peace because he sees you as a pushover lol

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just started playing this. Is it possible to somehow list all units in a battle next to each other rather than separated by retinue? I don't wanna click together 6 infantry units spread over 3 retinues to make my frontline, I wanna shift click at the start and end of my infantry units. Or am I supposed to have one entire retinue dedicated to one unit type?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's an option for that in the UI settings, like Group Unit Cards or something. Same place where you switch the card art.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Azran posted:

There's an option for that in the UI settings, like Group Unit Cards or something. Same place where you switch the card art.

Oh hey i might actually load this game up again now.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Azran posted:

Cool, thanks. Still wondering though, is the game built around you just handling each general and their retinue as one unit?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

GrossMurpel posted:

Cool, thanks. Still wondering though, is the game built around you just handling each general and their retinue as one unit?

In battles there isn't really any proximity based buffs that are tied to retinue. I think all the conditional 'own retinue' buffs for skills and stats apply no mater the proximity, so you could have the general running around by himself and his retinue troops grouped with another general and everything would be all good. Personally I keep my general and units sort of grouped together but that's just thematic and a way to give myself a handicap to help the battle AI.

Outside of battles the game is really built around the general + retinues tied to them, with how generals can only recruit specific units and you can't trade units between different generals.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

The campaign layer is, yes. The battle layer was never like this though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Yeah battles is what I was talking about. I also like that there's a mechanic in battle that lets you beat the enemy general right at the start so it's easy to rout the other army.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This strategy game looks to be doing some of the things the Total War series does and is made by a single developer. Looks interesting.

https://youtu.be/jNxWOgKn_hM]

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 19, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

This strategy game looks to be doing some of the things the Total War series does and is made by a single developer. Looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uMs-TUW_nE

Might wanna recheck that link :)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whoops, that's what I get for trying to post in two different threads at once

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Been playing The Rule of Might for Three Kingdoms, it does some interesting things for the campaign by changing a lot of recruitment poo poo. Artillery's hidden deep in the tech tree, and you can level up generals sometimes to get units outside of their colour. Helps a lot with variety too!

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Are any of the DLC for Three Kingdoms critical to have or easily skippable trash?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So Three Kingdoms is 50% off. Worth it I take it?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I think three kingdoms is worth half price, yeah.

DLCs are a little more complicated, they're mostly more new campaigns than things that directly change the normal gameplay itself. I would say furious wild is probably the most interesting of the DLCs (and also the most expensive and the least on sale) and 8 princes is probably the worst.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Worth it.

3k adds A LOT to the game that is awesome, but suffers from the historical game unit sameness. Overall great to play, and makes WH2 seem really old and simple in comparison, except for unit and faction variety.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Can anyone point me to a good resource on learning about and dealing with Corruption? I'm already releasing the occasional vassal and building as many corruption-reducing buildings as possible, so I'm looking for more advanced math kinda stuff. For example I am curious if you gain corruption per-whole Commandery, per Settlement, or something in-between; I am asking because I'm not sure if I would want to spin some provincial capitals off but keep the farms, then trade food to the vassals for more cash.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I bought it 33% a few months ago and its worth it. I had a hard time getting into it because its so different than total Warhammer but once I got some help from a friend I really got going and I am a big fan now. It is really well polished, or at least the new-game-infatuation is still telling me that. Only things I havent liked are some of the random events and how generals randomly gain traits - reminds me of the heady days of Rome 1. I can overlook the faults easily, though. Essentially... this:

JacksLibido posted:

Worth it.

3k adds A LOT to the game that is awesome, but suffers from the historical game unit sameness. Overall great to play, and makes WH2 seem really old and simple in comparison, except for unit and faction variety.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 25, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don’t like the Nanman factions much so I would recommend A World Betrayed, Lu Bu and Sun Ce get some interesting campaigns there. Eight Princes is probably the weakest, although I’ve heard Mandate is still kind of buggy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I think three kingdoms is worth half price, yeah.

DLCs are a little more complicated, they're mostly more new campaigns than things that directly change the normal gameplay itself. I would say furious wild is probably the most interesting of the DLCs (and also the most expensive and the least on sale) and 8 princes is probably the worst.
Total War is no longer doing GOTY editions with all the DLC included, right?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finally bought 3K, there's any consensus about which mode is the best? I like how Romance sounds but Records seems way more balanced.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Give romance a try first cause it has all the abilities and stuff, but then I prefer records because the super heavy cavalry it replaces the combat generals with is the strongest unit in a TW game

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Xander77 posted:

Total War is no longer doing GOTY editions with all the DLC included, right?

as far as I'm aware no.

Angry Lobster posted:

Finally bought 3K, there's any consensus about which mode is the best? I like how Romance sounds but Records seems way more balanced.

If you're coming at this with any knowledge of something like dynasty warriors romance is closer to what you're probably gonna be expecting. Records is closer to a traditional total war game though

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I like Romance since 3k is based pretty heavily on R3TK, but generals can get pretty absurdly busted in that mode. Records is definitely a lot more traditional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't think any TW unit is as bonkers as perfect stamina zhang fei in records mode