Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

site posted:

Hard to believe in Jesus when a purple space man killed half your friends and family

What does Jesus have to do with Christmas?

Actually, I’m pretty sure Santa Claus is an actual, real entity in the Marvel comics and Jesus isn’t (canonically, at least), so...

EDIT: Actually, no, Jesus existed, too, and apparently Thor was there...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sumo posted:

There's the GotG Holiday Special for Disney+

It had best be a shot for shot remake of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Up to and including getting Zoe Saldana blitzed off her tits on cocaine.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

What does Jesus have to do with Christmas?

Actually, I’m pretty sure Santa Claus is an actual, real entity in the Marvel comics and Jesus isn’t (canonically, at least), so...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Someone had to hammer the nails.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Alhazred posted:

:drat:

Also, Santa Claus is an omega level mutant.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Question IRL posted:

It had best be a shot for shot remake of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Up to and including getting Zoe Saldana blitzed off her tits on cocaine.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1337203096145936386?s=19

Alhazred posted:

yowza, perhaps too spicy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Even young Brosnan is too like... Likeable. Reed in my head is a guy who comes off as cold and distant and maybe even a bit scatterbrained if you don't know him well, but under that is a really genuinely warm, self sacrificing person who does everything for his family and the world. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head for it.

E: That one issue that's a retelling of the origin but then he tells it to baby Valeria after but in a way that's less "we got these cool powers," and is instead "your daddy made a really bad mistake that ruined the lives of all the people closest to him, and all this celebrity poo poo is because it's the closest to normal I can give them now," should be the scene people use to audition.

Yeah, Reed's such an interesting character because he's right on the edge of megalomaniacal supervillain and Tony Stark like savior complex. But his love for his family and the guilt he feels for what he did to them when he gave into that megalomania keeps him in check and dedicated to trying to make amends and make it somehow worth it. But every time Namore steals Sue away or something goes real bad he breaks and every alternate version of him that lost his family or didn't find that balance is just a loving threat to everyone and everything. Its a really interesting line to walk. Superficially its the same archetype of Tony Stark/Stephen Strange the MCU loves, but they're all arrogant loners and Reed's key is his family that keeps him humble.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I hope the FF4 are introduced by making Peter Parker and Johnny Storm college roommates.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I just realized this would make it attempt number 4 to make the Fantastic Four a thing. So 4th time's the charm? I'm ambivalent about the F4 but I have faith that Marvel/Disney can make me love them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phylodox posted:

They weren’t evil, they were just maniacally focused on completing the task for which they were created by any means necessary.

They represent his ambition. When he refuses to shut down the experiment when it's clear it's gone wrong the inhibitor chip is destroyed because he let his ambition take over. From then on he is ruled by it and becomes a villain.

It's not exactly subtle but I really like it.

One thing I will say though, in earlier drafts of the script, in the novelization and in the video game, the arms convincing him Spider-man's interference is what caused the explosion is a bigger focus, and, crucially, they use his grief and guilt at his wife's death to do so by redirecting the blame on Spider-man, so he spends a lot of the story angrily accusing Spider-man of causing her death, which makes his cruelty to Spidey in particular more understandable from a character perspective. It's not just that Spider-man's in his way, he loving hates the guy. I think they probably should've kept that element in the final film. It would've made their fights a bit more emotional, and it would also have meant he didn't seem to forget about his wife 5 minutes after she dies.

It's hardly Spider-man 3's biggest problem, but there's a similar situation where they cut a subplot where Venom finds out about Sandman's family and threatens to hurt them if he doesn't work with him, which would've made Sandman more of a sympathetic character and less of a mute goon. Plus it means their teaming up wouldn't have been an awkwardly shot scene in an alley that lasts 3 seconds.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I hope the FF4 are introduced by making Peter Parker and Johnny Storm college roommates.

