Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Why does everything come in through Kent anyway, arent there other ports around our 1000s of miles of coastline?

Driving through the channel tunnel is cheaper and faster than getting on a boat. And most our larger ports just handle our shipping from outside the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

IMHO and not having anything to do with dermaholiday beyond patients getting skin GvHD, hydrocortisone OTC préparations are basically placebo and if you have anything actually wrong with you you need a prescription for mometasone or something strong enough to actually clear it up. (also not a doctor)

They sometimes work, but unless you're using it on newborns semi-placebo is a very good description for topical hydrocortisone.

Daktacort and all the other combo preparations are good though. You just need the tiniest amount of anti-inflammatory after you've eradicated all those yeasts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i actually like turnips

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Every now and then I remember that Children of Men was set in 2021 and marvel.

Also, COVID might be destroying people's fertility

In Children of Men the rest of the world is actually fine and continues to reproduce normally.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/jackiesojico/status/1337211778694930432

You know if you'd brought this up during the indyref then yes would have won.

Gangsta Granny Gritter
Ready Spready Go
For Your Ice Only
Spready Mercury
Sir Salter Scott

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Z the IVth posted:

They sometimes work, but unless you're using it on newborns semi-placebo is a very good description for topical hydrocortisone.

Daktacort and all the other combo preparations are good though. You just need the tiniest amount of anti-inflammatory after you've eradicated all those yeasts.

Something I found really interesting and counter-intuitive is that antiviral/steroid combinations are great for cold sores. I think the combo cream thing is not approved in the UK for some reason though.

https://aac.asm.org/content/58/3/1273

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It's not massively counter intuitive when we use combination anti-fungal steroid creams regularly

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rumda posted:

It's not massively counter intuitive when we use combination anti-fungal steroid creams regularly

Why are you being a twat?

Steroids are directly lymphotoxic and potentially reducing the T cell response, key to clearing the HSV reactivation, makes it counter intuitive that steroids increase the rate of clearance.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just tried some Stinking Bishop. I like smelly cheese but it’s one of the worst things I’ve ever tasted. Utterly vile. My son (9) loves it. He’s never met a cheese he didn’t like.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As is the desired way of things, the progeny has eclipsed the originator.

Your son is the better you now.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If I had a son I'm certain he'd be an idiot.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

Something I found really interesting and counter-intuitive is that antiviral/steroid combinations are great for cold sores. I think the combo cream thing is not approved in the UK for some reason though.

https://aac.asm.org/content/58/3/1273

Yeah I've not heard about that one.

Rumda posted:

This is because most of the problems treated by those creams aren't strictly fungal infections. The rash is an immune reaction to a perfectly harmless skin commensal. Hence you reduce the population with the antifungal and damp the reaction down with the steroid. I'm sure this is a Brexit/immigration analogy.

Another Brexit related skin cream chat. When the GSK factory hosed up their production lines, one of the products was Trimovate, one of aforementioned combination creams. This cream is only widely prescribed in the UK and GSK prioritised all their European products first and we got our resupply last. I can only imagine what else we're going to run short on next year.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

As is the desired way of things, the progeny has eclipsed the originator.

Your son is the better you now.

It’s true. He’s a cheese monster.

https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1337458417326305280?s=21

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I actually have plans to visit London in July next year assuming I get the vaccine in time. Will get to see how Brexit is going in person.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Holy poo poo if having an Australian style deal means we get access to Adcortyl in Orabase again my mouth ulcers will vote for Boris until the heat death of the universe.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

knox_harrington posted:

IMHO and not having anything to do with dermaholiday beyond patients getting skin GvHD, hydrocortisone OTC préparations are basically placebo and if you have anything actually wrong with you you need a prescription for mometasone or something strong enough to actually clear it up. (also not a doctor)

1% OTC hydrocortisone ointment definitely works on me! I always found the cream useless.
I am a Dr (just not a medical one :D )

My dad used to have really itchy skin and would sometimes run a bath deliberately too hot and use a pan scrubber to have a good scratch.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

By the sounds of it we may end up with an australia style trade deal. Thing is you can understand why it takes a month to ship something from France to the other side of the world, less understandable when we're 30 miles away.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lungboy posted:

Holy poo poo if having an Australian style deal means we get access to Adcortyl in Orabase again my mouth ulcers will vote for Boris until the heat death of the universe.

