Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He lobbied to be in the suit in ROTS because it was that one quick scene. Seems way more likely he'd be Anakin in flashbacks but who knows. Seems weird to make him wear the suit for more than that - him being in Rogue One for example would be silly.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Imagine being part of the new trilogy and seeing Disney just memory hole the last 6+ years of your work. Just lol

The star war now has a fixed endpoint (until it doesn't) and they've realized people just want to see people in vests and armor do adventures with the big war as the backdrop. And I guess fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hasn't the Chad Vader guy voiced Darth Vader in some spinoff stuff?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

feedmyleg posted:

The Mandalorian's mission so far seems to be as a rehabilitator and unifier. I'm willing to bet that Snoke or Clone Emperors or Exogol show up in it at some point to justify RoS's choices and even make a decent story out of it along the way.

I mean that almost HAS to be the reason the Empire wants Baby Yoda, right? For force stem cells for Palpatine or something stupid. I'm curious how much new Star Wars stuff is gonna ignore sequel stuff and mildly rehab the prequels since the stink of the sequels are fresher.

I guess force stem cells are just midichlorians whatever

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hasn't the Chad Vader guy voiced Darth Vader in some spinoff stuff?

He was the official Darth Vader voice in all spinoff material from The Force Unleashed on until they started paying JEJ to do it again around Rebels season 2, iirc.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

sportsgenius86 posted:

JJ got mad at him for making a movie that didn’t suck

Was that really Abrams call?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've seen Rogue One, but I could not tell you one single memorable thing about Cassian Andor beyond his name. And they're hanging a whole series off him? Also, didn't he die at the end?

(Characters I remember from R1: Mads Mikkelson, his haughty daughter, Alan Tudyk robot, panicky radio guy, Saw Guevarra (?), Imperial rear end in a top hat in white, unnerving CGI Peter Cushing. And a blind monk or something?)

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

feedmyleg posted:

I'm a firm believer that Hayden's bizarre acting choices/speech patterns in the films are due to him attempting to match the cadence of James Earl Jones to provide for a continuity of character (but failing to pull it off). Just imagine James Earl Jones' "I have you now!" or "You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor!" in the voice of Hayden's Anakin. It's the same cadence and lilt.

For me this has always been the disconnect between the Vader we know and the Anakin of the prequels, and it's more a fault of the way the character is written moreso then the acting.

Vader has a rich, almost royal cadence. He enunciates each of his words carefully and with emphasis on the key words. I imagine this is James Earl Jones theatrical background coming through.

It's what that Chad Vader guy could nail that every itger Vader impersonator in videogames and other media seemed to fail to do before hand, making it obviously not James Earl Jones.

ROTSith makes the voice come across like something that comes about as a part of him being turned into a robot, just like how the emperor's creepy visage is because he scarred himself and not his 'true form' (which I much preferred the idea of).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

For me this has always been the disconnect between the Vader we know and the Anakin of the prequels, and it's more a fault of the way the character is written moreso then the acting.

Vader has a rich, almost royal cadence. He enunciates each of his words carefully and with emphasis on the key words. I imagine this is James Earl Jones theatrical background coming through.

It's what that Chad Vader guy could nail that every itger Vader impersonator in videogames and other media seemed to fail to do before hand, making it obviously not James Earl Jones.

ROTSith makes the voice come across like something that comes about as a part of him being turned into a robot, just like how the emperor's creepy visage is because he scarred himself and not his 'true form' (which I much preferred the idea of).

I think there's some deleted or unfilmed material suggesting that IS his true form, and doing the lightning bit just exposed it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Isometric Bacon posted:

This raises the question of what is meant by "true" form. Anakin being turned into a robot man is his form in truth in the same manner that the Republic becoming the Empire is the institution revealing it's true nature and Palpatine being transformed into a spidery mummy person is him showing his true colors as a politician.

The progression of the prequels is that everything either chooses or is forced to drop their pretenses. Anakin's dropping his affected speech post-robot is part of that.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 12, 2020

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

This raises the question of what is meant by "true" form. Anakin being turned into a robot man is his form and speech in truth in the same manner that the Republic becoming the Empire is the institution revealing it's true nature and Palpatine being transformed into a spidery mummy person is him showing his true colors as a politician.

I still think that for Vader and the Republic, the true falls are the Tusken massacre and the approval of the clone army. ROTS is just about getting the facades in place - getting Vader into the suit and stripping the star destroyers of their republic/jedi muted red

The voice thing I suppose you can chalk up to the scifi trope of universal translators or something. Even Lucas probably knew they couldn't have James Earl Jones play his one line in years weirdly

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Payndz posted:

I've seen Rogue One, but I could not tell you one single memorable thing about Cassian Andor beyond his name. And they're hanging a whole series off him? Also, didn't he die at the end?

(Characters I remember from R1: Mads Mikkelson, his haughty daughter, Alan Tudyk robot, panicky radio guy, Saw Guevarra (?), Imperial rear end in a top hat in white, unnerving CGI Peter Cushing. And a blind monk or something?)

I imagine the Tudyk robot will show up in the series, since R1 establishes that they've been partners for a while.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Payndz posted:

I've been reading DC and Marvel comics long enough that I feel that any character can be really interesting in the right hands.

If the Disney+ series that is one of 30 accomplishes that remains to be seen.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
The problem with using preestablished characters is that it very difficult to do to much new with them if you already know their end point, especially when their character growing moments were largely already done in a later film.