But that's how we introduce Iceman and the X-Men!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Phylodox posted:

He was the Friend of Johnny Blaze until Jim Shooter didn't want to tie Ghost Rider to Christianity that closely and just became a lying demon who lies. Although that was a demon so he could have been lying about having been the Friend.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I guess they can't go with adapting Hickman's FF run since general audiences would think that they're ripping off Rick and Morty

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think adapting Hickman's FF would require prior setup and launching into it if the gate doesn't work without establishing Reed, but bringing it up does make me wonder if they will have Valeria and Franklin as characters or if it will just the original 4

site fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 11, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FF has a LOT of characters and history stuff to get into in sequels if it works. They should probably focus mainly on the Four in fantastic Four. And maybe Doom. Or Namor. But Franklin and Valeria seem like sequels territory.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if they want to have the kids, which tbh they don't need to do but I do like them so I would like to see them, the problem I see if they don't establish them in the first movie is how they would be able to be included. Everybody seems to get 3 movies so if they wait till 2 I would presume Sue would have to be pregnant at the beginning and probably have them (twins because there's no way you can cram 2 pregnancies into 2 movies) at the end of the film and then, they are just babies in 3? have a time skip so they are older? I dunno, just seems easier for them to just be there at the start.

Again tho, is just something I'd like to see and there is plenty for the 4 to do without the kids being there

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

site posted:

I think adapting Hickman's FF would require prior setup and launching into it if the gate doesn't work without establishing Reed, but bringing it up does make me wonder if they will have Valeria and Franklin as characters or if it will just the original 4

The MCU does have a tendency to adapt recent stuff rather than classic iconic stories. Or at least adopt the aesthetics of that recent stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any actor out there hot enough to do Namor justice on the big screen?

Lurdiak posted:

The MCU does have a tendency to adapt recent stuff rather than classic iconic stories. Or at least adopt the aesthetics of that recent stuff.

X-Men should jump right to Krakoa, then. :getin:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Oscar Isaac

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

site posted:

if they want to have the kids, which tbh they don't need to do but I do like them so I would like to see them, the problem I see if they don't establish them in the first movie is how they would be able to be included. Everybody seems to get 3 movies so if they wait till 2 I would presume Sue would have to be pregnant at the beginning and probably have them (twins because there's no way you can cram 2 pregnancies into 2 movies) at the end of the film and then, they are just babies in 3? have a time skip so they are older? I dunno, just seems easier for them to just be there at the start.

Again tho, is just something I'd like to see and there is plenty for the 4 to do without the kids being there

I mean, if they want to FF to Franklin/Valeria stuff in FF2 or 3 then there's all kinds of multiverse and time travel shenanigans you can do. Plus like, there's years between films so you can always age them up naturally if there's enough space between the movies. But we don't really know that there's a 3 films and you're done rule. That's kind of been the case but it also kind of hasn't. There were 3 Iron Man movies but also 4 Avengers, Civil Wars, and Spider-Man that all starred him. The Black Widow film is her 8th film (after she died). Thor's getting a 4th. Guardians are costarring it like its a 4th of theirs. So I think stuff's a lot more fluid than Iron Man/Cap 1-3 would suggest. And if you were doing Franklin/Valeria that could be the kind of thing like Love and Thunder or the Young Avengers stuff that feels like its setting up towards the next step.

Basically if you want to do Franklin and Valeria cast actors for Reed and Sue who are young enough to be around awhile but the rest feels like getting ahead of things. Maybe if you're REALLY confident end FF with Sue being pregnant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still think the best way to do an MCU F4 movie is to start with them doing Super Science! in the 60s, then their big experiment sends them forward in time to the current MCU so you get that Space Age optimism mixed with fish out of water/man out of time stuff.

Ideally you’d just skip the entire origin ala Homecoming, but I doubt they’ll pass up the opportunity given the public reception of every previous F4 movie incarnation.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress it cast Jason Momoa. About time we moved from friendly rivalry to open war.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

theironjef posted:

gently caress it cast Jason Momoa. About time we moved from friendly rivalry to open war.

