Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

What about that bloke what done Night Watch

Double catte tax because it was such a poo poo snipe:

Wachter fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

NotJustANumber99 posted:

presumably anyone with some animals can make some cheese

I have nipples, Greg. Could you milk me?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I’d eat the gently caress out of that list.

The only cheese I’ve made is paneer. Very easy, very satisfying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wachter posted:

What about that bloke what done Night Watch

Double catte tax because it was such a poo poo snipe:

I don't think rembrandt was soviet.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

kecske posted:

you're thinking of the Commons. The Lords sit down in their own gold plated red velvet room where they all snooze and drone on at each other like the world's most expensive care home

:actually: the American (I think?) is right here. The UK Parliament is both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Houses of Parliament in the Palace of Westminster.

You are 100% correct about the snoozing and the droning and the expensive care home.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am a US-Canadian citizen but yes.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1337537017408720896

Getting into a war with the EU because a French boat got near a British cod.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

The only soviet filmmakers I know are andrei tarkovsky and... whatshisface kuleshov.

But yes, that was why I thought it was interesting, just the small scale examples of rewriting history to omit inconvenient elements, extremely emblematic of how libs work and basically the guardian's raisin d entire.

kuleshov or sergei eisenstein? who i only know about because in some tom clancy book one of the American heroes figures out that Russia is planning to attack the West because they remastered the audio to one of his films.

kecske fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 12, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is pretty great. Read the whole thread

https://twitter.com/georgegascon/status/1336050937597554688?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1337439534821339136?s=20
https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1337441656392609793?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The clinicians throw down was an excellent piece of thread comedy
I'll have you know I was first on the list to be first aid trained at sainsburys but wasn't so you two keep your distance

I also liked owls joke about JK Rowling tweeting that all her friends are standing behind her, TERFing too

therattle posted:

I’d eat the gently caress out of that list.

The only cheese I’ve made is paneer. Very easy, very satisfying.

Hell yeah it's very simple , do you make saag paneer or something else?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

presumably anyone with some animals can make some cheese

richard herring proved you can milk just about any animal on TMWRNJ so it stands to reason said milk can be made into cheese

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Communist Thoughts posted:

The clinicians throw down was an excellent piece of thread comedy
I'll have you know I was first on the list to be first aid trained at sainsburys but wasn't so you two keep your distance

I also liked owls joke about JK Rowling tweeting that all her friends are standing behind her, TERFing too

Hell yeah it's very simple , do you make saag paneer or something else?

Usually mutaar paneer, or just a made-up paneer-based dish.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I failed the first aid test at school. That dratted dummy would NOT resuscitate.
That was the first time in my life that my name appeared top of a FAILED list.
Most humiliating. A good lesson in learning humility!

The next thing I failed was the Duke of Edinburgh bronze award. Our group got hopelessly lost in the forest in the Saarland and everyone else was sitting in the WD buses waiting for us for hours until the grown ups came and found us. (Ed: long long before smart phones with GPS or drones and stuff.)

Added for very sideways related reasons (and because I just happened to be listening to it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPi8iJknJZo

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 12, 2020

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

That was a hell of a plot twist

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Gonzo McFee posted:

Most right-wing canards have a fairly obvious psychosexual element but the fishing stuff baffles me, it was legit a local livelihood issue in a few constituencies but Debenhams just laid off more British people, as GDP stats but also just numbers of previously-able-to-earn-a-living-wage-people, than the EU hosed over on fisheries, but there's been nary a peep from the establishment brexit crowd about that.

Literally the only consistently illuminating frame to understand right-wing conservatism by is psychosexual poo poo, the fisheries stuff always had a weak economic populist edge but this is just loving bizarre, the Daily Mail does realise Navy staff get paid right? And it costs money to do operations? We're gonna send out loving gunboats full of people to preserve what exactly? There is clearly a sex thing happening here, the waters are a fertile channel we must protect from foreign invaders or something, it's completely illogical otherwise.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Niric posted:

That was a hell of a plot twist
Yeah it just keeps getting better. And then the replies happen, but lol gently caress most of them.

e: ^^ If you want to do it as psychosexual then they're still stuck in Freud's oral stage. We need food. Fish is food. Fish comes from water. Control our fish water. They've not yet got to the bit where we export most of that poo poo to Europe in exchange for the fish people eat, or that fish doesn't keep well.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 12, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Most right-wing canards have a fairly obvious psychosexual element but the fishing stuff baffles me, it was legit a local livelihood issue in a few constituencies but Debenhams just laid off more British people, as GDP stats but also just numbers of previously-able-to-earn-a-living-wage-people, than the EU hosed over on fisheries, but there's been nary a peep from the establishment brexit crowd about that.

Literally the only consistently illuminating frame to understand right-wing conservatism by is psychosexual poo poo, the fisheries stuff always had a weak economic populist edge but this is just loving bizarre, the Daily Mail does realise Navy staff get paid right? And it costs money to do operations? We're gonna sent out loving gunboats full of people to preserve what exactly? There is clearly a sex thing happening here, the waters are a fertile channel we must protect from foreign invaders or something, it's completely illogical otherwise.