Of course there are exceptions to the rule, Better Call Saul is the perfect example... But I'd rather see new things. Damnit Star Wars, didn't you learn your lesson about prequels?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Diego Luna is a name and people liked the robot. Pre-star wars rebellion building that isn't centered around finding the plans to a death star could be interesting

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There was something about the way Andor was described that made me think it would be a short miniseries rather than a longer thing like Mando (or Clone Wars / Rebels).

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Isometric Bacon posted:

The problem with using preestablished characters is that it very difficult to do to much new with them if you already know their end point, especially when their character growing moments were largely already done in a later film.

Thankfully, that leaves Cassian Andor largely in the clear.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There was something about the way Andor was described that made me think it would be a short miniseries rather than a longer thing like Mando (or Clone Wars / Rebels).

Yeah, a 12 episode season makes me think it'll be a miniseries in the same vein as like Band of Brothers. Kenobi was described as a "special event series" so I assume both will follow the same "one-off" miniseries format.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Of Andor runs too long he’ll age way past how he looked in R1. I don’t know how they manage that in Better Call Saul or other properties. It’s a weird conundrum.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Ay, so Taika's movie might be set 25,000 years in the past.

Bring on the Tho Yors baby!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Taika Waititi will be fired halfway through filming when Disney execs discover that the scenes he has shot are funny.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

MasqueradeOverture posted:

Ay, so Taika's movie might be set 25,000 years in the past.

Bring on the Tho Yors baby!

They already established Tython in The Mandalorian so bring on the Force Wars

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

galagazombie posted:

IG-88 becoming the Death Star

i would like to learn more about this

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

romanowski posted:

i would like to learn more about this

IG-88A became the Death Star II's computer for a few minutes in an attempt to bring about a droid revolution - he's also the one responsible for the Death Star being able to hit anything as its targeting systems were terrible

In the NuCanon, that plan was instead perpetrated by IG-88B, which is the unit we see in ESB and he's thwarted by an astromech

The only mention of this is on a trading card

quote:

R2-Q5 is one of many droid attendants to Emperor Palpatine. While mainly used for astrogation and data storage, Q5 was single-handedly responsible for thwarting IG-88's software infiltration aboard Death Star II.

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 13, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Of Andor runs too long he’ll age way past how he looked in R1. I don’t know how they manage that in Better Call Saul or other properties. It’s a weird conundrum.

Bob Odenkirk just stopped aging like twenty years ago and Jonathon Banks has just always been crazy old.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

It's funny because the BCS threads constantly complain about their suspension of disbelief despite the effort the show puts in on the flashback makeup/wigs

This has about as many interesting ideas as the actual slate. Gonk me up

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

For real, 4 of the 6 joke titles are more interesting than the majority of the legit ones.

E: poo poo, didn’t see surtitle for Maclunkey, make that 5 out of the 6.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My favorite detail is the I in broom kid being broom kid.

That's exactly how they would make that stupid logo.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The funny thing is its not just Star Wars that's getting the slop. Spinoffs and series' for Beauty and the Beast, Moana, Toy Story? Who is asking for this poo poo

Lightyear, at least, might find itself being good. The Toy Story short films are stronger than at least two of the movies, and the cartoon (which was also about the "real" Buzz Lightyear) was entertaining, although not really good enough to be watchable by adults, I think.

weekly font posted:

I mean that almost HAS to be the reason the Empire wants Baby Yoda, right? For force stem cells for Palpatine or something stupid. I'm curious how much new Star Wars stuff is gonna ignore sequel stuff and mildly rehab the prequels since the stink of the sequels are fresher.

I guess force stem cells are just midichlorians whatever

They explicitly say that the "m-count" is involved in the Baby Yoda studies, so yes. This is a reasonable explanation for how vat grown Snokes got strong force connections, while also giving us an excuse to give Gideon force powers and have him fight Din, which I remain convinced is a thing that will happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If they made Watto just a space Pawn Stars I'd catch every episode.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Ryan Coogler's Creed, but it's Jar Jar's son trying to redeem his father's name.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Roth posted:

My favorite detail is the I in broom kid being broom kid.

That's exactly how they would make that stupid logo.

He's clearly the K

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Schwarzwald posted:

i was thinking something more like The Deuce but either way

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

We can meet Watto's friends who are all inexplicably experts in whatever junk gets brought to him that episode.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Roth posted:

We can meet Watto's friends who are all inexplicably experts in whatever junk gets brought to him that episode.

Willow Ufgood: "sorry but these are just very old, normal acorns"

Watto: "hrrmm ok I accept Republic credits for this, one time only hehehe"

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm thinking of doing a 3d model of one of my blaster designs as a personal fun side project and to improve at some new techniques. I'm curious which one yall think I should try out modelling first?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Imagine being part of the new trilogy and seeing Disney just memory hole the last 6+ years of your work. Just lol

It seems the principle actors considered the experience a drag and are glad to be done with it.

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
The barrel on the bottom one is very cool, go for it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
IG-88s, in my Death Star?!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Uncut Gems, but with Watto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I love how sad Watto is in AotC. Lucas could've had Anakin come back and hate him and murder him as part of his downfall, but instead he just made Watto into total loser who feels below Anakin's attention. It's a nice touch.