This only works if they do the reveal where Johnny burns off Namor’s facial hair.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still think its to introduce them gradually. Have Doom pop up as a person of interest in BP, Strange, and other films. Have Johnny in the Spider-Man movie. Have Reed as the next big brain working with SHIELD and Stark Tech and Wakanda for space travel. Work the characters into the fabric of the MCU so when you do the movie you can speed into the origin and get right to the broader world building and adventure. Without knowing what's going on in the MCU with space travel and SHIELD and multiverses and Black Panther its hard to come up qith specifics but there's so many ways to work them in as supporting characters with purpose.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This only works if they do the reveal where Johnny burns off Namor’s facial hair.

If they don't I'll never forgive them. But that again creates the problem that you're gonna have to establish the idea of Namor first.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyone who has played a Vulcan can play Namor.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1337507072032780288

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Aphrodite posted:

Anyone who has played a Vulcan can play Namor.

Tim Russ!

(But seriously, Ethan Peck from Star Trek Discovery could be a great Namor.)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I always saw Justin theroux as Namor

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

awesome! Blindspot was decent for a season or two but man it dragged on for the next ones. So glad it finally ended so she could be back in the MCU

I wonder how they explain her absence away? The last she was involved was in AoS but not sure if they will acknowledge that?

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 12, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was irrationally upset at her not being around, probably because Sif was one of the few characters to pop up on SHIELD which made her feel more important somehow. But I'm pumped to see Jane, Sif, and Valk teamup.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

She’s just in for 10 seconds in the after credits scene, returning to Asgard from wherever she’s been. “Hey guys I’m ho-“

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

X-Men should jump right to Krakoa, then. :getin:

It could work. You could make the X-Men at the start of the movie feel like this mysterious group that whisks teenagers off to Neverland.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, if they want to FF to Franklin/Valeria stuff in FF2 or 3 then there's all kinds of multiverse and time travel shenanigans you can do. Plus like, there's years between films so you can always age them up naturally if there's enough space between the movies. But we don't really know that there's a 3 films and you're done rule. That's kind of been the case but it also kind of hasn't. There were 3 Iron Man movies but also 4 Avengers, Civil Wars, and Spider-Man that all starred him. The Black Widow film is her 8th film (after she died). Thor's getting a 4th. Guardians are costarring it like its a 4th of theirs. So I think stuff's a lot more fluid than Iron Man/Cap 1-3 would suggest. And if you were doing Franklin/Valeria that could be the kind of thing like Love and Thunder or the Young Avengers stuff that feels like its setting up towards the next step.

These are good points

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A friend once suggested Daniel Dae Kim (Jin from LOST) as Namor, and I could never unsee it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Digital Jedi posted:

I wonder how they explain her absence away? The last she was involved was in AoS but not sure if they will acknowledge that?

The next time the MCU acknowledges AoS feels like it will be the first.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like you can easily handwave an explanation of Sif being off planet during Ragnarok doing whatever the same way Thor, Loki, and that third Warrior Three were. But she didn't get the news or make it back before Asgard fell and with the Bifrost destroyed she was cut off from the Infinity War/Endgame action. Then she finally finds her way to New Asgard or Thor and the Guardians encounter her off planet and she's all angry and sad and guilt ridden like a more bad rear end Ronin.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like you can easily handwave an explanation of Sif being off planet during Ragnarok doing whatever the same way Thor, Loki, and that third Warrior Three were. But she didn't get the news or make it back before Asgard fell and with the Bifrost destroyed she was cut off from the Infinity War/Endgame action. Then she finally finds her way to New Asgard or Thor and the Guardians encounter her off planet and she's all angry and sad and guilt ridden like a more bad rear end Ronin.

The Warriors Three are all dead. Voltage and Fandrall were at the Bifrost and died right away, then Hogun made a a stand and got killed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Retro Futurist posted:

The Warriors Three are all dead. Voltage and Fandrall were at the Bifrost and died right away, then Hogun made a a stand and got killed.

Yeah but Hogun was off world or something when Hela first showed up and killed the other two, then he showed back up to make a doomed pushback when he would have been better off being slower and waiting for Thor and Loki. So Sif could have just been real late.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sif was obviously off having adventures with Beta Ray Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thor?