Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xtal posted:

I do that all the time as well because the boot partition on my embedded device can't hold two kernels and initramfs at once

??? How is it living in 2008 with 64MB of NAND flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

mystes posted:

You really should only remove it after you reboot and make sure the new one works, after which it's conveniently not the running kernel.

if the new one doesnt work i just revert the whole root subvolume to a previous btrfs snapshot, and this has only been necessary for this reason like once in the last 10 years

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
anything cool and new in the Linux world folks?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Silver Alicorn posted:

Sound works now.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DoomTrainPhD posted:

??? How is it living in 2008 with 64MB of NAND flash?

It's ok, tbf it's easier to do in place kernel upgrades than change the disk, because if something went wrong upgrading the kernel, the recovery process would basically be the same as changing the disk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Sound works now.

no way

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Sound works now.

really? I haven’t heard that

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

they killed off the distro a large subset of people in this thread were using and recommending lol

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Does Scientific Linux still exist? It was basically same thing...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sassafras posted:

Does Scientific Linux still exist? It was basically same thing...

no, they didn’t do an 8 because they didn’t want to duplicate work on centos 8 lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

it also kinda sucked

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

eschaton posted:

really? I haven’t heard that

:dadjoke:

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

The_Franz posted:

my favorite debian experience was running apt-get update and having it uninstall the kernel

lol I had this happen once years ago

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

on aws i just use amazon linux 2. downstream from fedora, has SSM agent already installed, who gives a poo poo aye

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The future of enterprise linux is Gentoo, folks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Amazon linux 2 afaict is centos 7 but half of epel doesn’t work, plus their own extras repo with its own special snowflake cli because reasons

it’s ... fine, as long as you want your linux to be as proprietary as possible

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Soricidus posted:

Amazon linux 2 afaict is centos 7 but half of epel doesn’t work, plus their own extras repo with its own special snowflake cli because reasons

it’s ... fine, as long as you want your linux to be as proprietary as possible

* Caldera has entered the chat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

looks like the most stable linux platform is actually wsl2 on windows server. i don't make the rules.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the purpose of amazon linux is to be a base for the eks ami so it doesn't matter if epel works or not

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the purpose of amazon linux is to be a base for the eks ami so it doesn't matter if epel works or not

it existed way before eks lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

looks like the most stable linux platform is actually wsl2 on windows server. i don't make the rules.

unfortunately wsl2 does not save you from having to pick a distro

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Ubuntu LTS is now the server distro of choice

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Ubuntu LTS has always been the server distro of choice

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol no

mystes
May 31, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Time to convert everything from docker to snap.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wonder what nbsd is thinking about this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, centos is gone, but have you considered oracle linux?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

has the yospos take already embedded in there "Then again, moving to Oracle because you found Red Hat's governance arbitrary and oppressive is a pretty odd flex."

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Why the hell does the ghost of Steve Jobs' UNIX not support unnamed POSIX semaphores? Certified UNIX my rear end, apparently you can get certified by ignoring everything optional. It doesn't take me long to write my own non-shared version with mutexes and condition variables, but what a bizarre omission.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Athas posted:

Why the hell does the ghost of Steve Jobs' UNIX not support unnamed POSIX semaphores? Certified UNIX my rear end, apparently you can get certified by ignoring everything optional. It doesn't take me long to write my own non-shared version with mutexes and condition variables, but what a bizarre omission.

Well, what did you think optional means on something they only did for the checkbox?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Athas posted:

just use mach semaphores?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Athas posted:

sounds like a good thing to file feedback on, especially since this is the sort of thing that can have implications for performance (e.g. risk of priority inversion and so on)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The_Franz posted:

just use mach

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

The_Franz posted:

just use mach semaphores?

Do they work on the majority of POSIX systems?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Athas posted:

neither do unnamed semaphores apparently. whats your point bitch

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Athas posted:

you won’t care

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Soricidus posted:

you won’t care

They don't even work on Linux, which is the most important OS (POS or otherwise).

Even Windows with WSL is a better Unix than macOS these days.

When I teach Unix programming to undergrads it's pretty obvious that the Windows people have to put in some effort to get a usable environment (so they install WSL or VirtualBox in the old days), but macOS looks just usable enough until you scratch the surface, and basic tools like valgrind are not available and qsort_r has a weird type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
there’s absolutely no reason to use macOS for posix tools when docker exists on macOS and you can just use a real Linux on macOS.