Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

T-man posted:

you wouldn't need to bake the yeast you goons

all i need is a fully staffed lab, millions of dollars of equipment, and qualifications. goon project?

this mother fucker eating raw bread dough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gods_Butthole posted:

I'm very excited that mushroom de-criminalization is starting to make the rounds.
Oregon full-on legalized shrooms, didn't just decriminalize.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Cologne and perfume commercials are especially stupid because what smells good to you is very personal and the handful of times I bought cologne I just ended up smelling different testers and going with what I liked. I can't remember ever seeing a commercial that made me remember or want a specific cologne.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gorson posted:

More to the point, they're describing Soma:

I thought so at first but I'm pretty sure Soma was addictive and could kill you, at least it killed that one lady who came back from the savage lands or w/e they were called

Dawncloack posted:

You cant say anything like that about perfume. Deodorants, detergent, toothpaste, freshener.... the ad can only sell an image, a sensation.

That reminds me, my favorite advertising trend is gasoline ads that frame the gasoline as being delicious

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Gorson posted:

More to the point, they're describing Soma:

attn Special Circumstances just give me drug glands

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Now that I said that I can't actually find the commercial I'm thinking of, but I swear there was one that was shot like a goddamn beer commercial, with amber liquid pouring down and filling up the screen in slow motion, while they talk about how pure it is, except it's gasoline

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Cologne and perfume commercials are especially stupid because what smells good to you is very personal and the handful of times I bought cologne I just ended up smelling different testers and going with what I liked. I can't remember ever seeing a commercial that made me remember or want a specific cologne.

I think the idea is to make the target demographic (ie not goons) aware that a new product from their favourite brand is available and that they should check it out instead of just buying their usual. Just like a commercial for a new falafel with cilantro or whatever.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

I thought so at first but I'm pretty sure Soma was addictive and could kill you, at least it killed that one lady who came back from the savage lands or w/e they were called

That reminds me, my favorite advertising trend is gasoline ads that frame the gasoline as being delicious

It's been forever since I read that book but I think the drug was not chemically addictive and you could not overdose from it, it was described as the "perfect" drug. IIRC Linda, who came back from the savage lands and overdosed, was addicted to other drugs.

If you want allegories for soma in our modern world, it's not hard to find them: valium, xanax...people have begun microdosing Psilocybin on a daily basis. As our reality becomes more insane we will become more desperate to keep that insanity at bay.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gorson posted:

It's been forever since I read that book but I think the drug was not chemically addictive and you could not overdose from it, it was described as the "perfect" drug. IIRC Linda, who came back from the savage lands and overdosed, was addicted to other drugs.

If you want allegories for soma in our modern world, it's not hard to find them: valium, xanax...people have begun microdosing Psilocybin on a daily basis. As our reality becomes more insane we will become more desperate to keep that insanity at bay.

Going by the plot summary on Wikipedia the only drug she does is soma:

quote:

Considered hideous and friendless, Linda spends all her time using soma

and like I definitely remember them taking a page or so in the book to explain how like it's fine if you use it in the doses the government hands out but if you just have an unlimited supply of it that you stay on high doses of for weeks at a time it kills you, even though it's supposed to be the perfect drug. That stuck out to young me cuz up until that point I thought it sounded super rad and I wanted some and that was a big let-down :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shame Boy posted:

gasoline ads
Come again?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Splicer posted:

Come again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SjTm4kt10

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

Only is very controlled settings though. Not recreational sadly.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

BonHair posted:

I think the idea is to make the target demographic (ie not goons) aware that a new product from their favourite brand is available and that they should check it out instead of just buying their usual. Just like a commercial for a new falafel with cilantro or whatever.

no... that cant be right. the commercial i dont normally see (dont even have a tv natch) didnt work so its fail. check mate. facts

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Black lives matter! Vaseline!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jErETm3aVyE

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017

Elderbean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGard6XPov0

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

BonHair posted:

Is LSD production actually expensive? I was under the impression that it's fairly simple to make, the hard part is the illegality? And I guess the market for non-addictive drugs is less lucrative and thus has fewer suppliers.

