Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Here's what's going to hapoen when Diablo IV releases:

The game is probably going to be Just Okay™ at its worst. The people that just want Diablo II with better graphics all moved on to Path of Exile or their prefered way to play D2. The revealed classes so far are all certainly meant to get the attention of the D2 crowd. They won't be swayed.

Most people that get it are probably going to have an alright experience with it and stick with it for as long as they do and the handful of lunatics like me that manage tonget attached to it will probably grind it into dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Set items being so ridiculous in D3 was actually a negative for me. When a set adds 20.000% increased damage to an ability, my hands are sort of tied this season, you know? I did like the gameplay of D3 to a point, but trying to enjoy it in a setting that sports butterfly lady and suddenly sexy retcon Adria was just too much. And after Actiblizzard tipped their hand with the whole Hong Kong tragedy? I'm just done with it all and haven't installed battle.net since.

Skill boosters can be done right, various D2 mods and some of D3's less powerful items add powerful but reasonable mods like "fires 2 additional projectiles" or "this normally short buff lasts significantly longer" that enable builds without overshadowing anything while also changing up gameplay a bit. "Multiply damage by arbitrarilybig%" mods aren't just limiting, they're boring.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Hooplah posted:

except the bad stuff includes the itemization and meaningful choices in character builds... I've gone back to d3 since they supposedly fixed it, and it's still so unexciting and same-y i can't get through the campaign. why do i care about getting 50 more dex on my gloves or whatever? what am i even building towards?

you should not be playing the campaign, we just said they fixed the game by leaving everything there and moving on. i made the same mistake.

not only is the campaign poo poo, it is not tuned to the current levels, you'll finish it at like level 55. get a power level to 70 or just jump in & start doing rifts in Adventure Mode. I played release - 2014 and quit and came back and it seems like it's in a fun enough place.

D4 is not a day 1 buy for me but hopefully there's enough there and it ends up in a good place.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 10, 2020

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i was not talking about the campaign being boring and bad- i've always known that. i'm talking about character development. is building your character different if you do rifts? do they drop different items that aren't just all variations of stat sticks? if the game doesn't have items and build choices that make me excited starting at level 1 i'm not interested. it's poor design.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hooplah posted:

i was not talking about the campaign being boring and bad- i've always known that. i'm talking about character development. is building your character different if you do rifts? do they drop different items that aren't just all variations of stat sticks? if the game doesn't have items and build choices that make me excited starting at level 1 i'm not interested. it's poor design.

Lol cmon

Level 1 to 70 takes all of 3 hours tops and that's discovering new skills. Then at 70 you do the challenges for your class set, then after you get that you run rifts for other set items or ways to power up your current set with supplemental uniques

If you honestly came into a diablo game expecting something other than cracking a beer and grinding I dont know what to say other than lol cmon.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

d2 is fun start to finish. you can find a soj your first run through nm andy and that'll be something you hold onto until the peak of your character's power. similar stuff can happen in poe, like with tabula. i still enjoy starting a new d2 char and running through the campaign.

what you're describing sounds more like wow than diablo. a guaranteed set for each class you get after a bounded amount of grind? that's not a build choice. the devs made the choice for you already. and that's not even mentioning the gameplay relying on cooldowns and sequencing of abilities and how every single enemy is a huge bag of hp and guaranteed damage, making literally every encounter a gear check

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Diablo 3 puts an upper bound on that initial grind. What you describe (soj in nm) wont ever happen to 9999/10000 people. Diablo 2 certainly has more breadth of choices but is more focused on trading and hyper rare drops

It sounds like you've got your heart set on hating diablo 3 so I wont convince you. Diablo 2 has many good mods including one very active one that are more your speed

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

One thing D3 has done better than any other D2 clone was its ragdoll physics. Making enemies sail across the screen or punched up into the camera all felt fantastic.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not even disagreeing here but LOL at the point about getting a soj on nm Andy.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Diablo 3 puts an upper bound on that initial grind. What you describe (soj in nm) wont ever happen to 9999/10000 people. Diablo 2 certainly has more breadth of choices but is more focused on trading and hyper rare drops

It sounds like you've got your heart set on hating diablo 3 so I wont convince you. Diablo 2 has many good mods including one very active one that are more your speed

lol, you're basically right. i already decided i don't like d3. i really want to be proven wrong though because it's another potentially fun arpg, but i think the core design is flawed to me in ways i'll never be able to reconcile. the soj example was just one illustration of a core part of d2's design; i wasn't praising that exact thing because you're right it'll probably never happen to any of us. but there are degrees of that concept all throughout d2 and it's completely absent from d3. everything you can find (correct me if i'm wrong) is replaceable with a better version that has bigger numbers once youre in a higher rift or whatever.

and d2 is perfectly playable into hell solo even without trading because there's ways to avoid the things you can't handle, and multiple avenues for improving your build. the endgame becomes about rarity but you don't need full tals or an occy to do hell meph runs on your sorc and have access to some of the best items in the game if you pull the slot machine enough times. in d3 this is replaced with an endless linear grind through rifts with bigger numbers.