Sorry to break it to you but that preparation has gone the way of the dodo. You can get it specially made up since both adcortyl and orabase still exist but be prepared to pay silly money or cosplay Walter White to get it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

knox_harrington posted:

Why are you being a twat?

because I have much more experience dealing with otc meds and dealing with over the counter conditions than you do having spent most of the last decade working in a pharmacy, recommending aciclovir cream then a tiny bit of hydrocortisone has been a thing pharmacists have recommended for years unofficially for bad cold sores

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Interesting that experience is deemed a fair excuse for being a twat about something.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rumda posted:

because I have much more experience dealing with otc meds and dealing with over the counter conditions than you do having spent most of the last decade working in a pharmacy, recommending aciclovir cream then a tiny bit of hydrocortisone has been a thing pharmacists have recommended for years unofficially for bad cold sores

Aha well I am a clinical scientist working on immune therapy development for the past 15 years rather than a shop assistant

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

I actually have plans to visit London in July next year assuming I get the vaccine in time. Will get to see how Brexit is going in person.

Make sure to lay in biking leathers and a variety of exciting studs and spikes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What could I buy in London with my powerful American Dollars after Brexit happens?

Perhaps... *checks notes* ...some healthcare.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

knox_harrington posted:

Aha well I am a clinical scientist working on immune therapy development for the past 15 years rather than a shop assistant

Now who's being a twat, telling a trained registered medical professional she's a shop assistant

Rumda fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 11, 2020

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Gatts posted:

What could I buy in London with my powerful American Dollars after Brexit happens?

Hard Rock Cafe will sell you a beer & a burger in $.

Probably don't want to do that in a pandemic though (or ever?).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rumda posted:

Now who's being a twat, telling a trained registered medical professional she's a shop assistant

Lol

Pretty funny considering you were both wrong and made the appeal to authority.

Would "pharmacy assistant that doesn't understand basic immunology" be better?

I get that you're angry at everything but maybe try to be less of an idiot.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gatts posted:

Seeing how its going, a Lord seat.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Z the IVth posted:

Sorry to break it to you but that preparation has gone the way of the dodo. You can get it specially made up since both adcortyl and orabase still exist but be prepared to pay silly money or cosplay Walter White to get it.

It's available in Australia, hence my pretend excitement at a possible good thing about No Deal.

E: it's called Kenalog/Kenacort in Orabase but it's the same thing.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They should sell pharmaceutical two part epoxy tubes but let you mix and match anything you can fit into the tubes.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I am sat here reading the thread, and listening to my wife’s elderly great grandpa tell her that he’s feeling optimistic about brexit, and the two combined are making me miserable.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Seeing how its going, a Lord seat.

Oooo I’ve always wanted to be a Lord. The British Parliament can be so lively. Do I get to wear a wig?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you're thinking of the Commons. The Lords sit down in their own gold plated red velvet room where they all snooze and drone on at each other like the world's most expensive care home

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

kecske posted:

you're thinking of the Commons. The Lords sit down in their own gold plated red velvet room where they all snooze and drone on at each other like the world's most expensive care home

drat. Thanks for the heads up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

Also the only one the tories didn't heard the sick back into.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the plus side you could probably start bumping them off and inheriting their titles until you can run the government yourself.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

I am sat here reading the thread, and listening to my wife’s elderly great grandpa tell her that he’s feeling optimistic about brexit, and the two combined are making me miserable.

It's interesting, I've never actually met anyone advocating for Brexit (since everybody at work hates it). I wonder how I would react to meeting one - probably with the same dumbstruck confusion as when you discover you're speaking to a young earth creationist.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

On the plus side you could probably start bumping them off and inheriting their titles until you can run the government yourself.

Like Highlander?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

knox_harrington posted:

Lol

Pretty funny considering you were both wrong and made the appeal to authority.

Would "pharmacy assistant that doesn't understand basic immunology" be better?

I get that you're angry at everything but maybe try to be less of an idiot.

Try to be less dismissive. The antiviral action of the aciclovir is much stronger than the suppressive action of topical hydrocortisone which you yourself are claiming is both no more than placebo and dangerously Immunosuppressive

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gatts posted:

Like Highlander?

Yeah but with less lightning and most of them would probably keel over if you look at them funny.

Except Tebbit, he might have died already so you will need to figure out what foul magic keeps him moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Gatts posted:

Oooo I’ve always wanted to be a Lord. The British Parliament can be so lively. Do I get to wear a wig?

You can wear a wig right now. It’s not illegal or anything.