The precursors are very closely watched, meaning it's difficult to obtain them and they are expensive. If you have the precursor you still as mentioned need the know-how of a chemistry master's and a highly equipped lab to do it in, and you will get caught eventually because precursor doesn't just come from thin air. Back in the 70s-80s acid heyday, manufacturers made precursor themselves, but it's very expensive because it requires you to cultivate ergot, a rye fungus that's famously difficult and even dangerous to work with. So you're looking at the know how of a highly experienced biologist, perhaps even a phd, in a sterile lab. It would be much cheaper if it were legal, this is well within the grasp of a pharmaceutical company. But for illegal manufacture the difficulties are clear, so it ends being one of the most expensive substances on earth per gram.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot#Saint_Anthony%27s_fire_and_the_Antonites

I highly recommend "LSD: My Problem Child" by Albert Hofmann, the creator of LSD, identifier of psylocibin and all around interesting guy. It contains a lot of information about entheogens from multiple perspectives, collated by an actual non-kooky scientist - which makes some poo poo even more eerie and interesting. For instance, LSD was actually first synthesized 5 years before its effect was discovered, and dismissed, but:

quote:

The solution of the ergotoxine problem had led to fruitful results, described here only briefly, and had opened up further avenues of research. And yet I could not forget the relatively uninteresting LSD-25. A peculiar presentiment—the feeling that this substance could possess properties other than those established in the first investigations—induced me, five years after the first synthesis, to produce LSD-25 once again so that a sample could be given to the pharmacological department for further tests. This was quite unusual; experimental substances, as a rule, were definitely stricken from the research program if once found to be lacking in pharmacological interest.

Nevertheless, in the spring of 1943, I repeated the synthesis of LSD-25. As in the first synthesis, this involved the production of only a few centigrams of the compound.

In the final step of the synthesis, during the purification and crystallization of lysergic acid diethylamide in the form of a tartrate (tartaric acid salt), I was interrupted in my work by unusual sensations. The following description of this incident comes from the report that I sent at the time to Professor Stoll:
Last Friday, April 16,1943, I was forced to interrupt my work in the laboratory in the middle of the afternoon and proceed home, being affected by a remarkable restlessness, combined with a slight dizziness. At home I lay down and sank into a not unpleasant intoxicated-like condition, characterized by an extremely stimulated imagination. In a dreamlike state, with eyes closed (I found the daylight to be unpleasantly glaring), I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors. After some two hours this condition faded away.

This was, altogether, a remarkable experience—both in its sudden onset and its extraordinary course. It seemed to have resulted from some external toxic influence; I surmised a connection with the substance I had been working with at the time, lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate. But this led to another question: how had I managed to absorb this material? Because of the known toxicity of ergot substances, I always maintained meticulously neat work habits. Possibly a bit of the LSD solution had contacted my fingertips during crystallization, and a trace of the substance was absorbed through the skin. If LSD-25 had indeed been the cause of this bizarre experience, then it must be a substance of extraordinary potency. There seemed to be only one way of getting to the bottom of this. I decided on a self-experiment.

Exercising extreme caution, I began the planned series of experiments with the smallest quantity that could be expected to produce some effect, considering the activity of the ergot alkaloids known at the time: namely, 0.25 mg (mg = milligram = one thousandth of a gram) of lysergic acid diethylamide tartrate.

The description of the first LSD trip follows. Because even brilliant scientists throw caution to the wind when a rave beckons. Easily findable online in full form.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
this is just reminding me of one of my favorite moments in Acid Dreams, which you should all read if you haven't already

quote:

According to Major General William Creasy, chemical incapacitants went hand in glove with the strategic requirements of the Cold War. As chief officer of the Army Chemical Corps, Creasy promoted the psychochemical cause with eccentric and visionary zeal. He maintained that this type of warfare was not only feasible but tactically advantageous in certain situations. Consider, for example, the difficult task of dislodging enemy soldiers from a city inhabited by an otherwise friendly population—an industrial center perhaps, bustling with activity. Assume that the city housed numerous museums and cultural landmarks. Why blow to smithereens the best and worst alike with an old-fashioned artillery barrage? The prospect of obliterating the whole kit and caboodle seemed downright foolish to Creasy if you could get away with less.

