Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Chaotic Flame posted:

The daily today is pretty crazy. You get relics instead of card rewards for hallway fights. First time I've had relics going off screen.

Yeah that's a fun one.

Did anyone score higher than 1124? That was my score. I ranked in the 500s, which surprised me because I beyond perfect-light speeded the run, and there's not a lot of opportunities to get collector bonuses and I only failed to perfect three elites. Wondering what I should've done better, I'm usually top 300 with far less impressive runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I got 1130 and I even missed out on Beyond Perfect (by 1 fuckin damage! :argh:) I made up for it by going 6 for 6 on flawless elite victories. It would have been pretty easy to snag Highlander too but I wasn't paying enough attention and wound up with too many dupes to get rid of.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

I got 1130 and I even missed out on Beyond Perfect (by 1 fuckin damage! :argh:) I made up for it by going 6 for 6 on flawless elite victories. It would have been pretty easy to snag Highlander too but I wasn't paying enough attention and wound up with too many dupes to get rid of.

Okay, good to know. I went 3 for 6 so that's 75 more points for you there, but I got 100 for the extra boss perfect, so what else did you get? I also got well fed and the 1,000 gold one and, of course, I like shiny.

I also totally forgot that I can remove cards to get highlander and ended up with 2x of two cards. I constantly forget about highlander.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I managed to get 2000 gold instead of just the 1000, so on top of 3 extra champions that makes up for missing Beyond Perfect. I assume I just hit a couple more hallway fights than you to make up the remaining 6 point difference.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Straight White Shark posted:

I managed to get 2000 gold instead of just the 1000, so on top of 3 extra champions that makes up for missing Beyond Perfect. I assume I just hit a couple more hallway fights than you to make up the remaining 6 point difference.

Ahhh, I'll start looking for more opportunities to get gold, thanks!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I LOVE sealed deck dailies! Picked 2 Pressure Points, 2 double energy, a hologram and never looked back. 15/15 elites and 3/3 bosses perfected. 1640 score, currently sitting at 7th and hoping I end up in the top 100.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 9, 2020

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I did it! I got the "Ooh Donut" achievement. But I've been playing Iron Clad so long I don't remember how to play anything else.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Just beat A9 with the Silent, and wow, sometimes dumb luck counts for a lot in this game. I've been playing some games with her to try out the improved Shivs, but that got derailed early in this run. Like my 2nd or 3rd card offered was Corpse Explosion. Hadn't even seen a Shiv card at that point. Right, so poison it is this round. Don't manage to pick up that much, but ultimately it didn't matter. Because I got offered Wraith Form not once, not twice but three loving times! Directly offered even, no Dolly's Mirror involved. I pruned my deck poorly, removing attacks when I should've pruned dead-weight Defends, but ultimately it didn't matter.

Of course, my very next run I try for a rare card knowing Silent has a lot of duds, and sure enough I get Grand Finale, which is worse than nothing. Doesn't even begin to make up for my luck last run, though.

Lammasu posted:

I did it! I got the "Ooh Donut" achievement. But I've been playing Iron Clad so long I don't remember how to play anything else.

Congratulations, that's a pretty satisfying achievement, I'd say :)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

I LOVE sealed deck dailies! Picked 2 Pressure Points, 2 double energy, a hologram and never looked back. 15/15 elites and 3/3 bosses perfected. 1640 score, currently sitting at 7th and hoping I end up in the top 100.

huh, I've never really bothered with the dailies but I have to admit the sheer bullshit is amusing. when else are you going to have a chance to omni meteor strike?

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Hey folks, after an act 1 boss I got offered After Image, Wraith Form and Thousand Cuts. Picked After Image, but can't say I feel confident in choosing it over Wraith form. Which one would you have picked, and why?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Caustic Soda posted:

Hey folks, after an act 1 boss I got offered After Image, Wraith Form and Thousand Cuts. Picked After Image, but can't say I feel confident in choosing it over Wraith form. Which one would you have picked, and why?

Can't really answer questions like this without knowing what cards/relics you have. Generally Wraith Form is basically the best card in the game, but sometimes After Image is really good.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Wraith Form. Very potent defense (esp when upgraded), and a drawback you can play around either via artifact potion/source of artifact, or just finishing fights before it becomes too much of a problem, or having a headstart on it via kunai/Footwork/smooth stone.

After Image is what I would pick if I couldn't pick Wraith Form because slapping 1 block on anything you do adds up (especially with shivs), and Thousand Cuts... Is not something I like a lot.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Wraith Form is unbelievably good and is almost always the right pick, and it's almost always the next upgrade you get.