It's a Deep One plot. Those continental trawlers keep waking up Daddy Dagon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Michel Gove is extremely concerned about what lies below doggerland.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
How the gently caress are we going to send in gunboats when we don't really have a navy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The RN has a few boats with guns on them that are not suitable for long range deployment but can probably terrorize a trawler.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
HMS Brenda threatening to launch kamikaze attacks on french trawlers with billion dollar american jets

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

The RN has a few boats with guns on them that are not suitable for long range deployment but can probably terrorize a trawler.

We lost against Icelandic trawlers at a time when we were actually a contender

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Continuity NIP posted:

How the gently caress are we going to send in gunboats when we don't really have a navy
This but it's Paul Nuttall in the middle of the Channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2NUCJOYRE8

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

lol I think the only way this can escalate is that Johnson isn't even actually doing this for personal gain but just wants to lead the glorious charge out of the EU entirely out of nationalism and will resign on Jan 1st with his primary mission accomplished.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Continuity NIP posted:

We lost against Icelandic trawlers at a time when we were actually a contender

For anyone too young to remember the Cod Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfD3gevx48Y

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Vitamin P posted:

Most right-wing canards have a fairly obvious psychosexual element but the fishing stuff baffles me
I think there was a song about Britannia & waves or some such

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For anyone too young to remember the Cod Wars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfD3gevx48Y

We tried it on and lost three times against a country with a population equivalent to 1.5 Yorks

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yep, this will work out well. Cod War 1 was against a country with literally no armed forces. This time France alone has a bigger navy than us, with nukes, and if you add in the rest of the EU, it's something like a 4:1 advantage (Spain has almost as many ships as the RN - and what's that, Skippy? They've been itching for an excuse to blockade Gibraltar?) I hope this is just the usual-suspect tabloids spouting chest-beating horseshit, because getting into a fight with our allies over fish - most of which we sell to the EU! - would complete this stupid country's spiral down the toilet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The RN's decently sized detachment of armed minesweepers are mostly plastic hulled I think, so certainly it would be interesting to watch them try to ram anything, we could increase the number of british built ships sunk in ill advised ramming maneuvers in recent history above 1.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Payndz posted:

Yep, this will work out well. Cod War 1 was against a country with literally no armed forces.

Which we somehow still lost iirc. (Mind you Cold War concerns about the GIUK gap didnt exactly help diplomatically)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fish Sex and Drug Dominance

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Continuity NIP posted:

OwlFancier posted:

Rather like how the 'cost saving' announced a few days ago of not sending Prince of Wales to America was actually because they're still fixing the leak and were never going to send it anyway, the 'four gunboats' (not gunboats and actually two at sea and two on standby) is just the usual strength of the RN Fishery Protection Squadron as it has been for decades.

So two lightly-armed patrol ships and a helicopter to cover all of the UK's territorial waters and...do what exactly? Supposing they actually come across an errant fishing vessel in the thousands of square miles of sea that they're not in at any given moment.

Shoot French trawlermen like some reverse Dogger Bank Incident? Jack really doesn't join up to shoot heavy machine guns at unarmed civilians, even if the press will go mental about these unmet incursions into Are Waters and how the RN is full of woke SJW snowflakes with their 'law of armed combat' and 'proportional response'.

'Gunboats' FFS. It's pure colonial nostalgia wank.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Fish Sex and Drug Dominance

ah, the new Chuck Tingle is out

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

No one reforms the LA Justice System like Gascón!
No one removes the death penalty like Gascón!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sorry to hear about his mysterious accidental death next week.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Holy poo poo, that's a great start. The bail and 3 strikes things are good, but the focus on letting off nonviolent offenders also incentivises criminals to try their damnedest not to get the public involved, which increases safety all round.

If he actually has the authority to do all of those things, that's pretty good and not just because it bloodies the nose of the private prison industry.

He's going to get shot, isn't he.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

Shoot French trawlermen like some reverse Dogger Bank Incident?
If I'd wanted HMNB Clyde to get a hesitant trigger finger over using Trident on Class B French Trawler St Jules (crew 4) then I would have voted for the communist Jeremy Corbin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

namesake posted:

lol I think the only way this can escalate is that Johnson isn't even actually doing this for personal gain but just wants to lead the glorious charge out of the EU entirely out of nationalism and will resign on Jan 1st with his primary mission accomplished.

Frankie Boyle - when Johnson was first running for Mayor of London - described him as the kind of man who in the Victorian era would have died at the age of 32 leading a cavalry charge into an active volcano, and I don't think I've ever heard a better description of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Happy 1 year anniversary of the defeat of the traitor Jimminy Croblin, lets look at the list of glorious successes Britain has achieved since then:

- erm
- gently caress