Suppose instead you found a way to spike the city’s water supply or to release a hallucinogen in aerosol form. For twelve to twenty-four hours all the people in the vicinity would be hopelessly giddy, vertiginous, spaced-out. Those under the spell of madness gas would be incapable of raising a whimper of protest while American troops established themselves on what was once forbidden turf. Victory would be a foregone conclusion, as smooth and effortless as the French army in The King of Hearts strolling into a town inhabited solely by asylum inmates.

Yes, wouldn’t it be nice to take the teeth out of war and at the same time make its result so final? Just blow their minds, move in, and take over,- it was that simple—or so Creasy claimed. As soon as the citizenry recovered from their relatively brief stint in the ozone, everyone would return to a nine-to-five schedule. There’d be no fatalities and, except for a few borderline psychotics pushed over the edge by the drug, no sick or wounded needing medical care. Most important, the local economy would have suffered no significant setback.

Psychochemical weapons, Creasy argued, offered the most humane way of conducting the dirty business of warfare. He preached a new military gospel: war without death. An era of bloodless combat was just around the proverbial corner. There was only one problem. The sadly misinformed lay public and their elected officials harbored a knee-jerk aversion to chemical weapons.

In May 1959 Creasy took his case directly to the people by granting interviews to reporters and stumping for psychochemicals on a crosscountry lecture tour. “I do not contend that driving people crazy—even for a few hours—is a pleasant prospect,” he told This Week magazine. “But warfare is never pleasant. And to those who feel that any kind of chemical weapon is more horrible than conventional weapons, I put this question: Would you rather be temporarily deranged, blinded, or paralyzed by a chemical agent, or burned alive by a conventional fire bomb?”

Creasy testified a short time later to the House Committee on Science and Astronautics. He explained to the bewildered congressmen how a psychochemical “attacks the sensory, perception, and nerve centers of the body. . . discombobulating them. . . . Your hearing might be affected, your sight might be affected, your physical balance might be affected.” Moreover, these drugs worked so swiftly that people wouldn’t even know they’d been hit.

Representative James Fulton (R-Pa.) was disturbed by Creasy’s remarks. He wondered if some foreign power might already be subjecting people in the United States to such agents. “How can we determine it?” Fulton asked. “What is the test to see whether we are already being subjected to them? Are we under it now?. . . Are we the rabbits and the guinea pigs?. . . How are we to know?”

Simple, said Creasy. If LSD or a related drug was administered to members of Congress, “we could possibly have you dancing on the desks, or shouting Communist speeches.”

Fulton gasped. “Have you ever tried them on Congress?”

“I can assure you of one thing,” said Creasy. “The Chemical Corps of the Army has not found it necessary to do it up until now.”

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it would be a lot easier if all of american history was explainable as some kind of yet-unrealized LSD substitute that only settlers and colonialozers were affected with, corn LSD.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ergot of corncob

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
legalize it

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

crimedog posted:

legalize it

:yeah:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

crimedog posted:

legalize it

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

crimedog posted:

legalize it

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Punkin Spunkin posted:

this is just reminding me of one of my favorite moments in Acid Dreams, which you should all read if you haven't already

quote:

Suppose instead you found a way to spike the city’s water supply or to release a hallucinogen in aerosol form. For twelve to twenty-four hours all the people in the vicinity would be hopelessly giddy, vertiginous, spaced-out. Those under the spell of madness gas would be incapable of raising a whimper of protest while American troops established themselves on what was once forbidden turf. Victory would be a foregone conclusion, as smooth and effortless as the French army in The King of Hearts strolling into a town inhabited solely by asylum inmates.