sorry, i'm NOT trying to poo poo up the thread about this, i just think there's some very interesting conversations to be had about arpg design and what makes the game worth coming back to. what do the big aspirational endgame items look like in d3? i'm genuinely curious what i would be excited about finding as fresh level 70 looking to build my char.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I look at D3 as just a more streamlined experience vs. D2. In D2 you just spend a lot of time with lovely items and grinding for better ones doing the same poo poo over and over again. In D3 you grind similarly (but...different? Doing rifts or random maps repeatedly vs. running the same boss run for loot) but you get good stuff way faster. Then you're OP as gently caress teleporting around the map in no time blowing up everything so it's still fun in a different way to me at least. It strips away the bullshit with the campaign and you just can grind as you like and kill stuff to get more loot and more powerful.

There may be more character building and choices in D2 with skill points and attributes but for end game it's really the same to me. There's an aspirational best in slot item for every slot which already determines what your build and points will be for the most part. It's just an illusion of choice, IMO. If you're just playing it through the campaign or whatever that's less relevant/true I suppose. How they design the game and items to not be that, I don't really know. And I don't know if that would in itself make things worse. :iiam:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i'm not sure if you're trying to say there's best in slot items in d2, but that's not quite right. there's lots of very good items (using a mf sorc as example) that'll get you there like a ptopaz'd tal's mask, skullder's, and ali baba. none of those are bis though, and can be stopgaps to better things, depending on what your build wants. generally the bis items in d2 are near statistical impossibilities.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

d3 has rare and ultra rare versions of items (ancient/primal ancient) which are unique or set items with boosted stats. Your goal in d3 is to both level up paragon and find your builds items via grinding. If you find a unique early that's great, you can cube it and extract its power and have it permanently as a passive. I found a wand of woh early and it allowed me to jump into torment pretty quickly. If you are a crazy person you attempt to get full primal ancient.

D3 drop rates are crazy, every rift guardian at high torment drops like 8 uniques. It's like meph runs but less painful.

D2 absolutely has bis items lol. Ptopaz shako, spirit, hoto, war travs, those are all very easy to get and let you pretty much ignore those slots forever. You arent going to gasp and say wow a 5% shako to replace my 4% this is amazing!!

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The holy war is stupid and I’m sorry for adding to it, but as someone who loved D3 and the place they took it a great deal I have to say it really is a departure from the series’s best elements. Once I started playing PoE there was no going back, even though I can always fire up D2 and have a great time.

D3 has a really satisfying combat engine and is good arcadey fun but there isn’t anything that sticks to your character or feels like a meaningful decision. The items are just number go up until it’s bigger and redder, and everything feels flat and smooth.

The things they did with legendaries affecting skills were important and fun but not enough on their own. I think keeping skill trees like in D2 but having synergies augment skill behavior might be a great approach. I dunno, I really like the game but in the end it’s failures have been exposed and I don’t see a need for them to be repeated.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
diablo 3 only lets you make FG off powerleveling, therefore it is the worse game. topic locked.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stunt_enby posted:

diablo 3 only lets you make FG off powerleveling, therefore it is the worse game. topic locked.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I completely forgot they halved the max player count in D3.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

THE BAR posted:

I completely forgot they halved the max player count in D3.
It does invoke good memories of playing Gauntlet on the N64 with my bros when playing local on Playstation. But yeah as a PC game that’s just weak.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Now the next one will be an mmo, just what you wanted guys!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
shame that if it wasn't for this thread diablo 4 would have been good

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

My cognitive dissonance allowed me to call d4, "gauntlet: diablo", in my head and enjoy it for what it is.

However, it is quite clear to me, at least, that all diablo 2 really lacked was some sort of progressive end game content.

Diablo 3 is entirely boring "endgame" content that is not compelling in any way. If your core mechanic is seemingly infinite, interchangeable levels,, with the sole pupose to continue to experience endless higher level interchangeable levels all while having to balance classes with access to any skills at all times with watered down uniques that aren't truly unique cause you keep rolling one dumb stat on it (which is worse than farming an item over and over for the best roll because you can at least trade or sell the lesser rolls).

So, d3 is either a jj Abrams movie or a decent gauntlet game. An arcade beat em up with rpg gear elements. There are no meaningful skill or stat choices. Nothing is tailored for hardcore, or suspense, or even pvp to blow off steam.

D3 is methadone when all you want is smack.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

"meaningful stat choices" generally just means you check a website before you make your character and if you do it wrong the entire thing doesn't work.

It's nintendo hard. I don't think D3 nails it but "whoops you put the runes in the wrong way you're hosed" kind of stuff is player hostile.