Here's how good Wraith Form is: I answered this question without asking you what the rest of your deck looks like. There isn't a single other card in the game where I would just answer this question without that info. Unless you already had, like, 3 Wraith Forms, in which case I'd go with the After Image, since Wraith Form and After Image are good together. But start with the intangible. Intangible is the most broken mechanic in the game. Some strong players who grind ascension 20 all the time complain about intangible because it's TOO GOOD.

I'm seriously not exaggerating when I say that if you had named ANY OTHER CARD other than Wraith Form in this question, I wouldn't have even attempted to answer it without getting more info about your deck. Wraith Form is extremely strong in EVERY POSSIBLE DECK. I've tried, as a mental exercise, to dream up a deck where Wraith Form isn't incredible, and I can't do it even hypothetically.

Hyperbeam does 1 damage to you. When you're vulnerable against Slavers and all 3 are attacking you, you're facing 1 damage. When you're vulnerable on turn 2 or 3 against the heart, and it's doing its big attack, you're facing 1 damage. On turn 3 against the act 4 elites, when Spire Shield is doing its big attack, you're facing 1 damage. You get 3 turns in a row against Giant Head doing its big attacks that do 1 damage each.

It routinely blocks for triple digit amounts. You just have to be careful about playing it too early, of course.

Now, After Image is a good card, for sure. And it only costs 1 energy instead of 3. So it doesn't need to block the same amount overall to be good to play. But it will rarely come close to blocking a similar amount even on a per-cost basis. Probably only boss fights will go long enough to give it a chance to block 30+ damage. So while I like After Image quite a bit, Wraith Form is almost always the correct pick here.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I generally skip Wraith Form because it makes the game boring.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
I got my A18 Silent win tonight with After Image, Kunai, Unceasing Top, and 3 Blade Dances. It worked great until the Shield/Spear Burns shut my gameplan down. It was fun to make a shiv deck work. Never saw Wraith Form and only saw Accuracy in the first couple of floors before I committed to shiv.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

After Image is a good utility power in that it can shore up your defenses when you're just shy of fully blocking attacks, which can save your neck if you're losing 4 or 6 health per fight. It does not always save you from certain death, but it can ensure that you can make it past Act 2 into Act 3 with enough health to resist whatever the bosses can throw at you. It's not too underrated since it scales with the amount of cards you can play, but more block is always nice.

It's when you pair it up with something like a Duplication Potion or Nightmare that the really dumb things start to happen and you start generating 4 or 6 block per card played that it can start to take over, but you need to set up for a move like that. Awakened One and Time Eater can punish you dearly most of the time if you try this.

Thousand Cuts is in the same vein as After Effect, but because it's applying damage, as well as costing 2 energy to play, is not nearly as useful as it is much slower to set up. It's sort of nice, but usually, you have something much better in Corpse Explosion or you burst through with other options. That being said, it's still nice when dealing with shapes as it does not trigger Thorns. It's no slouch against Reptomancer either.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Caustic Soda posted:

Congratulations, that's a pretty satisfying achievement, I'd say :)

And much easier to do if you start a new account. Feed is in the starter pool, so you're more likely to see it if you haven't unlocked anything, and the first time you generate Act 3 the boss will always be Donu/Deca. So you can start a new account, pick Ironclad for your first run, and if you haven't got a Feed by the end of Act 2 just abandon and start over.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wraith form is in fact so good that i can't fathom many scenarios where its downright a bad pick, but i very frequently skip it because it's so good that it's a really boring card.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I mean, if I got an early Kunai and that led me to draft two Cloaks and Daggers and a Blade Dance, then I'd take After Image over Wraith Form. Maybe.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Ended up 55th overall. My previous best was 83!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Dum dee dum, i'm walking up this spire with exactly three rares in my deck. . .

ah gently caress.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Deva Form ew

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
With snecko? I'd put that in my deck every time!

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
How possible would it be to use Slay the Spire mechanics as the basis for a combat system in a tabletop system. It would be with a smaller group of 3 players, who love card games and would get a big kick out of the deck building aspects. Are there game systems out there that do this (or group-based deck builders that I should look at that would be interesting with group members being separately controlled)?