LOL good luck spiking the tap water these days. You could do it, but a pretty significant chunk of people drink bottled water or don't drink water at all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Imagine how simple it would be with modern drones though. If your purpose was not to conquer but just to spread love terror, it wouldn't matter if only 50% were affected. It would be quite frightening, but also kind of cool.

I'm obviously not saying anyone should do a terrorism.

Edit: you wouldn't even need to drink it, a shower should allow to enter through exposed mucus membranes.

BonHair has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Dec 12, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BonHair posted:

Edit: you wouldn't even need to drink it, a shower should allow to enter through exposed mucus membranes.

Goons will rule supreme.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I miss the chevron ads with the talking cars

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

dex_sda posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergot#Saint_Anthony%27s_fire_and_the_Antonites

I highly recommend "LSD: My Problem Child" by Albert Hofmann, the creator of LSD, identifier of psylocibin and all around interesting guy. It contains a lot of information about entheogens from multiple perspectives, collated by an actual non-kooky scientist - which makes some poo poo even more eerie and interesting. For instance, LSD was actually first synthesized 5 years before its effect was discovered, and dismissed, but:

The description of the first LSD trip follows. Because even brilliant scientists throw caution to the wind when a rave beckons. Easily findable online in full form.

Holy poo poo, he started with 0.25 milligrams?

What a king.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
....250 micrograms is like a baby dose

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm probably mixed up, but I thought a typical dose was on the order of a few tens of micrograms.

I can't say I drop acid a lot lol

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

250 micrograms is a decent dose, but not an overpowering one. However, considering the setting he was in - a substance completely unknown to anyone derived from famously dangerous and lethal alkaloids - the trip was not going to be fun.

Anyone who would tell a first timer to drop 250 micro with no prep/info is a loving psychopath even if doses can go way higher.

dex_sda has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Dec 13, 2020

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
yeah a hit of acid has generally been roughly 100 micrograms around where I was buying acid, with people doing maybe 1-2 hits to be high but still relatively functional (concerts, parties, etc). 250 micrograms as the first person to ever do LSD must have been wild.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
250 actual micrograms of LSD is a moderate dose, definitely not a baby dose, that would knock any newbie's socks off

the black markets have warped peoples' perceptions of LSD dosage because they all inflate the numbers to sell more blotter

if I sell people 100ug blotter but advertise it as 150ug do you really think most people could tell the difference? there's lots of legit LSD out there now but I think advertised dosages are way off so now people think 250ug is a baby dose when it's really not

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

yes but only administered by licensed medical professionals in state approved clinical environments for therapeutic purposes

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Homocow posted:

yes but only administered by licensed medical professionals in state approved clinical environments for therapeutic purposes

Booooo :thumbsdown:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Homocow posted:

250 actual micrograms of LSD is a moderate dose, definitely not a baby dose, that would knock any newbie's socks off

the black markets have warped peoples' perceptions of LSD dosage because they all inflate the numbers to sell more blotter

if I sell people 100ug blotter but advertise it as 150ug do you really think most people could tell the difference? there's lots of legit LSD out there now but I think advertised dosages are way off so now people think 250ug is a baby dose when it's really not

Yeah last time I was around drugs regularly was before the dorknet was a thing so doses seemed a lot more sane-sounding than they do today

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Homocow posted:

I could probably get that if I move down and dom a few doctors (I have to do it for gender stuff on occasion)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah last time I was around drugs regularly was before the dorknet was a thing so doses seemed a lot more sane-sounding than they do today

If it wasn't as illegal as it is I'd quite like to try synthesizing LSD one day (if I could then send my legal LSD to someone for quality/safety checking). It'd probably take me years to get to the point where I could, but drat it would be a fun longterm motivator to learn chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dex_sda posted:

quote:

Nevertheless, in the spring of 1943, I repeated the synthesis of LSD-25. As in the first synthesis, this involved the production of only a few centigrams of the compound.

Anyone using ‘centigrams’ is already deep in the clutches of a deliriant.