The biggest problem with paragon levels is that everyone hits Paragon 800 in a day or two and then the only things that differentiate any characters are how they allocate the infinite mainstats.

quote:

which is worse than farming an item over and over for the best roll because you can at least trade or sell the lesser rolls).

this is so weird and objective. d3 is not worse off for lack of trading. farming the same item over and over isn't better than being able to tweak your almost perfect one into a perfect one.

again it's just nintendo hard. how is making the player keep farming for the same one but with +2 more cooldown more rewarding than letting them get close and then earn the rest through more and varied gameplay? Like think in a gameplay way of the mechanics you guys are asking for!

Right now D3 rewards people who play a ton more but it doesn't punish people who play a lot less, and that's a really hard thing to do!

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 11, 2020

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Kazvall posted:

D3 is methadone when all you want is smack.
Which would make PoE carfentanyl in this analogy.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

bus hustler posted:

It's nintendo hard. I don't think D3 nails it but "whoops you put the runes in the wrong way you're hosed" kind of stuff is player hostile.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bus hustler posted:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
ouch

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Do people like the default upscaling or whatever PD2 has on by default?

I don't care for it as it makes everything look "oily". The first thing I did was go back to regular D2 pixely graphics.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah it reminds me of the filters that came built in to old snes emulators like snes9x or whatever it was called. it looks kind of lovely

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nearest neighbor or bust. Anyone that prefers otherwise deserves to be tried for war crimes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I'm guessing Jah Ist Ber, and I don't remember what that results in. :(

I just got it, oh dear oh dear.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 11, 2020

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

I'm guessing Jah Ist Ber, and I don't remember what that results in. :(

I just got it, oh dear oh dear.
the middle rune is an ith

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vakal posted:

Do people like the default upscaling or whatever PD2 has on by default?

I don't care for it as it makes everything look "oily". The first thing I did was go back to regular D2 pixely graphics.

Maphack doesnt work with their shaders :angel:

That's just a random borderless fullscreen app

Also yes their shaders suck. If you have a shako on it makes your whole head a green blob

mbt fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 11, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Khorne posted:

the middle rune is an ith

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Ith_Rune

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Eth_Rune

I can't tell if it was on purpose or not. And if he was making an Enigma, shouldn't it be a chest tattoo?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

I can't tell if it was on purpose or not. And if he was making an Enigma, shouldn't it be a chest tattoo?
lmao, I am glad I corrected someone who was wrong with wrong information in a game I've played for hundreds of hours in the past year alone

it really is an eth kind of. I wonder if it's a super weird joke or a mistake. Kind of like I mistook the two images.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

THE BAR posted:

the upper arm is a common place to put tattoos if you want other people to actually see them

the eth rune mixup is definitely a very funny joke element to an already extremely niche tattoo, i love it

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Hooplah posted:

the eth rune mixup is definitely a very funny joke element to an already extremely niche tattoo, i love it
With how careful I am with runes in D2 bnet which have a real world value of 75 cents, I’ll go ahead and say that there’s no way that wasn’t intentional. It’s the nerdiest “NO RAGERTS” tattoo and it rules.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I like D2X because I've played it for twenty years and each new year I get to fantasize and think "Is this the year I find an Ohm rune?"

THE BAR posted:

And if he was making an Enigma, shouldn't it be a chest tattoo?

Yes, also remember to put SurChamAmnLo only on the hands i.e. Hand of Justice.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Zogo posted:

I like D2X because I've played it for twenty years and each new year I get to fantasize and think "Is this the year I find an Ohm rune?"

I once found 3 ohm runes in one ladder season, and that's not botting or anything like that, hoo boy did I play a lot of D2

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Is there still a D2 bot running a constant game? I just restarted and it would be helpful for muling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So my friends are playing PD2 and got me into it. I'm the one who brought Diablo to their attention all those years ago. Its been a laugh. Drop rates are particularly fun.

Until the other day. I found a couple unique bows and while I was maining a barb, I thought it would be cool to go back to my first love, a bowazon. So I made one as a mule with the intention of leveling her later. I only ever reached 87 or 88 with that character years ago somehow despite playing 24/7 during the summer, never finding anything better than a drat buriza and then popping in a cows game, losing everything else I had but someone felt bad and buriza is poo poo so they gave that back to me. I remember walking up out of the basement (ofc) and saying to my brother and dad (who especially opposed me playing the game so much) that I was done with it.

Later into the play session, 3 of us are going through hell. One of my buddies has a necro (he used them way back when when they were garbonzo), and my other friend closer to my level was a paladin. I've been anally picking up money like a noob to try and max out my stash funds, and I ran back to town real quick to sell off as we were doing the flayer dungeon. All of a sudden over discord I hear my friend "hydra bow?" and I just about poo poo. Flayer dungeon. We've got probably inside 200mf between us. Windforce. He doesn't even have an amazon, and he is the ultimate capitalist so you just know he immediately began planning how he was going to trade it. He didn't even know what it was until he ID'd it. I could have cried. All because I was back in town like a dummy accruing meaningless gold when I might have had a chance to swipe it.

Anyways its just the 4 of us or something in our own discord so add me on there so I have more people to run with
codo180