Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Elviscat posted:

Authoritarian Communist governments also tend to be pretty inequitable, maybe your parents are subversive anti-communists and your friend's parents are Party Members in good standing.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, sounds pretty derivative to me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

for those with new graphics cards on your christmas lists: an important comparison

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

for those with new graphics cards on your christmas lists: an important comparison

Well, I'm convinced.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AMD also has twice as many Xs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Doc Hawkins posted:

Green means good, red means bad. Apparently AMD is a tall amount of bad and Nvidia is a short amount of good.

What a very Christmasy chart!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

dr_rat posted:

Green means good, red means bad. Apparently AMD is a tall amount of bad and Nvidia is a short amount of good.

What a very Christmasy chart!

Red makes it faster!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

Red makes it faster!

Waaagh, Mr Bond

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

It does not have those things, but the soundscape of the ships feels sublime. The ships feel like you have an actual engine working somewhere, it's great. The only thing I actually enjoy about the game is moving the throttle on my HOTAS and feeling the response.

How good a game it is depends entirely on how deeply you can get into space truckin' and repetitive combat, but it absolutely has the best sound design of any game ever and I can't think of anything else that even comes close.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

Shouldn't have thrown out my 8800GTX

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Doc Hawkins posted:

Well, it's not wrong.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

evobatman posted:

Shouldn't have thrown out my 8800GTX

My 11 year-old 9600 GT looking pretty good right now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Hobnob posted:

My 11 year-old 9600 GT looking pretty good right now.

I'm gonna buy a 10900k and jam it into my PCI-E slot somehow

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1338789347001249792?s=21

40% of the British public doesn’t get how the monarchy works.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
AKA "no statistically significant difference since last poll but we wouldn't have a job if we didn't make a press release anyway".

To their credit, they do publish the full data set as an Excel sheet. And they did remove the per-party breakdown from the interactive viz for tiny segments of respondents (SNP voters, with only 50 of them).

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 14:40 on Dec 16, 2020

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/yougov/status/1338789347001249792?s=21

40% of the British public doesn’t get how the monarchy works.

Given that Charles' grand-uncle stood down because of his inappropriate relationship and his brother became king instead, I think there's precedent for the crown to skip someone because no one wants them and their wife on the throne.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

thekeeshman posted:

Given that Charles' grand-uncle stood down because of his inappropriate relationship and his brother became king instead, I think there's precedent for the crown to skip someone because no one wants them and their wife on the throne.

There is also precedent for murdering English Kings called Charles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Historically, it it was clear that the heir was a fuckup, the body politic had a way of shutting that whole thing down.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere_addition_paradox

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress off, ethicists.

The problem is that A+ is not better than A, something that none of you (as quoted by Wikipedia) identified.

It is better for people to be alive than dead.

It does not follow that it is better for people to be alive than never born.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 17:25 on Dec 16, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it is predicated on the line "It is also stipulated that the lives of the members of each group are good enough that it is better for them to be alive than for them to not exist."

Which, uh, is a big assumption, IMO.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

That's a pretty bad graph.

And yeah, the ethical assumption that goes into that paradox is that "More people who are happy are better than fewer people" which is a dubious utility function.

I've been increasingly a deontologist, and that's just the lamest, most purely hypothetical kind of objection to utilitarianism. If that's the level real ethical philosophy is operating on, we're loving doomed.

While we're on the subject, utility monsters are also a dumb concept, as it treats utility as an unbounded function with an infinite maximum, which is just completely at odds with human experience of happiness, satisfaction, freedom, whatever measure of utility you want.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The sky is blue, the ground green, and we assume the sky and ground are the same colour... and yet... my god

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I vaguely remember one of the Rationalists unironically proposing massive rat farms which keep the rats packed as tightly as possible and drugged into happiness as a way of improving the universe.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

But where’s the last line?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed posted:

While we're on the subject, utility monsters are also a dumb concept, as it treats utility as an unbounded function with an infinite maximum, which is just completely at odds with human experience of happiness, satisfaction, freedom, whatever measure of utility you want.

I have tended to think this way myself but then you have someone like Trump who would absolutely do literally anything to continuously increase (for example) the crowd size at his rallys

I'm not sure there's a practical upper bound to either the harm he is willing to cause or his ever-increasing need for more narcissistic supply

There is obviously a physical limit in the universe etc which does still argue against a true infinite utility monster though

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Trump killed an average of forty people each time he held a rally, and that was the statistics for summer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I have tended to think this way myself but then you have someone like Trump who would absolutely do literally anything to continuously increase (for example) the crowd size at his rallys

I'm not sure there's a practical upper bound to either the harm he is willing to cause or his ever-increasing need for more narcissistic supply

There is obviously a physical limit in the universe etc which does still argue against a true infinite utility monster though

Yes but there is a practical upper bound to his ability to feel happiness, so the utilitarian solution would just be to pump him full of morphine or something.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I vaguely remember one of the Rationalists unironically proposing massive rat farms which keep the rats packed as tightly as possible and drugged into happiness as a way of improving the universe.
If this is wrong I don't want to be right.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

90s Cringe Rock posted:

This is a preliminary clinical trial? Where do I sign up?

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Well they are called RATionalists! :dadjoke:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Bloop posted:

Utility monsters are real

But while the theory assumes (as e.g. Nozick) that they are the insatiable masses, in reality they are the billionaires, the only creatures on Earth for whom utility isn't driven by any concrete needs, but by an abstract necessity to perform a function that exists entirely separate from themselves.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Yes but there is a practical upper bound to his ability to feel happiness, so the utilitarian solution would just be to pump him full of morphine or something.

Personal happiness has nothing todo with it, Trump and similar are just working the wheels of a mechanism that goes way beyond them and generates a need for artificial "utility" in a constant feedback loop. Lots of them are probably getting progressively more miserable on a human level the more they succeed. Basically, Veblen was right and also the logic of capitalism necessitates this as well.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

A utility monster isn't just someone who will never be satisfied with what they have, it's a hypothetical person/alien/robot who is capable of experiencing gigantic quantities of happiness such that a utilitarian would say that their vast happiness outweighs the misery of everyone else

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Utility monsters are above all a reminder that any value accounting system will have people who are vastly more valuable. This applies to value seeking where the monster just gets tons more out of things, and harm avoiding where an absolutely broken down monster demands the attention of the whole world to mitigate. You can collar the monsters with a requirement that all human experience is generally relatable or bound by certain biological and physical factors, but this doesn't get rid of the idea that they will demand extra out of any accounting system. This... Isn't entirely a bad thing especially in harm avoiding reckoning?

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Look, it's very simple. Assume that happiness is a sphere....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

A utility monster isn't just someone who will never be satisfied with what they have, it's a hypothetical person/alien/robot who is capable of experiencing gigantic quantities of happiness such that a utilitarian would say that their vast happiness outweighs the misery of everyone else

Yeah that's the thing, people who act like that are not actually maximising utility, they're doing the opposite, because they are not capable of correctly deciding what utility is or probably more specifically, recognizing that other people's utility is real and their perceived utility is not.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
On the flip side would the net increase to human happiness outweigh the misery if everyone was allowed to take a bat to a monster like nope not using postus here Harvey Winestien?

Remember when Paris Hilton got arrested and the internet absolutely lost their poo poo? Did her misery result in a net increase to human history?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

This graph causes a net loss to overall happiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

killa-pope posted:

But where’s the last line?