The problems that I see in doing this:
1. Slay is 1v1 or 1v Few, so there is no wizard hiding in the back. One could live with that change and make sure everyone is getting attacked frequently.
2. What is the role of tactical positioning? It can be abstractly included in the block cards (standing back with shields up, dodging backwards with fancy footwork). One also needs to limit the power of multi-attacks to a few enemies at a time, which could be one use for a combat grid.
3. How do the players interact in combat? Can they block for one another? They'll at least benefit from each other applying debuffs, so each character can specialize more than in the real game.
4. Random choices need to be reduced for time reasons. No more exhausting/discarding a random card. Goodbye sword boomerang. But then lightning orbs would need a full rework.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TacoNight posted:

How possible would it be to use Slay the Spire mechanics as the basis for a combat system in a tabletop system. It would be with a smaller group of 3 players, who love card games and would get a big kick out of the deck building aspects. Are there game systems out there that do this (or group-based deck builders that I should look at that would be interesting with group members being separately controlled)?
I think Gloom haven is already like this.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

https://clips.twitch.tv/ChillyRoundEggnogShazBotstix

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

TacoNight posted:

1. Slay is 1v1 or 1v Few, so there is no wizard hiding in the back. One could live with that change and make sure everyone is getting attacked frequently.
2. What is the role of tactical positioning? It can be abstractly included in the block cards (standing back with shields up, dodging backwards with fancy footwork). One also needs to limit the power of multi-attacks to a few enemies at a time, which could be one use for a combat grid.
3. How do the players interact in combat? Can they block for one another? They'll at least benefit from each other applying debuffs, so each character can specialize more than in the real game.
4. Random choices need to be reduced for time reasons. No more exhausting/discarding a random card. Goodbye sword boomerang. But then lightning orbs would need a full rework.

sounds kind of similar to the legendary deckbuilding games (there's a dc comics branded one that's good too). basically dominion except you're fighting supervillains and whoever does the best job wins at the end. iirc the dc one is all pvp but the legendary series has co-op elements (there's a singular winner but also a "the bad guys win and you all lose" outcome if you don't work together a bit

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I think Gloom haven is already like this.

Not quite, your abilities are card-based but it isn't about deck building, it's about resource management. You actually LOSE cards over the course of a session with very, very few ways to replace them.

Great game if you're into tactical dungeon crawling though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

little munchkin posted:

(there's a singular winner but also a "the bad guys win and you all lose" outcome if you don't work together a bit

I loved this about M.U.L.E. back in the day. The "you can't screw people too hard or you'll sink the colony and everybody will lose" aspect made it much more interesting to me than Monopoly or any other game where the objective is to capitalism people as hard as you can.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

TacoNight posted:

Not saying it can't be done, but the pacing might need to be tweaked a lot. One of the things about Sts that works fine in a single player video game is that some hands are brain dead easy and some hands you can Life Coach for two hours. What happens when two players have a Life Coach hand and are trying to coordinate with each other? Or a third player has a hand of all Defends, and now is waiting for the other two?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have one deck, but multiple energy pools, and some cards need teamups

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

little munchkin posted:

sounds kind of similar to the legendary deckbuilding games (there's a dc comics branded one that's good too). basically dominion except you're fighting supervillains and whoever does the best job wins at the end. iirc the dc one is all pvp but the legendary series has co-op elements (there's a singular winner but also a "the bad guys win and you all lose" outcome if you don't work together a bit

Are you talking about Sentinels of the Multiverse? That game owns. Are there more of them? (besides the DC and Marvel ones).

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

https://twitter.com/kungfuXander/status/1337535433312374785?s=20

Imgur not working but Corruption+Bottled Tornado+Dead Branch made the snail fight hard but the heart fight pretty easy

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
If anyone else is nearly done and looking to finish off those last couple achievements, this Ironclad build guide is what got 20-minute run and one-turn-kill a boss done for me https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/83xoyp/ironclad_build_guide_flex_decks/

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I know watcher definitely does not need a buff, but I feel it would be quite funny if Judgement damage went up by 2 or so on success.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Ritual Judgment?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

metachronos posted:

Are you talking about Sentinels of the Multiverse? That game owns. Are there more of them? (besides the DC and Marvel ones).

never played sentinels, not sure similar it is. dc deck building is it's own thing, the marvel ones are part of the legendary series which has a bunch of spinoffs themed around various media properties.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Arivia posted:

If anyone else is nearly done and looking to finish off those last couple achievements, this Ironclad build guide is what got 20-minute run and one-turn-kill a boss done for me https://www.reddit.com/r/slaythespire/comments/83xoyp/ironclad_build_guide_flex_decks/

I'd like to see what this deck ends up looking like. I can't imagine it would fare well against Time Eater, but it would do quite well against Donu and Deca. Sort of a wash on the Awakened One, depending on how reliant you are on Demon Form or something else not named Flex to accumulate strength.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Watch a Slay the Spire speedrun to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

demon form isnt really a wash on awakened one as you get constantly scaling strength and it gets. 2 strength.